Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Possible.

If the question is about fame in the world, then Eoin Morgan is up there (probably behind McGregor and McIlroy though). The fact that he isn't well known at home is just one of those things.

Wrestling is not a sport, it's a performance that requires physical skill - like the circus. I can't believe people are arguing about this.

McIlroy might have described himself as British but most people around the world (including in Britain) would be more likely to say he is Irish. Also let's not forget that lots of people in the north think of themselves as Irish and British, it's not one or the other.

He describes himself as Northern Irish like a lot of that post troubles generation.

I don't mind any northerner identifying with the UK but they can't say that they're British because that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Boop1

Absolutely Eoin Morgan. No one knows who he is in Ireland. But a billion people in India certainly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Boop1 wrote: »
    Absolutely Eoin Morgan. No one knows who he is in Ireland. But a billion people in India certainly do.
    Can't really argue with it numbers wise.
    Ironically I knew who Morgan was about a decade ago (I am not Indian) but because of the hype around the Cricket world cup 2007. Was there a fella called Joyce then yer man morgan came afterwards.
    I still think cricket is a terrible sport to watch like Badminton/Cycling. It is more of a participation sport rather than a spectator one I think.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Would Eddie Irivine count as Irish or is he still viewed as British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As Irish as Rory McIlroy.

So, British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I never heard of Eoin Morgan in my life before seeing the name in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

eagle eye wrote: »

That’s kind of why he’s been talked about. Anyone that knows a little about cricket likely knows who he is, that’s a small number in Ireland but a massive number world wide. If the measure of fame is how many people regardless of where they are know you then he’s well up there.

Would you have been watching sport around 2007?
    That is when the Irish media started getting on the cricket bandwagon.
    If not it would have passed you bye easy enough, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Would Eddie Irvine count as Irish or is he still viewed as British?

He's from Newtownards in Co. Down, which - as can clearly be seen from aerial imagery - is in Ireland.

He's from Newtownards in Co. Down, which - as can clearly be seen from aerial imagery - is in Ireland.

If you're a fantasist.

Go up to Newtownards and spend a day telling people they're Irish. See how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Man Utd according to surveys a number of years ago have 659 Million fans worldwide. Google it, I’m not here to argue to merits or otherwise of the survey results.

Their most legendary and famous player is arguably George Best. Any even semi interested Man U fan knows of him.

He also is renowned worldwide as one of the best ever footballers. Up there with Pele, Diego and Messi.

He also has an international airport named after him.

McG doesn’t come close and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Anyone who doesn't say McGregor is wrong. He is the only one known worldwide and is probably followed in 2nd place by McIlroy.

We have plenty of stars that are relatively well known around the UK and maybe Europe but those 2 are on a different level completely.

Absolutely, our big 'stars' would be well known in their genre .......McGregor transcended his sport to become a well known figure to those who don't even follow his sport

Well according to the net he went to 'Regent House Grammar School' which means he believes in the imaginary line drawn on that imagery.

Even though he did not want to talk about which colour flag he prefers. :rolleyes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/irvine-refuses-to-make-issue-of-flag-choice-1.71784

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd image Morgan has a big profile, especially in the 'Indian Subcontinent', eg India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. Due to the population in these countries, and cricket's popularity there, I'd say he's very well known worldwide as the England test captain.

Man Utd according to surveys a number of years ago have 659 Million fans worldwide. Google it, I’m not here to argue to merits or otherwise of the survey results.

Their most legendary and famous player is arguably George Best. Any even semi interested Man U fan knows of him.

He also is renowned worldwide as one of the best ever footballers. Up there with Pele, Diego and Messi.

He also has an international airport named after him.

McG doesn’t come close and never will.

Best was famous in football long before social media. The likes of Mc Gregor is living in a different world to Best. Lots of those man u fans won’t know much about it before even Ferguson was around let alone going back to Bests era. Social media pushes fame far beyond anything that ever really existed in the past. Your last line is just your feelings towards Mc Gregor, you can certainly argue Best was a better sportsman or that he was a better person and he was certainly a huge star of his era in football but it’s the era that limits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No convinced. Big deal in the British Isles, never played in the world cup. Would an average Brazilian know him?

Sorry Tom, I've never asked a Brazilian if they knew George Best.

I've met plenty of Argentinians and they dont know Best, much to my surprise at the time.

Many dont know Keane either or are a bit confused by Robbie and Roy.

It has to be McGregor IMO

salmocab wrote: »
    Best was famous in football long before social media. The likes of Mc Gregor is living in a different world to Best. Lots of those man u fans won’t know much about it before even Ferguson was around let alone going back to Bests era. Social media pushes fame far beyond anything that ever really existed in the past. Your last line is just your feelings towards Mc Gregor, you can certainly argue Best was a better sportsman or that he was a better person and he was certainly a huge star of his era in football but it’s the era that limits him.

it’s actually more that Best is known among about 5 + generations of fans worldwide. Literally 9-90 year olds

salmocab wrote: »

Agreed, lot of these man united fans 'consumers' would young Asians/Americans/Africans etc who would not have a clue about the history of man united.

it’s actually more that Best is known among about 5 + generations of fans worldwide. Literally 9-90 year olds

He very likely isn’t. Most of those fans are reasonably new with the spread of the premier league to new markets in the last 20 years. He was long gone before that era and for many would be at best a name, this isn’t a slight on Best or even a cheer for Mc Gregor it’s just the current world where my 11 year old nephew and my 78 year old father both know who Mc Gregor is despite probably never having watched an mma fight.

Agreed, lot of these man united fans 'consumers' would young Asians/Americans/Africans etc who would not have a clue about the history of man united.

Often those guys -Chinese, Malaysian fans show almost rain man expertise on stats going back to when the club was Newton Heath (google it!) and they can reel off facts and figures of goals scored, appearances etc. They almost compete with each other to show who has the most knowledge of the club and its history.

I hate to say it but they would put the local salford lads to shame in terms of knowledge and of course the outlay required to get from Asia to Manchester to watch Utd

Fair play when it’s due.

• Advertisement

I've never watched cricket, it's among the few sports that doesn't interest me.
    I watch rugby, northern and southern hemisphere, likewise with rugby league, golf, motor racing from all over the globe, boxing, mma, soccer, basketball, baseball and my personal favourite American football both NFL and college.

I can name a couple of cricket players Shane Warne, Brian Lara, Ian Botham and Geoffrey Boycott. Theres a couple more but they wouldn't be as famous to me as those ones.

Often those guys -Chinese, Malaysian fans show almost rain man expertise on stats going back to when the club was Newton Heath (google it!) and they can reel off facts and figures of goals scored, appearances etc. They almost compete with each other to show who has the most knowledge of the club and its history.

Fair play to them.

Ok didn't think of that angle. I know the Newton Heath thing because Man United fans protested wearing those colours on the telly. I was telling people they were the Kerry supporters club.
    Is George Best Irish though? His father was a member of the orange order etc.
    Very clear he is more British than Irish.
    Republic of Ireland can hardly claim him played for NI just because he played for Cork City would be a bit tenuous. At least Rory Mcllroy played golf with an all island organisation.

Ok didn't think of that angle. I know the Newton Heath thing because Man United fans protested wearing those colours on the telly. I was telling people they were the Kerry supporters club.
    Republic of Ireland can hardly claim him played for NI just because he played for Cork City would be a bit tenuous. At least Rory Mcllroy played golf with an all island organisation.

This is all off topic but I will reply to your questions. I consider him Irish as he was born on this island. George spent lot of time in Dublin/ROI over the years.

He was non political and non religious, had very little/no interest in such issues. Don’t think he ever made a public comment on the troubles. Not his bag.

However He did put on the record he would have loved to have played for an all island international team. He made the call for such a team a number of times over the years. Link below.

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/george-best-was-always-calling-for-an-allireland-team-288633

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I dont think he was very political but didnt Best support the idea of a united Irish football team?

Also, youre born in Northern Ireland - youre Irish. You may also identify as British but you are Irish :)

I dont think he was very political but didnt Best support the idea of a united Irish football team?

He did. See my post above.

Also, youre born in Northern Ireland - youre Irish. You may also identify as British but you are Irish :)

I despair at our education system.

This is all off topic but I will reply to your questions. I consider him Irish as he was born on this island. George spent lot of time in Dublin/ROI over the years.

He was non political and non religious, had no interest in such issues.

However He did put on the record he would have loved to have played for an all island international team. He made the call for such a team a number of times over the years. Link below.

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/george-best-was-always-calling-for-an-allireland-team-288633

I suppose it depends what you call 'Irish'. I certainly don't consider him Irish.
    It is like trying to claim Alex Higgins/Dennis Taylor.
    Both are Northern Irish. If the OP said in the island of Ireland everyone would be in the mix.
    But the word 'Ireland' refers to the ROI to me as that is how Irish people use it in general.
    If I was from NI I would be annoyed at people in the ROI trying to claim thier sports stars.

All off topic but even the most ardent dyed in the wool loyalist from the ormeau is Irish. Born on this island=Irish.

One thing I will say in McGs credit. He always says how proud he is to be Irish and he waves around the flag and sings rebel songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

If McGregor is No 1 (which he isn’t), who’s No 2? WWE’s Sheamus?!

It’s probably Roy Keane.

In terms of Ireland’s greatest, probably Harrington, Delaney (not John), or O’Driscoll, and McIlroy if people from Northern Ireland are included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If you're a fantasist.

Go up to Newtownards and spend a day telling people they're Irish. See how you get on.

Go to West Belfast and spend a day telling people they're British. See how you get on.

All off topic but even the most ardent dyed in the wool loyalist from the ormeagh is Irish. Born on this island=Irish.

That is putting your own subjective view on it.Born on Island does not mean Irish to them at all.
    They are British citizens who are are part of the union with thier 'wee country'.
    They consider NI another country which is British.
    They also rarely say Irishmen - but Ulster men - Ulster fry etc.
    A person from the Republic claiming George Best is like claiming your neighbours wife.

Eoin Morgan/Conor McGregor are both more famous than Best at the moment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I'm aware that it is big in India, as I've clearly said on this very thread 2 times already. Can say it a third time, cricket is big in India. It's also got a population bigger than the whole Western World.

But Eoin Morgan isn't even known by most Irish people. So being big in India isn't really worth that much imo. Like cricket is only the 4th most popular sport in England (according to the first page that popped up when I just Googled it there). None of that translates into "Ireland's most famous sports star".

I mean Johnny Logan was/is massive in Germany. :D

The question is obviously about world fame, otherwise it would be DJ Carey or whoever is a big GAA star these days.

I think Eoin Morgan is our biggest known athlete actually. And yes I did know of him before this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've met plenty of Argentinians and they dont know Best, much to my surprise at the time.

Many dont know Keane either or are a bit confused by Robbie and Roy.

It has to be McGregor IMO

McGregor is a VERY rude young man. He’d be better off if people didn’t know who he was, he is impressing NOBODY with his antics, rude behavior and only serving to bring shame on his family. A filthy mouth too, nothing but gutter talk. A disgrace ! :eek:

Considering the huge global audience for cricket, I would agree Morgan is probably the most famous *current* Irish sportsman. Possibly mcilroy in second place. Sexton 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Considering the huge global audience for cricket, I would agree Morgan is probably the most famous *current* Irish sportsman. Possibly mcilroy in second place.

Never thought of that but the more I think about it the more it adds up. Cricket is huge and Morgan would be in the top 30 players on the planet one would think. McIlroy an appropriate shout too.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    McGregor is a VERY rude young man. He’d be better off if people didn’t know who he was, he is impressing NOBODY with his antics, rude behavior and only serving to bring shame on his family. A filthy mouth too, nothing but gutter talk. A disgrace ! :eek:

He is a famous disgrace though.
    His antics help the marketing he is like an aggressive, fitter, younger, Donald Trump. Conor McGregor knows his target market. They think he is God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Alan kernaghan

He is a famous disgrace though.
    His antics help the marketing he is like an aggressive, fitter, younger, Donald Trump. Conor McGregor knows his target market. They think he is God.

That’s it, I don’t like the guy but he’s playing, or certainly was, a pantomime villain. Everything is calculated to increase his standing and fame which in turn increases his bank balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It’s probably Roy Keane.

In terms of Ireland’s greatest, probably Harrington, Delaney (not John), or O’Driscoll, and McIlroy if people from Northern Ireland are included.

McGregor
    Sheamus
    Becky Lynch
    George Best
    McIlroy
    Eoin Morgan
    Carl Frampton
    Darren Clarke
    Joey Dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

No egg chaser can be considered the most famous - McGregor shockingly probably is but he is an entertainer as far as most are concerned.

entertainer with a splash of 'Gob****e':rolleyes:

• Advertisement

McGregor
    Sheamus
    Becky Lynch
    George Best
    McIlroy
    Eoin Morgan
    Carl Frampton
    Darren Clarke
    Joey Dunlop

Who's becky lynch?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

McGregor
    Sheamus
    Becky Lynch
    George Best
    McIlroy
    Carl Frampton
    Darren Clarke
    Joey Dunlop

Glad to see joey is not forgotten, and stick Tom Herron in their too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Conor McGregor probably. It's either him or Eoin Morgan as was mentioned. Anyone discounting or laughing off Eoin Morgan is crazy. The population of India is 1.3 billion and cricket is the biggest sport over there and eoin Morgan would be very well known by anyone who knows anything about cricket. Add is Pakistan, austrailia, England, Sri Lanka, south Africa, new Zealand, and west Indies and other places and you have a huge number of people who would know who he is.

McIlroy wouldn't be far off either. Outside of those 3 I don't think anyone is close to competing with them.

McGregor
    Sheamus
    Becky Lynch
    George Best
    McIlroy
    Eoin Morgan
    Carl Frampton
    Darren Clarke
    Joey Dunlop

I would argue if you are including NI people in your list that Dennis Taylor/Ken Doherty/Alex Higgins are all more famous than Joey Dunlop.

How many generations have heard of Becky Lynch/Sheamus?
    Frampton I vaguely heard of, but if I was asked to pick him out of a crowd I would be guessing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Augme wrote: »
    McIlroy wouldn't be far off either. Outside of those 3 I don't think anyone is close to competing with them.
    I still reckon Georgie Best is more famous than Sammy McIlroy. Don't know where Jimmy Nicholl sits in all this though, as he was born in Canada

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Considering the huge global audience for cricket, I would agree Morgan is probably the most famous *current* Irish sportsman. Possibly mcilroy in second place. Sexton 3rd
    Sexton wouldn't be close. Rugby is played properly by what like 12 countries? Pretty much the entire continents of Asia, US and South America and most of Europe wouldn't have a clue who he is.

McGregor, Morgan and McIlroy are well ahead of the pack. Given that boxing is one of the few true worldwide sports and that he fought Mayweather in the biggest selling boxing PPV of that year I'd say McGregor probably takes it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

It’s probably Roy Keane.

McGregor
    Sheamus
    Becky Lynch
    George Best
    McIlroy
    Eoin Morgan
    Carl Frampton
    Darren Clarke
    Joey Dunlop

Best, McIlroy, Frampton, Clarke, and Dunlop aren’t Irish in the truest sense.

I would argue if you are including NI people in your list that Dennis Taylor/Ken Doherty/Alex Higgins are all more famous than Joey Dunlop.

How many generations have heard of Becky Lynch/Sheamus?
    Frampton I vaguely heard of, but if I was asked to pick him out of a crowd I would be guessing.

Ken Doherty is a Dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Augme wrote: »
    Conor McGregor probably. It's either him or Eoin Morgan as was mentioned. Anyone discounting or laughing off Eoin Morgan is crazy. The population of India is 1.3 billion and cricket is the biggest sport over there and eoin Morgan would be very well known by anyone who knows anything about cricket. Add is Pakistan, austrailia, England, Sri Lanka, south Africa, new Zealand, and west Indies and other places and you have a huge number of people who would know who he is.

Cricket has about 2 billion fans. Admittedly it’s the biggest sport in just a few countries but they are very populous countries. India has 1.3B people who are fanatical about it. There there’s pakistan (about 300M), Bangladesh and Indonesia. Huge populations in all those countries. The last three have a bigger population than Europe, the former has more people than north and south America. There are other countries, like England, South Africa and other African commonwealth countries where it’s a big, but not the biggest sport. Lastly the Anglophone Caribbean where it is the biggest sport.

Eoin Morgan is known by most of these fans. He’s a captain.

Golf on the other hand isn’t the biggest sport anywhere and McElroy is one of many players at the crowded top of the game.

McGregor - hard to say. MMA isn’t the most popular sport anywhere but his fame may transcend the actual sport. But do French people or Italians or the Indians know about him? I don’t know.

George best never played in a World Cup. I don’t think he was all that famous outside Ireland and the UK in his day, except for a few connoisseurs.

Roy Keane may have been (and maybe still is) our most famous sportsman because, unlike Best, he was playing when the English club game was world famous and shown all over the world. And he was captain of the premiership’s most famous team. Nothing to do with Saipan.

Sean Kelly is barely remembered today and was a minority interest then.

Eddie Irvine was famous enough and F1 is more popular than people think but he’s not the most famous sportsman.

So for me a tossup between Keane and Morgan.

I don't think South Americans or North Americans or Africans watch cricket. Chinese don't watch cricket either.
    I'd imagine the US Masters and the British Open golf tournaments have a much bigger audience than any cricket tournament so I'll put Harrington and McIlroy ahead of any cricket guy. I'll put Seamus Coleman ahead of any cricket players too because soccer is truly global and the Premier league is the most watched domestic league with 4.7 billion estimated viewers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement