Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cowboy has lost his last 6 and got ko'd 5 times you cant use that as a barometer when judging him imo,

I missed Dustin saying he was nearly knocked out where was this and what minute of the fight? I dont remember him ever being in trouble thought it was a very close first round myself.
    There was one shot that clearly hurt Dustin, but it was never followed up. He was let compose himself and continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a pity that Conor doesn't ever use a ground game. His grappling seems pretty decent, and having that element to his game would certainly make him harder to gameplan for.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

It's a pity that Conor doesn't ever use a ground game. His grappling seems pretty decent, and having that element to his game would certainly make him harder to gameplan for.

Yeah in fairness he actually did better than most against Khabib, had a lovely guard pass against Denis Siver, used an X-sweep against Nate and a beautiful guillotine escape against Mendes. His grappling his not bad at all. Definitely dont think its better than Dustin though, so its not really a feasible strategy to beat him.

I think this time if Dustin wins it will be through grappling. If Conor wins it will be an early knockout

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whelo79 wrote: »
    So is Conor pretty much doing this camp away from the normal SBG coaching team? Usually you see a few pictures from Kavanagh or Roddy as they get ready to head off to wherever camp is.
    I think you're falling into the mistake hat a lot of people make and assume that Insta tells the full story of everything.

Roddy and John flew out a good while ago. Not sure why they aren't showing much training shots this time. Cards close to their chest I guess.
    They were in Dubai, now in California I believe,
    He's won 1 fight in the last 5 years and that was against a shot to bits Cowboy, he hasn't a prayer and its nothing to do with him being a scrote.

He's 2-2 in the last 5 years. Losing to Khabib and Dustin hardly means he's washed up. Hasn't a shot is ridiculous hyperbole. It's even money fight.

Some serious amount of results based thinking going on here.
    Funny that nobody was saying he was washed up in january. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Mellor wrote: »

He's 2-2 in the last 5 years. Losing to Khabib and Dustin hardly means he's washed up. Hasn't a shot is ridiculous hyperbole. It's even money fight.

I make DP a 2/5 shot and will bet accordingly on this rick on the markets, McG will be blowing out of his hole like last time after 4 or 5 minutes, his last real win to judge him on was Alvarez that Cowboy thing isnt worth talking about anyone top 10 would do same to him the way he is now.

Recency Bias that you continue to go about isnt my opinion, I just think McGregor as an athlete is finished and DP is top 3 on the planet and probably at his peak of his career.

• Advertisement

I make DP a 2/5 shot and will bet accordingly on this rick on the markets, McG will be blowing out of his hole like last time after 4 or 5 minutes, his last real win to judge him on was Alvarez that Cowboy thing isnt worth talking about anyone top 10 would do same to him the way he is now.

Recency Bias that you continue to go about isnt my opinion, I just think McGregor as an athlete is finished and DP is top 3 on the planet and probably at his peak of his career.

Far play to you for putting numbers to it. Most don't bother.
    2/5 makes him almost a 70-75% chance. I don't it's nearly that big. Many will probably say it's higher.
    But, if you're betting according, you'd be filling you boots at even money.

His last real big win was Alvarez, I agree with that.
    Most top LWs beat Cowboy last year, I agree also. But few do it so efficiently imo. There's something to take from that.
    I'll also look at his loses too btw. Yes Khabib beat him, but it's still a performance we can consider. Same with DP in january.

Basically I'm think we're stronger evidence of his ability, than if he was soming in with 5 year ring rust since Alvarez.

As for recency bias. I see this all the time in rematches, and have mentined it on here too for other fight before DP won.
    It's pretty clear if you look at the general attitude here vrs the general attiitude in January.
    We've gone from DP is a walkover, gimme fight, to CMcG is washed up/found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you're falling into the mistake hat a lot of people make and assume that Insta tells the full story of everything.

Roddy and John flew out a good while ago. Not sure why they aren't showing much training shots this time. Cards close to their chest I guess.
    They were in Dubai, now in California I believe,

I just had a scroll through John and Owen's Instagram accounts and it really is radio silence this time around. There's a couple of non fight related pictures and short clip with Hans Molenkamp from John that show he is in California. There's nothing from Owen other than posts wishing his kids happy birthday and that he'll see them soon.

Very different from their usual build up in relation to social media activity.

Must be playing touch butt in the park again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chael's latest video is him predicting Conor v Dustin and he mentions that Conor is deliberately not doing any pre-fight press and is keeping things quiet, according to what Robin Black told him.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Save for the obligatory no shirt pics with a pump and the hangers on comments...staunch, unit, etc etc...

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I just had a scroll through John and Owen's Instagram accounts and it really is radio silence this time around. There's a couple of non fight related pictures and short clip with Hans Molenkamp from John that show he is in California. There's nothing from Owen other than posts wishing his kids happy birthday and that he'll see them soon.

Very different from their usual build up in relation to social media activity.
    Owen and John both have photos from Dubai up on insta. Plus one of them had an airport story up. They were definitely over there. https://www.instagram.com/p/CPM72OaLrB6/

They are clearly operating a low key, no social media camp. I'm just saying I think it's a mistake to assume no social media means he camp away from the normal SBG coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

From what I recall, he went to ground for Nate 2 as well. Good sign that he'll be more focused this time around.

The two big concerns with Conor are his cardio and that he is phenomenal when he's the hammer, not so much when he's the nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Naos wrote: »
    From what I recall, he went to ground for Nate 2 as well. Good sign that he'll be more focused this time around.

The two big concerns with Conor are his cardio and that he is phenomenal when he's the hammer, not so much when he's the nail.

The 2nd is intrinsically linked to the first .........when he hasn't got a saggy gas face there's not many who have too much for him, even Khabib probably had to work as hard as he's ever done to get him out ..........Porier caught him clean but I still think the leg kicks played a major part in that finish much like the leg kicks played a major part in Diaz II

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The 2nd is intrinsically linked to the first .........when he hasn't got a saggy gas face there's not many who have too much for him, even Khabib probably had to work as hard as he's ever done to get him out ..........Porier caught him clean but I still think the leg kicks played a major part in that finish much like the leg kicks played a major part in Diaz II

Yep, fair point and I'd tend to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

There's few fighters I have ever gotten more enjoyment out of watching than Conor. When at his peak he is/was a special athlete/fighter.

He is a fast twitch fighter though and I'm not sure if the reactions and speed are what they once were. There wasn't the same pop in his punches. I felt very early in the last fight that he was not what he once was even though I gave him the round. I hope he proves me wrong and puts on a show as I'd like nothing more than to be able to plan a trip to Vegas for a Conor title fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Annd9

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Chael's latest video is him predicting Conor v Dustin and he mentions that Conor is deliberately not doing any pre-fight press and is keeping things quiet, according to what Robin Black told him.

Makes sense.

He also said it's because he is in Ireland for his camp which is not true . I like Chael but he talks a lot of nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

There's few fighters I have ever gotten more enjoyment out of watching than Conor. When at his peak he is/was a special athlete/fighter.

He is a fast twitch fighter though and I'm not sure if the reactions and speed are what they once were. There wasn't the same pop in his punches. I felt very early in the last fight that he was not what he once was even though I gave him the round. I hope he proves me wrong and puts on a show as I'd like nothing more than to be able to plan a trip to Vegas for a Conor title fight again.

Lets see how this plays out. While I somewhat agree with you, I doubt you were saying that after the Cowboy fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

sonofenoch wrote: »
    ..........Porier caught him clean but I still think the leg kicks played a major part in that finish

Of course they did and it was pretty amazing that he had no defence for them given how they are some a common party of most fighter's arsenal these days.

He used to be ahead of the game but now he's not even keeping up to date with the basics. He's basically the Jose Mourinho of MMA at this stage - someone with an incredible past but whose best days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He used to be ahead of the game but now he's not even keeping up to date with the basics. He's basically the Jose Mourinho of MMA at this stage - someone with an incredible past but whose best days are long gone.
    On how many fights have you based this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Where's the hype for this fight? Countdown shows, media tours etc. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Where's the hype for this fight? Countdown shows, media tours etc. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

They don't do media tours anymore, unless it is a huge super fight.

Countdown shows etc always come out the week of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Without sounding mean there is this thing called Covid ,

They want the fighter around as little people as possible before the fights to make sure the fight happen ,

It is a shame as there has been a lot of big fights that in normal times would have been much more hyped and anticipated,

Aul Conor's career will end like a flat balloon last 3 fights during the covid less hype era ,

I think he gets stopped and never returns ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Any more on the staph rumors ?

Who has McGregor been training with ?

Cian Cowley
    John Mitchell

John Kavanagh
    Owen Roddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Any more on the staph rumors ?

Who has McGregor been training with ?

Cian Cowley
    John Mitchell

John Kavanagh
    Owen Roddy

Staph or staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Staph or staff?

Staph, as in a staph infection. There was a pic of McGregor which a bruise or rash on one of his arms.
    Could be a thing of nothing but of course people jumped on it and said it was Staph.

I could see how the confusion occurred to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

xtal191 wrote: »
    2nd fight is on youtube for anyone interested in giving it another watch

It looks like such an easy nights work for Poirier when you watch it back.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

It looks like such an easy nights work for Poirier when you watch it back.

if conor corrects his stance ( back to karate stance ) and bobs and weaves like he did ala Jose Aldo and dodges the kicks or checks them , i see him destroying porier

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

if conor corrects his stance ( back to karate stance ) and bobs and weaves like he did ala Jose Aldo and dodges the kicks or checks them , i see him destroying porier

:D:D so simple isn't it .....ps its not simple not at all,

Dustin a better fighter at this point and will ko him again

• Advertisement

Same here, he is still definitely a better striker than Porier and round 1 of the last fight proved that. Dustin had a great game plan and won by calf kicks but Conor will obviously be ready for that this time. You can tell Conor took his time last fight and didn't rush to finish Dustin when he had him hurt in round 1. That definitely wont be the case this time.

I think he will be back to the Karate stance and throwing plenty of kicks himself and will finish Dustin with the left hand like he did in the first fight.

The only way I can see Dustin winning this one is by submission.

Advertisement