Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Motors limerick

• 27-03-2019 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Anyone ever work in the limerick General Motors offices, doing software development? If so what’s the company like to work for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i have a friend who works there. dont know a whole lot but he likes it. Good on the CV to have that company at the very least

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have a look at something like glassdoor to find out a bit about them.

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/General-Motors-Reviews-E279.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Engine Limerick were certainly hiring up until recently. From talking to people in the Industry a job there would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

It doesn't look like a great place to work from those reviews & hope you are not a women as they seem sexes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what exactly is it they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

I have an interview for here on Monday, the reviews look mixed, was wondering if anyone has personally worked here. I am not a woman. They do software development there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stphn84

Fulltime staff feel insecure with the number of apprentices and management cater to these insecurities by insuring apprentices are treated poorly. Examples below:

May 2018 I was told by the ASD manager "ex Dell employees control the hiring/promotion/firing. That their latest victim was her previous boss in Dell."

June 2018 an apprentice was stressed and told me they were ready for the cliffs. When I brought this to the attention of management I was told "Stephen you've been in GM Two years it's normal to leave your first job after two years."

July 2018 an apprentice came to my desk crying because she was reported to HR for asking for too much help. I took her to the kitchen area were she continued to cry. The apprentice's manager saw their apprentice crying went to the fridge took out milk and left without asking the apprentice if they were okay. The manager was aware that their apprentice had been to HR.

Finally there is a massive difference in the amount apprentices are paid so do check in with all the apprentices (including Dublin) to insure your getting a good deal, otherwise you'll get the bare minimum and be asked to do extra for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I wouldn't even attend the interview based on Glassdoor if I were you. No free coffee is a symptom of a cheapskate company there only for the tax breaks.

Strangely enough, Jaguar Land-rover out in Shannon are hiring and their advertised salaries are about half what they should be for the skills they are looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

John_Mc wrote: »
    I wouldn't even attend the interview based on Glassdoor if I were you. No free coffee is a symptom of a cheapskate company there only for the tax breaks.

Strangely enough, Jaguar Land-rover out in Shannon are hiring and their advertised salaries are about half what they should be for the skills they are looking for

Thats because the cost of living here is lower than Dublin lets say, that is what I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thats because the cost of living here is lower than Dublin lets say, that is what I've been told.

Of course they'll say that. Doesn't mean they'll fill roles paying half the market rate for experienced developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Of course they'll say that. Doesn't mean they'll fill roles paying half the market rate for experienced developers.

It's not just them though, every company that I have come across are paying below the average or dublin average for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cheapskate company there only for the tax breaks.

in laymans speak...how does that work?

Advertisement