Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    I'd back both youtubers to KO McGregor in boxing....

You are an awful gambler by the sounds of it.
    I wouldn't put a penny on it, there is no way to know how him fighting either of those would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Esse85 wrote: »
    A poster said Conor had never been bloodied before, several posters including myself pointed out that was incorrect and gave examples.
    Reading the posts in context it was pretty clear he was talking about bloodied in the sense of taking excessive damage. ie being a bloody mess like Sanchez, Diaz, or whoever.

If we listing every cut and scrape. Might as well include a nick while shaving.

I think it all stems from my post where I said if he loses, rather than take (potential) damage in MMA he'd be better off exhibition boxing for more money.

I wasn't saying he's taken serious damage, to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

He didn't do too badly in the second fight but just folded like a deck chair as soon as the legs went and Dustin knocked him, he didn't have his hands up either, a sitting duck by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I rewatched it last night, the leg kicks started to really hurt early in the 2nd but thought he was still 'winning' until he wasn't. Surely his cardio will be better this time but hoping he changes from the boxing stance to avoid the leg kicks as he was just a sitting duck for them all 2 rounds.

I actually think he'll beat him in the rematch after rewatching it, must be mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I rewatched it last night, the leg kicks started to really hurt early in the 2nd but thought he was still 'winning' until he wasn't. Surely his cardio will be better this time but hoping he changes from the boxing stance to avoid the leg kicks as he was just a sitting duck for them all 2 rounds.

I actually think he'll beat him in the rematch after rewatching it, must be mad!

You're not alone, I think he'll win too, I'm surprised how many people are writing him off

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's the younger generation. Result of the last fight is all they see.

Now I'm talking about those who don't really follow the sport there, all they watch is the really big cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fair play to him he's picking up the bill for the Irish mma cadets to go to the immaf world championship. In a time where all the gyms are broke over covid and funding has been difficult it's an amazing gesture. About 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

what happened andrew mcgahon? did he fall out with mcgregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Watched it there myself, I didn't think he was too troubled by Dustin until the end. Great execution by him certainly, but I McGregor would have reason to feel he can win the rematch. That said, the lack of adjustment during the fight is very worrying. The lack of creativity and variation from him stands in stark contrast to previous years.

Hope he can change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Watched it there myself, I didn't think he was too troubled by Dustin until the end. Great execution by him certainly, but I McGregor would have reason to feel he can win the rematch. That said, the lack of adjustment during the fight is very worrying. The lack of creativity and variation from him stands in stark contrast to previous years.

Hope he can change that.

He adjusted somewhat in the 2nd round by grabbing a few of those legs kicks but the damage was probably already done you could see the reddening and swelling already .......he certainly can't go in with the same flat stance or he'll get chopped down again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah I agree that the stance definitely has to change otherwise it could be the same. Maybe he'll try to check the kicks this time to somewhat reduce the damage so early on.
    Another factor was that he brought the family over as well which had to be a distraction(also showed he underestimated Poirier imo) whereas now he's already left them to concentrate 100%.

I don't like him as a person but love the show he brings(except the McGregor nutcases) and love watching him as a fighter inside the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mellor wrote: »
    Reading the posts in context it was pretty clear he was talking about bloodied in the sense of taking excessive damage. ie being a bloody mess like Sanchez, Diaz, or whoever.

If we listing every cut and scrape. Might as well include a nick while shaving.

It was far from clear as a number of other posters jumped in with other examples too, or maybe we're all wrong so.

Taking excess damage and bloodied are two different scenarios and given that I don't know the poster, I took his comment at face value, as did other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I watched it back a couple of weeks ago and my impression was that McGregor never looked to like having Poirier in big trouble and although the leg kicks got him that time around I'd be expecting even with adjustments for that his gas tank will let him down.

I think McGregor has the first 2 rounds to win it or he's done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

RoryMac wrote: »
    I watched it back a couple of weeks ago and my impression was that McGregor never looked to like having Poirier in big trouble and although the leg kicks got him that time around I'd be expecting even with adjustments for that his gas tank will let him down.

I think McGregor has the first 2 rounds to win it or he's done

I rewatched it today and Poirier looked to be feeling the effects of the grappling way more then McGregor. I forgot how much grappling against the cage had happened in round one.

I also thought McGregor had been limping more on the leg before the KO than he actually appeared to be on the rewatch. Poirier caught him nice, stunned McGregor, piled on the pressure and got the finish. It was fairly even up to that point.

McGregor looks like a person who doesn't take many hard knocks in training, either from partners being afraid/not allowed to, or from the quality of his training partners being too poor to be able to. His face marks up fairly easy when he gets hit hard in a fight, and he looks to panic too easily and not know how to compose himself after getting caught flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Will the return to Vegas & the familiar weigh in routine favour McGregor over Poirier, in Abu Dhabi it was getting towards 3 days between weigh in & fight

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

He was blowing out of his hole with 4 minutes gone in the first round McGregor, Poirier started the second full of beans thats the difference in fighters conor is regressing from an already bad cardio level, the check right hook from DP was money and I have him winning a lot easier and probably by sub this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,607 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the pace is casual/easy, Conor has 15 mins to get the job done.

If it is a decent busy pace he has 7-8 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Will we be all using Dutch VPNs again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I could be proved wrong on this by father time, but honestly, for my money, i genuinely dont think Conor will win against someone as high level as Dustin without switching to a much, much better team than SBG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I could be proved wrong on this by father time, but honestly, for my money, i genuinely dont think Conor will win against someone as high level as Dustin without switching to a much, much better team than SBG.

Cowley, Hammond and John "the godfather of irish MMA" Kavanagh are the cream of the crop.

he will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I still wonder was Conor injured last time or is he deluded ?

Dustin didn't get lucky he just beat him & was the better fighter, In such a short turn around Conor simply hasn't had enough time to do anything dramatically different ,

Does he know something we don't or is he just deluded to think it'll be different ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

So is Conor pretty much doing this camp away from the normal SBG coaching team? Usually you see a few pictures from Kavanagh or Roddy as they get ready to head off to wherever camp is. Or you get the odd pictures/comments about how camp is going. Or at the very least you see pictures of new places they are eating in or where Conor has them living.

I've seen nothing this time around other than Conor tweeting about #mycaligym and I think I seen the Doc in one photo. Have we even seen a picture of a sparring partner??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

I still wonder was Conor injured last time or is he deluded ?

Dustin didn't get lucky he just beat him & was the better fighter, In such a short turn around Conor simply hasn't had enough time to do anything dramatically different ,

Does he know something we don't or is he just deluded to think it'll be different ,

I really think Conor just completely overlooked Dustin last time. He thought it was going to be a walk in the park and was just using it as a warm up easy fight before fighting Manny and was only focusing on his boxing that he thought would be miles better than Dustin. It also seemed like his plan was to take his time and he probably wanted it to last to prove his cardio had gotten better.

Of course we all saw how that went but I can totally see why he would be confident in the rematch while giving it full focus. It seems like a lot of people are allowing their personal opinions of Conor as a person cloud their judgement of his ability as a fighter. He absolutely still has what it takes to beat Dustin, and knowing what he is like, my bet is he will be using a lot of calf kicks himself but I reckon he will try and knock him out early. He almost knocked him out last time, but like I said he seemed to want to take his time last fight.

I think this time it could go either way. I'm guessing Dustin's gameplan will be to grapple more to tire him out and Mcgregor will be using much more in and out movement like Gunni and going for the kill.

DodoDojo wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of people are allowing their personal opinions of Conor as a person cloud their judgement of his ability as a fighter.

He's won 1 fight in the last 5 years and that was against a shot to bits Cowboy, he hasnt a prayer and its nothing to do with him being a scrote.

He's won 1 fight in the last 5 years and that was against a shot to bits Cowboy, he hasnt a prayer and its nothing to do with him being a scrote.

He's still a phenomenal striker and while he has been inactive, it's not like he is on a huge losing streak. No shame in losing to either Dustin or Khabib.

He's still a phenomenal striker and while he has been inactive, it's not like he is on a huge losing streak. No shame in losing to either Dustin or Khabib.

Personally I think he peaked in NYC when he beat Alvarez, has never looked the same since due to the distractions of boxing, money, whiskey, family and general out of the cage activities and run ins with the law..

His laser left hand is all he has and its been figured out now, he hasn't got a kicking wrestling or bjj game to offensively trouble Dustin, not to mention the cardio, most mma fans can hate a personality but still be honest about their abilities.

Personally I think he peaked in NYC when he beat Alvarez, has never looked the same since due to the distractions of boxing, money, whiskey, family and general out of the cage activities and run ins with the law..

His laser left hand is all he has and its been figured out now, he hasn't got a kicking wrestling or bjj game to offensively trouble Dustin, not to mention the cardio, most mma fans can hate a personality but still be honest about their abilities.

I mean, if you look at the first round in the last fight, I would give it to Conor and Dustin himself said Conor nearly knocked him out. I just cant see how with that being the case you can count him out.

Also while Cerrone is no doubt washed up, that was an absolutely amazing display by Conor. Stunning him with a shoulder shot and finishing him with a high kick. It was an absolute masterclass in striking and to me showed that he has still been evolving during inactivity.

I mean, if you look at the first round in the last fight, I would give it to Conor and Dustin himself said Conor nearly knocked him out. I just cant see how with that being the case you can count him out.

Also while Cerrone is no doubt washed up, that was an absolutely amazing display by Conor. Stunning him with a shoulder shot and finishing him with a high kick. It was an absolute masterclass in striking and to me showed that he has still been evolving during inactivity.

Cowboy has lost his last 6 and got ko'd 5 times you cant use that as a barometer when judging him imo,

I missed Dustin saying he was nearly knocked out where was this and what minute of the fight? I dont remember him ever being in trouble thought it was a very close first round myself.

• Advertisement

Cowboy has lost his last 6 and got ko'd 5 times you cant use that as a barometer when judging him imo,

I missed Dustin saying he was nearly knocked out where was this and what minute of the fight? I dont remember him ever being in trouble thought it was a very close first round myself.

I think he said it in the Post Fight Presser, I'm guessing it was the big left hand that landed in the first round. Cant remember completely to be honest

Advertisement