Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

All i can think is that he has been dealing with these massive business decisions during what should be fight prep time.

What business decisions?
    He owns the company, collects the endorsements. He doesn’t run the business day to day.
    Who thought that nonsense whiskey business would work out haha. Proved me wrong.
    Given the time frame it’s been incredibly successful. 4th highest selling Irish whiskey is impressive considering the Top 3 are around since 1700s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

derfderf wrote: »
    He said from the start he wanted to get in, get rich, and get out. I wonder is that thought still always on his mind?
    He's gone through most of his career relatively damage free, but I'd say the last fight definitely has him thinking about his priorities. I think Diaz rocking him when he was exhausted was the only previous time I can remember him looking hurt. This was a new experience for him.

Since he moved up from Feather weight anyone who has actually hit him has hurt him ,Dropped by Diaz, Khabib , Dusitn & Flyod

Cowboy & Eddie never hit him ,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Since he moved up from Feather weight anyone who has actually hit him has hurt him ,Dropped by Diaz, Khabib , Dusitn & Flyod

Alvarez did hit him. Mostly leg kicks but they worked out pretty well for Dustin. Hit him in the head a few times if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Diaz didn't drop him, Floyd didn't drop him, and Khabib knocked him over. Dustin was the only person that seemed to make his legs go, but it's hard to say how much of that was from the damage to his calf.

In fairness, that's what's supposed to happen when you're hit clean. Khabib's shot was perfect, and he wasn't expecting it. He still didn't go on his back, one knee hit the ground. Nothing about that says he doesn't belong at LW.

And Floyd? Really?

Diaz didn't drop him, Floyd didn't drop him, and Khabib knocked him over. Dustin was the only person that seemed to make his legs go, but it's hard to say how much of that was from the damage to his calf.

In fairness, that's what's supposed to happen when you're hit clean. Khabib's shot was perfect, and he wasn't expecting it. He still didn't go on his back, one knee hit the ground. Nothing about that says he doesn't belong at LW.

And Floyd? Really?

Sorry your correct they didn't all drop him

Diaz rocked him & he turned into a D1 wrestler
    Floyd stopped him (expected )
    Khabib dropped him (he recovered)
    Dustin dropped him (he didn't recover)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

And Floyd? Really?

Is he 2 losses and 2 wins at LW? Or was anyone of the diaz fights at LW?

Is he 2 losses and 2 wins at LW? Or was anyone of the diaz fights at LW?

1-2 at LW

1-2 at LW
    Technically yes. But the Cowboy fight was essentially two LW fighters who agreed not to cut weight.

The Diaz fight were essentially 160-165 catchweight fights.

Mellor wrote: »
    Technically yes. But the Cowboy fight was essentially two LW fighters who agreed not to cut weight.

FFS...

Cowboy and Conor both cut weight and both weighed 170 lbs ,

Diaz & Conor both weighed more than 165lbs in both fights ,

All 3 fights where WW fights just because the fighters have fought previously at a lighter weight before that doesn't change it ,

• Advertisement

Diaz & Conor both weighed more than 165lbs in both fights ,

All 3 fights where WW fights just because the fighters have fought previously at a lighter weight before that doesn't change it ,

Thats where my confusion was - I had thought that the cerrone fight was at LW.

I do suppose that for the sake of arguing he is not cut out for LW you could use the WW fights to argue he is more than able for the weight no?

Thats where my confusion was - I had thought that the cerrone fight was at LW.

I do suppose that for the sake of arguing he is not cut out for LW you could use the WW fights to argue he is more than able for the weight no?

He more than able to fight & win at LW or WW but he's not when its against the guys at the very top ,

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Fight camp headed to Vegas in the next few days you'd hope they bring some decent sparring into the camp for his own sake.

Fight camp headed to Vegas in the next few days you'd hope they bring some decent sparring into the camp for his own sake.

I really hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Bunch of Irish guys who let themselves get beat up

Diaz & Conor both weighed more than 165lbs in both fights

Not sure how the above changes anything I said. They didn’t have anything close to a normal weight cut. :confused:
    I never said they were not officially WW fights.
    it was fairly clear to anyone who gets weight cutting that Cowboy and Conor were not actually WW sized.
    Diaz & Conor both weighed more than 165lbs in both fights
    Almost all LW fighters weigh more than 165 in their fights.

If two fighters cut from 174lbs to 155, it’s officially LW. If they cut to 170 it’s officially WW. It both cases you have two fighters entering the cage at 174-ish. For fights that are largely the same.

I don’t really understand the point is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He more than able to fight & win at LW or WW but he's not when its against the guys at the very top ,

And that's all he's fought at LW. Two champs, and another guy that's probably the best in the division now. Comparing Conor and Dustin's record (for example) is unfair. Dustin worked his way up, so some of his wins are against lower tier opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Are they out there until the fight then, the next two months?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭joficeduns1

Are they out there until the fight then, the next two months?

Roddy and Kav just flew to Dubai, I'd bet they're staying there a while before relocating to Las Vegas. Plus McGregor will want to spend a bit of time with the newborn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Non relevant posts moved to off topic discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Conor moves up to #5 in the rankings this morning despite being 1-2 in the division with the 3 fights spread over 5 years.

US2 wrote: »
    Conor moves up to #5 in the rankings this morning despite being 1-2 in the division with the 3 fights spread over 5 years.

And he got a hiding in his last two LW fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dont see much wrong with that.

He's a former undisputed champion who lost to the retired champ and the current #1 contender.

Conor moved up a spot because Tony dropped down after the losing at the weekend.
    Oliveira is now out of the top 10 so any one not passed by Dariush is up by 1 too.

9gxe91k4qsz61.png

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Conor moved up a spot because Tony dropped down after the losing at the weekend.
    Oliveira is now out of the top 10 so any one not passed by Dariush is up by 1 too.

Some exciting match ups there to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Some exciting match ups there to say the least.

Would like to see Gathje fight Olivera in August, winner fights winner of porrier mcgregor in winter

Would like to see Gathje fight Olivera in August, winner fights winner of porrier mcgregor in winter

If Gaethje could replicate the Ferguson performance it would be a good fight.

Good division if the fights get made.

Really hope Conor gets the head down and works hard now until the fight - could see him getting straight to a title shot if he does get a win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If Gaethje could replicate the Ferguson performance it would be a good fight.

Good division if the fights get made.

Really hope Conor gets the head down and works hard now until the fight - could see him getting straight to a title shot if he does get a win

He has Dana White Privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tony should really drop more than 1 ranking at this point. It's not the 3 losses, it's the three brutal one-sided losses where he barely accomplished anything whatsoever.

During the post-fight interviews the last day one of the journalists pointed out that Tony has landed 30 strikes in the last 30 minutes of fighting. That's insane.

I don't know who he would even fight next in the top 15 without being a massive underdog.

• Advertisement

Gaethje is obviously title fight ready material. But it’s a bit of a hard sell given he is coming off a loss.

Gaethje v Chandler is the match up for me.
    Dustin makes most sense given his form.

There’s also take of Max vrs Oliveria rematch. Sets up Max v Dustin rematch, Max v Conner rematch, Dustin v Oliveria.

Advertisement