Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

if it was me in the video getting boxed i'd sue again ...has to be libelous

I'm not sure what basis you'd sue on but it wouldn't be libel anyway.

But if he didn't sue TMZ when they released it, he probably won't be suing the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

But if he didn't sue TMZ when they released it, he probably won't be suing the UFC.

It would actually the Marble Arch that would be sued for allowing it to be released. That's a GDPR minefield. And tbh it sounds like the chap just wants to be left alone.

YEP you'd be sick of people shoving that in your face laughing, after a while down the local. He would just want it to go away, the 1000 Euro was just enforced by the state like a litter fine, the poor man didn't want a penny going by his interviews.

still, it wont last at all, hopefully the worst of it has passed in terms of idiots streaming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

if it was me in the video getting boxed i'd sue again ...has to be libelous

It probably a different use with UFC than TMZ. TMZ can probably claim it to be news.

UFC are using it in a commercial way, so I'd say the guy would be entitled to a usage fee for using his image. He's be silly not to follow it up though. Easy money.

Effects wrote: »
    It probably a different use with UFC than TMZ. TMZ can probably claim it to be news.

UFC are using it in a commercial way, so I'd say the guy would be entitled to a usage fee for using his image. He's be silly not to follow it up though. Easy money.

I'd say a few solicitors will be offering their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Helwani show if anyone is interested, Cruz is on at the moment just talking about the fight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWDQIJctak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

hots wrote: »
    I'd love to see Forrest do more of this.

If he was a semi regular with Hardy on his breakdowns, it'd be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus fair play to Ariel asking him tough questions about the rumoured love child and "the allegations"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

80 mill wtf?? no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Cerrone looking big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ye sure this can be bought and watched online on bt box Office in ireland with no subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A fight vs Pacquaio seems like an awful waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For anyone that missed it:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

interesting interview with ariel.
    enjoyed listening to it and taking it face value, he seems to have changed or turned a corner or returned to his old self from an interview perspective.

But I seem to remember him saying alot of things like "my mind is bulletproof" before (also "stay ready so I don't have to get ready").
    So maybe his mind was not as bulletproof as he thought, or as I was led to believe.

Maybe humans in general are all fallable and the bigger you are the bigger the fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

He seems to be doing a lot of praying these days. Spiritual Conor would definitely beat full camp Mendes. Good interview, genuinely seems to be in a lot better headspace anyway. Mad that he was drinking and god knows what else the week of the Khabib fight! Flying over to Vegas Friday morning. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    Maybe humans in general are all fallable and the bigger you are the bigger the fall.

Fallible? Yes...I see what you mean :pac: (only joking by the way!)

Starting to look forward to this fight, but I am slightly unsure how I want it to go.

I lost a lot of respect for McGregor after his antics in recent years, but he is sure exciting to watch fight. If he does get the win, it will be interesting to see if he will have the drive and desire to push on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

80m? Not a hope he's full of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

rob316 wrote: »
    80m? Not a hope he's full of it

Yeah in court documents with the ?hunt? case or may have been anti-trust case.

But even Mendes and Aldo fight the estimated pay days weren't near what we thought. Like 3-4 mill when estimates with PPV where much higher

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

Not his biggest fan by all accounts, but he came across very well in that interview with Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'If Conor was to fight the guy who beat Eddie Alvarez this Conor would win easily"

That's some statement to live up to given one of the best UFC performances of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yeah in court documents with the ?hunt? case or may have been anti-trust case.

But even Mendes and Aldo fight the estimated pay days weren't near what we thought. Like 3-4 mill when estimates with PPV where much higher

If it does 2m in ppv buys that's about $120m. It probably won't do close to that though, no way he sees $80m from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

His camp has being turned into camp full of yes men who do wotever McGregor wans now. If u believe all the hype hes going run through the welterweight division with ease.
    They talked same **** before Mayweather and khabid fights. Dont buy into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Great interview and I feel like he's going to go on a similar run to what we saw him do before.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

rob316 wrote: »
    If it does 2m in ppv buys that's about $120m. It probably won't do close to that though, no way he sees $80m from it.

Yeah the fights has grossed huge amounts. UFC vastly underpay him. He's often only getting paid what the UFC make from ticket sales when the worldwide TV income dwarfs it.

Even if it does half what they clear is incredible. Gate @10m. US PPV @70m - though this is split between the UFC, broadcaster, sales tax etc. Sponsors will clear 7 figures overall I'd say. PPV revenues from other regions will bring in 8 figures as well.

If it was McGregor promoting the show himself then he could clear $80m maybe. But he isn't and the UFC are gonna take a huge chunk.

Its been argued about the lower level fighters being underpaid but its Conor and the top end fighters that make people buy PPVs and get those tv execs to sign deals who are underpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never thought Danis was of much use (in the corner) anyway. He's clearly an exceptional BJJ player but his cageside advice is sub par.
    What’s that based on out of curiosity?
    I remember transcripts of previous fights. But I don’t ever remember ever reading Danis’s advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

good interview with no bs , if he backs it up sat night then we could have a interesting year ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

I think there was plenty of bs in interview aswel as some honest statements.
    But believing he was picking apart flyod in there fight before flyod changed up style and that he 100% would win rematch. He is full of his own hype and everyone being yes men around him dont help.
    Before first bout he struggled to see Mayweather last a round cus he was too small nd cudnt take a punch.
    I tink he too over confident in heading into cowboy fight and he will get caught either by headkick or submission.
    He could prove me totally wrong but we see.

Advertisement