Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wtf has pro-wrestling got to do with Ireland's biggest sports stars?

Its biggest star of the moment is Irish and headlining the Wrestlemania event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Larbre34 wrote:
    Well I never heard of him. I don't know his name and wouldn't be interested anyways. I doubt too many would.
    Also it's not a sport because it's fake. It's entertainment like a circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Larbre34 wrote: »

He would be a shoe in for Ireland's most famous soap star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a she. Although she does go by the handle 'The Man'

Comes from Baldoyle, used to be Aer Lingus cabin crew, now routinely kicks UFC battler Ronda Rousey's arshe around for fun. Perhaps you've heard of her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

He would be a shoe in for Ireland's most famous soap star

Ah now, there'd be stiff competition from Leo from Fair City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Mrsmum wrote: »
    My American, college going nephews and nieces tell me McGregor is off the scale massive among that age group over there. On a college trip to Dublin for one of them, apparently all any of the group of lads really wanted was to do a tour of all Conor's haunts and were disappointed there wasn't such a tour available. They were also very surprised that when they mentioned his name here, locals didn't have the same adoration towards him.

If 'twas adulation they were after they should have sought out a few of his friends if you get my meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say most people in a certain age bracket would at least be aware of Becky Lynch. I haven't seen WWE in about 20+ years and couldn't tell you at all who's in it, other than knowing about Becky Lynch through social media and being in the papers all the time. As well as that 'Seamus' guy as well, for the same reason that he's Irish, but both are particularly huge stars in that field.
    Chris Benoit didn't take steroids, right? Lol. Seems like you don't know too much about your interest yourself...

By your strange logic, all cyclists are juiced up to the gills because, Lance Armstrong. It's not much of an argument.

There are steroids in every sport, wrestling both the sport and WWE included. Moaning about steroids being rife in the 80's and 90's isn't very relevant. Many, many legitimately recognised sports also had far more serious drug problems years ago also.
    Regardless of the debate of who the most famous Irish sports person is (and it's certainly not Becky whoever), wrestlemania is not a sport, WWE is not a sport. Sports people may be involved, but it's far from a sport.

No-one said it was a recognised sport, the argument was that it involves extreme athleticism, which it does, and some posters were arguing to the contrary. Some people are just incapable around here of having a logical argument without letting their blind hatred for things cloud the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Comes from Baldoyle, used to be Aer Lingus cabin crew, now routinely kicks UFC battler Ronda Rousey's arshe around for fun. Perhaps you've heard of her?

Except for the fact she doesn't. Ronda would break her face in a second if it was a legit fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Conor McGregor is famous, but a lot of people who know who he is don't even consider him a sportsman. UFC is effectively banned in France, for example.
    That could change depending on how he and UFC are viewed down the road, but right now I'm excluding him on that basis.

I'm also excluding sports whose popular profile extends only to Ireland and\or Britain.

So right now, my contenders are:
    Soccer: George Best, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Robbie Keane
    Cycling: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche
    Rugby: Brian O'Driscoll
    Cricket: Eoin Morgan (given profile of Cricket World Cup)
    Golf: Padraig Harrington, Rory McIlroy (given profile of Ryder Cup)
    Boxing: Katie Taylor

Out of that list I am picking George Best.
    - People are still talking about him half a century later, so if you add up all those people across five decades that is a deeper footprint than someone with a short 'peak' of fame
    - Soccer has a higher mass\global profile than any other sports above
    - Manchester United are one of the most popular soccer teams in the world, and Best is one of their most famous players
    - European Footballer of the Year in 1968
    - And clinching argument for me is that there's a bloody airport named after him that gets millions of visitors a year :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best_Belfast_City_Airport

The only other people on the list I can see a transport hub being named after are Sean Kelly & Katie Taylor.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the Irish guy with his name in the team might have been more famous at the time...
    Im not sure of the global profile of F1 with the average joe in India, Japan, China, US, Russia, Africa though.

The F1 circuit goes to Japan, China, Russia and the US. It used to go to India. Then add markets like Brazil, Malaysia and the Middle East.

• Advertisement

The F1 circuit goes to Japan, China, Russia and the US. It used to go to India.

I know the circuit does, but how deep does the profile go I wonder?
    Much coverage on regular TV etc?
    How aware was the average sports fan in those countries of F1 etc.
    The 1994 soccer world cup was in the USA but how many Yanks knew who Roberto Baggio was, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Conor McGregor is famous, but a lot of people who know who he is don't even consider him a sportsman. UFC is effectively banned in France, for example.
    That could change depending on how he and UFC are viewed down the road, but right now I'm excluding him on that basis.

I'm also excluding sports whose popular profile extends only to Ireland and\or Britain.

So right now, my contenders are:
    Soccer: George Best, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Robbie Keane
    Cycling: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche
    Rugby: Brian O'Driscoll
    Cricket: Eoin Morgan (given profile of Cricket World Cup)
    Golf: Padraig Harrington, Rory McIlroy (given profile of Ryder Cup)
    Boxing: Katie Taylor

Out of that list I am picking George Best.
    - People are still talking about him half a century later, so if you add up all those people across five decades that is a deeper footprint than someone with a short 'peak' of fame
    - Soccer has a higher mass\global profile than any other sports above
    - Manchester United are one of the most popular soccer teams in the world, and Best is one of their most famous players
    - European Footballer of the Year in 1968
    - And clinching argument for me is that there's a bloody airport named after him that gets millions of visitors a year :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best_Belfast_City_Airport

The only other people on the list I can see a transport hub being named after are Sean Kelly & Katie Taylor.

I was ridiculed and ppl attempted to silence me for suggesting G Best but it’s clear he is the most famous Irish sports person ever.

McG doesn’t come close and especially as time goes on it will be crystal clear.

Huge amounts of ppl don’t even consider him a sportsman. More of an Internet “celeb”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think George Best is somewhat like Conor McGregor in that both of their escapades off pitch, so to speak, added to their overall fame. George was very well known for stuff which was nothing to do with football ie his good looks, his love life, his glamorous wives, his alcoholism & issues around that. I think it's unfair to say Conor McGregor is really known for his notorious antics while at the same time pretend like George Best is only known for his footballing skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I think George Best is somewhat like Conor McGregor in that both of their escapades off pitch, so to speak, added to their overall fame. George was very well known for stuff which was nothing to do with football ie his good looks, his love life, his glamorous wives, his alcoholism & issues around that. I think it's unfair to say Conor McGregor is really known for his notorious antics while at the same time pretend like George Best is only known for his footballing skills.
    Good point. Very true. And if Best was alive today he'd be all over social media and probably would be our most famous sports star, but for his actions off the pitch.
    Will the people lionising Best while scorning McGregor see the hypocrisy? Doubtful. It'll be different for some reason

xckjoo wrote: »
    Good point. Very true. And if Best was alive today he'd be all over social media and probably would be our most famous sports star, but for his actions off the pitch.
    Will the people lionising Best while scorning McGregor see the hypocrisy? Doubtful. It'll be different for some reason

Well just from me - see my post earlier in thread where I say he was far from an angel and I also tell the famous waiter story about him which if you haven’t heard is worth a read for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Routinely kicks Ronda Rousey around for fun :D Give over, it would be a total no contest between Ronda and any of the other ladies in a legit contest. Love wrestling but anyone saying that Becky Lynch is Ireland's most famous sports star is just wrong.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Conor McGregor is famous, but a lot of people who know who he is don't even consider him a sportsman. UFC is effectively banned in France, for example. That could change depending on how he and UFC are viewed down the road, but right now I'm excluding him on that basis.
    Because UFC is banned in France?
    That is plain stupid.
    MMA is a sport whether it appeals to you or not.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    Yet you don't give any examples.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    So right now, my contenders are: Soccer: George Best, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Robbie Keane Cycling: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche Rugby: Brian O'Driscoll Cricket: Eoin Morgan (given profile of Cricket World Cup) Golf: Padraig Harrington, Rory McIlroy (given profile of Ryder Cup) Boxing: Katie Taylor
    I don't think Chinese people watch cricket. Of the 1000's of people I know I can name four who watch cricket.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    Out of that list I am picking George Best. - People are still talking about him half a century later, so if you add up all those people across five decades that is a deeper footprint than someone with a short 'peak' of fame - Soccer has a higher mass\global profile than any other sports above - Manchester United are one of the most popular soccer teams in the world, and Best is one of their most famous players - European Footballer of the Year in 1968 - And clinching argument for me is that there's a bloody airport named after him that gets millions of visitors a year
    George Best was famous in the UK and Ireland but not very well known outside of there. Football fans in other European countries may have heard his name but I doubt they would know who he was if you showed them a picture of him.
    The world has changed a lot even since the great man died. We have social media now in every corner of the world. People can access all the information about every sports athlete with the touch of a screen.
    No doubt that Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington and Conor McGregor have a way bigger world profile than any other Irish athletes in history.
    I'd even put Katie Taylor as more famous than most of your list due to the age we live in.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    That all has to play out yet. Conor McGregor is still a young man. We don't know what he will do over the rest of his life. He is very wealthy and if he settles down and gets involved in charities and helping people he could maintain a very good profile over the rest of his life. If he does that then it's entirely possible that something large could be named after him. When he leaves all the shouting and roaring and vulgarity behind him it'll be soon forgotten about.
    I'm not sure that will happen though, it appears he is heading for WWE and that'll mean he will move over and back for MMA fights like other WWE stars. I don't think we've seen the last of him in MMA.
    Regardless MMA is a sport and he is the biggest MMA star in history. He transcended the sport. As I've shown earlier he is up there with Floyd Mayweather for selling ppv fights.
    I'm not sure who is the most well known of the three names I mentioned at the start but there is absolutely no doubt that they are more well known than any other Irish sports people in history.

That is plain stupid.

I don't think Chinese people watch cricket. Of the 1000's of people I know I can name four who watch cricket.

George Best was famous in the UK and Ireland but not very well known outside of there. Football fans in other European countries may have heard his name but I doubt they would know who he was if you showed them a picture of him.
    The world has changed a lot even since the great man died. We have social media now in every corner of the world. People can access all the information about every sports athlete with the touch of a screen.
    No doubt that Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington and Conor McGregor have a way bigger world profile than any other Irish athletes in history.
    I'd even put Katie Taylor as more famous than most of your list due to the age we live in.

That all has to play out yet. Conor McGregor is still a young man. We don't know what he will do over the rest of his life. He is very wealthy and if he settles down and gets involved in charities and helping people he could maintain a very good profile over the rest of his life. If he does that then it's entirely possible that something large could be named after him. When he leaves all the shouting and roaring and vulgarity behind him it'll be soon forgotten about.
    I'm not sure that will happen though, it appears he is heading for WWE and that'll mean he will move over and back for MMA fights like other WWE stars. I don't think we've seen the last of him in MMA.
    Regardless MMA is a sport and he is the biggest MMA star in history. He transcended the sport. As I've shown earlier he is up there with Floyd Mayweather for selling ppv fights.
    I'm not sure who is the most well known of the three names I mentioned at the start but there is absolutely no doubt that they are more well known than any other Irish sports people in history.

Just on cricket do you realise how popular it is in India,Pakistan Bangladesh ? Check out their populations

That is plain stupid.

Personally I don't think it's a sport, but I don't have a strong opinion on it either way. But given that a lot of people on this thread don't think it's a sport, and this is even reflected in the official stance of some countries, I don't think it's legit to count McGregor's fame as being that of a sports star.

Do I have to spell out why I don't list GAA stars???

I don't see your point? How many Chinese or Indian people play or follow the Ryder Cup or even know the competition exists? Google suggests less than 500,000 golfers in China.
    Harrington and McIlroy have a global profile in golf but golf's profile does not match soccer. Not does it have the concentrated numbers of fans of cricket in populous countries such as India, Pakistan.

If you showed someone a picture of Padraig Harrington outside Ireland or outside of a golf club who would know him?
    Best was European Footballer of the Year in 1968. Football is the most popular sport in UK and Ireland and he has been famous there for five decades.
    Manchester United have 70 million followers on Facebook, if even 10% of them take an interest in the history of their club, that's millions who will know who Best is. Plus, airport.
    That all has to play out yet. Conor McGregor is still a young man.

I did say that the views of him and UFC could change.

• Advertisement

I take your point that it added to his overall fame, but it was a factor of his footballing fame though. He was European Footballer of the Year in 1968 before all that nonsense and it got the attention that it did because he was such a famous sports star.
    Lots of footballers have gone off the rails, Tony Adams, Paul Merson; Ashley Cole had a famous wife. We won't be talking about them in 50 years unless you're at an Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah this mma isn’t a sport is just nonsense of course it’s a sport as it fits the criteria for being a sport. You may not like it or the people involved but you can’t dismiss based on that. I dislike basketball but if the top nba star was from mullingar and I said I don’t count him as I don’t consider basketball a sport I’d be laughed out of the forum.
    Best isn’t as well known as Mc Gregor because he was famous long before the obsession with celebrity and social media came along. If he was playing now and living his lifestyle he would be a massive celebrity making him very well known but he’s not outside of limited circles.
    Mc Gregor bring as famous as he is isn’t a slight on any other sports or sportspeople that we might hold high by the way he’s just a product of modern obsessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I'v no time for Mc Gregor,I think he is a slimy scrote of the highest order.

The fact is though, he is hands down,the most famous sportsperson to EVER come from Ireland.

His name is known worldwide,even by people who know nothing about MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Uncharted wrote: »
    I'v no time for Mc Gregor,I think he is a slimy scrote of the highest order.

The fact is though, he is hands down,the most famous sportsperson to EVER come from Ireland.

His name is known worldwide,even by people who know nothing about MMA.

I'd say Rory McIlroy is probably more or at least as famous, just not as notorious perhaps.

I'd say Rory McIlroy is probably more or at least as famous, just not as notorious perhaps.

I'm open to persuasion on this, but I'm not sure how 'deep' interest in golf is globally. I doubt it's even in the Top 5 of sports in any country.
    Cricket, Rugby, even Cycling have localized pockets of high popularity.
    That's why I wouldn't pick him as the most famous sports star.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Personally I don't think it's a sport, but I don't have a strong opinion on it either way. But given that a lot of people on this thread don't think it's a sport, and this is even reflected in the official stance of some countries, I don't think it's legit to count McGregor's fame as being that of a sports star.
    It's a sport. There are lots of McGregor haters out there and on boards.ie who will come up with any ridiculous notion to try and void him of any credit.
    I'm not a huge McGregor fan, hate all the vile stuff that comes out of his mouth but he is a sportsman. MMA is a sport. You can't take that away from him. He is one more of the biggest sports stars in the world. No hiding from that fact.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    Do I have to spell out why I don't list GAA stars???
    I was just pointing out that you didn't list any sport which you claimed was UK and Ireland only.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    I don't see your point? How many Chinese or Indian people play or follow the Ryder Cup or even know the competition exists? Google suggests less than 500,000 golfers in China. Harrington and McIlroy have a global profile in golf but golf's profile does not match soccer. Not does it have the concentrated numbers of fans of cricket in populous countries such as India, Pakistan.
    Golf is watched all over the world. The PGA tour have a mini-tour in China. Haotong Li is a huge star in China and he is playing on the PGA tour now.
    I don't watch the Ryder Cup anymore and I'm a huge golf fan. The majors are where it's at, McIlroy and Harrington are multiple major winners ergo they are huge names globally.
    I'm not claiming that soccer isn't a huge global game. Two of the three most recognised names globally would be Messi and Ronaldo with Mayweather being the other one.
    My point was about Roy Keane who was well known in the UK and Ireland, and pretty well known to soccer fans in Europe but he wouldn't have anywhere close to the global identification of McIlroy, Harrington or McGregor.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    If you showed someone a picture of Padraig Harrington outside Ireland or outside of a golf club who would know him? Best was European Footballer of the Year in 1968. Football is the most popular sport in UK and Ireland and he has been famous there for five decades. Manchester United have 70 million followers on Facebook, if even 10% of them take an interest in the history of their club, that's millions who will know who Best is. Plus, airport.
    You see you don't seem to understand that sports stars are known by more people nowadays due to social media and by 24 hour sports coverage.
    odyssey06 wrote:
    I did say that the views of him and UFC could change.
    MMA is a sport. Go check kids books and it's listed as a sport, go to the BBC list of sports and you'll find it there too. Hell go to any respected site for a list of sports and you'll find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

There's 2 brazillians work here with me - out of interest I've just asked them both do they know who George Best is, not a clue! Neither knew of McIlroy and both new McGregor.

Now, I could use a bigger sample size (5 or 6 maybe:D)

But, statistics don't lie. In a recent poll 0% of Brazilians had heard of Best or McIlroy, whereas 100% had heard of McGregor

Isn't UFC really popular in Brazil?

I know football is too but arent they more likely to know a current UFc fighter than a guy who played football in the 60's.

Although having said that. A lot of the Brazilian players from the 60's are still widely spoken about by football fans AROUND THE WORLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'm open to persuasion on this, but I'm not sure how 'deep' interest in golf is globally. I doubt it's even in the Top 5 of sports in any country.

The consensus here is that Conor McGregor is reckoned to be the most famous Irish sports person.

I doubt UFC is more popular than Golf.

The consensus here is that Conor McGregor is reckoned to be the most famous Irish sports person.

Certainly more people play golf, a sport being more popular doesn’t equate to the top people being more famous or well known. In the world now social media elevated people beyond their achievements. It’s all about the cult of the celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

What is your criteria for something to be considered a sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The glaringly obvious fact people keep missing is that popularity and global reach of the sport does not correlate directly to fame of individuals.

McGregor has completely transcended the sport he competes/competed in. Honestly what is so hard to grasp about that.

Notwithstanding that MMA is a huge sport, it's not remotely niche at all and global audience is large and growing. If you consider MMA niche, then so are a lot of popular sports.

A lot of people think MMA will overtake boxing going forward. It's here to stay whether people like it or not (and no-one's forcing anyone to like it but, claims that it's not a real sport, is niche, or dying are just complete nonsense)

Golf is huge and has global reach. Are you seriously suggesting there's an Irish Rugby player, cricketeer or cyclist more famous than McIllroy? That would be absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The combined fame and reach of all other Irish sports stars is probably about that of McGregor. He transcended the sport of UFC. People who have never watched a fight, or his boxing fight, know his name. Your grandmother knows who he is.

As much as people don't want to admit it, he's just on a different level.

Rory McIlroy has to be 2nd. He does have the PGA golf videogame named after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Paul and Gary O’Donovan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Knex. wrote: »
    The combined fame and reach of all other Irish sports stars is probably about that of McGregor. He transcended the sport of UFC. People who have never watched a fight, or his boxing fight, know his name. Your grandmother knows who he is.

As much as people don't want to admit it, he's just on a different level.

Rory McIlroy has to be 2nd. He does have the PGA golf videogame named after him.

UFC is not a Sport it’s an organisation.

Golf is huge and has global reach. Are you seriously suggesting there's an Irish Rugby player, cricketeer or cyclist more famous than McIllroy? That would be absurd.

Depends on whether you are counting countries he is known in versus total number of people.
    Kelly and Roche in the 80s were known across Europe.
    Morgan in India and England for cricket.

Golf isnt a top 5 sport in US and UK. McIlroy is in top 100 in US so I amnt saying he is a nobody.
    Outside of those countries there are golf events yes but whats the awareness of the average population of golf.
    So where are the numbers coming from.
    If you have numbers showing golfs popularity outside US - UK I am all ears.

McIlroy has 1.2 millon facebook fans. I wonder where it ranks globally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Omackeral wrote: »
    -Kurt Angle is an Olympic gold medalist.

-Mark Henry was legitimately the world's strongest man.

-Current WWE Woomen's champion Ronda Rousey is a former UFC Womens Champion and an Olympic medalist in judo.

-Brock Lesnar was a 2 time NCAA wrestling champion as well as UFC Heavyweight Champion.

That's off the top of my head.

You've shown your ignorance on here already. Keep it up though.

Ken Shamrock was also a UFC fighter.

MMA is a sport, UFC is an organisation who organise and promote MMA fights.

McIlroy has 1.2 millon facebook fans. I wonder where it ranks globally.

McGregor has 7.9 million facebook fans and over 20x Rorys instagram followers.

Again, what is your criteria for something to be considered a sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

feargale wrote: »
    At least, unlike Eoin Morgan, Declan Rice was born in England.

You do know what he plays for England ?

Naos wrote: »
    Again, what is your criteria for something to be considered a sport?

If it's a legitimate sport why is it not recognised as such in France and not recognised by Sport Ireland through any official sports governing body in this country?

If it's a legitimate sport why is it not recognised as such in France and not recognised by Sport Ireland through any official sports governing body in this country?

Going by that every sport in the world must have a recognized body in every country in the world or else it’s not a legitimate sport?

• Advertisement

Did you misunderstand my question? I am asking what criteria you would use for something to be deemed a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ken Shamrock was also a UFC fighter.

He was a Mixed Martial Artist before he did Pro Wrestling.

Did you misunderstand my question? I am asking what criteria you would use for something to be deemed a sport.

Boxing is recognised by sport Ireland and the Olympics because it's competitive but also meets certain standards in terms of the welfare of participants.
    My understanding is that MMA at present doesn't meet those standards and so isn't recognised.

What criteria do you use for something to be deemed a sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

callaway92 wrote: »
    He was a Mixed Martial Artist before he did Pro Wrestling.

Exactly, so it backs up the point that people who do pro wrestling are more than capable of competing in other sports.

Boxing is recognised by sport Ireland and the Olympics because it's competitive but also meets certain standards in terms of the welfare of participants.
    My understanding is that MMA at present doesn't meet those standards and so isn't recognised.

There is a very simple definition of a sport, just have a quick google. Your mixing up sport with having a sporting organization recognized by a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not sure that's a reliable metric. Does hurling have a governing body in France? Are those bodies not more related to funding and promotion than anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

And GAA is not a sport, its an association. But we all know saying that is pedantic nonsense.

You appear to be having difficulties responding to a very simple and clear question.

I am not sure how boxing or the Olympics came into your answer.

What CRITERIA do YOU use to qualify if something is a sport or not?

For example, the Oxford dictionary define sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Would you agree with that?

Alternatively, the Council of Europe charter on sport uses the following definition: "Sport means all forms of physical activity, which through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels".

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure that's a reliable metric. Does hurling have a governing body in France? Are those bodies not more related to funding and promotion than anything else?

If it was being played there on a competitive organised basis then I'd think some sort of governing body would be needed. Especially if the organisation governing sport in the country as a whole had publicly expressed concerns about the safety of participants and actively did not recognise it as a sport.

• Advertisement

You appear to be having difficulties responding to a very simple and clear question.

I am not sure how boxing or the Olympics came into your answer.

What CRITERIA do YOU use to qualify if something is a sport or not?

For example, the Oxford dictionary define sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Would you agree with that?

No. Under that definition bare knuckle boxing is a sport. Actually so is Irish dancing.

Advertisement