Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks - I'm considering trying this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1E5CfRfos

Here is the split - what do you all reckon of it? There is no way I'll be doing the handstand pushups though!

All of the things

Yeah the purpose of each set of exercises seems reasonable. Personally, I would probably keep them a bit simpler...I'd have to Google too much of that to figure out what the f**k I was to be doing.

But the layout in terms of the principle of the exercises seems decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Struggling to complete the following exercises in my home:

UPPER PULL (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
    Pullups OR Seated Pullups
    Inverted Chin Curls

UPPER PULL x 3 ROUNDS
    Chin Ups OR Seated Chin Ups
    Inverted Rows Back Widows

Anyone know what I could replace them with as I've no way of doing pull-ups in the house?

Struggling to complete the following exercises in my home:

UPPER PULL (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
    Pullups OR Seated Pullups
    Inverted Chin Curls

UPPER PULL x 3 ROUNDS
    Chin Ups OR Seated Chin Ups
    Inverted Rows Back Widows

Anyone know what I could replace them with as I've no way of doing pull-ups in the house?

Get some bands and you can do some vertical and horizontal pull/row movements done once you can anchor it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

https://www.elitefts.com/education/home-gym-and-at-home-workouts/

Elite FTS grouped a load of their at home workouts by equipment available. Handy resource at the moment.

Get some bands and you can do some vertical and horizontal pull/row movements done once you can anchor it.

Dammit, it will be at least a week before I can get those.

• Advertisement

Dammit, it will be at least a week before I can get those.

Could you do inverted rows with your table?

Could you do inverted rows with your table?

Nope, tried it and the table is not steady enough. It's a cheap item.

Just realised that all deliveries are now quoting 30th April as they are in lock down.

I've found these dumbells. Big ones are 2.3kg and small ones are 1.1kg. Can I do anything with them? The collars on them are awful so swinging them about is off limits.

Just realised that all deliveries are now quoting 30th April as they are in lock down.

I've found these dumbells. Big ones are 2.3kg and small ones are 1.1kg. Can I do anything with them? The collars on them are awful so swinging them about is off limits.

Rows. You wont be able to substitute the chin ups etc with them but it is what it is. You just have to do what you can with what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Rows can also be done from underneath a chair, or with a broom/stick laid across two chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Throwback to when we thought the gym would be the best place to be during the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any recommendations for decent home kettlebell workouts.
    Something relatively hard, with some sort of progression rather than just killing yourself with an AMRAP type.
    No pull-up bar at home, gonna try find one nearby though. I carries are overlooked by most.

Currently looking at

Simple & Sinister: 10 x 10 KB Swings , 10 x 2 Turkish Get-Ups
    Swing, Run, Carry, Run, Swing, Run, Carry, Run, Swing - (thinking maybe 2 x 10 swings, 100-200m run, 50-100m carry)
    5 min snatch test. This is grim, but I keep going back to it. Never quite got to SFG/RKC standard

Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Where would I get dumbbells (pair of 10kg) and a bench now at a decent price. Most online stores have nothing in stock!

What equipment have you got now that the gyms have closed?

Where would I get dumbbells (pair of 10kg) and a bench now at a decent price. Most online stores have nothing in stock!

What equipment have you got now that the gyms have closed?

Adverts or Done Deal. Got something from Gymless on Adverts the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

One thing I've seen with so many people running is a few people running in hoodies with the hood up and pants, covered in sweat

Is sweating like that better for you than if you did the same exercise with only a normal level of sweat?

One thing I've seen with so many people running is a few people running in hoodies with the hood up and pants, covered in sweat

Is sweating like that better for you than if you did the same exercise with only a normal level of sweat?

Maybe if you were in the closing stages of a cut for a fight or something but otherwise it makes no difference to the average Joe.

Is there not some argument that by wearing a hoodie you're increasing your body temperature, which increases your heart rate as it tries to cool you down, which in turn burns more calories?

Not disagreeing with you, I don't know the answer, just curious

Is there not some argument that by wearing a hoodie you're increasing your body temperature, which increases your heart rate as it tries to cool you down, which in turn burns more calories?

Not disagreeing with you, I don't know the answer, just curious

Yes that's correct. But the actual calorie burn is minimal which is why it makes no difference to the average Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Adverts or Done Deal. Got something from Gymless on Adverts the other day.

How did you get it? Picking up and receiving items like this is surely breaking the restrictions currently in place.

How did you get it? Picking up and receiving items like this is surely breaking the restrictions currently in place.

Post/courier

• Advertisement

What is the effect of not eating enough carbs during the day?

I started tracking my macros recently using myfitnesspal app given that I've more free time, and today for example my protein and fat were ok but i was 90g short of my carbs target

Is that a lot to be off by? Is it better or worse to have less carbs than my target?

I started tracking my macros recently using myfitnesspal app given that I've more free time, and today for example my protein and fat were ok but i was 90g short of my carbs target

Is that a lot to be off by? Is it better or worse to have less carbs than my target?

Most people keep protein constant and then manipulate carbs and fat in the way that suits them within their calorie 'allowance'.

So you could have 150g protein, 250g carbs and 100g fat or 150g protein, 200g carbs and 120g fat and you have an almost identical calorie intake.

The targets are just fixed by default so I wouldn't worry about it once calorie count is in the area it needs to be and protein is constant

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's your goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I read a list of how long I should do and what type of exercise, now I can't find it, so what kinds of exercises should I be doing and for how long as a beginner with little space or flexibility?

What tricks do people use to stave off boredom when using their stationary bike? reading/tv watching isn't an option.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bredabe wrote: »
    reading/tv watching isn't an option.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Bredabe wrote: »
    What tricks do people use to stave off boredom when using their stationary bike?.

Banging tunes
    Podcasts
    Audiobooks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Swift app, race other people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

For Russian Twists using a plate, is it better to have your feet planted or lifted?

As with most approaches, there are arguments for both online which sound reasonable. What's your preference?

For Russian Twists using a plate, is it better to have your feet planted or lifted?

As with most approaches, there are arguments for both online which sound reasonable. What's your preference?

Feet off the ground is more challenging but it also may mean that if you're not stable enough then you won't work the muscles you want to.

I anchor my feet cos I can feel the right areas being worked that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Where do people like getting their Creatine from?

Looking for 100% Creatine Monohydrate, have heard bad things, for example, and MyProtein.

Thanks!

Advertisement