Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Doubt he'd be busted up. Conor Stops Cowboy inside a round. He'll wilt under the pressure. He doesn't fight well going backwards.

It won't be a quick turnaround because he doesn't do them anymore. We are at the one fight a year stage of his career. I don't think damage or lack thereof has much to do with it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

This current Cowboy will not wilt and theres not a chance Conor will fight him. How he can suddenly take some of those punches from Al like nothing even landed is anyones guess but its not the same Cowboy from a few fights ago. He's probably been taking his Vitamin C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

People really writing off Cerrone that easily?

I dunno, I think there are a lot of questions about where Conor is at, mentally more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ush1 wrote: »

I dunno, I think there are a lot of questions about where Conor is at, mentally more than anything.

People are silly to write off Cerrone here. The guy is one of the most dangerous fighter sin the world on his night. On one of these nights he could easily beat Conor.

The same way the opposite is true. It's a great match up in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Kirby wrote: »
    Doubt he'd be busted up. Conor Stops Cowboy inside a round. He'll wilt under the pressure. He doesn't fight well going backwards.

It won't be a quick turnaround because he doesn't do them anymore. We are at the one fight a year stage of his career. I don't think damage or lack thereof has much to do with it anymore.

Maybe the Conor that actually trained would win, but we're now in the era of Booze, Coke and Whores and spends more time in Court than in the gym Conor. This Conor will lose badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

I've seen an article about cerrone v Ferguson for 238 so that McGregor out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I've seen an article about cerrone v Ferguson for 238 so that McGregor out of the question

Yeah cause ufc leaking info about a different fight to persuade someone to sign a contract is something they never done before. If its not signed it doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it's not signed, it's not guaranteed. But I would say it doesn't mean anything. More often than not these fights go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭crybaby

Ush1 wrote: »

I think if you see that fight for July or August right now, Conor would probably lose it and that is insane because a few years ago Conor would have dismantled someone like Cowboy even in his current run. I have no idea why Conor doesn't just formally announce his retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

crybaby wrote: »
    I think if you see that fight for July or August right now, Conor would probably lose it and that is insane because a few years ago Conor would have dismantled someone like Cowboy even in his current run. I have no idea why Conor doesn't just formally announce his retirement.

He's been banned since he last fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Pundit arena now claiming it's official

https://www.facebook.com/263463323814792/posts/1335198509974596/

What's left for McGregor? Could it be 2020 before he fights?? I hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Conor is done with fighting altogether. Since his whiskey brand had 1 billion in sales and the UFC going to ESPN+ route with PPV's there's no point in fighting for him anymore and it's hard to blame him. ESPN demanded that every PPV be headlined by a title fight so he won't be main event anymore despite being the draw on any PPV. The UFC are an absolute mess now anyway since the WME sale.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Conor is done with fighting altogether. Since his whiskey brand had 1 billion in sales and the UFC going to ESPN+ route with PPV's there's no point in fighting for him anymore and it's hard to blame him. ESPN demanded that every PPV be headlined by a title fight so he won't be main event anymore despite being the draw on any PPV. The UFC are an absolute mess now anyway since the WME sale.

His whiskey's sales are not 1 billion. Nowhere near it. Also, do you really think ESPN wouldn't want the biggest name in MMA headlining a PPV?

Hard to see who he fights next but I hope he fights soon. Nothing like a McGregor card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

His whiskey's sales are not 1 billion. Nowhere near it. Also, do you really think ESPN wouldn't want the biggest name in MMA headlining a PPV?

Hard to see who he fights next but I hope he fights soon. Nothing like a McGregor card.

It’s sad now that best us fans can hope for is 1 fight per year with 9 months of not knowing.
    We all know Conor is the main attraction but hedoesnot have much longer shelf life. I cannot even imagine the talks going on behind the scenes, obviously Conor is asking for his true (arguable) value and also probably wanting a headline or title/interim fight.
    It’s just sad that us mere mortal fans are missing out now, after the experience of the past few years. I doubt UFC will ever had a bigger star.
    I used to think that Conor could become the biggest of all sports stars, but no way now if he isn’t even competing. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I think that they will go full wwe and someone will drop out of the two bigger fights and you might just see Conor jump in. Hopefully anyway lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So poirier khabib is in the works as well as cowboy ferguson and now nate pettis...where does that leave conor? Max off a loss? A weird silva catchweight? Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Clever move by UFC, take away Conor's options to dwindle his negotiating power. I think Max is going back to 145 and I doubt Conor will go back there even for an instant title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He won't be back... He's still earning via pretending he's still in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think he knows the game is up now. He just can't have the appetite anymore to compete at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The Nal wrote: »
    I think he knows the game is up now. He just can't have the appetite anymore to compete at that level.

Why not? Look at How many multi millionaire boxers keep fighting and not lose desire. He lost to khabib just like everyone else did/will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kavanagh and SBG on rte 1 now on Baz new tv show wingman

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Charges dropped against him today, he can resume his MMA career :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Should probably clarify that it in relation to the phone smashing incident

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I believe that Coach Kav was asked at Wellfest over the weekend about when he is expected back in the ring. End of Summer and if not, end of the year is what he expects.
    I seen a brief clip of this on Insta stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Victim was 'made whole by Mr McGregor' so had to drop the charges. Mooney money money mooooney.....MOOOONNNEEEYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Cowboy VS Ferguson
    Max Vs Frankie
    Nate Vs Petis

Looks like Mcgregor is running out of options.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Him v Justin would be great, can't see it happening tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

And Raging Al has a 6month medical suspension, so unless he gets cleared by a doc that's out too.

Advertisement