Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

silverharp wrote: »
    its simpler to use and I like the idea behind it that the weight is more centered and not having to lift a bar that has to go around the knees.

this article by Greg Nuckols was very positive about it

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

That's about conventional deadlifts v trap bar dls. I understand your motivation already there, but politely disagree it's the right thing to do.

I've never heard of anyone doing RDLs with a trap bar.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

its simpler to use and I like the idea behind it that the weight is more centered and not having to lift a bar that has to go around the knees.

this article by Greg Nuckols was very positive about it

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

That's related to deadlifts though and not RDLs, which are different. The hip hinge isn't the same, albeit you could argue the toss about the degree by which the hip hinge moment is better but given that that's the reason you'd do an RDL, then it makes more sense to do the one that works the hips (and hamstrings) more

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

i just find trap bar more comfortable and get a better feel from it. Much the same that i prefer doing rdl's with dumbbells than with a normal bar, but trap bar allows me to load the weight a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Brian? wrote: »
    That's about conventional deadlifts v trap bar dls. I understand your motivation already there, but politely disagree it's the right thing to do.

I've never heard of anyone doing RDLs with a trap bar.

Ill be honest I didn't do any particular research for trying an RDL style lift with the hexbar but its only a smaller part of the exercise so for convenience its easier to mix them in. Some people are doing them though as it comes up in searches, with comments along the line that ti is similar to a Dumbbell RDL. Would you see an advantage in a Dumbbell RDL?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ill be honest I didn't do any particular research for trying an RDL style lift with the hexbar but its only a smaller part of the exercise so for convenience its easier to mix them in. Some people are doing them though as it comes up in searches, with comments along the line that ti is similar to a Dumbbell RDL. Would you see an advantage in a Dumbbell RDL?

I don’t really see the advantage of using DBs. After a while most gyms won’t have heavy enough DBs to perform the movement.

I just don’t fully get the problem with using a straight bar. It’s not the most technical lift in the world. In fact the default “bad” deadlift is close to an RDL.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t really see the advantage of using DBs. After a while most gyms won’t have heavy enough DBs to perform the movement.

I just don’t fully get the problem with using a straight bar. It’s not the most technical lift in the world. In fact the default “bad” deadlift is close to an RDL.
    why does loading (heavy enough dumbbells) have to be the primary reason to select a lift?

Repetition without repetition at 80% + effort can be achieved without a straight bar on deadlifts or hip hinge movements e.g. KB swings etc

Overall, yes use a bar but with many of the people we work with we're happy to use a range of different non-straight bar options because they're not that interested in getting absolutely stronger and only care about being strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Transform wrote: »
    Repetition without repetition at 80% + effort can be achieved without a straight bar on deadlifts or hip hinge movements e.g. KB swings etc

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with KB swings. But I very very much doubt they are often loaded to 80%+ in anyone who is halfways strong.
    That's what, a 6-8rep max range?

Edit:
    No reason why they couldn’t be btw. Purely a factor of availability of weights

Getting the odd sore feeling in my knees when leg pressing or sometimes squatting. I quit straight away if I get any bad feeling.

How can I make my knees catch up with my legs, which are decently strong because of my job? I've never had issues with my knees.

Edit: I'll just go to the physio on Wednesday. My brother knows a good one.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with KB swings. But I very very much doubt they are often loaded to 80%+ in anyone who is halfways strong.
    That's what, a 6-8rep max range?

Edit:
    No reason why they couldn’t be btw. Purely a factor of availability of weights
    its just another hip hinge option which should be one of about 10 people should be picking from, adequate loading + frequency is more important that overall loading

Based on what i see in most commercial gyms - most don't train with enough variety, frequency and when they do load its off either too light or always at close to max (90%+)

Getting the odd sore feeling in my knees when leg pressing or sometimes squatting. I quit straight away if I get any bad feeling.

How can I make my knees catch up with my legs, which are decently strong because of my job? I've never had issues with my knees.

Edit: I'll just go to the physio on Wednesday. My brother knows a good one.
    what does your couch stretch look like?

• Advertisement

its just another hip hinge option which should be one of about 10 people should be picking from, adequate loading + frequency is more important that overall loading

Based on what i see in most commercial gyms - most don't train with enough variety, frequency and when they do load its off either too light or always at close to max (90%+)

Don't disagree with any of that. People pull way too many 1-3 rep deadlifts and test too often. Hips suffer from lack of volume more than most other groups.

KB swings are a great move. I just don't see them ay 80%+ much.
    I think my gym tops out at 36kg, maybe seen the odd 40kg about.
    What would the average guy rep with a 24kg or 32kg?
    I've no idea, suppose I should test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Don't disagree with any of that. People pull way too many 1-3 rep deadlifts and test too often. Hips suffer from lack of volume more than most other groups.

Given my qualms with my squat documented on this thread, I'm going to switch to KB swings and front KB squat with volume for a few weeks so I'll happily testify to how many reps I'm able to hit on 24kg starting off - be interested in having a comparison

Reckon 3x15 to start off with both?

what does your couch stretch look like?

After a 30-second Youtube search, I think this is what you're looking for.

xNPk1Nm.png

zOdHC1i.png

Quads a bit tight but the move itself felt fine.

After a 30-second Youtube search, I think this is what you're looking for.

xNPk1Nm.png

zOdHC1i.png

Quads a bit tight but the move itself felt fine.
    pigeon stretch look ok also?

that not the point of using the KB swing - its not about doing super heavy KB swings its about using the movement as a way to hinge on a day that allows for less loading yet still getting reps in, much the same way as if you did revers hypers, back extensions, leg curls etc

Overall if you want to get stronger on any movement what is comes down to is trying to get as much volume in as possible (hitting a muscle group once per week has repeatedly been shown to be suboptimal) without burning out, therefore if we hit the post. chain three times per week we might only have one of those days loaded fairly heavy with some deadlift variation eg. week 1 - banded DL at 80% of training max 3reps, week 2- paused DL at 70% of training max, 3reps, week 3 - deficit DL at 80% of training max 3reps, week 4 - conventional dL at 90% of max 1-2reps

All other days that hit posterior chain should have you working hard but the loading is significantly reduced as compared to a deadlift or its direct variants.

All of the above can be applied to the ant. chain lower and also upper body overall also.

Yes there should be periods of over reaching but looking for that in every single movement is limiting and 80% of most peoples training should be just about getting reps in at submax with very occasional periods of heavy loading

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

that not the point of using the KB swing - its not about doing super heavy KB swings its about using the movement as a way to hinge on a day that allows for less loading yet still getting reps in, much the same way as if you did revers hypers, back extensions, leg curls etc

Overall if you want to get stronger on any movement what is comes down to is trying to get as much volume in as possible (hitting a muscle group once per week has repeatedly been shown to be suboptimal) without burning out, therefore if we hit the post. chain three times per week we might only have one of those days loaded fairly heavy with some deadlift variation eg. week 1 - banded DL at 80% of training max 3reps, week 2- paused DL at 70% of training max, 3reps, week 3 - deficit DL at 80% of training max 3reps, week 4 - conventional dL at 90% of max 1-2reps

All other days that hit posterior chain should have you working hard but the loading is significantly reduced as compared to a deadlift or its direct variants.

All of the above can be applied to the ant. chain lower and also upper body overall also.

Yes there should be periods of over reaching but looking for that in every single movement is limiting and 80% of most peoples training should be just about getting reps in at submax with very occasional periods of heavy loading

I think some of it stems from what might be a slight misread of "Repetition without repetition at 80% + effort can be achieved without a straight bar on deadlifts or hip hinge movements e.g. KB swings etc " because I thought initially you meant KB swings were an option for movements at 80%+.

But 100% get what you're saying now.

pigeon stretch look ok also?

Won't have time to check before physio. Booked in tomorrow morning and will do whatever stretches and strength exercises are recommended.

Felt a tiny bit of pain a couple of times during my probably 70 floors of stairs up and down today. Never had that before.

Deadlifts are basically my favourite things in life right now and I'd be gutted to not be able to do them. The only exercise that has ever given that rush of endorphins or whatever they are, which I thought was a myth.

I think some of it stems from what might be a slight misread of "Repetition without repetition at 80% + effort can be achieved without a straight bar on deadlifts or hip hinge movements e.g. KB swings etc " because I thought initially you meant KB swings were an option for movements at 80%+.

But 100% get what you're saying now.
    cool

Won't have time to check before physio. Booked in tomorrow morning and will do whatever stretches and strength exercises are recommended.

Felt a tiny bit of pain a couple of times during my probably 70 floors of stairs up and down today. Never had that before.

Deadlifts are basically my favourite things in life right now and I'd be gutted to not be able to do them. The only exercise that has ever given that rush of endorphins or whatever they are, which I thought was a myth.
    theres very little knee bending in deadlifts so i would be surprised you wouldnt be able to do them

I had a client in yesterday with medial ligament damage to right knee - was still deadlifting no issues but obviously reduced loading.

Overall, if its not directly a mobility issue then its more likely due to programming - loading, recovery, intensity etc

Just to come back on this - did sets of squats and KB swings with a 24kg yesterday and while I did 3x15 with the swings, only managed 3x12 with the squats though there's more in me

Reckon I'll up the weight to 30KG plus and hit the same numbers next week and work up towards 3x20, 3x25

I reckon my squat form is not good so holding the KB in front seems better for forcing me to squeeze my shoulder blades back when there isn't the force of a bar up on them.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Just to come back on this - did sets of squats and KB swings with a 24kg yesterday and while I did 3x15 with the swings, only managed 3x12 with the squats though there's more in me

Reckon I'll up the weight to 30KG plus and hit the same numbers next week and work up towards 3x20, 3x25

I reckon my squat form is not good so holding the KB in front seems better for forcing me to squeeze my shoulder blades back when there isn't the force of a bar up on them.
    great and make sure you have breathing locked in as i explain here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9XL5H5agw breathing part at about 1min in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9XL5H5agw

Also dont forget to do other leg exercises on other days - lunges, step ups, split squats etc

theres very little knee bending in deadlifts so i would be surprised you wouldnt be able to do them

I had a client in yesterday with medial ligament damage to right knee - was still deadlifting no issues but obviously reduced loading.

Overall, if its not directly a mobility issue then its more likely due to programming - loading, recovery, intensity etc

Tight quads, some scarring or something on the patellar tendons because the quads are pulling them I think he said. And a small bit of hip misalignment. Nothing major.

Stretches for now and will do physio maybe two times a week for a couple of months. He said deadlifts are fine but I shouldn't do leg press or squats for a while. No pain in day-to-day life.

Tight quads, some scarring or something on the patellar tendons because the quads are pulling them I think he said. And a small bit of hip misalignment. Nothing major.

Stretches for now and will do physio maybe two times a week for a couple of months. He said deadlifts are fine but I shouldn't do leg press or squats for a while. No pain in day-to-day life.
    hold up - "physio 2/week for few months" really?

If the physio cant make a significant improvement in 4-5 sessions total then you're going to the wrong person.

Unless youre rehabbing a major surgery then months of physio is most certainly not needed that often

hold up - "physio 2/week for few months" really?

If the physio cant make a significant improvement in 4-5 sessions total then you're going to the wrong person.

Unless youre rehabbing a major surgery then months of physio is most certainly not needed that often

I figured I'd treat this as an early 30s sort of check up on general body stuff.. I don't mind doing it for a few months if my body is better prepared for later life.

My hips are misaligned. I can feel that even lying down flat on the table. Most weight on the left buttock, right foot hanging out more than the left when told to lie flat.

Do you reckon it's worth doing work now? My brother has issues, and my dad has really bad problems. Just feel like a few months wouldn't be a bad option. It's only 35euro a session

I figured I'd treat this as an early 30s sort of check up on general body stuff.. I don't mind doing it for a few months if my body is better prepared for later life.

My hips are misaligned. I can feel that even lying down flat on the table. Most weight on the left buttock, right foot hanging out more than the left when told to lie flat.

Do you reckon it's worth doing work now? My brother has issues, and my dad has really bad problems. Just feel like a few months wouldn't be a bad option. It's only 35euro a session

Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Where do you live?

OOh, let me test my Boards trivia knowledge.

Thailand! (Over that direction anyway) and a Teacher.

I actually thought it be cheaper over yonder.

great and make sure you have breathing locked in as i explain here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9XL5H5agw breathing part at about 1min in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9XL5H5agw

Also dont forget to do other leg exercises on other days - lunges, step ups, split squats etc

Didn't see this initially, haven't been online in a few days but will check them out.

It's worth mentioning that my right hip flexor has been tight all week, stretching hasn't really helped but I reckon it's running 9k the day after doing KB swings and KB Squats in one session - reckon my squat technique is poor tbh so I'm going to try switch to leg press, KB swings, lunges & split squats like you say and just lay off the squat movement for a bit.

When I do return to squatting, I reckon I'll view it as starting from scratch & look to post a video here for some feedback because I clearly have hip problems, no issues with Deadlift, but the squat movement seems to be a cause of trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ok. This is gonna sound a bit stupid :)

So I got back into a gym recently and I'm noticing their resistance machines have individual limbs that weight can be added onto. So when I'm doing a curl with my right leg, the left leg is down and that weight isnt moving. So when tracking my workout, do I only track the weight per limb, or add both? So if I've 22.5kg in each limb, do I track it as 22.5kg or 45 kg?

Ok. This is gonna sound a bit stupid :)

So I got back into a gym recently and I'm noticing their resistance machines have individual limbs that weight can be added onto. So when I'm doing a curl with my right leg, the left leg is down and that weight isnt moving. So when tracking my workout, do I only track the weight per limb, or add both? So if I've 22.5kg in each limb, do I track it as 22.5kg or 45 kg?

Both options are fine. Whatever works for you.

For example, I track my dumbbell presses as 27.5kg, the weight per hand. I’m looking to move to 30kg. But I could just as easy call that 55kg looking to move to 60kg. Same effect either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cheers man. I think I'll go per limb so.

Advertisement