Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bedroom very stuffy

• 28-03-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hi apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, I'm not sure where my question is best suited.

Some background: I live in a top floor 11 year old apartment,
    block. it is a 2 bed. lived here for 9 years. no issues with heating insulation, I would say it is is well insulated with a good BER rating.

The issue is the bedroom at night. My wife and I wake up with our noses congested badly and it is really affecting our quality of sleep. Waking up a lot because of it. in the morning after i get up it takes about 30 mins for congestion to clear as I go about my day. We have being using a humidifier and keep a window open. We have changed the curtains and bedding. We are thinking of changing carpet as it is 9 years old. Does anyone think this would help. we vacuum it weekly, if not more. It is clean and in reasonably good condition.
    The room has an en suite but there is no evidence of mould anywhere.
    ( I did a blood test and have no dust mite allergy)

Other than changing carpet, is there anything else we could try? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

This may be a medical issue (I'm having the same problems).

I'd suggest starting with your GP - it may simply be a mild infection.

After that, I'd be thinking of a broader allergy test (e.g. for pollen, food intolerances, animal, etc.) and perhaps an ENT review (Ear Nose & Throat).

If you are not allergic to house dust, then I wouldn't rush to change the carpets.

Regarding the humidifier, I'm not clear what you want to achieve - and these can be a source of bacteria, unless the system is kept clean. There should be ample moisture in the air from the open window and your own breath. Perhaps start with turning this off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

carbon monoxide alarm just to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Having the window open and using a humidifier makes no sense. Get a cheap digital hygrometer to see what the relative humidity is in the room, anything lower than 40% is too dry, over 60% might be too high but if you feel the air is too dry you should be aiming to try keep it up around the 60% mark. You will have to open windows during the day to air out the room and get the humidity back down to avoid mould forming.

For reference, having central heating on in a well insulated room could bring the relative humidity down to 30% especially during the cold dry weather we sometimes get in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Turn off the dehumidifier (dry air causing stuffiness). Leave the window open an inch. Works for our family ( well insulated, centrally heated house) We never turn on the rads in the bedrooms and close the doors to stop heat loss from the rest of the house - preferring chilly air / snug duvet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Turn off the dehumidifier (dry air causing stuffiness). Leave the window open an inch. Works for our family ( well insulated, centrally heated house) We never turn on the rads in the bedrooms and close the doors to stop heat loss from the rest of the house - preferring chilly air / snug duvet.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fyi the OP has a humidifier not a dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Our girl had a similar thing with the congestion, we changed her mattress to a latex one and got rid of stuffed toys that were made from man made fibers, one or both of those did the trick.

Advertisement