Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Clinch work is probably one of the more draining things to be doing, it's exhausting.
    If he can work that front teep back into things it'll help a lot, those stabbing teeps suck the life out of you.

True. But in Conors case I think standing toe to toe seems to exhaust him even more, in the clinch although he tires and gets sloppy, hes shown he can survive there and go the distance.

Good point on the teep. Its a great ancilliary weapon of his, if he can utilize that and stay on the outside it could be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People underestimated Dustin going into the last fight.
    I think people are going to underestimate Conor this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mma_noobie

Mellor wrote: »
    People underestimated Dustin going into the last fight.
    I think people are going to underestimate Conor this time around.

The only person who underestimated Poirer was Conor.

Dustin is an animal and Conor wasn't ready.

I read on r/mma that in the 6 years since they last faced each other Poirer has been upskilling and working hard. Conor has been partying and sidetracked.

Conor's rise got me into the sport, but he is so one dimensional.

Poirer showed he can handle Conor's power last fight (although I though Conor looked very small compared to Poirer?).

I think Poirer breaks Conor mentally (as we have seen with Conor throughout his career when his left hand doesn't have the desired effect) and overwhelms him again,

Also, Conor seems to be doing his own exercise training out in Dubai ?

He doesn't seem to be sparring, wrestling, ju-jitsuing etc at all

Dustin posted a gram of himself at the ju jitsu yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

mma_noobie wrote: »

Honestly seems he is more happy to be away on hols, definitely not the look of someone dedicated to the task ahead.

Then again maybe he will have an extremely buy pre fight camp - just seems Dustin is taking this far more serious when really based on the last fight Conor is the one needing to put in the work.

• Advertisement

Well that’s clearly not true.
    January wasn’t long ago, but people have short memories it seems.
    It probably a mistake to assume what you see on Instagram is the full extent of his training.

I haven’t seen post any grappling. Are you sure?
    I’m sure he’s working on it, just privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

His thumb has been getting a good workout with all the Tweeting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dustin is an animal and Conor wasn't ready.

I read on r/mma that in the 6 years since they last faced each other Poirer has been upskilling and working hard. Conor has been partying and sidetracked.

Conor's rise got me into the sport, but he is so one dimensional.

Poirer showed he can handle Conor's power last fight (although I though Conor looked very small compared to Poirer?).

I think Poirer breaks Conor mentally (as we have seen with Conor throughout his career when his left hand doesn't have the desired effect) and overwhelms him again,

Not sure if it was the bald head but Conor looked much smaller in comparison to Dustin last time out,

Iv said it plenty of times he is small light weight that pumps himself up to make the weight ,Conor is very much all show no go lately,

If you look at Conor v Khabib weigh in Connor looked very muscular Khabib didn't , When two guys weigh the same that is obvious sign that Khabib was naturally a much bigger man ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Conor is not a small lightweight, he's about the norm. I'd hazard a guess he's cutting from about 175 now, so nearly the same amount of weight as for featherweight when his walk around weight was 170.
    Khabib was huge for the weight and Poirier has a thicker frame than him so looks bigger.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Conor is not a small lightweight, he's about the norm. I'd hazard a guess he's cutting from about 175 now, so nearly the same amount of weight as for featherweight when his walk around weight was 170.
    Khabib was huge for the weight and Poirier has a thicker frame than him so looks bigger.

He might cut from 175 the same as others but if you look at him most of his weight is from being pumped up and carrying loads of extra muscle so he is not naturally that size

Forget Khabib even for Example take Ferguson ,Justin , Hooker , Olivera none of them carry anywhere near the muscle mass of Conor but weigh the same so naturally they are bigger men than him ,

Is it no surprise out off all of the above its Conor who has the worst gas tank , its because he carries around extra weight for his frame ,

• Advertisement

Forget Khabib even for Example take Ferguson ,Justin , Hooker , Olivera none of them carry anywhere near the muscle mass of Conor but weigh the same so naturally they are bigger men than him
    If they all weight the same, how are they “bigger”? In what way.
    If they are carrying less muscle, what are they carrying more of? Fat? Not much if any imo.

Most of those are obviously taller, but then to make 155 they’d be skinnier with the same muscle mass. I don’t think there much between any of them.

No way Conor cuts from 175? Looks far too small to my eyes (not scientific i know)

I still can't get over just how easily Poirer dismantled him in the last fight. Not on a wind up but I would be amazed if Conor gets past the first round in the next fight.

All Dustin has to do is overwhelm and Conor crumbles.

As for Conor's career after the fight...one of the YouTubers is probably on the cards.

He used to weigh 170 and has bulked up a bit since he doesn't cut to 145 anymore, so 175 would be a reasonable guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Dustin said on Helwani show esterday he's 178 now. Would say Mcgregor is similar enough to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Honestly seems he is more happy to be away on hols, definitely not the look of someone dedicated to the task ahead.

Then again maybe he will have an extremely buy pre fight camp - just seems Dustin is taking this far more serious when really based on the last fight Conor is the one needing to put in the work.

Agree with this, hes out in Dubai with a few security guards and his mcgregor fast charlatan coaches, his ego doesn't allow him to train with good training partners that might humble him.

He hasnt a prayer of winning this rematch Dustin is better in every single facet of mma bar counter punching possibly, and that wont be enough to save him.

Agree with this, hes out in Dubai with a few security guards and his mcgregor fast charlatan coaches, his ego doesn't allow him to train with good training partners that might humble him.

He hasnt a prayer of winning this rematch Dustin is better in every single facet of mma bar counter punching possibly, and that wont be enough to save him.

The counter left has long been sussed! Dustin ate it with ease the last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Not sure if it was the bald head but Conor looked much smaller in comparison to Dustin last time out,

Iv said it plenty of times he is small light weight that pumps himself up to make the weight ,Conor is very much all show no go lately,

If you look at Conor v Khabib weigh in Connor looked very muscular Khabib didn't , When two guys weigh the same that is obvious sign that Khabib was naturally a much bigger man ,

This. Hes a pumped up lw.

I dont know how many of you have seen him in person but he is not a big guy at all. He is ripped and has wide shoulders and small hips, which make him look bigger on tv, but his overall frame is that of a little guy.

Hes very much a jockey or small whippet footballer type build. Definitely on the smaller side of average irish males.

Dustin is much more naturally big boned and stockier, as are most of the rest of the division compared to conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yep ....he looked like a flyweight fighting at lightweight

maxresdefault.jpg

or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,376 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mma_noobie wrote:

No, as I said earlier the majority think it'll be the same as the previous time they met. That's why Conor was heavy favourite to win.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yep ....he looked like a flyweight fighting at lightweight

maxresdefault.jpg

or something...

ah come on the angle completely favours Conor ,
    Look at them in the weigh in they both have the same size shoulders but Dustin waist is a wide as his shoulders, Conor has a very thin waist and carries far more upper body muscle than Dustin ,

Dustin is naturally a bigger bloke ,

• Advertisement

Spot on.

The lighting, perspective gives the illusion of Conor being bigger.

In 2 of his last 3 fights he has been knocked down (sandwiched in between giving up against Mayweather).

His chin is deteriorating and doesn't have the stamina/mental toughness to go 5 rounds with Dustin.

Dustin dominates him again.

Spot on.

The lighting, perspective gives the illusion of Conor being bigger.

In 2 of his last 3 fights he has been knocked down (sandwiched in between giving up against Mayweather).

His chin is deteriorating and doesn't have the stamina/mental toughness to go 5 rounds with Dustin.

Dustin dominates him again.

McGregor been knocked down or stunned by Dustin, Khabib, Floyd , Diaz 1 ,

The only time he's been hit and not hurt since he moved up to lightweight is Diaz 2 ,

Cerrone & Eddie never hit him .,

Spot on.

He loses all confidence and visibly loses his facade when he gets stung.

Terrible at disguising when he is hurt, he just crumples.

If they all weight the same, how are they “bigger”? In what way.
    If they are carrying less muscle, what are they carrying more of? Fat? Not much if any imo.

Most of those are obviously taller, but then to make 155 they’d be skinnier with the same muscle mass. I don’t think there much between any of them.

Mellor iv I'm not mistaken you've been in around the sport for a long time ,
    Surely you know guys can weigh the same and one can bigger and stronger ,

Conor has added lots of extra muscle to his natural frame to go up to light weight ,Remember muscle does not mean strength when it comes to grappling and fighting , We have all been grappling when a muscle bound freak comes in and gets mauled ,
    Where other guys have no extra muscle on there frame and weigh the same there for they are the naturally bigger men ,

Conor.
    Is.
    A.
    Lightweight.

(Technically he's actually a welterweight, but weight cutting is a thing, so lightweight it is)

He looked like death cutting to 145, he was too big for that weight class. He doesn't look like an emaciated corpse at 155.
    He just has a more defined physique than some fighters, likely because he likes to look in shape and not "soft"
    He's also about the average height for a lightweight and has an above average reach.

Different physiques exist.

Mellor iv I'm not mistaken you've been in around the sport for a long time ,
    Surely you know guys can weigh the same and one can bigger and stronger ,
    Weigh the same same but one is stronger. Of course. Muscles don’t equal strength. But we never mentioned strength.

Weight the same, but be bigger. I don’t understand that. Bigger how? Size is typically measured by mass. Ie kilograms or pounds.
    If I’m 80kg and your 77kg. I’m bigger.
    Conor has added lots of extra muscle to his natural frame to go up to light weight ,Remember muscle does not mean strength when it comes to grappling and fighting , We have all been grappling when a muscle bound freak comes in and gets mauled ,
    The muscle bound freak gets mauled because he has no skill. Nothing to do with natural weight.
    Where other guys have no extra muscle on there frame and weigh the same there for they are the naturally bigger men ,
    Are you trying to say a persons natural weight if they never trained verses a weight they’ve bulked up to? I don’t think that’s significant. If they both walk at 175kg then neither is bigger. A fighter is bigger when they cut more to weigh in.

Dustin is a big 155er. He’s certainly bigger than he was in the past.
    032_Dustin_Poirier.0.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I mean I think the obvious fact lying out there is that it seems pretty like Conor is just an elite journeyman at 155. I say "journeyman" exclusively in the context of being at the relative top of the UFC, but not quite able to hang with the top players. (Masvidal being a classic example)

The "problem" is that people expect so much from him based on his past, and particularly his run at FW. And because of his fame, he gets shots at the highest level guys, when he's far more likely to lose those fights.

He'll always have a chance, and can probably hang in the top 15 handily enough, but he'll probably end up fighting high level guys the odd time he fights.

And his coaching/training seems to be a huge problem. Squandering massive potential. No disrespect to those guys but they are totally out of their depth at that level and they are doing more harm than good. I think that's what's really frustrating. McGregor could be so much better than he already is with a proper team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

ah come on the angle completely favours Conor ,
    Look at them in the weigh in they both have the same size shoulders but Dustin waist is a wide as his shoulders, Conor has a very thin waist and carries far more upper body muscle than Dustin ,

Dustin is naturally a bigger bloke ,

You said McGregor looked 'much smaller' ........you can hedge your bets and call the picture on angles, lighting and whatever else but the fact is yourdeadwrong to say either of these 2 fighters looked 'much smaller'

Homelander wrote: »
    I mean I think the obvious fact lying out there is that it seems pretty like Conor is just an elite journeyman at 155.
    On their own elite and journeyman are probably the two words people will argue over the most on here.
    And went and slapped them together. Bravo.
    The "problem" is that people expect so much from him based on his past, and particularly his run at FW. And because of his fame, he gets shots at the highest level guys, when he's far more likely to lose those fights.
    I think the problem is that many people only got into MMA due to his FW run. Which was a pretty amazing time tbf. He deserved it, he was the best in the world without question. But a lot of things went his way.
    People had this expectation that he’d be invincible continuously. They expect these wins, oblivious to the fact that any top 5 contender could finish any other on their night.
    And his coaching/training seems to be a huge problem. Squandering massive potential. No disrespect to those guys but they are totally out of their depth at that level and they are doing more harm than good. I think that's what's really frustrating. McGregor could be so much better than he already is with a proper team.
    I really have to agree with this. John has well established jiu jitsu credentials. Which is impressive considering he was largely self taught. And his mma coaching was largely a solo too. Which is good enough for the local scene, against a mix of grapplers and kickboxers having a go at MMA.
    It’s crazy to think he can game plan for an elite fighter. Very few people can do that.
    GSP was one of the best and most well rounded fighters. And he had a team of experts.complete opposite mentality to Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

GSP was one of the best and most well rounded fighters. And he had a team of experts.complete opposite mentality to Conor.

Plus GSP doesn't have the ego Conor has. Georges has no problem being the worst guy in the room if it makes him a better fighter. Georges is assessing his weaknesses after every fight with his coaches. Even after the fights he won. Conor clearly thinks he's perfect.

The difference in mindset between GSP and Conor is like night and day.

Advertisement