Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

US2 wrote: »
    If Tony turns down Khabib McGregor is next says Dana.. No doubt they'll make Tony a measly offer hoping he'll refuse. Embarrassing

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1170472597567496197?s=19

Ferguson has to be next for Khabib. Makes no sense for Conor to fight him again before Tony.

Conor needs another match and more importantly another win before given a shot at the title again. Not only does he need his confidence back in the Octagon but he needs to fight his way to the title shot just like everybody else.

Surely Ferguson isn't going to say no to Khabib but say for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I don't think Khabib is going to even entertain the idea of a rematch with 'bullsh*t guy' Conor.

Exciting times in this division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Justin Gaethje response to Conors tweet was savage. If he beats Cowboy next week that should be McGregors next fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ricero wrote: »
    Justin Gaethje response to Conors tweet was savage. If he beats Cowboy next week that should be McGregors next fight

I would imagine that was Justin laying the groundwork for that fight regardless of the result against cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What was it? I’m not on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

How witty

Hard not to argue with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Or hard to argue with even?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Trouble is, it's just impossible to know where McGregor is at now comparative to his peak - say his 205 form. Any rationalist and even myself as a big fan (still) would have to suspect he's probably some way off that.

I'd fancy that version of McGregor against Gaethje. Right now, all bets are off - I think it'd be good litmus test.

Gaethje is obviously no slouch by any metric, but given all that's went before in respect of achievements and rise, if he can't get it done against Justin it'd be a sure sign to hang them up.

MMA is easily the cruelest sport to watch someone past peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Id put money on that being his manager Ali Abdelaziz tweeting that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

How witty

Don't think he's being witty, he's being honest. How can you argue with any of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is Conor homeless now or what?......divorced, disowned ?

none of those? ok

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is Conor homeless now or what?......divorced, disowned ?

none of those? ok

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Gaethje would **** Conor up at present I fear. Diaz gave him fits when he put the bull guard up and just walked him down and that's Justin's whole game. The power coming back would be far higher too. He melts him in two I'd say.

dulux99 wrote: »
    What?

Well what everything has he lost?

he's lost your 'likes'........but surviving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Lost millions in lawsuits and compensation
    Lost his belt
    Lost his pride
    Lost the respect people had for him

Goes back to the recurring theme in this thread whereby McGregor has loads of money so all the criticism of him is incorrect.

He's proven himself to be a terrible person, partner and father many times over. The world knows it. He's embarrassed his family, his fans and lost the respect of everyone in his own country and most people involved in his sport. Yeah he still has a fat bank account, nobody's denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Stupid tweet from Justin. I don't mind the 'tool' or some elements of it but overall it's gutter stuff I would have thought would be above him. Nothing wrong with "You're a tool, you've lost everything, your belt, your dignity, the respect of your fans" etc. But the **** father, **** human, **** husband is way OTT and really out of order.

Homelander wrote: »
    Stupid tweet from Justin. I don't mind the 'tool' or some elements of it but overall it's gutter stuff I would have thought would be above him. Nothing wrong with "You're a tool, you've lost everything, your belt, your dignity, the respect of your fans" etc. But the **** father, **** human, **** husband is way OTT and really out of order.

...but McGregor has proven time and time again he is all of those things? Actions have consequences. He's carried on like a total thug for too long and now people are pulling him up on it. McGregor has stooped far lower on people in the past. He's made his bed now he has to lie in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

What's McGregor at these days? Is he training hard, still on the sesh, or somewhere in between?

• Advertisement

Goes back to the recurring theme in this thread whereby McGregor has loads of money so all the criticism of him is incorrect.

He's proven himself to be a terrible person, partner and father many times over. The world knows it. He's embarrassed his family, his fans and lost the respect of everyone in his own country and most people involved in his sport. Yeah he still has a fat bank account, nobody's denying that.

Sorry had to check if we were talking about Robert Mugabe or some other despot

OTT or what, I'd say

Sorry had to check if we were talking about Robert Mugabe or some other despot

OTT or what, I'd say

You don't have to be a tyrannical dictator to be a bad person, chief.

You don't have to be a tyrannical dictator to be a bad person, chief.

You can have the last word, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

...but McGregor has proven time and time again he is all of those things? Actions have consequences. He's carried on like a total thug for too long and now people are pulling him up on it. McGregor has stooped far lower on people in the past. He's made his bed now he has to lie in it.
    It's still tasteless and doesn't reflect well on Justin. Who cares if McGregor has said worse? Who cares if people know McGregor has been a mess the past while? What ever happened to being better, or above, that? Just because something is true, or known, or suspected, or whatever, doesn't mean it's open license to say whatever.
    There's a big difference between trash talk, and actual low level gutter talk. McGregor used to be good at the former, but slid into the latter in recent years, which disappointed a lot of people. Justin should be better than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's still tasteless and doesn't reflect well on Justin.

ali-abdelaziz-2014-world-mma-awards.jpg?w=640

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I must keep missing the Conor wedding to Dee....

Seems plenty think he’s some sorta’ husband...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's still tasteless and doesn't reflect well on Justin. Who cares if McGregor has said worse? Who cares if people know McGregor has been a mess the past while? What ever happened to being better, or above, that? Just because something is true, or known, or suspected, or whatever, doesn't mean it's open license to say whatever.
    There's a big difference between trash talk, and actual low level gutter talk. McGregor used to be good at the former, but slid into the latter in recent years, which disappointed a lot of people. Justin should be better than that.

He is a sh*t human though. How anyone can deny that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think McG can beat Khabib, but whether he will or not is another matter. Whether he even deserves the fight is even up for debate.

For me the question is:

Does he still retain that KO punch power which was on display against Aldo and Buchinger (and to a lesser degree against Alvarez and in the Nate II bout)?

Can he get back to that level of ability? Does he have it in him to work that hard again?

Fcuk knows.... but I sure hope he does.

Everyone deserves a 12th chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He needs several shots to KO Khabib. Conor does not have enough one shot concussive power to sleep Khabib. He won’t get to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Lads he hasn’t got knockout power at lightweight.

How many times did he hit Nate flush. He knew his whole game plan of knocking khabib out was a non runner. He turned up knowing it wasn’t going to happen.

Mcgregor s main advantage and skill was cutting weight. He got the lightweight belt at a good time before khabib turned up.

His power looked amazing when he was towering over lads who had no head movement and punching downwards.

I can’t see him ever cutting weight down to that size again. At best he will hover in the top ten lightweight. If khabib goes up a weight and leaves the division he might get lucky but that depends on him changing his life around and I think he is too far gone.

Seeing people talking about his chances against established boxers is even more comical.

Conor McGregor is a song and dance man. A great showman. A decent and at his best a solid mma fighter. Some of the stuff here though is ridiculous.

He is better off retiring before he turns up totally unfit and gets hurt.

Advertisement