Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein Youngblood (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just went in to preorder my copy (Yes I know I should never preorder but will be gone when it come out and my friend will collect it. €40 for the Deluxe edition. I thought this was a full game or am I missing something.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

From what I've read of this game at is sounded more like an expansion pack sized add on than a full game hence the lower price €29.99 for the standard edition of the game.

But the developers have come out and said its the largest Wolfenstein they have ever made. Might be something to do with the fact that the gameplay is now open ended.

What format did you pre-order it on, the deluxe edition can be got on PC for €34 over on Green man gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Azza wrote: »
    From what I've read of this game at is sounded more like an expansion pack sized add on than a full game hence the lower price €29.99 for the standard edition of the game.

But the developers have come out and said its the largest Wolfenstein they have ever made. Might be something to do with the fact that the gameplay is now open ended.

What format did you pre-order it on, the deluxe edition can be got on PC for €34 over on Green man gaming.

The Ps4 edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Reviews are out, 7/10 seems to be the average. I'd say this will be €10 by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Reviews are out, 7/10 seems to be the average. I'd say this will be €10 by Christmas

Wolfenstein games are always, ALWAYS discounted within a couple of months of release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Wolfenstein games are always, ALWAYS discounted within a couple of months of release.

The New Colossus took a long time to go down in price iircn - don't think it's ever gone below €25 on the PS Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SP only games are always going to plummet in price.

On the fence with this now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Admittedly I've only skim-read a few reviews, but the impression I'm getting is that the 7/10 scores are for SP, but it is a much better game played co-op with a buddy (not that 7/10 is a bad score, but yeah, that's already been done to death)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

(not that 7/10 is a bad score, but yeah, that's already been done to death)?
    Well by their own standards it actually is a bad rating because the rating system is retarded: https://youtu.be/r1humObzdVA

• It's clearly marketed as a coop experience primary. Not sure why folks were expecting it to be stellar as SP only.

It's clearly marketed as a coop experience primary. Not sure why folks were expecting it to be stellar as SP only.
    Tbf it's been marketed as fúck all which seems to be coming back to bite them now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The marketing seemed too keen to jam its trailers with neon glitches and synth dance tracks, what with the 80s being very in n all; would have helped including some actual sense of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m always super cautious when a game is “best in co-op”, because many games, even bad ones, are better in co-op. Having the craic with a friend will naturally elevate otherwise underwhelming experiences. Now obviously games designed around co-op play are often great! But especially in shooters it can be used to plaster over what’s otherwise a ho-hum experience.

Not too keen on this game anyway, really thought the last one was a pretty weak effort that didn’t maintain or build on what worked in its predecessor (which was only solid in the first place). Felt like the developers felt the need to ‘iterate’ without having a clear idea how to do it. Never did get to the end so maybe it improved (and definitely didn’t get as far as the levels flagged as highlights), but there were a lot of annoyances to push through in the stages I played through.

• Again two lead characters both fighting together in every trailer and the screens clearly indicate this.

It was built around coop. It's not an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Do not, I repeat, do not buy this game to play single player. The AI controlled ally is awful. Hold on to your money lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

saw a video that eviscerated this on youtube, the kind of review that makes you think twice even if it pops up for free
    co-op AI was probably the biggest gripe but there were many

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimli2112 wrote: »
    saw a video that eviscerated this on youtube, the kind of review that makes you think twice even if it pops up for free
    co-op AI was probably the biggest gripe but there were many

It looks like everything you shouldn't do they done. Enemies with levels, an open world so you can recycle the same areas, no fuel wielding, bulletsponge enemies with 2 separate shield types & microtransactions for weapon skins only for now but they'll eventually introduce more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Do not, I repeat, do not buy this game to play single player. The AI controlled ally is awful. Hold on to your money lads.

I'm playing it single player, the AI is terrible. Left 4 Dead came out 11 years ago and it's lightyears ahead. However, the enemy AI is also pants, so it's not really an issue. I just ignore the AI and just put up with having to wait for a few seconds to open doors/crates etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Was semi interested in this , not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Was semi interested in this , not now.

Pretty much all the big Youtube game reviewers such as Angry Joe, Worth A Buy, Angry Centaur Gaming and Upper Echelon Gamers along with Steam and Metacritic user reviews have shat on this game from a height. Personally, the main characters constant "Duuddee" and "Brooooo" stick every time you kill an enemy was enough to write this title off.

it must be painful for devs to arrive at the end of a project and realise they have a steaming pile of crap. There must have been a significant number of stakeholders that realised this but the solution is to release it cheaply and with micro-transactions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The professional reviews don't say it's a steaming pile of crap. They say it's great fun if flawed and buggy.

It seems it just doesn't live up to the high bar set by the two games that came before that but in the internet outrage age it's enough to label it as a war crime.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The professional reviews don't say it's a steaming pile of crap. They say it's great fun if flawed and buggy.

It seems it just doesn't live up to the high bar set by the two games that came before that but in the internet outrage age it's enough to label it as a war crime.

I only watched the video Dcully put up earlier and that certainly doesn't portray it as great fun. I haven't played or seen much of it myself. I really liked the first one (around 2016) but the next two were very meh imo and what I've seen (limited to the vid above) is extremely negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Whenever I see gameplay I look at someone shooting a soldier, drone or whatever and it's more similar to the division than Wolfenstein. Stay shooting until the health bar drops to zero & move on, avoid if he's more than a few levels above your character build or change your weapon for enemies with different armor. Doesn't sound like fun, look like fun or I imagine play like fun either. Bethesda I have faith in to screw up DOOM & Wolfenstein although they can't milk them dry as much as they did Fallout & Elder Scrolls. They probably already started the ill will last week with this & the DOOM ports login crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's far from total crap and I've seen very few proper reviews label it anything remotely like that either. Playing it co-op with a friend and it's good fun. Obviously, playing solo with AI would probably be a bit rubbish, but the game wasn't really built that way, similar to something like Left4Dead.

Sisters voice acting doesn't really bother me either, it's not as overdone as the above video suggests.

If you have friends to play it with, it's worth the reasonable asking price of €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

was gonna buy tonight? Am I holding on to my cash so? Why in the name of Jayziz did they put a levelling system on the enemies? Like who asked for that? Part of the fun was blowing nazis away in awesome gunfights! So dissappointed, like who thought of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

was gonna buy tonight? Am I holding on to my cash so? Why in the name of Jayziz did they put a levelling system on the enemies? Like who asked for that? Part of the fun was blowing nazis away in awesome gunfights! So dissappointed, like who thought of this

They did this for one reason, it makes it possible to add micro transactions into a single player game.
    My favourite game of the last few years was Wolfenstein: The New Order and I really liked Wolfenstein 2 also. I was looking forward to this but it looks like a steaming pile of garbage.

Im finding lately you can't trust most large review sites anymore for games reviews as they usually seem more interested in politics than actually gaming.

Advertisement