Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Conor should of made Cowboy come to 155, cowboy at his natural weight looks good. If this goes past 2 rounds its going to get very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

rob316 wrote: »
    Conor should of made Cowboy come to 155, cowboy at his natural weight looks good. If this goes past 2 rounds its going to get very interesting.
    I think that was his reasoning, he wanted him to be the better version so if he beats him, he can say he fought the best version of Cowboy, less room for people to offer up excuses. Although I'm still expecting plenty of them if he wins.
    Washed up, bum etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know better than to read into a 30second clip but that clip of Cowboy on pads makes him look amateur. Surely they had some better footage than that or maybe that's the footage they want us to see

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

rusty cole wrote: »
    there's a yin and yang to all of us and I think he has a dark side, when fostered in bad company, with all the money, has explosive damage potential. Though I agree with most of what you've said, lets not forget, cocaine is a horrible drug and it sounds like he's a slave to it. SO take that away, take all the dirt bags away and leave the man to bee seen as he is. It could easily be a nasty part of his life curve that he might just come through. Yes he has brands he owes, yes he has shareholders to satisfy, being sued into the record books might just be the wake up call he needs!!

Personally I'd like to see Mcgregor the fighter on Saturday, that's all that Excites me, the rest is marketing, good or bad. If you think the fight is a joke, you must have confidence in him or think very little of cerrone, any fight can turn on a coin.

I enjoyed him as the fighter too. I think its a gimmie more because I think Cerrone is finished. He has taken way too much damage. He can't take it to the body and his chin has seen better days. 3 years ago it would have been interesting.

I do think people can make a mistake and be forgiven, but he went beyond that. The carry on of him coming out of court in relation to his speeding and then driving off at 100km ph. The tracksuite over his head and the hand over his as if he was Martin Cahill. The assault to the man at the bar. the scum bags he seems to idolise, and then the rest of things that have been said. I think the fact he still has Reebok as his main sponsor speaks Volumes. Nike or Addidas would have had him if he wasn't so unpredictable.

I have to say, this guy can make a video, make the hairs on your arms stand up in the last two mins too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ju28X3rRSM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I might not be in for the rest of the week, as this thread will descend into madness. But just putting it out there that I think Cowboy wins by submission

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

rob316 wrote: »
    Conor should of made Cowboy come to 155......

Looks like this is covered in the helwani interview coming up later today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I enjoyed him as the fighter too. I think its a gimmie more because I think Cerrone is finished. He has taken way too much damage. He can't take it to the body and his chin has seen better days. 3 years ago it would have been interesting.

I do think people can make a mistake and be forgiven, but he went beyond that. The carry on of him coming out of court in relation to his speeding and then driving off at 100km ph. The tracksuite over his head and the hand over his as if he was Martin Cahill. The assault to the man at the bar. the scum bags he seems to idolise, and then the rest of things that have been said. I think the fact he still has Reebok as his main sponsor speaks Volumes. Nike or Addidas would have had him if he wasn't so unpredictable.

No one other than Reebok will sponsor him as all fight week, the time he will be most visible, he will be wearing Reebok regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

At start I fell into the gimme fight for conor buzz that was going round. Now I'm not so sure cowboy has fought the toughest ufc has to offer for years. A win here for cowboy is huge so the best Cerrone we seen in long time will show up. Conor last win was in 2016. It'll be interesting hight esp if he wins.. Where do he go then the likes of khabib masdival nd usman being mentioned not not hood position to be in for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I think I watched 5 shows since Ariel moved from sbnation. I'm guessing this will be on youtube later for a watch back?

• Advertisement

No one other than Reebok will sponsor him as all fight week, the time he will be most visible, he will be wearing Reebok regardless.

True, I do forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Amazingly they used the footage of punching the old guy in this official promo (1:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzEqzhTUT34

The way they've actually used it is quite appropriate if you watch the full episode.

Yeah not a bad episode, nothing too personal with Conor other than a few quotes. Guess we will see what he had to say to Ariel later.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

I remember the time of the bus incident, Dana gave an interview within an hour of it happening and condemned everything to happen. He even said he wasn't sure what drugs he was on, and said he didn't want anything to do with him blah blah blah. I couldn't believe they used all of the footage from that incident to sell the Khabib fight.

Now we have a video of a man sitting at a bar getting punched and the UFC are using this as promotional material? WTF?

you can actually see in every interview he's done recently he's doing his best to fix his image. I'd say his people are pleading with him to stop with all the BS, as the brand is being destroyed by him. I think Irish people know what he is now, it's just Knackers that support him. The Americans don't see what we can see in him. We can see through the image he's trying to promote now. Think of the Video's of him with those 2 scumbags in the strip club and they are all off their faces. No amount of pictures of him and the kids in matching PJs can pull the wool over my eyes. If he didn't make it in the UFC, he'd be a barman somewhere. Any clown that buys his runners or Proper 12 needs their head examined. This fight is a joke. It's a gimmie to see where he is.

That's exactly right.

And I'll add that his behaviour has undoubtedly impacted sales of both his whiskey and his clothing line. He might be making some money out of the booze but that clothing line couldn't possibly be making good money. Plenty of seats still on sale for this upcoming fight despite what you heard from Dana White.

He should (and probably is) be putting the lion's share of his fighting money into ventures that don't require his mug to generate a returrn. I'm sure he's had good advice on this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

It really feels like fight week now. Beyond the Octagon, Countdown, the Ariel interview later and Embedded to start too. The good times are back :D

Thelonious wrote: »
    That's exactly right.

And I'll add that his behaviour has undoubtedly impacted sales of both his whiskey and his clothing line. He might be making some money out of the booze but that clothing line couldn't possibly be making good money. Plenty of seats still on sale for this upcoming fight despite what you heard from Dana White.

He should (and probably is) be putting the lion's share of his fighting money into ventures that don't require his mug to generate a returrn. I'm sure he's had good advice on this anyway.

Yeah, the whiskey certainly makes money on its initial launch, but I'd say sales slow due the the Quality being fairly low and the price being middle of the road standard. Whiskey drinkers wouldn't buy it and young lads thinking they are ballers won't buy expensive Whiskey forever. The Americans who are buying it and sending photos to him on Twitter is his target market. As for the clothing line, I've yet to see one person wear that muck. Sure his taste in clothing is horrendous. I seen one time a video of him telling his sister what to wear with certain types of suits, this from a one time unemployable failed apprentice Plumber? I mean, the lad has balls of steel thinking anyone should listen to him regarding Suits. David August needs to get an advisor himself, one on who to get into business with and the other to tell him to stop dying his hair jet black.

Did anyone see when CMcG put the link to the Reebok promotional video for the runners, John Kavangh replied to it "Size 9 please champ". God he's cringe level 9000 these days. He must really need this payday from Conor.

He's defnitely making money elsewhere, he built houses and sold them to the council. so there is someone sensibile in the background advising him.

As for the fight, I still can't see it go past 2 rounds. I'd expect Cerrone to retire afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think that was his reasoning, he wanted him to be the better version so if he beats him, he can say he fought the best version of Cowboy, less room for people to offer up excuses. Although I'm still expecting plenty of them if he wins.
    Washed up, bum etc.

Ah here Tazz, he's expected to beat cowboy. What excuses do people need? For what?

Yeah, the whiskey certainly makes money on its initial launch, but I'd say sales slow due the the Quality being fairly low and the price being middle of the road standard. Whiskey drinkers wouldn't buy it and young lads thinking they are ballers won't buy expensive Whiskey forever. The Americans who are buying it and sending photos to him on Twitter is his target market. As for the clothing line, I've yet to see one person wear that muck. Sure his taste in clothing is horrendous. I seen one time a video of him telling his sister what to wear with certain types of suits, this from a one time unemployable failed apprentice Plumber? I mean, the lad has balls of steel thinking anyone should listen to him regarding Suits. David August needs to get an advisor himself, one on who to get into business with and the other to tell him to stop dying his hair jet black.

Did anyone see when CMcG put the link to the Reebok promotional video for the runners, John Kavangh replied to it "Size 9 please champ". God he's cringe level 9000 these days. He must really need this payday from Conor.

He's defnitely making money elsewhere, he built houses and sold them to the council. so there is someone sensibile in the background advising him.

As for the fight, I still can't see it go past 2 rounds. I'd expect Cerrone to retire afterwards too.

I'm not sure what being an unemployable plumber has to do with him having a knack for clothing or not. Kanye west seems to be listened to a lot and he's a one time "can I get you a size 8 in the blue??" shop assistant.

He dresses for certain occasions and to match his bravado remember, I mean do you see him rocking up in el chapo shirts at a wedding?? or just out shopping, people like him are nearly always in character so to speak. that green track suit coming out of court was the epitome of scum but he's hit and miss when clothes are concerned from what I've seen. I've seen him interviewed a few times and thought, that gear looks cool.

you're right about the whiskey, I'd say it's proper pi$$… and only fit for the dirt that drink IT and their ideology that goes with it.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It really feels like fight week now. Beyond the Octagon, Countdown, the Ariel interview later and Embedded to start too. The good times are back :D

And chaos is sure to follow one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    And chaos is sure to follow one way or the other.

If he wins this expect him to fight asap. Within a few months. Medical suspension aside.

If he loses he'll retire. As he should. Losing to the ultimate journeyman.

But hes as serious and prepared for this as hes ever been.

Ah here Tazz, he's expected to beat cowboy. What excuses do people need? For what?
    Usual:
    He's washed up
    He doesn't look good at 155 (170 does actually suit him more)
    He's on his way out etc.

I know he's expected to beat Cerrone, but this is MMA, anything can happen.
    No matter what happens, someone, somewhere, will have an excuse ready to go, same any time he wins really.

All that aside, I see him doing it inside 2 rounds. Cerrone is known to buckle in big pressure fights, such as this one.

I made a bet last week for minute 4 in round 2, McGregor gets rocked by a head kick skipping and rolling out... then he ls swarmed by a still fresh Cerrone and the ref jumps in...stoppage!!!

looking at his videos...I'm now ambivalent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

rusty cole wrote: »
    I made a bet last week for minute 4 in round 2, McGregor gets rocked by a head kick skipping and rolling out... then he ls swarmed by a still fresh Cerrone and the ref jumps in...stoppage!!!

looking at his videos...I'm now ambivalent :D

That's a very specific bet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

xtal191 wrote: »

I'd love to see Forrest do more of this.

Still Ill wrote: »
    That's a very specific bet

I know, 4th minute 2nd round will do but that's how I see it playing out if cerrone has a chance. we'll see anyway, that's the beauty and the joy of it.
    Even if he wins, I don't see lighting striking twice.

xtal191 wrote: »

That's a great little video, really interesting to see all those actions in such slow motion and analysed like that. Conor's skill set on the ground is obviously stronger than people give him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Usual:
    He's washed up
    He doesn't look good at 155 (170 does actually suit him more)
    He's on his way out etc.

I know he's expected to beat Cerrone, but this is MMA, anything can happen.
    No matter what happens, someone, somewhere, will have an excuse ready to go, same any time he wins really.

All that aside, I see him doing it inside 2 rounds. Cerrone is known to buckle in big pressure fights, such as this one.

Cerrone's 170 career isn't quite what it's made out to be. He had some good wins and climbed the rankings, but he got spanked any time he tried to mix it with the very best in the division.

Too much is being made of this being at 170. This isn't quite the two Diaz fights where it was effectively two lightweights agreeing not to cut any weight but the idea or implication (in general, not from you) that Cerrone is some sort of 170 monster is nonsense. His last four fights have been back at 155 don't forget.

Any additional kudos McGregor gets for beating him at 170 should be, in my opinion, minimal at best.

Cerrone's 170 career isn't quite what it's made out to be. He had some good wins and climbed the rankings, but he got spanked any time he tried to mix it with the very best in the division.

Too much is being made of this being at 170. This isn't quite the two Diaz fights where it was effectively two lightweights agreeing not to cut any weight but the idea or implication (in general, not from you) that Cerrone is some sort of 170 monster is nonsense. His last four fights have been back at 170 don't forget.

Any additional kudos McGregor gets for beating him at 170 should be, in my opinion, minimal at best.
    Oh I agree with you, Cerrone is a 155'er, I just think 170 suits him physically, then again I'm not a fan of weight-cutting.

I keep telling people this isn't a welterweight fight (not aimed at you), it's just two lightweights that haven't cut weight, or at least very little weight. Any actual welterweight up near the top of the rankings would murder the two of them.

I don't see Cerrone being an absolute pushover like a lot of people seem to be thinking, but he shouldn't give McGregor too much trouble, unless it hits the later rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I remember the time of the bus incident, Dana gave an interview within an hour of it happening and condemned everything to happen. He even said he wasn't sure what drugs he was on, and said he didn't want anything to do with him blah blah blah. I couldn't believe they used all of the footage from that incident to sell the Khabib fight.

Now we have a video of a man sitting at a bar getting punched and the UFC are using this as promotional material? WTF?

you can actually see in every interview he's done recently he's doing his best to fix his image. I'd say his people are pleading with him to stop with all the BS, as the brand is being destroyed by him. I think Irish people know what he is now, it's just Knackers that support him. The Americans don't see what we can see in him. We can see through the image he's trying to promote now. Think of the Video's of him with those 2 scumbags in the strip club and they are all off their faces. No amount of pictures of him and the kids in matching PJs can pull the wool over my eyes. If he didn't make it in the UFC, he'd be a barman somewhere. Any clown that buys his runners or Proper 12 needs their head examined. This fight is a joke. It's a gimmie to see where he is.

if it was me in the video getting boxed i'd sue again ...has to be libelous

Advertisement