Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Nal wrote: »
    4 inches taller but McGregor has a longer reach. Interesting from that point of view.

Yep, pretty sure Conor had a longer reach than Diaz also. It's the kicks from Cerrone that could be key. Leg kicks and high kicks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's 4W's and 6L's in his last 10. that says everything about how finished Cowboy is. His chin is mush, he can't take it to the body. This is a gimmie fight for Mcg if he turns up fit and healthy. I would say he is training better than he has done in a few years. No pictures of him out and about town with his scummy mates, so he's on his best behaviour.

It may be seen as a gimmie but I don't see it as one.

Look at the guys Cerrone has lost to
    Masvidal
    Lawler (decision)
    Till
    Edwards
    Ferguson
    Gaethje

They're not exactly nobodies and 4 of them are proper welterweights, with one of those being a huge welterweight.

It is a lot of damage he's taken all right but I don't see him being an easy fight for McGregor. Styles make fights and all that, plus he's taller and has the about the same reach as McGregor. McGregor hasn't fought many people with those dimensions.

there's fit and there's fighting fit, if McGregor skips in with that karate stance feeling out cerrone, then he skips out rolling, that could be a nice head kick on
    the way up. I fancy a cerrone win, despite the down cycle.

McGregor is trying to reignite a very rare passage in time, I've seen it loads of times with great guys. matt hughes vs ricardo almeida is one, BJ penn had the same fate, edgar, etc etc. Plus 170 is too much for his gas tank, he was like an elastic band with switch kicks followed by straight rights when he was at 145 against Holloway, who looked out of his depth. He's simply not that guy anymore and now even if he won this one, he'll be humiliated very soon, by someone of a much lesser pedigree than even a top 5'er.

Or I could be wrong... time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Doubtful but I'd love if this Conor turned up. Absolute joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm bowing out until fight night gents enjoy the madness on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Esse85 wrote:
    Elite to me is top 2 in the weight category.
    That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

Why's that?

By definition "elite" means the following :

'A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group'

Esse85 wrote: »
    the opponent is not an elite opponent.

Mellor, do you agree with this statement?

That at this given time and weight, Cerrone is not an elite level opponent for Mcgregor.

Esse85 wrote:
    'A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group'
    Yes a select group as in the majority of UFC fighters are far superior than the rest of professional mma fighters.

Yes a select group as in the majority of UFC fighters are far superior than the rest of professional mma fighters.

We are only talking about the UFC here, this is a Conor Mcgregor thread, he fights in the UFC, other organisations have nothing to do with my point or this thread. Stick to the script please.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Doubtful but I'd love if this Conor turned up. Absolute joy to watch.

And Mike Goldberg a joy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Surprised at my apathy towards a McGregor fight. He is the reason I've been obsessed with boxing and MMA for the past five years It was his rise and confidence that hooked me in and put my down a YouTube rabbithole towards IFLTV for boxing and then you're emotionally invested in it all.

This fight is right from all angles as a comeback fight. CM has been so inactive and rusty and seemingly not living the life. Cerrone is a still a top end* 155er. He's got the highlight reel, the records, name and the record to sell the fight. He's took L's to some great fighters and got some great wins himself - yet seems stylistically perfect for McGregor tactically and he always seems to choke in the spotlight.

Gathje is maybe the 'right' fight rankings wise. But thats not fight you fancy Conor in as much and from the standpoint of promotionally and as part of building Conors star back. Cerrone is the way to go.

Maybe fightweek will get me more hyped with the pressers and media stuff but right now just so much of what interested me in Conor initally just leaves me disappointed. From his coach thinking he's some savant genius while brown nosing some of the worse opinionators in american popular culture and being generally pithy and IAMVERYSMART so often, to pretty everything McGregor himself has done since what seems like forever

* Maybe in boxing with the more diluted weightclasses it can be 2/3 or less 'elite' fighters but in MMA with the bigger jumps i think its fair to say more fighters are elite and even then certain weighclasses will be thin. 155 and 170 are not thin weightclasses

Esse85 wrote:
    We are only talking about the UFC here, this is a Conor Mcgregor thread, he fights in the UFC, other organisations have nothing to do with my point or this thread. Stick to the script please.
    We are talking about elite fighters from the champ all the way down the rankings until we are scraping the barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dana says...

Conor McGregor on standby to face Khabib if Tony Ferguson fight is cancelled for fifth time, confirms UFC chief White
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/mma/10659151/mcgregor-khabib-ferguson-ufc-white/

comment on the reddit thread 'Will he face Tony if Khabib can’t make it?'
    I'd definitely be more up for that fight than I am for the Cowboy one, not feeling it this time at all

Dana says...

Conor McGregor on standby to face Khabib if Tony Ferguson fight is cancelled for fifth time, confirms UFC chief White
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/mma/10659151/mcgregor-khabib-ferguson-ufc-white/

comment on the reddit thread 'Will he face Tony if Khabib can’t make it?'
    I'd definitely be more up for that fight than I am for the Cowboy one, not feeling it this time at all

Who apart from McGregor wants to see the Khabib fight again? He got completely dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Ush1 wrote: »
    Who apart from McGregor wants to see the Khabib fight again? He got completely dealt with.

I do, as much as I despise Mc gregor I think if he's on top of his game he could take Khabib, he was way to rusty last time, slow, inaccurate! Weak etc. It would be some story for him to actually clean his act up by bateing cowboy, then Gaethje then Khabib. It's the only formula to his redemption and his legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Macdarack wrote: »
    cowboy is a few punches away from murdering his family

What are you basing that on? And when he retires, are you still going to be spouting that kind of talk, waiting for it to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv never been a big McGregor fan but it was clear as day he wasn't his normal self v Khabib ,
    He didn't look sharp or fit i'd like to see them fight when Conor is fighting fit but the big IF is will we ever see Conor fighting fit and sharp again , Who knows ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Effects wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? And when he retires, are you still going to be spouting that kind of talk, waiting for it to happen?

Obviously a huge stretch and a bit of a horrible comment , but I think he is refereeing to the fact CTE causes people to become violent ,
    Look at all the cases of ex NFL players doing crazy **** after they retire,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Iv never been a big McGregor fan but it was clear as day he wasn't his normal self v Khabib ,
    He didn't look sharp or fit i'd like to see them fight when Conor is fighting fit but the big IF is will we ever see Conor fighting fit and sharp again , Who knows ,

Styles make fights. Even Conor on his best day wouldn’t get past Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Obviously a huge stretch and a bit of a horrible comment , but I think he is refereeing to the fact CTE causes people to become violent ,

Chris Benoit is the most high profile case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double-murder_and_suicide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MMA is very safe in comparison to American football or boxing in that regard. The damage there is done in training and sparring. Even in a heavy MMA sparring session theres way less headshots. Boxers can be hit hundreds of times in the head in a 36 minute sparring session.

I think he is refereeing to the fact CTE causes people to become violent.

It is a horrible comment. With little enough basis in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm with you bud, I said it ages ago and I'll say it again,cowboy is a few punches away from murdering his family he should give it up.

Feckin hell. Unfollowing this thread now

Effects wrote:
    It is a horrible comment. With little enough basis in reality.
    Cowboy has taken a lot of head shots over the years and an awful lot in recent times.
    I don't think it's a huge stretch to suggest he might suffer from cte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cowboy has taken a lot of head shots over the years and an awful lot in recent times.

Fine if that’s what was actually said, but it wasn’t.

CTE can manifest itself in many forms. Developing a propensity for extreme violence and committing serious crimes (ie: murdering ones family) as a result of suffering from CTE is rare.

Comment about Cowboy was in pretty poor taste in fairness.

I do, as much as I despise Mc gregor I think if he's on top of his game he could take Khabib, he was way to rusty last time, slow, inaccurate! Weak etc. It would be some story for him to actually clean his act up by bateing cowboy, then Gaethje then Khabib. It's the only formula to his redemption and his legacy.

Sea level Cain, full camp Mendes etc etc....

Conor likely will never get back to his best form and even if he did, still would likely be beat again. The fight wasn't close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Sea level Cain, full camp Mendes etc etc....

Conor likely will never get back to his best form and even if he did, still would likely be beat again. The fight wasn't close.

The fight wasn't close because it was probably the worst shape he has ever been in coming into a fight in his pro career, and against the next best guy in the world.

McGregor is something special. But hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard. Conor has the potential to be one of the P4P greats but it takes long term dedication and sacrifice. Probably has too many plates spinning and a family now to focus solely on fighting like he used to.

Like in Rocky 3 when Rocky looses to Clubber Lang. He needs to try and find that eye of the Tiger again... queue montage.

Ush1 wrote:
    Conor likely will never get back to his best form
    Can you explain why you believe this?

• Advertisement

But it's a massive stretch to say he's a few punches away from murdering his family.

Advertisement