Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Tony nearly had his leg twisted off and didn't tap. Conor doesn't have this level of pain threshold, he's tough, but not the same type of toughness that some of the others have.

That's not toughness, that's stupidity.
    Not tapping to a heel hook is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Tazzimus wrote: »

I agree, but that's my point Tony didn't tap and got out and tried to win.
    Conor would have tapped (again probably the smart thing to do) but these lads are different. I think that's why Conor could never beat Khabib, he will never be broken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Gas tank running on fumes is Conors real flaw.
    Round 2 and wrecked is nonsense and honestly how he hasn't made improvements there I cannot fathom.
    Imagine a version of Conor where he is as lethal as he was/is and goes forward like Gaethje did against Ferguson.

Everyone he fights knows he tires and weakens - surely that is very relevant.

Easier said than done. I used to go to lot of the fights live. The amount of fighters that gas after 1 or 2 rounds, particularly in the armies, semi pro, and prelims is staggering. Sometimes up to 80 percent of them. They all look in phenomenal shape for the most part, and no doubt trained hard, but still end up shells of themselves by the second round.

Not everybody can get to that pro elite cardio level.

Conor has some amazing attributes. Cardio is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He has a few tools in his box to defend against certain aspects on the ground. He's hardly elite level on the ground though, it's always just a few things he worked on defensively in the camp that they were expecting to happen. Lets face it though, he's not going to compete on the ground, and eventually will be out grappled.
    He not an elite level. But most UFC fighters aren't elite level.
    Some things are clearly defensive pieces he drilled for the fight. Khabib, Diaz etc.
    But there's also been brief moments of groundwork. Escaping the guillotine vrs Mendes, passing Siver's guard, x guard sweep on Diaz. They are not things you are accidently do under pressure in an MMA fight without a reasonable ability.

People just see the submissions and go: "ZOMG!, he white belt, I could tap him"
    I also think some fighters nearly have to be killed before they'd submit, Khabib and Fergusson refuse to tap.
    When has Khabib refused to tap?
    I'm sure he wouldn't tap easily. But I can only remember a single sub attempted on him, Poirier's guillotine.
    I agree, but that's my point Tony didn't tap and got out and tried to win.
    Not tapping was idiotic. Maybe if he was ahead, there's an argument about toughness over brains. But he was losing badly and afterwards he was barely able to start.

And he didn't escape imo. He was just lying there taking it. The consensus was that Dariush let it go. I don't think Khabib would have let it go tbh.

And there's a bit of a difference between joint locks and chokes. No amount of toughness or stupidity is going to see you survive a choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Tazzimus wrote: »

tony to a T

dudes messed up mentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Easier said than done. I used to go to lot of the fights live. The amount of fighters that gas after 1 or 2 rounds, particularly in the armies, semi pro, and prelims is staggering. Sometimes up to 80 percent of them. They all look in phenomenal shape for the most part, and no doubt trained hard, but still end up shells of themselves by the second round.

Not everybody can get to that pro elite cardio level.

Conor has some amazing attributes. Cardio is not one of them.

Those long punches he throws will zap you very quickly, he comes out of the traps so quick. That's his style, but in a 5 round fight against a five round fighter like DP, its the wrong approach. DP knows if you make it out of the first, Conor's chance of winning are low.

rob316 wrote: »
    Those long punches he throws will zap you very quickly, he comes out of the traps so quick. That's his style, but in a 5 round fight against a five round fighter like DP, its the wrong approach. DP knows if you make it out of the first, Conor's chance of winning are low.

Hes really hamstrung with his cardio. Especially in a 5 rounder.

Should he go out there and be high energy and spectacular for a round or 2 and go for the finish? Or does he be mediocre for 5 and hope to eke out a decision?

Tough call. Both strategies can backfire really badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hes really hamstrung with his cardio. Especially in a 5 rounder.

Should he go out there and be high energy and spectacular for a round or 2 and go for the finish? Or does he be mediocre for 5 and hope to eke out a decision?

Tough call. Both strategies can backfire really badly.

His cardio was fine last time people seem to be giving him an out here

He was pushing the pace last time & had Dustin backed up but he got caught with a lovely right hand as Justin circled out , Conor dipped into it to & that was the beginning of the end,

People seem to not mention that right ,it changed the flow of the fight , it stung him, Cpnor straight away was on his heels & trying to regain his composure & never did,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They did ok in fairness

His cardio was fine last time people seem to be giving him an out here

He was pushing the pace last time & had Dustin backed up but he got caught with a lovely right hand as Justin circled out , Conor dipped into it to & that was the beginning of the end,

People seem to not mention that right ,it changed the flow of the fight , it stung him, Cpnor straight away was on his heels & trying to regain his composure & never did,

The fight was over before the 2nd round so we cant really say definitively. He did look like he was slowing down though, but as you say he was caught with a big shot, and those leg kicks were brutal too.

It just seems to be a common theme in his fights since diaz 1, were his energy levels will drop off substantially mid way through the 2nd round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The fight was over before the 2nd round so we cant really say definitively. He did look like he was slowing down though, but as you say he was caught with a big shot, and those leg kicks were brutal too.

It just seems to be a common theme in his fights since diaz 1, were his energy levels will drop off substantially mid way through the 2nd round.

I have to say I thought he had that tired look in his eyes early in the second, not after any special moment, even when he came out.

I remember thinking "oh £$%^ thats not good". Never watched back so I may be wrong, either way his cardio has been shocking during his career.

I think people just tend to be results based.

In Jan people where talking about how Dustin was gimme fight and they were setting up the Khabib fight.

Now Conor's been washed and and his exploitable weakness known for years.

Some swing in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Mellor wrote: »

In Jan people where talking about how Dustin was gimme fight and they were setting up the Khabib fight.

Some swing in 6 months.

That's exactly it, same with Stipe, the twitter fingers saying he should retire.

its all about the hype, the flipside is Gaethje, when he lost 2 against Dustin and Eddie people were saying the hype train ended, then he went 3 or 4 in a row and he is back to being a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

fitzparker wrote: »
    That's exactly it, same with Stipe, the twitter fingers saying he should retire.

its all about the hype, the flipside is Gaethje, when he lost 2 against Dustin and Eddie people were saying the hype train ended, then he went 3 or 4 in a row and he is back to being a monster.

I hate the 'Monster' label, it just reminds me of Brendan Schaub who literally calls every fighter a monster.

Fighters get old over night, and Conor may have seen his better days. Look at Carl Frampton, fights Nonito Donaire and wins comfortably and 2 years later Carl gets wiped out by Herring and Donaire is still winning titles. The difference is we know Frampton has seen his better days, he trained hard every fight and led a clean life by all accounts. Conor on the other hard it's harder to tell. He always physically looks great, but he spends more time making money outside of the octagon. I genuinely don't know if he's finished or the fact he doesn't train full time and also has that hunger gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some swing in 6 months.

I backed Dustin before it and think he will probably beat him again.

Conor has long lost his appetite. I could be wrong but the vast bulk of his wealth as the highest paid sportsman was by losing boxing and MMA fights and selling a whiskey company/endorsements.

No surprise where things have gone with these Logan Paul matches etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cloudatlas wrote: »

It looks like those tags they put on clothes to stop you knicking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It'll be something for measuring his blood lactate (lactic acid) levels. It will be to do with monitoring fitness and fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It'll be something for measuring his blood lactate (lactic acid) levels. It will be to do with monitoring fitness and fatigue.

Hope he's not wearing it during the fight.

After the first round the meter will just say "Fooked".

Ush1 wrote: »
    I backed Dustin before it and think he will probably beat him again.
    You were probably one of the few tbh.

I imagine a lot will be doing 180s on their predictions.
    Conor has long lost his appetite. I could be wrong but the vast bulk of his wealth as the highest paid sportsman was by losing boxing and MMA fights and selling a whiskey company/endorsements.
    Pretty sure the Forbes list is only based on the last 12 months. So Boxing earnings excluded. Would have been Whiskey and endorsements, and the single fight he has.

The top 10 sports earners, on average, made about the same from their sport as from out earners. Some more on the field, some more from endorsements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

its a new accessory line he is bringing out Propear 12 carat

You were probably one of the few tbh.

I imagine a lot will be doing 180s on their predictions.

Pretty sure the Forbes list is only based on the last 12 months. So Boxing earnings excluded. Would have been Whiskey and endorsements, and the single fight he has.

The top 10 sports earners, on average, made about the same from their sport as from out earners. Some more on the field, some more from endorsements.

On average but not for him. How much did McGregor make for losing one MMA bout?

He's a business man at this stage, and seems good at it to be fair.

On average but not for him. How much did McGregor make for losing one MMA bout?

He's a business man at this stage, and seems good at it to be fair.
    On average is average across the top 10.
    Some earn mostly from sports, others more from endorsements.
    Conor earned $22m for the fight.
    Non sport weakening, mainly due to selling his whiskey stake were $160m

Federer was 7th highest earner. $90m from endorsements. Only $30k from tennis. :eek:

On average is average across the top 10.
    Some earn mostly from sports, others more from endorsements.
    Conor earned $22m for the fight.
    Non sport weakening, mainly due to selling his whiskey stake were $160m

Federer was 7th highest earner. $90m from endorsements. Only $30k from tennis. :eek:

Crazy, just goes to show what nonsense that list is. Might as well include Jeff Bezos, I hear he plays squash from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well it's not really nonsense, they are still high-level professional athletes. Of course at those levels most of them make far, far more from endorsement and sponsorship deals......hardly any of them would make for one performance what McGregor makes for a single fight either, and it's even more remarkable given the UFC is legendary for its poor payouts for fighters.

Homelander wrote: »
    Well it's not really nonsense, they are still high-level professional athletes. Of course at those levels most of them make far, far more from endorsement and sponsorship deals......hardly any of them would make for one performance what McGregor makes for a single fight either, and it's even more remarkable given the UFC is legendary for its poor payouts for fighters.

Well what's the point if most comes from outside of the sport? You might as well compare the top earning businessmen who would completely dwarf these lads.

Well what's the point if most comes from outside of the sport? You might as well compare the top earning businessmen who would completely dwarf these lads.
    A large part of their earnings come outside of the field/ring/court. But their not entirely outside of sport. Federer gets paid millions in endorsements because if his sports career and achievements. Jeff Bezos's earning are unrelated to his squash games.

It's simply a list specific to athletes. Top earning businessmen are featured in the main Forbes list, they deal in billions not millions.

A large part of their earnings come outside of the field/ring/court. But their not entirely outside of sport. Federer gets paid millions in endorsements because if his sports career and achievements. Jeff Bezos's earning are unrelated to his squash games.

It's simply a list specific to athletes. Top earning businessmen are featured in the main Forbes list, they deal in billions not millions.

Conor McGregor got paid a huge amount because of the sale of a whiskey company, nothing to do with his sporting achievements what so ever. It was a business transaction which basically made him top of the list. It's pretty pointless.

Conor McGregor got paid a huge amount because of the sale of a whiskey company, nothing to do with his sporting achievements what so ever. It was a business transaction which basically made him top of the list. It's pretty pointless.
    It's pretty obvious that the success of the whiskey is completely related to his sporting fame and achievements. You think Proper 12 would have taken off for any random businessman, or any random MMA fighter for that matter?

It's a list of the athletes that made the most money. Of course its pointless.
    Bu regardless, this year that was Conor. Next year it will be Messi, or god forbid Jake Paul.

• Advertisement

It's pretty obvious that the success of the whiskey is completely related to his sporting fame and achievements. You think Proper 12 would have taken off for any random businessman, or any random MMA fighter for that matter?

It's a list of the athletes that made the most money. Of course its pointless.
    Bu regardless, this year that was Conor. Next year it will be Messi, or god forbid Jake Paul.

Yes, in the year he topped the list he lost one MMA fight by KO. That's the sporting relevance of him topping the list this year.

Advertisement