Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Mendes and both Diaz fights were 3 classics. Just brute barbarism combined with the exquisite skills of Conor on his feet and the other 2 on the ground.
    Nate was away for what more than 2 years, now after 1 fight he is back to being a superstar. Conor can still turn this around, although it is looking more and more like a celebrity meltdown as each week passes. If a fight is announced soon I don’t see him changing his crazy character much, and that is part of what has gone against him in recent years. You can see most of the other fighters are just bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The Mendes and both Diaz fights were 3 classics. Just brute barbarism combined with the exquisite skills of Conor on his feet and the other 2 on the ground.
    Nate was away for what more than 2 years, now after 1 fight he is back to being a superstar. Conor can still turn this around, although it is looking more and more like a celebrity meltdown as each week passes. If a fight is announced soon I don’t see him changing his crazy character much, and that is part of what has gone against him in recent years. You can see most of the other fighters are just bored of it.

I can't see him turning this around unless 'turning it around' includes beating someone relatively handy by his standards like Frankie Edgar. Can't see him beating a top 5 lightweight again. He should just focus on turning his life around at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Nate was away for what more than 2 years, now after 1 fight he is back to being a superstar.

He was never really a superstar. The first guy in the UFC to beat Conor, sure. And that's what thrust him forward to being more recognised outside the UFC.
    Still Ill wrote: »
    I can't see him turning this around unless 'turning it around' includes beating someone relatively handy by his standards.

Yeah, as a fighter he's done at his peak level. He's just let his money and lifestyle take him over and he's a pretty horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Effects wrote: »
    Same way Chad Mendes was destroying Conor until he blew his gas tank.
    Imagine what full camp Mendes could have done.

Full camp Mendes beats McG anyday IMO. He is a more explosive version of Khabib in terms of getting a person to the ground. In that fight McG spent more time on his back than on his feet, and both times he got up from the floor is when Mendes tried foe a submission

Now it is MMA and we saw Frankie Edgar put Chad to sleep and he is not considered a power puncher.

Back to McG Vs Diaz which I think will happen, unless other issues arise, McG destroys Diaz if he fights intelligently and comes in with good cardio.

JJayoo wrote: »
    McG destroys Diaz if he fights intelligently and comes in with good cardio.

He can't seem to improve his cardio enough though. It hasn't happened in the past, so how would it happen when he's not training full time anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

JJayoo wrote: »
    McG absolutely dismantled Diaz in both fights until he blew his gas tank.

No he didn't

He lost the first fight

The second fight
    card9.0.0.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No he didn't

He lost the first fight

The second fight
    card9.0.0.JPG

I don't think you understood Jayroo's point. Because the scorecard you posted completely agrees with him

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think you understood Jayroo's point. Because the score can you posted completely agrees with him

That scorecard is not a dismantling though... And Conor was not dismantling Diaz at any stage of the first fight

That scorecard is not a dismantling though... And Conor was not dismantling Diaz at any stage of the first fight
    The score card is all five rounds. Jayroo was clearly referring to the first two rounds only. I think you knew that tbh. I think he had 3 knock downs in those rounds. Saying it wasn't dominant it silly. Diaz clearly won the 3rd obviously.

McGregor Diaz still baffles me. One of the clearest cut, and easiest fights to score, yet all sorts of straw clutching going on.

Mellor wrote: »
    The score card is all five rounds. Jayroo was clearly referring to the first two rounds only. I think you knew that tbh.

I didn't to be honest, so fair enough. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If that does happen it'll be 4 years since he last made 145lbs, I think he was 153lbs for the Mayweather fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Could always fight at 155. Frankie used to have the belt there, didn't he?

Have to say that fight would be completely underwhelming to me anyway. Only positive would be that maybe if he lost to Frankie he'd just p1ss off for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

A Frankie fight would be such a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It would be pathetic if true.

A fight 4 years too late. McGregor back to beaten up midgets. He's dodging Gaethje.

UFC are not going to book Conor any time soon. Not against Frankie or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

UFC are not going to book Conor any time soon. Not against Frankie or anyone else.

Agree. Don't think they'll touch him until other matters are cleared up.

Why?

I didn't to be honest, so fair enough. :confused:
    Fair enough, I read it as an indictment of his cardio. He was blowing hard by the start of the third. Cue the performance drop...
    ricero wrote: »

A fight 4 years too late. McGregor back to beaten up midgets. He's dodging Gaethje.

Frankie coming up to 155. Agree, completely ridiculous match up. Frankie is a small FW at best.

I can't imagine Conor is ever cutting back to FW. He's just that bit too big now. I don't think there's anything wrong with making the cut if he could. But he can't.

• Advertisement

Why?

Stop asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ricero wrote: »

So lets say Conor starts fighting again, he definitely needs a few fights before going back in with top level opponents. I say let it happen and if he gets a couple of wins then he can make a case for a run at a title shot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So lets say Conor starts fighting again, he definitely needs a few fights before going back in with top level opponents. I say let it happen and if he gets a couple of wins then he can make a case for a run at a title shot.

Yeah, no harm in getting some tune up fights and try to redeem his reputation. If Frankie happens, it's against someone who has been in his shadow for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The Nal wrote: »
    Agree. Don't think they'll touch him until other matters are cleared up.

He may have visa issues soon, perhaps he going to honeypot for last time.

I say let it happen and if he gets a couple of wins then he can make a case for a run at a title shot.

Let him also fight the top guys, not just a few tune up fights. Then let him go for the title.

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JoeyJJ wrote: »

it's for charity though :) like jim'l fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't think he can make featherweight again, he has bulked up slightly since he last fought at 145, and he always looked like death as it was.

No point Frankie doing it at lightweight either, as he's a small featherweight that'd easily make bantamweight if he tried.

This is assuming of course, that he actually fights this year, or again.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    No point Frankie doing it at lightweight either, as he's a small featherweight that'd easily make bantamweight if he tried.

Would that not be part of Conor's tactics? Make Frankie come up to LW to give him a better chance of beating him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

Why?

Look, you know the rules. If it's non-fight related talk about this world-famous Irish sports star you can't be doing it here.

Advertisement