Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cali_girl wrote: »
    I'm in the US at the moment, and didn't check out his Insta but *think* that may have been related to "Detail". Just aired on ESPN+ this or last week - it's a 1 hour show where Daniel Cormier takes the three key McGregor showstopper fights against Max, Siver and Alvarez and breaks down Conor's technique. The whole show is DC narrating to slow-mos of the 3 fights, and basically talks up Conor's distance control through footwork, boxing movement (defensive slips etc) and touches on where he went wrong and right grappling. Was very very good. Nothing new or ground breaking to expose but solid and very entertaining.

Felt a tad nostalgic really but worth a watch.
    Seen the ad for that during the UFC at the weekend. Been looking for it on ESPN to no avail

ESPN+ online/app only available here in US I think? At least I watched this online on ESPN+ Some cards are regular ESPN and some have ESPN+ prelim/early cards as well as main card PPVs. I signed up on a free/trial deal last time I was over.

I'm sure that'll be floating around online on youtube or some such at some point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Why isn’t he signing onto any fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Why isn’t he signing onto any fights?

waiting for lowest risk/highest reward fight aka diaz or khabib rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

spix wrote: »
    waiting for lowest risk/highest reward fight aka diaz or khabib rematch

Lowest risk and Khabib in the same sentence...what???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I think that he could handle max no worries to be honest. Can he do 145 agin? It would be a good way to come back and earn a bit of respect. Win 145 and Go for the 155 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crybaby

Personally I would love to see him just try and go back to 145, win the title and build a legacy there like what Holloway is doing now. I have no interest in seeing him beat Diaz again and I am perplexed as to why JK finds it such a fascinating fight, twice was enough for me and there was a definite sense in the second fight that he had figured out Diaz to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

crybaby wrote: »
    Personally I would love to see him just try and go back to 145, win the title and build a legacy there like what Holloway is doing now. I have no interest in seeing him beat Diaz again and I am perplexed as to why JK finds it such a fascinating fight, twice was enough for me and there was a definite sense in the second fight that he had figured out Diaz to an extent.

I think it's a couple of factors. Conor has always said he will give Nate that rubber match so he kind of has to go through with it before retiring. From Kavanaghs perspective, Diaz is a known quantity at this stage unlike other riskier fights and it's really just a matter of working on Conors cardio to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

crybaby wrote: »

I don't think he finds it as fascinating as he makes it out, rather thats the fight he wants Conor to take for other reasons. Diaz is such a simple fighter, no chance of powerful punches, brutal head kicks, flying knees, spinning backfists. Hes just going to stand there and take punches and all conor has to do is stay focused and not gas himself out to have a good chance at winning. He doesn't want any chance of his star pupil ending his career by being knocked out cold, thats why he said he wouldn't corner him unless it was a diaz/khabib rematch, most other 155 fighters have KO ability besides diaz/khabib. Plus its not so bad if he loses to someone he's already lost to, reputation wise. Thats just my opinion, could be wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nate fight appeals in terms of style but lets see what happens in a few weeks. 3 years almost to the day since his last fight and if he loses this he will have lost 5 of his last 8 fights in the last 7 years.

A journeyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

The Nal wrote: »
    The Nate fight appeals in terms of style but lets see what happens in a few weeks. 3 years almost to the day since his last fight and if he loses this he will have lost 5 of his last 8 fights in the last 7 years.

A journeyman.

Its all about the money, he'll be the best paid journeyman ever. He used to talk about legacy bla bla bla, lets face it ,its about money now and has been for the past few years. The Mayweather fight ruined him in terms of hunger. He partied hard after that and has never recovered. He'll be remembered in the game, but not is the same way Anderson Silva or GSP will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

A journeyman.
    Journeymen don't spark Aldo in 13 seconds and make Alvarez look like an amateur.

He lost twice in the UFC since he landed in, I don't count the boxing match as a serious fight as it was nothing but a big payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Journeymen don't spark Aldo in 13 seconds and make Alvarez look like an amateur.

He lost twice in the UFC since he landed in, I don't count the boxing match as a serious fight as it was nothing but a big payday.

I think he's saying Nate's a journeyman?

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I think he's saying Nate's a journeyman?

Yes of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yes of course
    Aha, I retract my previous post so.
    I've been up since 5:30, I may not be fully awake at the mo.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Aha, I retract my previous post so.
    I've been up since 5:30, I may not be fully awake at the mo.

Ha, all good.

But yeah, the Diaz fight could be fun in terms of style but we'll see how he gets on in a few weeks. 3 years out is a long time. Potential big payday loss if he gets beaten by Pettis. Thankfully for Nate, Pettis is very beatable these days

Ha, all good.

But yeah, the Diaz fight could be fun in terms of style but we'll see how he gets on in a few weeks. 3 years out is a long time. Potential big payday loss if he gets beaten by Pettis. Thankfully for Nate, Pettis is very beatable these days

Personally I think Pettis beats him. Can't see Nate using his size advantage effectively and can see Pettis outscoring him over 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Its all about the money, he'll be the best paid journeyman ever. He used to talk about legacy bla bla bla, lets face it ,its about money now and has been for the past few years. The Mayweather fight ruined him in terms of hunger. He partied hard after that and has never recovered. He'll be remembered in the game, but not is the same way Anderson Silva or GSP will.

apologies, I thought it was Mcgregor he was talking about. I don't think he is a Journey man either. I meant if you want to call him a 'journeyman' that's your opinion, but he'll be the best paid one ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Some guy I've never heard of says Conor is fighting Aldo in MSG at Lightweight. It's likely bollix but most of what I post is anyway so here is some more.

https://twitter.com/TalkMMA/status/1155541908309123072

That’s Dizz. Broke some big stories in the past. His info is usually reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

The fight nobody was clambering for. Except Jose. And deep down he doesn't even want it. His burgers seem to be selling well enough.

People have wanted Aldo to move to LW for a long time.
    But have to feel that the move, and the rematch, are about 3 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The fight nobody was clambering for. Except Jose. And deep down he doesn't even want it. His burgers seem to be selling well enough.

Yeah his burger place is meant to be great, proper fast food too. You head straight for the counter and you’re done in about 13 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Ugh.. Would be such an unnecessary and cowardly fight for McGregor to take. Holloway dismantled him twice and he was terrible in his last fight. The only 145er I'd have any internet in seeing him fight is Holloway and even then I'd be far more interested in seeing him fight any of the top 55ers

Incredibly underwhelming fight if true. I suppose it would be nice to see Jose given the opportunity for redemption. In the extremely unlikely scenario where it happens and Conor loses, we can unequivocally say that he's done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a fight, it's a headliner at MSG. For 2 fighters that have not been super active, that's pretty decent going.

It gets Conor the opportunity to show that he should be in the discussions about fights between the top 3 or 4 guys in the division. It gives Jose a chance at redemption and to step up to 155.

It'll be a win for the UFC because they can promote the bejaysus out of it.

The only thing is that it's not a glamorous fight for McGregor, but he probably needs to suck it up just to get back into the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's a fight, it's a headliner at MSG. For 2 fighters that have not been super active, that's pretty decent going.

It gets Conor the opportunity to show that he should be in the discussions about fights between the top 3 or 4 guys in the division. It gives Jose a chance at redemption and to step up to 155.

It'll be a win for the UFC because they can promote the bejaysus out of it.

The only thing is that it's not a glamorous fight for McGregor, but he probably needs to suck it up just to get back into the ring.

They'll make it glamorous enough for him in the promos no doubt, we'll see clips of the trash talk and knockout a million times and then add on some fresh stuff on top too. I'd imagine it's the ""easiest"" fight he could take that's not stepping away from big names and paydays. Also, if it does happen, you would imagine he wouldn't go out on it, so should mean further fights down the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Nate fight holds zero interest for me, it's nothing but a cardio test for Conor. Their second fight showed Conor was light years ahead of Nate, but Nate's unnatural ability to keep getting back up, meant the only challenge Conor faced, was against his own gas tank. It's how he lost the first fight, he blew his gas tank looking for a first round KO...which was never going to happen against Nate. He did win the second fight, in a very clear 3-2 fashion...but at certain points he was running away from Nate in order to catch his breath. Who wants to see that again?

Conversely, I actually like the Aldo 2 idea. I know Conor 'shocked the world' with the 13 second knock out, but we never really got to see the two go at it. I still feel Aldo could ask big questions of Conor, even at 155. Aldo would just need to survive the first two rounds, and by then, Conor's game drops off significantly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Neither fight is interesting for me.. they both are just attraction fights rather than having any sporting merit. The build up might be enjoyable (and even that's getting less likely as Conor loses his wit and interest) but afterwards it'll just feel flat and empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Not excited at all about the Aldo rumors. He’s been beat twice by Holloway and also got beat by the Aussie guy, so should be an easy win for Conor. I want to see Mcgregor back competing for the 55 title so if he has to take 1 impressive scalp en route to khabib (or pourier!!) that would need to be a Ferguson, Gathe, iaquinto, cowboy or even Max at 55, not Aldo. Or a 165 title fight vs Masquival would also excite me and sell big.
    Beating Aldo won’t impress khabib or Ferguson.

Advertisement