Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing temporary foreign car into Ireland

Options
  • 27-03-2019 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys.
    Does anyone have any experience regarding VRT and bringing car TEMPORARY to Ireland?

Im planing to go home for holidays in next few days and buy some car at home "EU member".
    and bring it to Ireland but only for 10 months, because then after 13yrs in here I will be leaving for good.

Do I need to register the car in here?
    seems to me bit stupid to do something like that for only few months.

I looked into it and there some "exemptions" but as always its soooo unclear.

I am in Ireland for over 10yrs and working but i have my original residence in My country and own apartment in there and also the address is in my personal ID.

Car will be registered and insured in my country and insurance should be also accepted for ireland.

Thinking only if to get it for leasing or pay in full.

can anyone help me with this please?

Thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You are not entitled to any VRT exemption for temporary importation as that applies only to non-residents. Furthermore, even if someone else imported the car temporarily, you, as an Irish resident, would not be able to borrow the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

While of course you may not get caught, if you do the Revenue will seize your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

MICHAL01 there's no option to do it legally.
    You might hope that you won't be caught, but that's bit naive in the first place.

Why do you want to bring the car here?
    You could probably bring it, and keep it in Northern Ireland legally (as you're not resident there).

Advertisement