Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is/was Ireland's most famous sports star?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it was being played there on a competitive organised basis then I'd think some sort of governing body would be needed. Especially if the organisation governing sport in the country as a whole had publicly expressed concerns about the safety of participants and actively did not recognise it as a sport.

So if hurling was set up in France but their government didn’t recognize it as a sport then hurling is no longer a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ush1 wrote: »
    Exactly, so it backs up the point that people who do pro wrestling are more than capable of competing in other sports.

I'd argue that they are athletes rather than sports stars. To me a sport would need the competitive aspect. The predetermined aspect of Pro wrestling pushes it into the "entertainment" side of things.

Knex. wrote: »
    And GAA is not a sport, its an association. But we all know saying that is pedantic nonsense.
    You'd get some quare looks if you said you were going playing GAA though :D
    No. Under that definition bare knuckle boxing is a sport.
    You disagree with the how the Oxford dictionary defines things? You're not lacking in self belief anyway. I'll give you that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Boxing is recognised by sport Ireland and the Olympics because it's competitive but also meets certain standards in terms of the welfare of participants.
    My understanding is that MMA at present doesn't meet those standards and so isn't recognised.

What criteria do you use for something to be deemed a sport?

Just on the Sport Ireland thing, SafeMMA needed to have three years worth of financials to get recognition, that three years is almost up since SafeMMA's inception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xckjoo wrote:
    I'd argue that they are athletes rather than sports stars. To me a sport would need the competitive aspect. The predetermined aspect of Pro wrestling pushes it into the "entertainment" side of things.
    Yes it's just like a circus, you have high flying acrobats and clown acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

xckjoo wrote: »

Agree, I wouldn't call them sports stars either. Sure look at CM Punk when he tried a real competitive sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

No. Under that definition bare knuckle boxing is a sport. Actually so is Irish dancing.

Okay, so for the 4th time - what criteria would you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

salmocab wrote: »
    So if hurling was set up in France but their government didn’t recognize it as a sport then hurling is no longer a sport.

It's certainly open to debate as to whether it's considered a sport if Sport France or whatever look at it and decide we're not recognising it as a sport due to concerns about player welfare - and the sport even after several years cannot address those concerns.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If we're talking worldwide internationally famous, it's Conor McGregor. Rory McIlroy is probably second.

Naos wrote: »
    Okay, so for the 4th time - what criteria would you use?

I'll go with whatever criteria Sport Ireland are using. Or the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Is darts a sport?

Just on the Sport Ireland thing, SafeMMA needed to have three years worth of financials to get recognition, that three years is almost up since SafeMMA's inception

Thanks - as I have said in the thread, I'm not saying MMA will never be recognised as a sport or criticised any of its fans or participants. In a few years time if you asked me this question again, my answer could be different. I'm just being very specific about its current state of play.

Jaysus.

I have to laugh sometimes (not in a bad way)- a fairly harmless thread about famous Irish sports persons has fallen down due to a disagreement over the definition of 'sport'.

It's certainly open to debate as to whether it's considered a sport if Sport France or whatever look at it and decide we're not recognising it as a sport due to concerns about player welfare - and the sport even after several years cannot address those concerns.

No something doesn’t cease to be a sport because the French government say so, it’s a definition not something that has to be recognized by every government on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Is darts a sport?

I'd say it's a game rather than a sport, which isn't knocking it, love the darts. But wouldn't consider it a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd say it's a game rather than a sport, which isn't knocking it, love the darts. But wouldn't consider it a sport.

If you can play it with a pint in your hand while smoking a cigarette, it's not a sport. That's the official sports council of Irelands definition.

I'm starting to think you're not serious when you say things like this. Have you not heard of all the controversy about CTE/head injuries in American Football and even soccer? How does that factor into your personal views on what's classified as a sport? Is it literally just if there's an official body it's a sport?

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you can play it with a pint in your hand while smoking a cigarette, it's not a sport. That's the official sports council of Irelands definition.

What about a cigarette in the mouth..a la Alex Higgins circa 1980. Is snooker a sport?

Fair enough.

From Sport Irelands 'Criteria for Recognition':
    The sport meets the criteria for sport as outlined in the Sport Ireland Act 2015, which is adopted from the Council of Europe "Definition of Sport".

PT.1 S.2 [No. 15.] Sport Ireland Act 2015

“Competitive sport” means all forms of physical activity which, through organised participation, aim at—
    (a) expressing or improving physical fitness, and
    (b) obtaining improved results in competition at all levels

and
    Council of Europe (2001). The Europmean sports charter(revised). Brussels: Council of Europe

Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm starting to think you're not serious when you say things like this. Have you not heard of all the controversy about CTE/head injuries in American Football and even soccer? How does that factor into your personal views on what's classified as a sport? Is it literally just if there's an official body it's a sport?

Boxing is infinitely more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What about a cigarette in the mouth..a la Alex Higgins circa 1980. Is snooker a sport?

While I like snooker and darts, they're as much as a sport as Jenga is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Cienciano wrote: »

Darts is a pub sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Would everyone who has heard of Rory McIlroy connect him to Ireland though or would a lot of people from the group that know him consider him British ??

Whereas everyone that knows of Conor McGregor knows he's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Jaysus.

I have to laugh sometimes (not in a bad way)- a fairly harmless thread about famous Irish sports persons has fallen down due to a disagreement over the definition of 'sport'.

Gone to the stage now where boards is becoming a joke. Thread starts. Smart ass first to arrive, then the experts and then the ones who want to keep going around in circles. There was a time when threads were civil and only people genuinely interested would get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

NOT sure about most famous but certainly the greatest...Arkle ...they had to rewrite the rule book to keep up with him.

I suppose taking all things into consideration such as popularity of the sport (worldwide appeal) and different generations I tend to lean toward Roy Keane.

For example kids in Africa or South America are football mad and following the EPL. I can't say the same for golf or MME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Gone to the stage now where boards is becoming a joke. Thread starts. Smart ass first to arrive, then the experts and then the ones who want to keep going around in circles. There was a time when threads were civil and only people genuinely interested would get involved.

Exactly. Threads like this are a complete bore. Those who keep going around in circles amaze me. Surely there's something more productive you can do with your time than spend hours on an argument you can't win with some unknown person as stubborn as you.

Brexit threads etc are really interesting I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

UFC is popular amongst two main elements - criminals, and relatively young men with anger issues. There’s billions of people on this planet who have never heard of it, never watched one of those boring cage fights, or ever had the displeasure of seeing that gurning moron, McGregor.

What a load of awful bollocks. I did martial arts for years, all of my friends watched UFC not a single one had "anger issues" in fact they were the opposite.

I really hate these broad,inane comments, but then I realise this is boards.ie and most opinions here are bat**** stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The question is too broad to give a valid opinion. You have to account for nationally vs internationally also, not just past vs present.

• Advertisement

There's no official body recognition *because* of the dangers to participants - of an order that is far beyond anything in american football or soccer currently. To meet the criteria of safety any governing body would have to modify it. So currently it is not a sport.
    It's more like what American Football went through 100 years ago when the US government intervened in because of the number of injuries and deaths and the game itself seemed incapable of making it safer for participants.

Really, McG probably did damage to the perception of MMA as a sport..A proper sport would have fights based primarily on merit/random selection..Not all that money fight sh1te..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anna Geary, well she thinks she is!

Anna Geary, well she thinks she is!

Never heard of her. I just had to Google her and I'm from Cork...:o

evil_seed wrote: »
    The question is too broad to give a valid opinion. You have to account for nationally vs internationally also, not just past vs present.

That's what makes it a great After Hours debate... you can't settle it with a quick google :)

The is/was though makes it a bit broad.

That is an interesting question... most famous in Ireland.

Marengo wrote: »
    Exactly. Threads like this are a complete bore. Those who keep going around in circles amaze me. Surely there's something more productive you can do with your time than spend hours on an argument you can't win with some unknown person as stubborn as you.

Brexit threads etc are really interesting I find.
    I'm doing some awful boring stuff at work at the moment :pac:

• Advertisement

That's what makes it a great After Hours debate... you can't settle it with a quick google :)

A quick google definitively settles the definition of what a sport is, but that still trips up some people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

While I'm here I might aswell add my twopence.

I appreciate there are a lot of skills in MMA. However it just crosses the lines of brutality for me to be a fan.

McGregor is famous due to talent (nothing more outstanding, probably less than most of the other Irish sports stars mentioned here), his self professed noteriety and showmanship, the age of social media, and in American vocabulary, he's a 'badass'.

However talentwise, Katie Taylor, Sean Kelly, Liam Brady, Roy Keane, Mike Gibson, Brian O'Driscoll, John Tracey etc were more outstanding in their fields.

McGregor falls down terribly in terms of class and being a roll model. But modern day fame, yeah, undeniable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your lucky.
    She's meant to be the biggest nightmare to work with. I think she has a show on RedFM.

Fair enough.

From Sport Irelands 'Criteria for Recognition':
    The sport meets the criteria for sport as outlined in the Sport Ireland Act 2015, which is adopted from the Council of Europe "Definition of Sport".

PT.1 S.2 [No. 15.] Sport Ireland Act 2015

“Competitive sport” means all forms of physical activity which, through organised participation, aim at—
    (a) expressing or improving physical fitness, and
    (b) obtaining improved results in competition at all levels

and
    Council of Europe (2001). The Europmean sports charter(revised). Brussels: Council of Europe

Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.

Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

The only reason MMA and McGregor gets such press coverage here is because he is Irish. He doesn’t get that in other countries including the US.

So very wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mrsmum wrote:
    Would everyone who has heard of Rory McIlroy connect him to Ireland though or would a lot of people from the group that know him consider him British ??
    A large majority of people would call him Irish.
    And for they were unsure and went checking on him they'd see that he played on Irish teams his whole amateur career.
    They'd see that he is a huge supporter of Ulster Rugby which is part of the IRFU too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know about world but large parts of Europe don't give a damn about rugby. So they are out.

Sonia O'Sullivan, Roy Keane, Eddie Irvine and Stephen Roache would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

How do you know when someone is from Cork?

Yes, it's a good set of criteria, including:
    The NGB is committed to providing its members with technically and ethically sound and safe sport coaching programmes and content based on the Lifelong Involvement in Sport and Physical Activity (LISPA) framework.

Sport Ireland don’t get to decide what a sport is, they only get to recognize sporting organizations in Ireland. A sport just needs to fit the fairly loose definition and it’s a sport. Dangerous or dislike are irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Mrsmum wrote: »

Given McGregor's carry on, the British don't want to claim him.

Yes, it's a good set of criteria, including:
    The NGB is committed to providing its members with technically and ethically sound and safe sport coaching programmes and content based on the Lifelong Involvement in Sport and Physical Activity (LISPA) framework.

That outlines the NGB's commitment, not their definition of a sport.

You asked for the criteria Sport Ireland used to define a sport and I gave it to you.

So based on that, can you accept that MMA is a sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Tricky. Paul Mc Grath is, and always be my hero when it comes to the football. In boxing, Steve Collins just shades Barry Mc Guigan as I know him personally. Sonia ó Sullivan would be up on the top tier for sure too.

That outlines the NGB's commitment, not their definition of a sport.
    You asked for the criteria Sport Ireland used to define a sport and I gave it to you.
    So based on that, can you accept that MMA is a sport?

It's not a sport, because as constituted, it doesn't meet the criteria.
    The criteria lists the NGB as a mandatory element. It can't have an NGB unless the NGB puts in place the safety standards for the sport.
    Putting in place the safety standards will involve changes to MMA\UFC i.e. it would have to at least meet the same safety medical standards as boxing.
    Until it has the safety standards, ergo, it is not a sport.
    Talk to me when it does.

Which to come to the thread, is why Conor McGregor isn't Ireland's most famous sports star. Because he isn't a sports star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

...meet the same safety medical standards as boxing.
    Until it has the safety standards, ergo, it is not a sport.
    Talk to me when it does.

Boxing is far more dangerous than MMA. It involves getting thumped in the head non stop for 12 rounds. There's no real tap out option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement