Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy by the sea?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Depends on tha area. Some coastal areas are prone to damage, others are not. I am on an offshore island among houses built at least 150 years ago and no flooding or damage or risk however bad the weather

Wondering re the correlation between when houses were built and them being prone to storm damage? Maybe folk now are less keenly aware of
    dangers when they build?
    When folk built 150 years ago they were maybe more in touch with it all?

I would never live anywhere but by the sea, preferably on an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends on tha area. Some coastal areas are prone to damage, others are not. I am on an offshore island among houses built at least 150 years ago and no flooding or damage or risk however bad the weather

Wondering re the correlation between when houses were built and them being prone to storm damage? Maybe folk now are less keenly aware of
    dangers when they build?
    When folk built 150 years ago they were maybe more in touch with it all?

I would never live anywhere but by the sea, preferably on an island.

Yeah, good point. I'm within the vicinity of an old Rath. They knew their stuff back then. Are you on Achill Island Graces7?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I wouldn't wanna live directly at the seafront for various reasons, some environmental and some solely personal.
    I'd live within walking / short driving distance on an elevated side no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

My daughter was doing costal Erosion surveys up n down the coast. Greystones coastline has receeded 25 meters in last 100 years. Parts of it while she was doing survey receeded by 3ft due to that big storm last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

would never live by the sea, its always worse in storms, its several degrees colder all year around and always has a breeze. Ireland is no place to live by the sea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

would never live by the sea, its always worse in storms, its several degrees colder all year around and always has a breeze. Ireland is no place to live by the sea

It’s about 2 degrees colder in summer and 2 degrees warmer in winter. You’d be very lucky to ever find a hard frost within 300m of the sea in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

There's a reason the 'real feel' temperature is often reported as 10 to 15 degrees Celsius lower than the real temperature in Ireland. It's because of wind and humidity. You also need to heat your home more on windy and humid days than on frosty days.

Loving it ..longed for it for years... has a reality...

The really old houses were built facing south with their backs to the north and often no doors or windows on that side. The coldest place I ever lived up i n the mountains had been built west/east and got no sun on windows.

The old ruined house by me here has its wide gable end facing north, and is solid stone.

150 years old and just a field from the ocean but safe as they knew the lay of the land

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In another thread, I took the stance that buying beside the sea was, to put it bluntly, a fool's errand.
    • There's a steady flow of reports pointing to instability of icecaps
    • The science is overwhelmingly for continuing melting of icecaps
    • Warming temperatures means sea level rises through thermal expansion
    • Weather changes brings on storms of increasing intensity, turning placid seas at shoreline sea level A into raging seas at shoreline sea level B.
    • Scientific prediction of climate change past has undershot the extent of the problem. Things are worse than what was predicted to occur
    • No one knows about what complex interactions there may be that would turn even current predictive ability on it's head in a heartbeat. Example of same is recent NASA (I think) discovery of glacier melting from below (due to warming seas), whereas the forecasts were looking at things from a top down paradigm. Melting from below is considered significant because that's where the interface between the ice and the land is. Melt there and the whole thing can slide into the sea.

In light of this, buying by the sea looks like sticking your head in the sand. A case of form (sea views, sea amenity, fresh air) over function (being very careful as to the debt your saddling yourself with for 30 years)

The problem isn't necessarily restricted to your own house being consumed by rising seas. Before that occurs you would have the problem of collapsing value: in the event anything happens that indicates the risk of being overwhelmed by the sea is becoming more of a reality. Can't get insurance, can't sell, for example.

You can see it happen: world toddling along with global warming (subtley retitled to the somewhat less alarming "Climate Change" in the last few years). Then something happens and everyone (bar those active in the area who are already awake) wakes up. Your house plummets in value.

Realities like this occur all the time to folk who toddle along as if everything will continue to go on as it has done, forever. Tsumani? Wildfire? Fukushima?

What do folk think? Do they consider future of the sea in their reckoning of location, location, location?

Are folk Climate Change Delayers (sometime in the future, long after I'm gone), if not Climate Change Deniers

How close to the sea? Like Dublin city close? Or quite literally on some water front?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

....... wrote: »
    Its kind of swings and roundabouts, I work in Dun Laoghaire and when it snows where I live and I am trapped at home,/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? How often would you get snow in Dun Laoighre that would have you trapped in your home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Duffryman wrote: »
    Not Courtown, but close enough to show that it's happening all right:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/it-could-go-in-half-an-hours-time-couple-forced-to-abandon-dream-home-as-75-foot-cliff-crumbles-34461325.html

Personally though, it's salt corrosion and the thoughts of horrendous summertime tourist traffic that would stop me from living anywhere near the sea...

That’s coastal erosion not sea level rises. Most of Dublin is at sea level as it happens and the Liffey is tidal. So any rise affects the city centre. Cork is the same.

It’s about 2 degrees colder in summer and 2 degrees warmer in winter. You’d be very lucky to ever find a hard frost within 300m of the sea in Ireland.

there was many days last summer where the temp was 8-10 degrees warmer where i live inland as opposed to when i went to the beach (1.5 hours away)

Loving it ..longed for it for years... has a reality...  

The really old houses were built facing south with their backs to the north and often no doors or windows on that side. The coldest place I ever lived up i n the mountains had been built west/east and got no sun on windows.

The old ruined house by me here has its wide gable end facing north, and is solid stone.

150 years old and just a field from the ocean but safe as they knew the lay of the land
    whats to love ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Plenty of hard frost's every winter 50 yards from the sea. I play golf on a links overlooking the beach, plenty of frost in winter. In fact mornings when it's closed due to frost, I've nothing at my house 5 miles inland.

whats to love ?

Beach life, cliffs, surf, food, fun, wildlife, sea swimming, the salty tang, sailing, kayaking, fishing, peace & tranquility etc...

Have you ever been to the sea?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    whats to love ?

Beach life, cliffs, surf, food, fun, wildlife, sea swimming, the salty tang, sailing, kayaking, fishing, peace & tranquility etc...

Have you ever been to the sea?
    you can do all that by driving to the beach on the handful of days per year that its actually warm enough to enjoy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Plenty of hard frost's every winter 50 yards from the sea. I play golf on a links overlooking the beach, plenty of frost in winter. In fact mornings when it's closed due to frost, I've nothing at my house 5 miles inland.

Never warmer by the sea either, very rare there isnt a breeze.

Golf clubs close due to sub-terrain frost not surface frost, so you don't take lumps out of the ground. Big difference. The course will be frozen and closed til noon while there's nothing on your windscreen or footpath. Watch the weather this evening and you'll see it's going to be colder inland tonight, as always in winter.

you can do all that by driving to the beach on the handful of days per year that its actually warm enough to enjoy

I do that and a lot more! There’s winter leagues and frostbite series’s all around the coast of Ireland as well as the Spring, Summer Autumn regattas. You can kayak whenever you want, I surf throughout the year, modern wetsuits are a thing to behold, some have batteries and heating wires. People fish in the sea throughout the year too. Kitesurfers and windsurfers are out all year on my local beach.

There’s actually different types of access to the sea, not just the beach. There’s marina’s, slipways and harbours too. You can whale watch from cliffs or pay to go on a tour boat. Indeed, you can purchase your own boat and head out whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I live not far from the sea, I don't know what it's like to live by the Irish sea, I'm on the west coast.

But it's nice where I am, I'm telling you that much.

Just on the edge of a village not far from the Atlantic.

Amazing scenery.

Communities by the sea seem to have a great connection with the environment and community spirit.

During the downturn one could buy a house near the sea for next to nothing.

A few people took a chance back in 2009 bought a house for pittence, a detached modern house for SFA in a prime location.

One guy bought a beautiful house for less than 40,000, going concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Dunno about that. I used to (Dublin) commute from seaside inland about 4 miles on a motorbike. You could feel the cold deepening as you moved inwards. Wet roads would turn frosty, a light dusting of snow would turn a foot deep as you moved in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

lawred2 wrote: »
    In another thread, I took the stance that buying beside the sea was, to put it bluntly, a fool's errand.
    • There's a steady flow of reports pointing to instability of icecaps
    • The science is overwhelmingly for continuing melting of icecaps
    • Warming temperatures means sea level rises through thermal expansion
    • Weather changes brings on storms of increasing intensity, turning placid seas at shoreline sea level A into raging seas at shoreline sea level B.
    • Scientific prediction of climate change past has undershot the extent of the problem. Things are worse than what was predicted to occur
    • No one knows about what complex interactions there may be that would turn even current predictive ability on it's head in a heartbeat. Example of same is recent NASA (I think) discovery of glacier melting from below (due to warming seas), whereas the forecasts were looking at things from a top down paradigm. Melting from below is considered significant because that's where the interface between the ice and the land is. Melt there and the whole thing can slide into the sea.

In light of this, buying by the sea looks like sticking your head in the sand. A case of form (sea views, sea amenity, fresh air) over function (being very careful as to the debt your saddling yourself with for 30 years)

The problem isn't necessarily restricted to your own house being consumed by rising seas. Before that occurs you would have the problem of collapsing value: in the event anything happens that indicates the risk of being overwhelmed by the sea is becoming more of a reality. Can't get insurance, can't sell, for example.

You can see it happen: world toddling along with global warming (subtley retitled to the somewhat less alarming "Climate Change" in the last few years). Then something happens and everyone (bar those active in the area who are already awake) wakes up. Your house plummets in value.

Realities like this occur all the time to folk who toddle along as if everything will continue to go on as it has done, forever. Tsumani? Wildfire? Fukushima?

What do folk think? Do they consider future of the sea in their reckoning of location, location, location?

Are folk Climate Change Delayers (sometime in the future, long after I'm gone), if not Climate Change Deniers

How close to the sea? Like Dublin city close? Or quite literally on some water front?

Anywhere where property prices would be expected to nosedive in the case of a (sea level rate of rise) paradigm changing event.

You would clearly be better off if government built defences could expect to be erected but not as well off as not being vulnerable in the first instance.

Anywhere where property prices would be expected to nosedive in the case of a (sea level rate of rise) paradigm changing event.

You would clearly be better off if government built defences could expect to be erected but not as well off as not being vulnerable in the first instance.

to be honest - if sea level rises to a point where coastal areas are being submerged then all bets are off as most cities around the world will be under threat..

our entire way of living will be under threat..

worrying about your house value at that stage is a bit parochial..

lawred2 wrote: »
    to be honest - if sea level rises to a point where coastal areas are being submerged then all bets are off as most cities around the world will be under threat..

our entire way of living will be under threat..

worrying about your house value at that stage is a bit parochial..

This...

A 3 foot rise in sea level has Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and Drogheda city and town centres all submerged.

You either love living by the ocean or not. as you either love urban or rural life or not. individual choice and the one will never see the good things in the other for the bad.

For me, the beauty, the peace, the birdlife. The ocean at every window. If you did not enjoy those things, life here would be a misery for you .

Difference between visiting and residing is huge. Love winter here more than summer too

You either love living by the ocean or not. as you either love urban or rural life or not. individual choice and the one will never see the good things in the other for the bad.

For me, the beauty, the peace, the birdlife. The ocean at every window. If you did not enjoy those things, life here would be a misery for you .

Difference between visiting and residing is huge. Love winter here more than summer too

urban and seaside living for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Golf clubs close due to sub-terrain frost not surface frost, so you don't take lumps out of the ground. Big difference. The course will be frozen and closed til noon while there's nothing on your windscreen or footpath. Watch the weather this evening and you'll see it's going to be colder inland tonight, as always in winter.

I go out at 8am in winter, the course is often white. I'd say 40 times in the last 5 years. When it messes up your day you tend to remember. Still closed until the sub terrain on greens thaws around 11, but plenty of surface frost.

Might be colder inland tonight, I'm just stating my experience on some occassions there is visible surface frost on the coast (50m from the coast) whilst none 5 miles inland.

Why are you quoting me? I spend half my life in the Atlantic and the Irish Sea, I travel West to catch Winter Atlantic storms. Are you on Achill or offshore?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You're kidding right? How often would you get snow in Dun Laoighre that would have you trapped in your home?

They were saying there was no snow in Dun Laoghaire, where they work, compared to wherever it is they live, presumably further inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I dont live in Dun Laoghaire. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I have a place near the river liffey and was worried a few times already as if the water gets to the building the Car park will be flooded fast. Insurance will only cover any damage once. Will all the googles and offices in the docklands pay for a defense from flooding like London has?

The Thames Barrier prevents the floodplain of most of Greater London from being flooded by exceptionally high tides and storm surges moving up from the North Sea. It has been operational since 1982.

Advertisement