Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

• 27-03-2019 11:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Inspired by another thread here, who do you think would make the list?

I'd have Roy Keane at the top, followed by Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll, who else would make the top 5?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

McGregor is the only Irish sports star where virtually every foreign person I know knows of him.

Next up would be Rory McIlroy.

I wouldn't consider anyone else "world famous"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

George Best was fairly well known.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No egg chaser can be considered the most famous - McGregor shockingly probably is but he is an entertainer as far as most are concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Conor McGregor without a doubt - he's our only ever real global sport superstar.

You may not like it or swear blind it should be Eamon Coughlan or Johnny Giles, but you're wrong - it's Conor, prick and all that he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Three most famous by a long distance are
    (i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

No-one else comes close to these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

George Best was fairly well known.

No convinced. Big deal in the British Isles, never played in the world cup. Would an average Brazilian know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Inspired by another thread here, who do you think would make the list?

I'd have Roy Keane at the top, followed by Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll, who else would make the top 5?

Saw the other thread - cringe inducing. IMO that's a list of potential top sports stars from Ireland. None are as famous or recognisable worldwide as McGregor at this, or any, moment in time, unfortunately. That said, I'd have Keane and O'Driscoll ahead of him in any 'best sportsperson' poll. Mind's not made up on Rory yet!

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No convinced. Big deal in the British Isles, never played in the world cup. Would an average Brazilian know him?

Sorry Tom, I've never asked a Brazilian if they knew George Best.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Anyone who doesn't say McGregor is wrong. He is the only one known worldwide and is probably followed in 2nd place by McIlroy.

We have plenty of stars that are relatively well known around the UK and maybe Europe but those 2 are on a different level completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Arkle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

UFC is popular amongst two main elements - criminals, and relatively young men with anger issues. There’s billions of people on this planet who have never heard of it, never watched one of those boring cage fights, or ever had the displeasure of seeing that gurning moron, McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's 2 brazillians work here with me - out of interest I've just asked them both do they know who George Best is, not a clue! Neither knew of McIlroy and both new McGregor.

Now, I could use a bigger sample size (5 or 6 maybe:D)

But, statistics don't lie. In a recent poll 0% of Brazilians had heard of Best or McIlroy, whereas 100% had heard of McGregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Yeah it's McGregor and it's not even close as to who's the most famous. One of the highest earning in the world with a huge following on social media; (almost 31m followers on instagram) he puts everyone else in the shade

UFC is popular amongst two main elements - criminals, and relatively young men with anger issues. There’s billions of people on this planet who have never heard of it, never watched one of those boring cage fights, or ever had the displeasure of seeing that gurning moron, McGregor.

Sadly, I don't fit into your pathetic criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Undoubtedly McGregor, the toerag.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

Its McGregor and it probably isn’t even close. I wish it wasn’t the case but it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

(i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

Yeah, I think you've nailed it with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sadly, I don't fit into your pathetic criteria.

Neckbeard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Katie Taylor

Neckbeard?

Again, nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would say Roy Keane. And probably McIlroy. Both Golf and soccer are huge internationally.

The only reason MMA and McGregor gets such press coverage here is because he is Irish. He doesn’t get that in other countries including the US.

I doubt many people in Europe or the US who aren’t into MMA would have heard of him. And as for Asia, soccer is much more popular then MMA so my guess would be Keane due to Manchester United.

Its also hard to judge as Mcgregor is famous now so people are more likely to have heard of him. Its difficult to judge against people from a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

(i) McGregor
    (ii) McIlroy
    (iii) Eoin Morgan.

No way a cricket player is the third most known Irish celebrity, especially one that doesn't play for Ireland. Zimbabwe are in the top 10 of cricket, that's worse than rugby for global audience! Think it's only popular in pockets of England and its former colonies really (bar India where it is legitimately big).

Sheamus in the WWE would be more well known.

I would say Roy Keane. And probably McIlroy. Both Golf and soccer are huge internationally.

The only reason MMA and McGregor gets such press coverage here is because he is Irish. He doesn’t get that in other countries including the US.

I doubt many people in Europe or the US who aren’t into MMA would have heard of him. And as for Asia, soccer is much more popular then MMA so my guess would be Keane due to Manchester United.

You are wrong. Roy Keane hasn't been relevant in almost 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You are wrong. Roy Keane hasn't been relevant in almost 15 years.

Of course he isn't. He doesn't play anymore. So is the question sports stars at this moment or ever? He was more famous 15 years ago then Mcgregor is now?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

(iii) Eoin Morgan..

Who's he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It should be Katie Taylor

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

McGregor probably has the most global reach alright. Though he's probably infamous as much as he is famous now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Hands up who had to google Eoin Morgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think on an online forum like this someone like McGregor would always top the poll but I don’t believe the result would be the same if you took the poll offline.

McGregor’s fanbase would be more likely to be online all day. The type who play computer games, when not watching xxx-rated material, in dark rooms all day and of questionable hygiene standards.

I’m sure this opinion will lead to an angry response from the cage fighter’s fanatics but what else would you expect?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

McGregor was involved in the 2nd biggest boxing PPV of all time, and holds 4 of the top 5 MMA PPV records. He's bigger and more famous in the US than in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fatknacker wrote: »
    It should be Katie Taylor

Yep or Sonia O'Sullivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

beertons wrote: »
    Who's he?

The late Dermot’s brother

Just recently McGregor has:

Lead the Chicago paddys day parade
    Appeared on Jimmy Fallon
    Gave pre game speech in the locker room of the Boston bruins
    Did similar with the dallas cowboys
    Was a guest of Putin at the World Cup in Russia
    Been parodied on SNL

When another Irish sports person gets that kind of attention then they can claim to be as famous as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s MacGregor.

People might not like it and that’s fine but MacGregor is absolutely huge.

R.F. wrote: »
    Hands up who had to google Eoin Morgan

I didn't bother me arse but I'd say Roy Keane's dog was more famous.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep or Sonia O'Sullivan

Sonia O'Sullivan would barely be known in Ireland anymore, let alone worldwide.

Just recently McGregor has:

Lead the Chicago paddys day parade
    Appeared on Jimmy Fallon
    Gave pre game speech in the locker room of the Boston bruins
    Did similar with the dallas cowboys
    Was a guest of Putin at the World Cup in Russia
    Been parodied on SNL

When another Irish sports person gets that kind of attention then they can claim to be as famous as him.

He's also been on Conan a number of times. That shows the level of fame he is at. The only other Irish people ever on those shows would be the handful of super famous Irish actors or Bono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

beertons wrote: »
    Who's he?

Cricket's version of Declan Rice.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep or Sonia O'Sullivan

Jack Doyle was from Cobh too and known all over the world back in the day.

He's also been on Conan a number of times. That shows the level of fame he is at. The only other Irish people ever on those shows would be the handful of super famous Irish actors or Bono.

But people say he's not famous, just imagine Roy Keane being asked to be on Conan and Fallon.

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    The late Dermot’s brother

Maybe it's his son? Heard he's really good at Texas Holdem. :)

I think on an online forum like this someone like McGregor would always top the poll but I don’t believe the result would be the same if you took the poll offline.

McGregor’s fanbase would be more likely to be online all day. The type who play computer games, when not watching xxx-rated material, in dark rooms all day and of questionable hygiene standards.

I’m sure this opinion will lead to an angry response from the cage fighter’s fanatics but what else would you expect?

I think this gentleman is looking for a reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I'd say it's definitely McIlroy and probably McGregor because of all the controversies. Followed by Roy/Robbie Keane, Padraig Harrington.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

But people say he's not famous, just imagine Roy Keane being asked to be on Conan and Fallon.

Or Katie Taylor.

Many people just don't want to accept that he's by far Ireland's biggest superstar alive right now. His Tweet yesterday got over 300k likes, nobody even comes close to that.

Jack Doyle was from Cobh too and known all over the world back in the day.
    Yep, as were Delaney, Roche, Kelly and Jonah Barrington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I have and they haven't. We figured it was because he played for Northern Ireland internationally and I don't think they made any World Cups when he was playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

R.F. wrote: »
    I think this gentleman is looking for a reaction

Not at all, although having a different view of this character does seem unacceptable to lads on here.

I just don’t think the opinions expressed in here would accurately represent society at large.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Talk shows have a merry go round of guests. Let's see how many will be looking for him in say, two years. Bono, whether you like it or not will get on till he meets his maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No way a cricket player is the third most known Irish celebrity, especially one that doesn't play for Ireland. Zimbabwe are in the top 10 of cricket, that's worse than rugby for global audience! Think it's only popular in pockets of England and its former colonies really (bar India where it is legitimately big).

Sheamus in the WWE would be more well known.

Becky Lynch at the moment :D

You have to factor in Cricket is the most popular sport in India and the Asia sub continent, so a lot more people will know Eoin Morgan since he has played in the Indian Cricket Super League

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Your knowledge of demography seems a bit lacking here.

You know England and those "former colonies" make up about a third of the World population? Cricket is the biggest sport in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, with are about 1.8 billion people. That's before you even start looking at South Africa, Australia and England itself.

That's a far bigger support base than rugby for global audience...

• Advertisement
Advertisement