Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Homelander wrote: »
    Tony should really drop more than 1 ranking at this point. It's not the 3 losses, it's the three brutal one-sided losses where he barely accomplished anything whatsoever.

During the post-fight interviews the last day one of the journalists pointed out that Tony has landed 30 strikes in the last 30 minutes of fighting. That's insane.

I don't know who he would even fight next in the top 15 without being a massive underdog.

Imagine if he did get the Khabib fight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Homelander wrote: »
    Tony should really drop more than 1 ranking at this point. It's not the 3 losses, it's the three brutal one-sided losses where he barely accomplished anything whatsoever.

During the post-fight interviews the last day one of the journalists pointed out that Tony has landed 30 strikes in the last 30 minutes of fighting. That's insane.

I don't know who he would even fight next in the top 15 without being a massive underdog.

Thats a shocking stat - he has to be good as done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Thats a shocking stat - he has to be good as done.

It's a terrible stat alright, but his record his 25-6. I don't think he'll retire, but his time at the top table is done

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I dont see much wrong with that.

He's a former undisputed champion who lost to the retired champ and the current #1 contender.

If he didnt have Dana White Privilege he wouldn't have got a straight walk into a title shot against a weak title holder. It did set up nicely for him, but if mc gregor had to start his trade off at light weight he'd never had got a shot at a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Macdarack wrote: »
    If he didnt have Dana White Privilege he wouldn't have got a straight walk into a title shot against a weak title holder. It did set up nicely for him, but if mc gregor had to start his trade off at light weight he'd never had got a shot at a title.

if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Complete hyperbole.

The whole "Dana White Privilege" thing is cute and all, but you seem to forget that he was the FW Champ at the time who had knocked out the great Jose Aldo in seconds.

But yeah...... Dana White Privilege :rolleyes:

Complete hyperbole.

The whole "Dana White Privilege" thing is cute and all, but you seem to forget that he was the FW Champ at the time who had knocked out the great Jose Aldo in seconds.

But yeah...... Dana White Privilege :rolleyes:

PPV probably had more to do with McGregor's LW title shot in the UFC.

If his fight against Aldo had 100k buys then McGregor would have had to work his way up the LW ladder. I think that's the point being made.

If his fight against Aldo had 100k buys then McGregor would have had to work his way up the LW ladder. I think that's the point being made.

No it's not.

The point being made is that Conor had the title fight handed to him via "Dana White Privilege" rather than earning it himself by becoming the biggest star in the sport, one of the biggest stars in the world, winning an Interim belt and, most importantly, showing he was Championship material by beating the incumbent FW Champion, a man who had been unbeaten in almost 10 years previously.

The issue with this thread is that almost half are people who dislike Conor and will try to pull him down whatever way they can. Nothing he has done deserves credit.

Then almost half are Conor nut-lickers. He's the greatest thing since sliced bread, shoots lasers out of his eyes and, for some reason, most think Khabib is over rated because their star boy doesn't like him.

And then the rest who want to actually talk about Conor in an unbiased way get caught up in the rubbish.

It's reminiscent of school days when Liverpool & Man United fans would squabble and throw around biased rubbish just because they supported one over the other. It's embarrassing.

No it's not.

The point being made is that Conor had the title fight handed to him via "Dana White Privilege" rather than earning it himself by becoming the biggest star in the sport, one of the biggest stars in the world, winning an Interim belt and, most importantly, showing he was Championship material by beating the incumbent FW Champion, a man who had been unbeaten in almost 10 years previously.

The issue with this thread is that almost half are people who dislike Conor and will try to pull him down whatever way they can. Nothing he has done deserves credit.

Then almost half are Conor nut-lickers. He's the greatest thing since sliced bread, shoots lasers out of his eyes and, for some reason, most think Khabib is over rated because their star boy doesn't like him.

And then the rest who want to actually talk about Conor in an unbiased way get caught up in the rubbish.

It's reminiscent of school days when Liverpool & Man United fans would squabble and throw around biased rubbish just because they supported one over the other. It's embarrassing.

I think what I said above is perfectly reasonable. You're entitled to label me as you wish.

I think what I said above is perfectly reasonable.

Let's break it down then.........

I think that's the point being made.

So PPV is the point being made?

If you can show me in this post where PPV is mentioned, i'd appreciate it.

Consider that "Dana White Privilege" was a term thrown at Michael Chandler, who had never headlined a PPV in his life.

Your post may be reasonable, but it is in no way accurate

• Advertisement

Let's break it down then.........

So PPV is the point being made?

If you can show me in this post where PPV is mentioned, i'd appreciate it.

Consider that "Dana White Privilege" was a term thrown at Michael Chandler, who had never headlined a PPV in his life.

Your post may be reasonable, but it is in no way accurate

I'm the one making the PPV/financial inference.

No high PPVs, no "Dana White Privilege" is the point. How else do you explain McGregor getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it? Why does Jon Jones, considered by many to be the GOAT, get the run around on pay? It's because he's never broken a million buys, so he has no leverage.

The Chandler matchup happened because of the Khabib-McGregor-Poirier love triangle. The belt was vacant after the McGregor Poirier match was set (I think), they had to make a fight for it. UFC match making has been a joke since McGregor mania exploded. I don't think Chandler was Dana White Privilege. It's just a consequence of Dana constantly accommodating McGregor's needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Chandler got the shot because Dustin rightly chose the bigger payday first over the belt.
    He still has the option to go for the belt after getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

No high PPVs, no "Dana White Privilege" is the point. How else do you explain McGregor getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it? Why does Jon Jones, considered by many to be the GOAT, get the run around on pay? It's because he's never broken a million buys, so he has no leverage.

The Chandler matchup happened because of the Khabib-McGregor-Poirier love triangle. The belt was vacant after the McGregor Poirier match was set (I think), they had to make a fight for it. UFC match making has been a joke since McGregor mania exploded. I don't think Chandler was Dana White Privilege. It's just a consequence of Dana constantly accommodating McGregor's needs.

It seemed like you were saying Macdarack's "Dana White Privilege" was a shorthand for strong PPV and high gate performance when you said 'I think that's the point being made.'

However, I read it as those invoking 'Dana White Privilege' at Conor seeming to just ignore all the achievements that led to Conor getting opportunities (like the PPV performance you mention), and merely believe that Dana has his favourite people who get treated favourably for no reason.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Chandler got the shot because Dustin rightly chose the bigger payday first over the belt.
    He still has the option to go for the belt after getting paid.

Exactly, it ultimately comes back to McGregor. He's the money magnet. That's why he was allowed to hold up the featherweight division for no reason for over a year. That's why he got a title fight for his LW debut after he lost and then scraped a win over Diaz at WW. And it's why the Chandler Oliveira matchup happened, because the best fighter in the division (Poirier) wanted the money fight.

It's all about money, and McGregor sits at the top of that throne.

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    merely believe that Dana has his favourite people who get treated favourably for no reason.

That's clearly a moronic view. Does anyone actually believe that?

Only now, after realising that the poster I was replying to said absolutely nothing about PPV.

If you're going to throw your spanner into conversations involving others, the least you can do it try to keep up

Only now, after realising that the poster I was replying to said absolutely nothing about PPV.

If you're going to throw your spanner into conversations involving others, the least you can do it try to keep up

I'll say whatever I like and there's nothing you can do to stop me. If you can't comprehend the fact that people might make more than one point per post, then I can't help you.

Conor McGregor has Dana White Privilege. Yay.

I'll say whatever I like and there's nothing you can do to stop me. If you can't comprehend the fact that people might make more than one point per post, then I can't help you.

Are you now implying that the poster I was replying to was, in fact, making a point about PPV, after saying he wasn't and it was you who was?

You're all over the shop man. Give it up!

This is 100% accurate.

Are you now implying that the poster I was replying to was, in fact, making a point about PPV, after saying he wasn't and it was you who was?!

No.

• Advertisement

Conor signs with the UFC and has exciting fights, building his popularity >

He's the best prospect in the FW division, beating the likes of Holloway (prelim on a Fight Night) & Poirier (Not even co-main on a card that lost it's main event twice), and builds his popularity even further >

Becomes a contender and TKOs #1 contender and former title contender Chad Mendes to become interim champ, solidifying his championship credentials and becomes more popular. This is his first PPV headliner >

He KOs Jose Aldo in only his PPV headliner in 13 seconds. By now he is a true superstar.

Let's not pretend that he didn't earn every single bit of privilege he got. It's not as if he was CM Punk and was being given the spotlight that he hadn't earned in MMA.

He built his way towards being the star he is today the proper way. It was no accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is 100% accurate.
    How is that accurate? (There’s no mentions of PPV, which is also wrong, but a different point).

I feel like people talking and Conor being given special treatment in that FW era only started watching MMA for Conor fights around then.
    The idea that he was given special treatment with the immediate shot is pretty hilarious.

The UFC wanted a Champ v Champ super fight for years. GSP wouldn’t move up to fight Silva.
    Aldo was offered a LW shot, also said no.
    BJ was one to attempted it years earlier, but lost.

Conor wasn’t given special treatment. He was the first champ willing to step up as incumbent.
    Since then Nunes, Max, Cejudo, Izzy, all were willing. And all got the same “special treatment”. Jones now too.
    Has there been a single champ wanting a shot at a higher weight belt but refused? Nope afaik.

Do you think Khabib or Usman don’t get an immediate shot also if they wanted. Again nope.

Mellor wrote: »
    How is that accurate? (There’s no mentions of PPV, which is also wrong, but a different point).

I feel like people talking and Conor being given special treatment in that FW era only started watching MMA for Conor fights around then.
    The idea that he was given special treatment with the immediate shot is pretty hilarious.

The UFC wanted a Champ v Champ super fight for years. GSP wouldn’t move up to fight Silva.
    Aldo was offered a LW shot, also said no.
    BJ was one to attempted it years earlier, but lost.

Conor wasn’t given special treatment. He was the first champ willing to step up as incumbent.
    Since then Nunes, Max, Cejudo, Izzy, all were willing. And all got the same “special treatment”. Jones now too.
    Has there been a single champ wanting a shot at a higher weight belt but refused? Nope afaik.

Do you think Khabib or Usman don’t get an immediate shot also if they wanted. Again nope.

Are you still convincing yourself that the cowboy fight was at lightweight?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Exactly, it ultimately comes back to McGregor. He's the money magnet. That's why he was allowed to hold up the featherweight division for no reason for over a year. That's why he got a title fight for his LW debut after he lost and then scraped a win over Diaz at WW. And it's why the Chandler Oliveira matchup happened, because the best fighter in the division (Poirier) wanted the money fight.

It's all about money, and McGregor sits at the top of that throne.

He was supposed to fight RDA for the LW title who pulled out of the fight hence why he fought Diaz the first time.

He saved a card when he could easily have sat out and waited for the title fight when the fight got pulled.

There is no privilege here at all he fully deserved that fight. He stepped up and fought Mendez too when Aldo pulled out too just months before that too when again he could have easily said no and waited.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    He was supposed to fight RDA for the LW title who pulled out of the fight hence why he fought Diaz the first time.

He saved a card when he could easily have sat out and waited for the title fight when the fight got pulled.

There is no privilege here at all he fully deserved that fight. He stepped up and fought Mendez too when Aldo pulled out too just months before when again he could have said no.

So, are you saying a champion in any division is automatically entitled to a championship shot in a neighboring division?

Or just one who wins a belt, then loses a fight, then scrapes a win, all while holding up the division they are champion of for a year?

Which is it?

So, are you saying a champion in any division is automatically entitled to a championship shot in a neighboring division?

Or just one who wins a belt, then loses a fight, then scrapes a win, all while holding up the division they are champion of for a year?

Which is it?

Not sure why you're trying to single out Conor here. Other champs of various divisions have moved to a different one to fight for that belt, are they all getting special treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally I think any Champions should have the right to step up to fight a Champion in the next higher weight class
    (of course as long as there is no nailed on number 1 contender who full deserves it first )

Don't Like the idea of champion wanting to go to fight for a belt ,

TJ Dillashaw got an immediate title shot despite selling a grand total of 6 PPVs in his life.

The insinuation here is that Conor didn't earn his spot.

He more than earned his spot!

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Not sure why you're trying to single out Conor here.

Who got that treatment first? Got to move up a division while retaining their belt without defending it for an entire year?

I'm not sure either...

• Advertisement

Who got that treatment first? Got to move up a division while retaining their belt without defending it for an entire year?

I'm not sure either...
    Fairly sure BJ Penn

Advertisement