Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Dublin airport

• 27-03-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭

I cannot use the WiFi in Dublin airport, same as last year, I can get it but cannot Google email or what's app, anyone else affected?ps not just me, 3 other people I know have the same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

horse7 wrote: »
    I cannot use the WiFi in Dublin airport, same as last year, I can get it but cannot Google email or what's app, anyone else affected?ps not just me, 3 other people I know have the same problem.

I never use it, I just use my data, I can connect but its crap anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

That's fine for us but people coming from abroad can't contact me, their roaming from Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Use it quite often - never had major problems. One of the best airport wifi's I've ever seen.
    I only had some problems outside the terminal when waiting for bus.

Can you use what's app,and use Google, I just get a message that I will not be able to send or receive what's app message s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Are you sure you have mobile data for the app turned on?

• Advertisement

Think so, I get WiFi in penny's, Dublin bus etc, but at the airport , Dublin airport WiFi,then you are unable to send or receive messages on what s. App

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 phoebees

It's suggested to use your mobile data, as the public wi-fi is never safe!

That goes without saying, there are however lots of people who do not have data and use public WiFi.

Never had any problem with Google. Don’t know about WhatsApp.

Are you sure you have mobile data for the app turned on?

Don't really understand this, you don't need to turn on mobile data to get WiFi, you need to turn on WiFi and pick which one you want or that is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Don't really understand this, you don't need to turn on mobile data to get WiFi, you need to turn on WiFi and pick which one you want or that is available.

If the WiFi is not working or sluggish you can just use your data instead and knock off the WiFi. If someone roaming needs to send a text turning on roaming data to do this won't break the bank.

Maybe I'm not being clear, some people don't have data, people from abroad may not want to use roaming, their phone may work for different bands, basically the airport WiFi should work,it either works for you or doesn't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

And that's why I'm not a mod in the technology forums :rolleyes:

If you're on Twitter there's an Ask Dublin Airport accounthttps://twitter.com/askDUBairport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've always found the Wifi in arrivals to be very patchy, basically around immigration and baggage claim.

In technical terms, at least with iPhone and likely Android, the phone has to be able to 'reach' the internet. It does this by pinging a few website addresses. In the case of Apple, it's Apple.com and similar. When it can't, it usually detects the 'pop up' you get to sign in / accept T&Cs. Once that's done, it will try ping again.

What can happen, especially in areas with lots of users (For example an entire plane waiting for baggage) in an area with very few routers available (Immigration & Baggage Claim) the system simply doesn't reply to the phone fast enough and it tries again. The result, the phone is actually online and able to use the Wifi, it just doesn't think it is because the 'ping' is failing.

Of course, if you are saying you can't use only certain sites or the problem comes and goes, I'd check the DNS your phone is using. It's likely blocked by the Wifi system in Dublin, which would be odd but not outside the realm of possibility especially on Android where some malware can do this. Ensure your DNS is set to Auto or something like Google DNS (8.8.8.8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Would you need to open your browser to agree to eir's t&c's before you connect to the actual network, May have the wifi light on like its connected but may need to do that at DA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

If you’re using an iphone make sure to go in and forget the network and then try again.

On these token or time limited networks, they sometimes muck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No restrictions mentioned, maybe try their suggestion of the app.

https://www.daa.ie/1218/

Thanks, can you please check your app link, I can't find the app, also it's dated 2012, does it still work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was in the airport on Friday.

Wifi would not work on my phone (Voda)
    Wifi worked perfectly on my wifes phone (3)

Same phones.

• Advertisement

Strange isn't it, did she have to sign in to anything? I have 3 Ireland also .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Strange isn't it, did she have to sign in to anything? I have 3 Ireland also .

Both of us went through the same process of accepting conditions. Mine said it was connected, but couldnt get onto anything

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Every time I go into the airport I disconnect my Wi-Fi, thereby using my own plan. I'm with eir & never had an issue. When I'm at home, reconnect to the home Wi-Fi, Sky , again no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

They are probably using some EU only channels rather than channels that are across all.
    For example Channel 12 and 13 can't be used by US cards on 2.4GHz so if they were to se some of the access points to those channels it would cause an issue.

When you enter the land of 5GHz it get more complicated.
    Ch 68 , 96, 114, 118-128
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

The might be seeing beacon frames from access points that have too low an RSSI to join that are out of range as the one in the area they are in are on the same channel.

Now in the airport you have Radar and this basically reduces the number of channels available for selection. The access point will detect radar and use a thing know as a dfs (not the furniture shop) channel availability check to see if it can use those channels and if it can't it will only use non DFS channels. Now it all depends if they have static channel selection or they are using a management system which is more likely the case for their access points.

Running a wifi scanner that shows what channels they are using will clear it up to be honest.

So the "same" phones you need to check what is the region of the card set to. There is probably an app you can get for that. Access points and phones have different firmware for different regions, then they have a country selection within that region that can impact what channels you can access also.

rushfan wrote: »
    Every time I go into the airport I disconnect my Wi-Fi, thereby using my own plan. I'm with eir & never had an issue. When I'm at home, reconnect to the home Wi-Fi, Sky , again no issues.

Why would you disconnect your WiFi, your phone should automatically switch to your mobile data if it cannot pick up your WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

horse7 wrote:
    Why would you disconnect your WiFi, your phone should automatically switch to your mobile data if it cannot pick up your WiFi?

It does link to the airport Wi-Fi but that's as far as I get. I've 25gb anyway so never an issue.

Same as me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

May not be the case any more, but I remember once or twice having to change my DNS provider from a hardcoded entry in my network settings (8.8.8.8) to pick up the DNS server given by DHCP to get wifi working in Dublin Airport.

Advertisement