Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yaguhu cloud

per MMAjunkie, Dana says could be early next year by the time Conor fights, won't get winner of Khabib v Poirier, elsewhere he's said it won't be Jorge Masvidal either

instagram. com/p/B0BpDbSHOgf/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's retired since the mayweather fight, I'm convinced he only took that khabib fight to promote the whiskey. You saw it when he walked out, his heart wasn't in it anymore. He'll keep stringing along the public on social media that he's coming back while the money rolls in from the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ufcs biggest mistake letting the Mayweather fight happen doubt very much the ferrttias would have let it go ahead. Good for Conor obviously but for us it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

He still has a six-fight deal with UFC does he not?
    But yeah, at this stage he's a Whiskey rep, and making good money no doubt.
    However, that revenue stream is largely based off his persona and fighting legacy - there will be huge interest when he comes back, I don't doubt that, but if he loses again I do think his stock (figuratively speaking) will take a hit.
    Its been said previously, even though he lost to Khabib last time out, Khabibs cage-jumping took the focus off McGregors loss - keeping McGregors rep more in tact than it otherwise might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I reckon when McGregor is finished fighting, the whiskey sales will take a big hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Has he even made that much off the whiskey though. I read somewhere it sold about €40 million worth so far. Dont know what his cut is but hes probably taking home less than half that. He pockets about €20-30 mill a fight and could easy do 3 a year. Id be getting as much out of the fight game while I was young if I was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

macnug wrote: »
    Has he even made that much off the whiskey though. I read somewhere it sold about €40 million worth so far. Dont know what his cut is but hes probably taking home less than half that. He pockets about €20-30 mill a fight and could easy do 3 a year. Id be getting as much out of the fight game while I was young if I was him.
    I'd be making millions from not getting punched, elbowed, kicked, choked, & hurt physically in other ways if I was him. Not to mention the money he already has now. According to Forbes he has already made $47,000,000 this year alone. His net worth is estimated to be between $100,000,000 & 200,000,000. He should be done with fighting for his own sake, he has no need whatsoever to fight.

Easy do 3 a year? He's gone 30 now do you have any idea how hard it is to keep in that shape? 3 times in a year is the most any pro fighter will fight, he's got too much money to fight full time again.
    He got 100m for a fake boxing fight, the most he can get is about a third in MMA. He has no motivation and you couldn't blame him.

And the aim isn't making money annually from the whiskey, the aim is selling the brand for enormous money. George Clooney sold Casamigos, his tequila brand to Diageo for 1bn, him and his partners pocketed 300m each.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He pockets about €20-30 mill a fight and could easy do 3 a year.
    He made that on his last fight.
    If he fought 3 times a yes consistently, he’d make much less per fight. Diminishing returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Diceicle wrote: »
    He still has a six-fight deal with UFC does he not?
    But yeah, at this stage he's a Whiskey rep, and making good money no doubt.
    However, that revenue stream is largely based off his persona and fighting legacy - there will be huge interest when he comes back, I don't doubt that, but if he loses again I do think his stock (figuratively speaking) will take a hit.
    Its been said previously, even though he lost to Khabib last time out, Khabibs cage-jumping took the focus off McGregors loss - keeping McGregors rep more in tact than it otherwise might have been.

The contract doesn't mean he has to fight 6 fights, it just means he can't fight for any other company until those 6 are done. There's a good chance he never fights again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The contract doesn't mean he has to fight 6 fights, it just means he can't fight for any other company until those 6 are done. There's a good chance he never fights again.

True, but its not unreasonable to assume that by signing he would fight again in the near future - maybe not the full six.
    Though he's not showing any sign of it as of yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: MMA Talk only folks...Off Topic thread for chatting about his whiskey etc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967976&page=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Today is 5 years exactly from ufc Dublin when Mcgregor headlined. The run up to that and the 3 years after were the most exciting years of sport I have ever witnessed all because of McGregor, and I am a hardcore soccer (Liverpool and Ireland) and gaa (not Dublin!!) fan. Even since I am still fully invested in his 1 fight per year, although his behavior hasn’t been good. If only the old Conor would come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Axwell wrote: »
    Mod: MMA Talk only folks...Off Topic thread for chatting about his whiskey etc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967976&page=20

Might as well just lock the thread then. There's nothing else Conor related to talk about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Might as well just lock the thread then. There's nothing else Conor related to talk about.

Plenty of talk the last few days about potential fights...let the mods worry about the threads, if you yourself don't have anything to talk about then you don't have to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Today is 5 years exactly from ufc Dublin when Mcgregor headlined. The run up to that and the 3 years after were the most exciting years of sport I have ever witnessed all because of McGregor, and I am a hardcore soccer (Liverpool and Ireland) and gaa (not Dublin!!) fan. Even since I am still fully invested in his 1 fight per year, although his behavior hasn’t been good. If only the old Conor would come back.

The old Conor was hungry for success and poor. It's harder to get up in the morning when you are sleeping in silk sheets.

Couple that with the fact that it's a lot more fun beating up guys who are smaller than you like he was at Featherweight. He doesn't have the size or reach at Lightweight. It's harder. Having a physical advantage is big, especially in reach. Just ask Jon Jones. He has it in every fight.

Personally, I think he'll fight again. Probably in November. If not, maybe next march/april. Privately, he's probably hoping either Dustin or Tony beats Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kirby wrote: »
    Couple that with the fact that it's a lot more fun beating up guys who are smaller than you like he was at Featherweight. He doesn't have the size or reach at Lightweight. It's harder. Having a physical advantage is big, especially in reach. Just ask Jon Jones. He has it in every fight.
    Post makes no sense. McGregor has one of the longest reaches in the lightweight top ten. Oh and the champ at lightweight has one of if not the shortest reaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Pighead wrote: »
    Post makes no sense. McGregor has one of the longest reaches in the lightweight top ten. Oh and the champ at lightweight has one of if not the shortest reaches!

McGregor's reach would still be up there in the middleweights never mind the Lightweights ....same reach as Woodley and slight advantage over current champ Whittacker

Pighead wrote: »

The champ cuts a lot more than Conor. He's bigger. Or would you argue that too? Nate Diaz? Donald Cerrone? Tony? Gaethje? These are all "smaller" than Conor?

These are much bigger men than he fought at featherweight. Trying to argue otherwise is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The champ cuts a lot more than Conor. He's bigger. Or would you argue that too? Nate Diaz? Donald Cerrone? Tony? Gaethje? These are all "smaller" than Conor?

These are much bigger men than he fought at featherweight. Trying to argue otherwise is ridiculous.

Of course they're bigger than the guys he fought at featherweight. They're lightweights, lightweights are generally bigger than featherweights.

Exactly. Which is why I find it bizarre anybody would say differently. But they did apparently.

Exactly. Which is why I find it bizarre anybody would say differently. But they did apparently.

The poster quoted you saying he doesn't have the reach of of a lightweight......which is cobblers of course, he doesn't have the height/size advantage he had at featherweight .......breaking news fighters at bigger weight are bigger

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The poster quoted you saying he doesn't have the reach of of a lightweight......which is cobblers of course

No, thats not what I said. I never said he doesn't have the "reach of a lightweight" so please don't misquote or strawman.

I said he doesn't have the same advantages in size and reach he did at featherweight....which is true. McGregor outreached everyone at FW. He doesn't at LW.

Tony Ferguson has a 76 inch reach.
    Nate Diaz also has a 76 inch reach.

As you say, shock horror people are bigger in a bigger weight class but what I said was true. He had physical advantages in FW that he doesn't in LW. Both in size and reach. People in this forum like to nitpick for some reason.

No, thats not what I said. I never said he doesn't have the "reach of a lightweight" so please don't misquote or strawman.

I said he doesn't have the same advantages in size and reach he did at featherweight....which is true. McGregor outreached everyone at FW. He doesn't at LW.

Tony Ferguson has a 76 inch reach.
    Nate Diaz also has a 76 inch reach.

As you say, shock horror people are bigger in a bigger weight class but what I said was true. He had physical advantages in FW that he doesn't in LW. Both in size and reach. People in this forum like to nitpick for some reason.

He doesn't have the size or reach at Lightweight

Well then you needed to quantify that line......it didn't read he doesn't have the advantage ....it read he doesn't have it full stop

as has been pointed out his reach is equal to or better than many lightweights ...and wouldn't be out of place at middleweight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Diaz and Ferguson have above average reach for LW, being taller than most as well.

Conor didn't have too much trouble with the reach advantage of Diaz, it's not that big a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Diaz and Ferguson have above average reach for LW, being taller than most as well.

Conor didn't have too much trouble with the reach advantage of Diaz, it's not that big a deal.

Nate Diaz landed 252 strikes (166 significant) in their second fight and set a record for both the most strikes landed by a single fighter in UFC history and most landed in a single fight at the same time. The second record was only beaten by Max Holloway in the Ortega fight a few months ago.

But Nate was 9 feet tall, weighed 245lbs, and eats anti-matter for breaky.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Diaz should be his next and final fight ..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nate Diaz landed 252 strikes (166 significant) in their second fight and set a record for both the most strikes landed by a single fighter in UFC history and most landed in a single fight at the same time. The second record was only beaten by Max Holloway in the Ortega fight a few months ago. .
    Where are you getting that “most in a single fight” record from? That’s complete pony. Not saying you made it up, just where ever you read it.

Nate’s landed 260 (238 significant) against Cowboy back in 2011. That was over 3 rounds.
    So 202 wasn’t even Nates best, let along a UFC record.

It wasn’t not close to a UFC record either;

Miocic landed 361 total strikes against Hunt in 2015.
    Chael Sonnen landed 320 total strikes against Anderson Silva at UFC 117.
    Royce Grace held the previous record with 355, back at UFC 5, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Useless but impressive stat.

Conor's the only fighter in UFC history to average 1+ knockdowns per fight.

Advertisement