Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero chance that fight will ever happen

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jorge at WW would be too much for Conor. There are divisions for a reason.
    155 Jorge is a different story. But he's not getting back down.

Prehaps the quote is out of context. But there's something kinda pathetic about the fact Jorge is calling out a LW and not guys in his own division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Jorge playing it smart and angling for what would be an easier fight. Usman would murder him. Tyrone would murder him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    Jorge at WW would be too much for Conor. There are divisions for a reason.
    155 Jorge is a different story. But he's not getting back down.

Prehaps the quote is out of context. But there's something kinda pathetic about the fact Jorge is calling out a LW and not guys in his own division.

Not really, he pretty much says he wants that fight for the money, same as all the rest.

I'm sure he would fight Conor at 155 if that's what Conor wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone calling out McGregor makes sense. One fight with him and you're basically set for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Jorge playing it smart and angling for what would be an easier fight. Usman would murder him. Tyrone would murder him.

Noone has or ever will 'murder' Masvidal. He is too well rounded, can handle himself everywhere. Usman is a decision machine and Tyron (Not Tyrone btw, that's a county) hasn't looked great recently. Masvidal definitely has a very good chance in both those fights.

spix wrote: »
    Noone has or ever will 'murder' Masvidal. He is too well rounded, can handle himself everywhere. Usman is a decision machine and Tyron (Not Tyrone btw, that's a county) hasn't looked great recently. Masvidal definitely has a very good chance in both those fights.

They would both manhandle Masvidal with ease. Just because he ko'd an overhyped Till and a poser like Askren doesn't mean he will have a chance against either of them.

I guarantee Conor will never fight anyone who has a good few knockouts on their record, which definitely rules out Masvidal seeing as he just flatlined two 170lbers and also knocked out Cowboy.

He will be happy to wait and get his last 1 or 2 big paydays against Diaz and/or Khabib, which are definitely the 2 least dangerous strikers out of all his possible opponents. Worst case scenario he loses a decision or gets submitted, which has already happened so isn't that big a deal if it happens again. Getting knocked out though is definitely something he will try to avoid, and understandably so. He has the luxury of being very careful about who he fights unlike alot of other fighters. Why fight someone with powerful punches, powerful kicks, knees, elbows in their arsenal if you don't have to.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm sure he would fight Conor at 155 if that's what Conor wanted.
    I doubt he makes 155 at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    They would both manhandle Masvidal with ease. Just because he ko'd an overhyped Till and a poser like Askren doesn't mean he will have a chance against either of them.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

I guarantee Conor will never fight anyone who has a good few knockouts on their record, which definitely rules out Masvidal seeing as he just flatlined two 170lbers and also knocked out Cowboy.

He will be happy to wait and get his last 1 or 2 big paydays against Diaz and/or Khabib, which are definitely the 2 least dangerous strikers out of all his possible opponents. Worst case scenario he loses a decision or gets submitted, which has already happened so isn't that big a deal if it happens again. Getting knocked out though is definitely something he will try to avoid, and understandably so. He has the luxury of being very careful about who he fights unlike alot of other fighters. Why fight someone with powerful punches, powerful kicks, knees, elbows in their arsenal if you don't have to.

Conor took a lot more damange vs Nate than Aksren did against Masvidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mdwexford wrote: »
    Conor took a lot more damange vs Nate than Aksren did against Masvidal.

So what. The poster wasn’t making that point..

The poster was talking about KO danger..

walshb wrote: »
    So what. The poster wasn’t making that point..

The poster was talking about KO danger..

That was his first sentence.

Implying Conor would be afraid to fight knockout artists. A one punch ko is a lot less damaging than a five round war.

You don’t have a clue anyway so toddle off somewhere else.

Implying Conor would be afraid to fight knockout artists. A one punch ko is a lot less damaging than a five round war.

Someone had a bad day at the office...:D

So first Conor was avoiding BJJ guys, then wrestlers, and hand picking strikers.
    Now he’s avoiding strikers??? We’ve gone full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

So first Conor was avoiding BJJ guys, then wrestlers, and hand picking strikers.

People really do have short memories.

The Alvarez mcgregor would obliterate masvidal at 55 imo.

Now obviously, it's a different story,

But mcgregor never ducked anyone. He might be alot of negative things, but ducker isn't one of them.

I'm not talking about damage. (Saying that, Conor has recently said something regarding bj penn implying he thinks getting knocked out is more damaging then repeated less damaging blows)

I'm talking about how it would affect his ego/reputation. Not ever getting knocked out throughout his career is definitely something he would like to keep before he quits. It would definitely severely hurt his ego and brand reputation if he got knocked out cold. He would be stupid to fight someone who can do that to him when he doesn't have to. Khabib/diaz fights will be there for him soon, regardless of if they win or lose their scheduled fights.

Going by how he has been taking diaz/mayweather/khabibs punches in his recent fights, the last thing he wants is to fight someone with ko ability in their strikes. I don't see any possible path to victory for conor against someone like cowboy or masvidal unless he drastically improves. He was getting hit alot by diaz and khabib, neither of which have the striking variation or power that cowboy/masvidal have. And to make matters worse both of them are naturally bigger and far more proven on the ground as well. I don't believe conor ever avoided wrestlers (who ever started that?) personally I think a wrestler is his best style match up.

Going by how he has been taking diaz/mayweather/khabibs punches in his recent fights, the last thing he wants is to fight someone with ko ability in their strikes. I don't see any possible path to victory for conor against someone like cowboy or masvidal unless he drastically improves. He was getting hit alot by diaz and khabib, neither of which have the striking variation or power that cowboy/masvidal have. And to make matters worse both of them are naturally bigger and far more proven on the ground as well. I don't believe conor ever avoided wrestlers (who ever started that?) personally I think a wrestler is his best style match up.
    Masvidal is a welterweight. Weight divisions exist for a reason. The fact he hits harder than Conor’s opponents is not much of a criticism really.

Khabib’s a wrestler. He hit Conor a lot on the ground but not much standing. Only a few strikes per round. The big overhand stands out, that’s all.
    I can’t help but notice you left Alvarez out of the recent fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Masvidal is a welterweight. Weight divisions exist for a reason. The fact he hits harder than Conor’s opponents is not much of a criticism really.

Khabib’s a wrestler. He hit Conor a lot on the ground but not much standing. Only a few strikes per round. The big overhand stands out, that’s all.
    I can’t help but notice you left Alvarez out of the recent fights.

Masvidal is a former strikeforce lw champion he's small for a ww. Wouldn't be much between him and Conor, wouldn't far off diaz size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

rob316 wrote: »
    Masvidal is a former strikeforce lw champion he's small for a ww. Wouldn't be much between him and Conor, wouldn't far off diaz size.

Fact is, Conor is a natural lightweight. Masvidal is probably a 165. There's a size discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Fact is, Conor is a natural lightweight. Masvidal is probably a 165. There's a size discrepancy.

Conor is a natural welterweight, he walks around at 170 ish

rob316 wrote: »

When Masvidal was last fighting at LW, Conor was fighting at FW.
    Either way there was a division between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Is everyone optimistic that he will fight again?? I'm not convinced. So much politics involved now with paydays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Maybe he's lost the fire. Or maybe he's just being economical.
    If he fights constantly he'd makes less per fight. By fighting once per year, he cashes in on the spectacle. It's not like he's gonna tumble down the rankings.

exactly

Not his biggest fan but all he needs is one money fight..ala diaz or khabib to make another 20-30mill
    Then his usual media tour helps to sell his whiskey etc

The more I think of it I imagine the Diaz fight next and last for him

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Conor is a natural welterweight, he walks around at 170 ish

He doesn't mean walk around weight, natural as in what weight class they can make without extreme weight cutting. Masvidal definitely walks around heavier than Conor, he has to cut to 170 whereas Conor in fighting shape is 168 without any cut. He definitely has at least 10lbs on Conor.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Is everyone optimistic that he will fight again?? I'm not convinced. So much politics involved now with paydays etc.

He'll fight once the Diaz/Khabib fights are available.

He doesn't mean walk around weight, natural as in what weight class they can make without extreme weight cutting. Masvidal definitely walks around heavier than Conor, he has to cut to 170 whereas Conor in fighting shape is 168 without any cut. He definitely has at least 10lbs on Conor.
    That's not what natural means...

Natural means what weight you normally are. Conor is normally 170 ish, so a welterweight.
    Masvidal is likely a middleweight, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That's not what natural means...

Natural means what weight you normally are. Conor is normally 170 ish, so a welterweight.
    Masvidal is likely a middleweight, etc.

OK, well if you choose to take it that way then Masvidal is a natural middleweight, as he would not make the welterweight limit without a water cut, even if it is a reasonable small one.

Pastorbarretts point still stands that Masvidals walkaround weight is higher than mcgregors, he's a couple of inches taller. He's a naturally bigger person.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    OK, well if you choose to take it that way then Masvidal is a natural middleweight, as he would not make the welterweight limit without a water cut, even if it is a reasonable small one.

Pastorbarretts point still stands that Masvidals walkaround weight is higher than mcgregors, he's a couple of inches taller. He's a naturally bigger person.
    Oh I wasn't doubting that Masvidal is bigger, he definitely is. A few of the guys that fight in LW walk around heavier than Conor.

Didn't RDA say he was around 190 ish when he was fighting in LW? Khabib cuts a fair bit as well.

Advertisement