Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions just working out my program for rest of week , what's the consensus on programming core work in a training program that includes compound lifts. Do you get enough core work from the compounds? If the answer is no , how often would you train core if doing a 4 day plan ? Thanks .

I wouldn't overdo it but I'd certainly throw some in. I know Brian Alsruhe usually includes core work in his strength giant set and it doesn't negatively effect him so that's an option.

I think most people would throw it in at the end of the session if they have time. With that approach I prefer doing it on my squat and deadlift day if I'm not doing everyday. Would typically do three or four sets of planks, ab rollouts, dragonflags etc things of that intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In theory you work your core hard in compounds but I don't think that's necessarily true. Perhaps not to the extent that it should be and sometimes improperly. Or both. And not having a strong core might be a cause of that too.

I like to add some in at the end. Rotate exercises every few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I like to add some in at the end. Rotate exercises every few weeks

Except for Ab Rollouts. Never take those out. It only leads to pain when you go back to them...

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Except for Ab Rollouts. Never take those out. It only leads to pain when you go back to them...

Well, yeah. I'm scared to drop those out now :pac:

I'm doing more ab work now during the lockdown workouts and they're included in every workout. I've changed the other 2...left the rollouts.

I dont do core work and I definitely don't get enough from compounds haha
    Squish in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dont do core work and I definitely don't get enough from compounds haha
    Squish in the middle

I found a great new core exercise last week. I press a child over my head and walk around the living room. The children need to be willing participants and preferably your own.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I've been slowly building up with ab rollouts since the start of January and those god-awful DOMS are a thing of the past.

So I decided to progress to standing ab rollout negatives....just starting from standing and rolling out, knees to floor and back like the second part of a normal rollout from the knees. Sets of 8. Said I'd take it easy.

DOMS. Actually, there wasn't much of a delay so OMS. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I've been slowly building up with ab rollouts since the start of January and those god-awful DOMS are a thing of the past.

So I decided to progress to standing ab rollout negatives....just starting from standing and rolling out, knees to floor and back like the second part of a normal rollout from the knees. Sets of 8. Said I'd take it easy.

DOMS. Actually, there wasn't much of a delay so OMS. FFS.

Is an ab roller better than a barbell ? I've done a few ab rollouts with barbell and some 2.5kg plates on it , stopped doing them because after a few I could feel it hurt my lower back more than my abs

Is an ab roller better than a barbell ? I've done a few ab rollouts with barbell and some 2.5kg plates on it , stopped doing them because after a few I could feel it hurt my lower back more than my abs

Could do them with a barbell. Same principle.

If you're getting lower back pain, you might well be letting your lower back go into extension and thats putting stress on it. You can work on that with bracing and building up to doing a full one

If you're getting lower back pain, you might well be letting your lower back go into extension and thats putting stress on it. You can work on that with bracing and building up to doing a full one

Yeah my first attempt at them was 3 sets of 15 :eek: wondering why i was in such pain. I'll give them another go cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Worst ab doms of my life was from an ab roller last year. I’m pretty sure they lasted 2 weeks.

Yeah my first attempt at them was 3 sets of 15 :eek: wondering why i was in such pain. I'll give them another go cheers.

Start with lower reps.

If you start with 3 sets of 15 incorrectly, you'll likely have some pain in your lower back.

If you start with 3 sets of 15 done correctly, you'll have horrendous DOMS.

Ease into it. Do sets of 5. If you're finding it difficult to brace and letting your hips sag, then shorten the range of motion. Don't go all the way out ..even using something to stop against at the range you're comfortable with (like here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsddJHsSv4). Build from there.

Some movements look like they should be straightforward but can quite easily be done wrong and give little/no benefit. Better to work your way up from lower reps even with a shorter ROM if necessary but doing them right and then you have a strong foundation for a really good movement.

Same principle as you'd do with a squat except with a less of a stark realisation that you've jumped in beyond where you should :pac:

Great idea that using a wall thanks. Yeah I decided to never touch that exercise again after 3 sets of 15 , I'll give it a few short sets of 3-5 with up against a wall and progress it by moving away .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is barbell press supposed to be "easier" than dumbbell press?

For example, I could press X kg with ease on a barbell, and could probably add on 10kg or so to that before I get to my limit.

If I split X in 2 and do dumbbell presses instead (with each dumbbell being half of X) then I struggle mightily.

Is that normal?

For example, I could press X kg with ease on a barbell, and could probably add on 10kg or so to that before I get to my limit.

If I split X in 2 and do dumbbell presses instead (with each dumbbell being half of X) then I struggle mightily.

Is that normal?

Yeah. You wouldn't typically be doing the same.

The barbell is more stable so with dumbbells the muscles used to stabilise come into play as well. What kind of difference are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Is that normal?

It's a much more unstable lift. In terms of strict pressing what you're experiencing is very normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Worst ab doms of my life was from an ab roller last year. I’m pretty sure they lasted 2 weeks.

Very much this! Worst muscle cramp ever from a roller, it’s a killer (that’s why I do them ever few days!)

I gotta ask this rather embarrassing question , I tried barbell shrugs as they where programmed but how is this comfortable without your manhood getting in the way !!, I don't have heavy enough dumbells yet , any alternative way to do exercise I expect your supposed to keep barbell close to body as possible .?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

I gotta ask this rather embarrassing question , I tried barbell shrugs as they where programmed but how is this comfortable without your manhood getting in the way !!, I don't have heavy enough dumbells yet , any alternative way to do exercise I expect your supposed to keep barbell close to body as possible .?

Lean forward a little, will hit traps etc better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Behind the back barbell shrug.

You could also widen or narrow your grip and see how that is.

• Advertisement

If you've ever watched Silence Of The Lambs, try tucking like Buffalo Bill.

Or else just lean forward a touch.

I'd recommend getting comfortable with failing the barbells. I practiced it a bit for flat and incline so I don't have that fear of being trapped.

Only works to a point, but if you're at the point of dying under a bar, you likely know what you're doing.

I was doing deficit deadlifts earlier off a 5inch platform I made but can't get bar to touch shin as there is now no room for feet to get fully under, is this an injury risk?, it felt a little awkward lifting with bar over toes like id less strength out there but it could also be harder because of its a deficit lift ? I have largest dimeter plates on. Obvious solution is make a smaller platform but are you losing benefit of doing the exercise ? Thanks

I was doing deficit deadlifts earlier off a 5inch platform I made but can't get bar to touch shin as there is now no room for feet to get fully under, is this an injury risk?, it felt a little awkward lifting with bar over toes like id less strength out there but it could also be harder because of its a deficit lift ? I have largest dimeter plates on. Obvious solution is make a smaller platform but are you losing benefit of doing the exercise ? Thanks

There's no need for a deficit of 5".

4" is probably the upper end but 2-3" is still plenty. Like any or the variations, the variation itself doesn't need to be drastically different to be an effective variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

5" is an insane deficit. Why have you gone that high?

1"-2" should be better to start off with. Any more than 2" and you risk the movement pattern straying too far from the normal ROM deadlift to have any proper carryover.

How is your form on 5". Like, can you keep your back neutral?

1"-2" should be better to start off with. Any more than 2" and you risk the movement pattern straying too far from the normal ROM deadlift to have any proper carryover.

I must of misread something or just wrongly assumed that I needed to be up higher.
    Yeah I kept my back neutral my hips where much lower bent at the knees more but back was ok , maybe I'm doing the whole exercise wrong I dunno .I'll lower to 2 inch

It felt more like 2 movements first one was to stand up then second half was getting my hips forward

The bit in bold is the reason why going higher doesn't make for a better variation. You just need to make certain parts of the lift a little harder with a deficit deadlift.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Totally agree with the guys.

A good option to stay consistent is just throw a bumper plate or similar of the desired thickness on the ground, if you don't have anything more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

My thoughts exactly.
    It felt more like 2 movements first one was to stand up then second half was getting my hips forward

Oh that doesn't sound healthy.

All of these deadlift variations pose more potential problems than benefits imo. I've just started to stick with a good old fashioned conventional deadlift and try to get/keep my form right on that each time...too many injuries/twinges doing variations (RDL being the worst) convinced me.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

Oh that doesn't sound healthy.

All of these deadlift variations pose more potential problems than benefits imo. I've just started to stick with a good old fashioned conventional deadlift and try to get/keep my form right on that each time...too many injuries/twinges doing variations (RDL being the worst) convinced me.

RDL was on my list to add , my reading is it's a good exercise.

Advertisement