Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks if you are gonna have a conversation do so like adults and discuss it, if you are gonna just act like children it’s probably best you just not post and find something else to do. If you don’t I can certainly give people a break from the forum, so pack in the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You actually didn't and I've lost interest in you as a result. Our conversation is over.

I think I did,but if I didn't please tell me where I haven't and I will.

After all, this is a discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you still convincing yourself that the cowboy fight was at lightweight?
    :pac:

The fights in question were RDA (cancelled) and Alvarez, both at LW. They happened in 2016. Has absolutely nothing to do with Cowboy fight in 2020.

That should have been obvious to anybody who followed the sport than, or bother to google his record.
    So, are you saying a champion in any division is automatically entitled to a championship shot in a neighboring division?
    Yes to both question. The UFC want those super fights for years.

Do you know any fighters who asked for it and were turned down?

Are you sure about that? Maybe don't want to check how I worded my post?

I'll wait here.
    Answer this question using real knowledge. If Penn won the WW belt, would he have held both belts simultaneously?

Thanks

Yes to both questions. Where are you getting this stuff. Just exposing the ignorance tbh.

Edit: I just seen you admitted you were wrong on the next page. Fair play for that. But it pretty much undermines your entire point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It's weird to be focussing on the FW belt when the LW belt was held up by Conor for 16 months, and there was a line up of murderers waiting for their shot.

He was stripped after 10 months at FW. Who was left waiting at FW, Frankie? Aldo hadn't defended for 14 months when he lost to Conor. Conor vs Mendes was 9 or 10 months after Aldo's last defense. Was he holding up the division too?
    I don't see the issue with the UFC holding out an extra couple of months to give Conor the chance to do something that hadn't been done for. They let him pose with the two belts, get some photos, and stripped him soon after.

derfderf wrote: »
    It's weird to be focussing on the FW belt when the LW belt was held up by Conor for 16 months, and there was a line up of murderers waiting for their shot.

He was stripped after 10 months at FW. Who was left waiting at FW, Frankie? Aldo hadn't defended for 14 months when he lost to Conor. Conor vs Mendes was 9 or 10 months after Aldo's last defense. Was he holding up the division too?
    I don't see the issue with the UFC holding out an extra couple of months to give Conor the chance to do something that hadn't been done for. They let him pose with the two belts, get some photos, and stripped him soon after.

Not to mention that he was first attempting to do it after 3 months.
    Kinda crazy how much that RDA injury had a domino effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was rewatching the DP 2 fight there again. I really don't see the rematch much different, Conor hit him plenty and hard but he brushed it off. Conor pace dropped off alot in the 2nd round and allowed Dustin to keep chopping at that leg.

The thing that stood out for me the most though was the piss poor advice kavanagh gave Conor at the end of the 1st. Not a word said about the legs kicks, just great round keep doing the same. Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rob316 wrote: »
    I was rewatching the DP 2 fight there again. I really don't see the rematch much different, Conor hit him plenty and hard but he brushed it off. Conor pace dropped off alot in the 2nd round and allowed Dustin to keep chopping at that leg.

The thing that stood out for me the most though was the piss poor advice kavanagh gave Conor at the end of the 1st. Not a word said about the legs kicks, just great round keep doing the same. Wtf?

Tends to be the same in every fight. "Great round, nice deep breaths" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I think a lot of people could do with re-watching the last fight, there seems to be a consensus among a few of my friends that McGregor was hammering him in round 1, personally scored it to Dustin.

I think a lot of people could do with re-watching the last fight, there seems to be a consensus among a few of my friends that McGregor was hammering him in round 1, personally scored it to Dustin.

That was a very close round, I'd give to McGregor just. 10-9 the judges scored it, seemed right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Dustin said if Conor had to have followed up with one of the shots that rocked him that he would have been in big trouble. I gave the first round 10-9 to Conor but it was definitely close. Fully agree on the Kavanagh advice, especially considering how he spoke about leg kicks prior to the fight. Seemed very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I gave it to Conor.

It was a close round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole road show ends in a few weeks, He'll knock around doing the few odd boxing fights 7 maybe WF or E or whatever it is these days ,

But his days as a serious fighter end in round 2 against Dustin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The Nal wrote: »
    Tends to be the same in every fight. "Great round, nice deep breaths" etc.

remember the time he was telling Gunnar Nelson 'nice work!' 'keep doing what you are doing'

and he 2 rounds down after getting battered around the place

no urgency whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ironically he's 100 % BJJ trainer but yet 4 of 5 conor's losses were on the ground , so he's as usefull as a chocolate teapot

Roddy isn't world class

team of yes men as previously stated

ironically he's 100 % BJJ trainer but yet 4 of 5 conor's losses were on the ground , so he's as usefull as a chocolate teapot

Roddy isn't world class

team of yes men as previously stated

Conor doesn't get rounds in with high calibre training partners, that remains the problem too. Drop him into one of the top gyms in the US and he would undoubtedly be tested and improve. Go look at the training partners DP has at American Top Team, there is just no comparison. SBG has Jimmy Gallagher

Conor doesn't get rounds in with high calibre training partners, that remains the problem too. Drop him into one of the top gyms in the US and he would undoubtedly be tested and improve. Go look at the training partners DP has at American Top Team, there is just no comparison. SBG has Jimmy Gallagher

Jimmy Gallagher himself has gone to the states to train , Glory MMA

Jimmy Gallagher himself has gone to the states to train , Glory MMA

I know and good for him but point still valid, there is no one even close to Mcgregor's calibre in his camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    I know and good for him but point still valid, there is no one even close to Mcgregor's calibre in his camp.
    Who is in his camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who is in his camp?

a lot of random lads training with him, would not call them in his camp though. John Mitchell from Cork was sparring with him, he has about 3 pro fights and some big Indian block of a chap was training with him. Like a beggars shi*te - bit of everything really, expect high caliber level partners which is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

a lot of random lads training with him, would not call them in his camp though. John Mitchell from Cork was sparring with him, he has about 3 pro fights and some big Indian block of a chap was training with him. Like a beggars shi*te - bit of everything really, expect high caliber level partners which is the norm
    Have you the list of all those training with him?

• Advertisement

I agree with the idea that Kavanagh, as primarily a grappler, should img be taking lead in the corner. Good leaders in know to delegate. Conor could have easily had a top striking coach in there got the last few years.

But I don’t agree that the fact Conor’s losses were submissions proves that Kavanagh’s bjj is also useless. The corner has limitations. Even say John Danaher in the corner isn’t going to coach people into out grappling Khabib.

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with the idea that Kavanagh, as primarily a grappler, should img be taking lead in the corner. Good leaders in know to delegate. Conor could have easily had a top striking coach in there got the last few years.

But I don’t agree that the fact Conor’s losses were submissions proves that Kavanagh’s bjj is also useless. The corner has limitations. Even say John Danaher in the corner isn’t going to coach people into out grappling Khabib.

This is spot on lots of the best trainers in the world have had little experience as top fighter themselves , Trevor Wittman for instance ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Mellor wrote: »

tapped in 4 fights , says it all

the khabib one is irrelevent as conor's ground game has always been suspect

he has a great left hand and got famous with the trash talk , so in turn Kavanagh got the limelight also , but he is an absolute moron and very arrogant despite his star pupil getting choked out 4 times

even gunnar is staying away these days and gallagher and all seen the light

tapped in 4 fights , says it all
    What does it say exactly? :rolleyes:

The first two loses Conor was a white belt. Are you really saying a novice grappler should unsubmitable just by having a black belt in their corner. That’s a bit silly.
    the khabib one is irrelevent as conor's ground game has always been suspect
    Khabib is a phenom grappler. Being submitted by Khabib does not mean anything.

But you say Conor’s grappling is suspect? So why do the losses say it all about John’s grappling? A bit contradictory.

As above, I’ve questions about John’s ability in his role. Even his grappling specific ability. But I dont think your logic holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

conor's ground game has always been suspect

No, it hasn't.

Conor's a very good brown belt, Diaz is a very good black belt and Khabib is Khabib.

Fairly sure he was a white belt for his other two sub losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

His losses to khabib and Diaz were nothing to do with his grapling abilities, he gave up due to physical and mental fatigue. He managed khabibs grappling alot better than most others really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Gas tank running on fumes is Conors real flaw.
    Round 2 and wrecked is nonsense and honestly how he hasn't made improvements there I cannot fathom.
    Imagine a version of Conor where he is as lethal as he was/is and goes forward like Gaethje did against Ferguson.

Everyone he fights knows he tires and weakens - surely that is very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think his stand up grappling is actually quite good. Was good in the clinch against Diaz, Poirier and set up his win vs Cowboy from the clinch. Khabib is Khabib. I wouldn’t use that as a stick up beat him with, but he did better than a lot of us would have expected. Problem is his how much it takes out of him if it goes on for any amount of time. Once he loses the power in the left, he hasn’t got a huge amount to offer. Between the lack of engine and his reversion to a one dimensional boxer (think this is engine related too hence the lack of variety with kicks), he’s quite beatable.

US2 wrote: »
    His losses to khabib and Diaz were nothing to do with his grapling abilities, he gave up due to physical and mental fatigue. He managed khabibs grappling alot better than most others really.

Exactly. Many elite grapplers have been submitted after taking some few shots. MMA is not W reflection of grappling ability.
    And as you point out, his counter grappling verses Khabib was better than most. He also showed some in Diaz II, if you know what to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

He has a few tools in his box to defend against certain aspects on the ground. He's hardly elite level on the ground though, it's always just a few things he worked on defensively in the camp that they were expecting to happen. Lets face it though, he's not going to compete on the ground, and eventually will be out grappled. As for SBG and John, they have done well out of Conor, but they aren't an elite gym regardless of what JK thinks. Also, Conor is part time now, he's making more money outside of the Octogon, he still wants to be relevant in the fighting game though and he isn't any more. The hunger is gone, and that is the reason he isn't at the top any more. Dustin may have a few quid in the back, but not 10's of millions like Mcgregor so he's hungry. Khabib doesn't seem to have interest in the money side, his whole stick was to win and considering he was able to come back after both ACL's exploded is admirable. I also think some fighters nearly have to be killed before they'd submit, Khabib and Fergusson refuse to tap. The moment things get tough for Mcgregor he looks for a way out, he's done it multiple times. Tony nearly had his leg twisted off and didn't tap. Conor doesn't have this level of pain threshold, he's tough, but not the same type of toughness that some of the others have.

Advertisement