Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

walshb wrote: »
    Hammered?

That fight told us two things....

1. Conor is not a boxer and never will or would have been one

2. Floyd is a fooking windbag taking ten rounds to win....scared ****less of getting hit and having to wait till a non boxer got tired before going to work.

The only stain left in that ring was on Floyd....in looking pathetic taking ten rounds to beat Conor.......AND he was not playing with him in any round. Made an absolute meal out of beating Conor
    quit embarrassing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I see we've gone back to 2017 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    2. Floyd is a fooking windbag taking ten rounds to win....scared ****less of getting hit and having to wait till a non boxer got tired before going to work.
    That's called being smart, not being scared.
    It's why hes had such a long career. The best defense in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

walshb wrote: »
    Poirier and Conor are very similarly sized men....naturally similarly sized....

We're talking very little for either being bigger....

Course they are, you only have to look at them .....Poirier is slightly wider round the mid section and that's about it ........they both fought at featherweight , if one was noticeably bigger than the other he was never getting down to a 145 weight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sonofenoch wrote: »
    ........they both fought at featherweight , if one was noticeably bigger than the other he was never getting down to a 145 weight
    Exactly. The way people are going it you’d swear he was fighting a big WW at 165.

There’s a few things that often happen with rematches.
    People overlook of the loser of the previous fight.
    And also can’t see past the way that fight went.
    Also the odds do a huge flip.

In Jan fight Dustin was a big underdog. Conor could potentially be the underdog here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Mellor wrote: »
    Exactly. The way people are going it you’d swear he was fighting a big WW at 165.

There’s a few things that often happen with rematches.
    People overlook of the loser of the previous fight.
    And also can’t see past the way that fight went.
    Also the odds do a huge flip.

In Jan fight Dustin was a big underdog. Conor could potentially be the underdog here.

I do think everyone here is looking at Conor off on his holidays, kids birthday in the news (nothing wrong with that). And assume rightly or wrongly that he isn't putting in the hard yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Considering he hasn't done a days training with Kavanagh Roddy or Sergei in months I think we can safely assume he is out dossing in Dubai.

Considering he hasn't done a days training with Kavanagh Roddy or Sergei in months I think we can safely assume he is out dossing in Dubai.

All I see are videos of him jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I would say they will be heading out soon for the camp or he'll be heading back.

Edit: He's on the sauce though so they better get out there soon https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/5/8/22426101/conor-mcgregor-calls-khabib-nurmagomedovhomophobic-in-deleted-twitter-rant-ufc-mma-news

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How does he hope to improve of hes not doing anything to help him improve
    Seems to think he only need to train in fight camp, im sure Dustin has been in the gym learning and brushing up on techniques while Conor just barely keeping himself ticking over soing hos own cardio work outs

Conor seems deluded,

Unless as i said before he knows something we don't, as in some kind of injury or problem going inot the last fight, it all seemed to nice to calm like he didn't feel like ge could ve brass or confident,

• Advertisement

I do think everyone here is looking at Conor off on his holidays, kids birthday in the news (nothing wrong with that). And assume rightly or wrongly that he isn't putting in the hard yards.
    That’s certainly one aspect of it. Personally I would have expected him to be in the gym, working on kickboxing and TDD. On the other hand, if he was in there doing the usual. They’d also be comments of “he needs to work his cardio” not his striking.

Regardless, my point about rematches stands outside of any training comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mma_noobie

Conor is going to get beaten soundly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I would say they will be heading out soon for the camp or he'll be heading back.

Edit: He's on the sauce though so they better get out there soon https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/5/8/22426101/conor-mcgregor-calls-khabib-nurmagomedovhomophobic-in-deleted-twitter-rant-ufc-mma-news

Regardless of Conor's actions, It's not like John will try stop him anyway, he thinks about the money that's it, Conor can do what he wants and John will make a comment about it after the fact rather than tell him to cop on.

You just need to look at the Khabib fight, Conor was a train wreck, drinking at press conference's. Yet the "godfather of irish MMA" wouldn't say boo until after his cheque cleared and then does an interview saying he wasn't happy about it to save face

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mma_noobie wrote:
    Conor is going to get beaten soundly
    Amazing how you come back with that comment but no response toy comments regarding Alvarez beating Chandler and RDA before facing Conor.

Also making a comment like that without any explanation means nothing. It's like what a casual fan would say, somebody who doesn't really understand the sport and how different rematches are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

fitzparker wrote: »
    Regardless of Conor's actions, It's not like John will try stop him anyway, he thinks about the money that's it, Conor can do what he wants and John will make a comment about it after the fact rather than tell him to cop on.

You just need to look at the Khabib fight, Conor was a train wreck, drinking at press conference's. Yet the "godfather of irish MMA" wouldn't say boo until after his cheque cleared and then does an interview saying he wasn't happy about it to save face

Tough position for John. Life changing money at stake for him.

What bothered me most about kavanagh was his appearance on Ariels after the porier loss.

He was sitting in his white robe, in a luxurious backdrop, beaming from ear to ear as if he just won the lottery. (Which he probably kind of did).

It was a terrible look.

He also seemed to absolve himself from all blame that 'you cant train for those kicks' and then contradicting himself that they will be ready for them next time.

There was no fire, no hunger or passion, just acceptance and contentment. I know hes into all his zen jazz but the loss just seemed to sit way to easy with him .

Tough position for John. Life changing money at stake for him.

What bothered me most about kavanagh was his appearance on Ariels after the porier loss.

He was sitting in his white robe, in a luxurious backdrop, beaming from ear to ear as if he just won the lottery. (Which he probably kind of did).

It was a terrible look.

He also seemed to absolve himself from all blame that 'you cant train for those kicks' and then contradicting himself that they will be ready for them next time.

There was no fire, no hunger or passion, just acceptance and contentment. I know hes into all his zen jazz but the loss just seemed to sit way to easy with him .

Hard to disagree with any of the above,

Iv said a few times Conor is either gone completely delusional or had some kind of injury we didn't know about ,

Seemed far to nice , reserved ,almost flat in the build up almost like he knew he couldn't be his arrogant brash self as he knew what lay ahead, Kavanaghs attitude cemented that feeling for me as you said above to accepting of defeat,

Maybe he is just delusional and his coach knows its all over bar the last few money fights,

Only time will tell ,

There's a few things that Conor needs to do if he wants to have success again.

1) Have a goal. Is he a 155er, a 170er or a boxer? You can't just jump between them all and expect success. He clearly was using a very different boxing stance in Poirier 2.

2) Work on Cardio. You will lose eventually if you can't go more than 8 mins without heavy breathing.

3) Work on tactics. What do you do if you can't connect with the left hand in the opening 2 rounds?

I don't expect Conor to make these changes though. He's too cocky and surrounded by yes men that will have him believe he can jump in against anyone and smash them in round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

McGregor in a Q&A on Twitter said,

"I am going to do this fight away from the family also. For a change. Fights and boppies and cuddles is a hard one to balance.
    I’m going into this one a wild dog."

Glad to hear he's leaving the family out was bit ridiculous last time, no way to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

robwen wrote: »

"I am going to do this fight away from the family also. For a change. Fights and boppies and cuddles is a hard one to balance.

Glad to hear he's leaving the family out was bit ridiculous last time, no way to prepare

This is great to hear. I have always thought having the family around is a big mistake. As cool as it is to see him love his kids and involve them, they are a massive distraction and soften him up.
    I have 5 kids myself and my youngest little daughter makes me melt. I couldn't think of smashing another mans face in when I'm in her presence.
    Also, I work in banking. When I have a big presentation or meeting or whatever I take time to prepare and am fully focused. I'm not rolling into the meeting room with the kids in tow, smiling and laughing.

He's going to war. Good to see daddy daycare being left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ever have to smash a mans face in in your bank job?

• Advertisement

Doesn't have a baby due any week now or is it a bit further off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Doesn't have a baby due any week now or is it a bit further off ?

He said it's due in the next week

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ush1 wrote: »

New mortgage lending rules. Not only do you have to prove your ability to pay back a mortgage, you also have to be able to take a beating.

I assume that he plans a serious training camp once the baby comes so.

Hopefully - no matter your thoughts on the man I want a competition on screen, not just a farce played out for a pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I assume that he plans a serious training camp once the baby comes so.

Hopefully - no matter your thoughts on the man I want a competition on screen, not just a farce played out for a pay day.

I highly doubt at this stage that he need to be fighting for a payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Ush1 wrote: »

lol. few lads in the office I wouldn't have minded giving a dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Say what you like about his personality but he is a serious money maker. Conor McGregor is the worlds highest-paid athlete on Forbes 2021 list earning $180m

Ever since he appeared on the list maybe 5 years ago he’s been saying he’ll be top one day. You cannot argue that the Mayweather money carried him to no.2.
    But this year is entirely his own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He said from the start he wanted to get in, get rich, and get out. I wonder is that thought still always on his mind?
    He's gone through most of his career relatively damage free, but I'd say the last fight definitely has him thinking about his priorities. I think Diaz rocking him when he was exhausted was the only previous time I can remember him looking hurt. This was a new experience for him.

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    He said from the start he wanted to get in, get rich, and get out. I wonder is that thought still always on his mind?
    He's gone through most of his career relatively damage free, but I'd say the last fight definitely has him thinking about his priorities. I think Diaz rocking him when he was exhausted was the only previous time I can remember him looking hurt. This was a new experience for him.

All i can think is that he has been dealing with these massive business decisions during what should be fight prep time.

Anyone would struggle the keep the head interested in a fight when you've achieved this.

Who thought that nonsense whiskey business would work out haha. Proved me wrong.

Advertisement