Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah Conor should go to Kings or somewhere simular and get head down but won't happen.

Who are the yes men?
    Just the vibe of the camp. As he got bigger his camp started to become full of hangers on. Mate's from Crumlin started to hang around and outnumber actual athletes. Egging him on. Kavanagh went from a coach to a subordinate.

The vibe you got was that Conor was running the show, nobody was calling bull**** to his escalating behaviour for fear of losing their spot on the gravy train. Nobody was really challenging him in the gym. You have guys like Danis who are capable of putting him in difficult situations but they clearly don't out of respect or admiration. So he has a tendency to wilt when things are not going his way. (Zahabi has some insightful in this regard).

Maybe the situation is somewhat improved in this camp but I still don't like the vibe. Too many chiefs, nobody steering the boat. The amount of people milling about in that video. Like I said I don't think it affects the outcome, Cerrone is a gimme fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

did they fly over ur man on the decks to play tunes when training? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

To be fair I didn't spot any of his 'mates' the hangers on in that video that were around for his last few fights.

Everyone I could spot in that video seemed to be there to work:

JK (head coach)
    Roddy (striking coach)
    Sutcliffe and Brady (boxing coaches)
    Sergei Pulski (wrestling coach)
    Lee Hammond, Dillon Danis, John Micheal Sheil and a few other faces that I didn't recognize but who were kitted out and hands wrapped (all sparring partners)

The only non fight related people I could see were the DJ, what looked like a couple of security guards, the lad who runs the MAC Life Vlog and the photographer lad who needs to be surgically removed from Conor's arse at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Whelo79 wrote: »
    To be fair I didn't spot any of his 'mates' the hangers on in that video that were around for his last few fights.

Everyone I could spot in that video seemed to be there to work:

JK (head coach)
    Roddy (striking coach)
    Sutcliffe and Brady (boxing coaches)
    Sergei Pulski (wrestling coach)
    Lee Hammond, Dillon Danis, John Micheal Sheil and a few other faces that I didn't recognize but who were kitted out and hands wrapped (all sparring partners)

The only non fight related people I could see were the DJ, what looked like a couple of security guards, the lad who runs the MAC Life Vlog and the photographer lad who needs to be surgically removed from Conor's arse at this stage!

Honestly, the photographer thing has became a joke. He actually followed him around on Xmas day taking photos. Surely Mcgs Missus is sick of him at this stage, and I mean of the photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sigh. I had somehow managed to completely forget Fogarty existed. Now he's back.

How's his amateur MMA career going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Yeah Conor should go to Kings or somewhere simular and get head down but won't happen.

Why should he? He lost to khabib big deal hed of lost to him no matter who he trained with

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not a Conor fan at all but I reckon 170 is a plan to help him at 155,
    He was a smaller 155er basically came up and wasn't cutting much weight, I reckon after fighting Khabib he realised he need to put on some size and become stronger,
    The reason for 170 is so he can have more time with the extra weight on him meaning he can extend his Vo2 max (cardio) the longer he has to extend that the better his cardio will become with the weight on him,
    His next fight at 155 will be the summer meaing hell have had lots of time at a heavier weight as it take a lot longer for your cardio to catch up to adding muscle mass to your frame, this way he's giving himself that time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I reckon he’s just naturally filling out as he gets older (like us all). I’d say he’d be hard pushed to make 145 these days (not that he has any intention to). Khabib is quite a big 155er although he seems finally to have managed to master the weight cut. I wouldn’t read much into fighting this fight at 170 apart from not wanting to cut weight over Xmas. Also probably gives him an option to fight Masvidal if he wins. Not convinced we’ll see him again if he doesn’t win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Sigh. I had somehow managed to competition forget Fogarty existed. Now he's back.

How's his amateur MMA career going?

Is he even still fighting? I would have thought following Conor around taking photo's of everything was a full time job.

Not a Conor fan at all but I reckon 170 is a plan to help him at 155,
    He was a smaller 155er basically came up and wasn't cutting much weight, I reckon after fighting Khabib he realised he need to put on some size and become stronger,
    The reason for 170 is so he can have more time with the extra weight on him meaning he can extend his Vo2 max (cardio) the longer he has to extend that the better his cardio will become with the weight on him,
    His next fight at 155 will be the summer meaing hell have had lots of time at a heavier weight as it take a lot longer for your cardio to catch up to adding muscle mass to your frame, this way he's giving himself that time frame

His normal weight is around 170, he may have put on a few pounds, but he's not piling on mass like a bodybuilder..
    What weight do you think he is when he's in the cage? Cos it's not 155..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Is he even still fighting? I would have thought following Conor around taking photo's of everything was a full time job.

His normal weight is around 170, he may have put on a few pounds, but he's not piling on mass like a bodybuilder..
    What weight do you think he is when he's in the cage? Cos it's not 155..

No he's not 155 lbs he's slightly heavier than that but if you compare at his current shape to even both times he fought Nate at 170 he is certainly more muscle mass this time around no question

I wonder if the broken left hand 8 months ago will have any lasting effect on him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No he's not 155 lbs he's slightly heavier than that but if you compare at his current shape to even both times he fought Nate at 170 he is certainly more muscle mass this time around no question
    He's in or around 170 in the cage at LW, at FW he was probably 160 ish.
    This fight is just at his normal weight, or at least what his normal weight used to be, I think he's probably mid 170's now.
    If there's any weight to cut, it'll be a tiny amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Comes across really well in the interview with Ariel. Has he giving up the bleeding fake accent these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Comes across really well in the interview with Ariel. Has he giving up the bleeding fake accent these days?

The full interview on Monday should be good.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1215852436440535041?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Butter wouldn't melt... He's good tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Seems very calm and back to his old self in that clip.

Debating the stay up for this next week or just wait until Sunday morning.

The rest of the fight card absolutely stinks of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

ricero wrote: »
    Seems very calm and back to his old self in that clip.

Debating the stay up for this next week or just wait until Sunday morning.

The rest of the fight card absolutely stinks of ****e.

Smell of ****e off yer card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's in or around 170 in the cage at LW, at FW he was probably 160 ish.
    This fight is just at his normal weight, or at least what his normal weight used to be, I think he's probably mid 170's now.
    If there's any weight to cut, it'll be a tiny amount.

There is no weight to cut he is 160 and change at the moment he says in the Helwani video, he won't be anywhere near 170 at the weigh ins

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The full interview on Monday should be good.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1215852436440535041?s=19

“I’d beat him if I had the flu”.

Haha, say what you will, but the stuff that comes out of him is gas. Golden goose for any brand.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    “I’d beat him if I had the flu”.

Haha, say what you will, but the stuff that comes out of him is gas. Golden goose for any brand.

Classic :D you can tell it’s the first thing that came out of his head as opposed to a preplanned line:D

What do we reckon he’ll weigh in at? I’m going 167lbs. He says he’s 160 and a bit but I reckon he’ll be closer to 170lbs than 160lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I have used streams for the all the box office events on Bt so,far but going to give in an buy next weeks PPV.

I have BT via SKY. And I see no option to purchase? Do I have to ring sky to get it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The 160 is great talk for the 155 title run but no way can be compete with jorge, usma, colby at 170 when he is coming in under weight as those boys sure as **** will be 185 plus on the night.

Will be very interesting if he sticks to his guns and makes 155 in case either khabib or Tony pull out. That's a serious commitment but can't see him bothering to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The 160 is great talk for the 155 title run but no way can be compete with jorge, usma, colby at 170 when he is coming in under weight as those boys sure as **** will be 185 plus on the night.

Will be very interesting if he sticks to his guns and makes 155 in case either khabib or Tony pull out. That's a serious commitment but can't see him bothering to do it.

It's possible he's not really committing to 170 but that he just didn't commit to 155 this time but the next one is hopefully at 155 anyway so not much point in driving too hard at 170 yet anyway.

I'd hope his only other fight at 170 is the trilogy fight cos realistically he'd be ended by any of the top WWs

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Any chance of a cameo from wondefullife before the fight?

wonder if hes got similar apathy for this return as many of us. He was so invested and its been so much disappointment over the last few years.

Do worry about him a little - could the mods tell us if he has logged in at least?

Remember he even got shoutouts by Ariel a couple of times for his blogs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

He didn't post in the build-up up to the Khabib fight either iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

I would love an update/insight from Wonderfullife :) I hope he’s doing okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

SteM wrote: »
    He didn't post in the build-up up to the Khabib fight either iirc.

Nope he didn't. I even tweeted ariel asking if he had spoken to him. But with Ariels twitter feed i will have just been lost in the wash im sure

He was active on twitter but that account was closed down as well i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Just after watching the Mac Life video interview with Phil Sutcliffe of Crumlin Boxing Club and I have to wonder - why the hell didn’t McGregor bring in Phil to coach him for the Mayweather fight??!! Not that it would have made him beat Mayweather, but would have made sense if the option was available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Just after watching the Mac Life video interview with Phil Sutcliffe of Crumlin Boxing Club and I have to wonder - why the hell didn’t McGregor bring in Phil to coach him for the Mayweather fight??!! Not that it would have made him beat Mayweather, but would have made sense if the option was available.

Because they 'believed' the stereotypical boxing approach wasn't the way to beat Mayweather. Much better and vastly more experienced boxers than Conor had tried, so they were supposedly going a little more unorthodox in their approach.

Advertisement