Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

new2tri19 wrote: »
    One aspect of training I'm struggling with is the build up to a rep max attempt . Did a bit of googling and couldn't find anything concrete I guess it's individual but let's say you had to find your 5 rep max for bench which you guessed be about 100kg ( just using round numbers to make it easier ) .
    How many warm up lifts before max rep attempt ?

Which of these would be better or neither . For 105 5 rep max attempt.
    A - 50 X 10, 60 X 5 , 70 X 3 , 80 X 2, 90 X 1 .. Max rep attempt
    B- 50 X 10 , 60 X 5 , 70 X 3 , 90 X 1 , 110 X 1.... Max rep attempt

I'm just thinking in any other sports I do before an FTP test or time trial or swim tt I'd always do an interval faster than planned pace so that the pace of the test feels easier does that apply to weightlifting? Obviously though this method wouldn't work on 1 rep max attempts . Would the heavier rep take too much out of you ?

Thanks

I definitely wouldn't go for the second approach, that would essentially be using an approach of top single and then working sets after, rather than a "warm up". Also I generally try to make the jumps smaller as I go along, so for instance I had a top single on deadlift yesterday, warm ups went 70/120/170/220/250 and then top single of 265. For bench the jumps would be smaller by necessity but it would be bar/70/100/120 for the first few and then I judge the next set based on how 120 moved and the RPE for the single.

Could you maybe try 50x10, 70x5, 85x3 and 95x1 or something similar? That way, you're conserving energy and time on warm ups, while also having a last warm up that is close enough to possibly judge what to go for the top set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One aspect of training I'm struggling with is the build up to a rep max attempt . Did a bit of googling and couldn't find anything concrete I guess it's individual but let's say you had to find your 5 rep max for bench which you guessed be about 100kg ( just using round numbers to make it easier ) .

I'm just thinking in any other sports I do before an FTP test or time trial or swim tt I'd always do an interval faster than planned pace so that the pace of the test feels easier does that apply to weightlifting? Obviously though this method wouldn't work on 1 rep max attempts . Would the heavier rep take too much out of you ?

Thanks

Don't overthink it. Just work up in sets of 5 and you'll have a better appreciation of where you're headed.

You're not competing so it's just about getting stronger.

At 80x2 and 90x1, you won't really have a feel for where that places you for a 5RM. I still find it hard to gauge how many reps in the tank for bench.

If you think 100x5 is on the cards, you'll have a better idea if it is or not with 90x5. It might tell you 95x5 is your 5RM today. But progress is when your 5RM is more than that the next time out. It's all relative. Just don't get bogged down in absolute numbers before you get into it. You need to feel your way up to the 5RM, imho.

And the progress is driven by the volume in the back-off sets rather than what the 5RM is on a given day.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Could you maybe try 50x10, 70x5, 85x3 and 95x1 or something similar? That way, you're conserving energy and time on warm ups, while also having a last warm up that is close enough to possibly judge what to go for the top set?

At this stage, I don't think he needs to worry about conserving energy. Bench is hard to gauge, especially when you're relatively new to it. In time, perhaps, when you find it easier to gauge what a 5RM might be based on a single 5-10kg or so below that weight.

At this stage, I don't think he needs to worry about conserving energy. Bench is hard to gauge, especially when you're relatively new to it. In time, perhaps, when you find it easier to gauge what a 5RM might be based on a single 5-10kg or so below that weight.

Well I was more comparing with what he had suggested, if it was going to go with that approach and didn't want to change I think there are better and more efficient ways to go about it.

I do agree for now ascending sets would be best.

new2tri19, I've looked at your log recently and it looks like you have a max every session? I would definitely go with Alf's approach there and just hit a set of 5 in this instance, judge how it felt and then keep going up until you feel you've hit your "training max" for the day. Somedays it will be better than expected, others less, but it will help you to hit it accurately and also put less pressure on yourself to always try to outdo what was done last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Don't overthink it. Just work up in sets of 5 and you'll have a better appreciation of where you're headed.

You're not competing so it's just about getting stronger.

At 80x2 and 90x1, you won't really have a feel for where that places you for a 5RM. I still find it hard to gauge how many reps in the tank for bench.

If you think 100x5 is on the cards, you'll have a better idea if it is or not with 90x5. It might tell you 95x5 is your 5RM today. But progress is when your 5RM is more than that the next time out. It's all relative. Just don't get bogged down in absolute numbers before you get into it. You need to feel your way up to the 5RM, imho.

And the progress is driven by the volume in the back-off sets rather than what the 5RM is on a given day.

I always thought working up in sets of 5 would take too much out of you , but I'll give that a go .
    So lastly how many warm ups .
    So something like
    50 X 5
    60 X 5
    70 X 5
    80 X 5
    90 X 5
    100 X 5 of fail do 95 x5 ?
    Or would that be too much warm up? Thanks and sorry for all questions just like to get an idea if I'm doing build up optimally

• Advertisement

Well I was more comparing with what he had suggested, if it was going to go with that approach and didn't want to change I think there are better and more efficient ways to go about it.

Completely. And, to be fair, it's what most people do when they have a bit more training under their belt. I have to be reminded not to when we're working up especially in the early phases of a block with a comp down the line and to just work up to an XRM with sets of X.

I do agree for now ascending sets would be best.

new2tri19, I've looked at your log recently and it looks like you have a max every session? I would definitely go with Alf's approach there and just hit a set of 5 in this instance, judge how it felt and then keep going up until you feel you've hit your "training max" for the day. Somedays it will be better than expected, others less, but it will help you to hit it accurately and also put less pressure on yourself to always try to outdo what was done last time.

Yes every session has a max rep attempt I've just been winging it doing like 50% of max rep attempt X 10 then a bit heavier X 6 and a bit heavier again X 3 then a double and a single before attempting it.
    Building up in sets of 5 or whatever would be alot handier and take the guess work out of it so I'll do that . Thanks

I always thought working up in sets of 5 would take too much out of you , but I'll give that a go .
    So something like
    50 X 5
    60 X 5
    70 X 5
    80 X 5
    90 X 5
    Or would that be too much warm up? Thanks and sorry for all questions just like to get an idea if I'm doing build up optimally

You'd probably be able to drop one of the earlier sets, maybe 60x5, but probably won't make much difference.

I would go 90 - 95 if 90 feels good - 100 if 95 feels good, or stop if it feel's like that's close to the max for today.

I think it's important to think of it as just training and not testing every day. Whether you finish on 95 or 100 for the day, long term it won't make a difference, just take what's there that day and keep doing that session after session and then the results will come down the line.

Thanks lads I think I copied that warm up routine from someone on Reddit who was listing a max rep attempt they did 50 x10 60x 5 ........ So then I just assumed without ever checking that that's the optimal way .

So something like
    50 X 5
    60 X 5
    70 X 5
    80 X 5
    90 X 5

Could do with one less set on the way up, perhaps.

But you are still approaching it with the top set fixed in your head. You've outlined the warm up with an attempt at 100x5.

Base your top set on how it feels. If you do 90x5, you need to be sure you have at least 3 but probably 4 more reps in the tank for 100x5 to be realistic.

If you could do maybe 2 more, then let your top set be 95x5. If it feels a touch too light, so be it. You'll have a better idea the next time and your back off sets may only be 2.5kg lighter anyway so you will put up more volume.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads I think I copied that warm up routine from someone on Reddit who was listing a max rep attempt they did 50 x10 60x 5 ........ So then I just assumed without ever checking that that's the optimal way .

I edited my post above but I definitely think reframing how you think and approach it would help. The above might work if actually testing a lift, or for experienced lifters, but for now just think of it as training and getting the work in. Don't really worry about what weight you hit that day in terms of having a target, take what's there and in the long term when it does come to test it will all come together.

I edited my post above but I definitely think reframing how you think and approach it would help. The above might work if actually testing a lift, or for experienced lifters, but for now just think of it as training and getting the work in. Don't really worry about what weight you hit that day in terms of having a target, take what's there and in the long term when it does come to test it will all come together.

Ok I get yous both now , I need to stop setting a target and just lift what is set out for the day .
    Funny no matter what sport you do the same flaws show themselves everytime , the kg on the weight has replaced the minutes mile on the watch and the lap times in the pool and the power on the bike .
    Don't be a slave to numbers!!
    Some great advice there lads thanks I've a great idea what to do from now on .

Ok I get yous both now , I need to stop setting a target and just lift what is set out for the day .
    Funny no matter what sport you do the same flaws show themselves everytime , the kg on the weight has replaced the minutes mile on the watch and the lap times in the pool and the power on the bike .
    Don't be a slave to numbers!!
    Some great advice there lads thanks I've a great idea what to do from now on .

Think of it like this. If you were early days in your running and decided you wanted to do 10k in 40 minutes.

5k done at the 20 minute mark but then come 8k you're feeling the pace and you're at 33 minutes on the clock.

You don't think to yourself you'll up the pace to hit the 10k in 40 minutes because you know you can't sustain it. So you maintain a pace that you can and you do it in 42 minutes.

There would have been zero point in trying to do it in 40 minutes given how it felt at the 8k mark. So you ended up with 42 minutes.

Now you have a marker...a time to beat the next time.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Try squatting to a box. You can drop the height over time as you gain more mobility and strength.

boxsquatphoto1.jpeg

Thanks so much for this!. Some practice with the box got me used to letting myself go down with the weight. Technique still needs some work but I can get all the way down and mobility seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Thanks so much for this!. Some practice with the box got me used to letting myself go down with the weight. Technique still needs some work but I can get all the way down and mobility seems fine.

No problem, glad it helped. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wasn't judging them on the use by minority over general population though.

I just said that exercise selection shouldn't be based on movement issues unless the issues cannot be addressed, given that I likely am one of that tiny minority. I'm not sure why that's objectionable considering I also agreed that people should address their movement issues rather than avoid exercises that highlight them.

I wasn't commenting on your post, but the article selling DLs as bad.
    When I do block pulls (I have gone to these in lieu of rack pulls as I feel they're easier on my equipment) I work up to a heavy single and then what I do is I'll do 80% for 5+ as a back off.

Must admit I never consider straps, even when maxing on a trap bar deadlift, as the bar doesn't roll in your hands like it would with a double overhand on a straight bar.
    Rack pulls are brutal on bars. Blocks are definitely smarter.

As for grip. I'm a big advocate of grip strength. And, this may be an unpopular opinion, but if you need straps on a trap bar, their is something wrong.

This is good to hear. Be great if more posters came back with news of how they got on, instead of disappearing.

I agree with Dean that the first way is better in order to conserve energy and really go for it with a 5RM. For a 5RM, I'd probably do less sets.

But I also agree with Alf that it's not what you need to do right now. Also depends on whether you attempting a 5RM or a 5x5 PR. And also just how you feel..
    The difference with that is your interval is a higher pace (weight) but it's a reduced distance (ROM).

The parallel in lifting would be unracking an overloaded bar and holding it, rather than attempted a rep. The idea is when you drop yo target weight, it feel lighter and your setup is less affected.

Mellor wrote: »

The difference with that is your interval is a higher pace (weight) but it's a reduced distance (ROM).

The parallel in lifting would be unracking an overloaded bar and holding it, rather than attempted a rep. The idea is when you drop yo target weight, it feel lighter and your setup is less affected.

That's interesting thanks , I was actually considering doing something like that my idea was to sit down and hold barbell overhead with a weight I can't lift and try slowly lower it , like a negative pull up .

That's interesting thanks , I was actually considering doing something like that my idea was to sit down and hold barbell overhead with a weight I can't lift and try slowly lower it , like a negative pull up .
    That's probably valid too but there's a few things to consider.
    • You must have safeties, and absolute confidance in them
    • At some point near the bottom, you may lose your ability to lower slowly
    • At a certain weight, a superloaded negative will injury you
    • You can probably unrack the above weight
    • And most critically, even if setup and weight was perfect, and form is perfect. Its going to be a pain in the ass unload and raising the bar everytime. Brings friends.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's probably valid too but there's a few things to consider.
    • You must have safeties, and absolute confidance in them
    • At some point near the bottom, you may lose your ability to lower slowly
    • At a certain weight, a superloaded negative will injury you
    • You can probably unrack the above weight
    • And most critically, even if setup and weight was perfect, and form is perfect. Its going to be a pain in the ass unload and raising the bar everytime. Brings friends.

Thanks they are all good points to think of , I'll start off light at 1 rep max and build slowly .
    Yeah safetys is the big thing I've a few heavy duty ladders and adjustable sawhorses , I'll look at fashioning something that will catch the barbell , should I miss the safety hooks on rack.

• Advertisement

As far as doing tricep accessories, there are a couple of reasons you do them. You can't push compounds hard for every exercise in a workout, and if you did then you wouldn't recover. But compound lifts also aren't an efficient way to target particular muscle groups to bring them along for either aesthetic reasons or in order to correct weak points. Compounds and isolation work complement each other, the latter is not a poor cousin to the former.

Tricep work fits in great as accessory work at the end of a push day in particular. Hit tricep extensions (or dips, if you want more of a multi joint exercise) hard and you can still recover, even if you've gone to proximity to failure, and it should also help build the bench.

I mixed up my push day today and added the dips machine for more triceps.

3x7 bench press.
    3x5 OHP.
    4x12 incline dumbbells.
    3x12 dip machine.

Weird day as I didn't have any proper plan but it felt good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Cole

A question for any powerlifters who also run. How do you plan your lifting (squats/DLs) around your running or vice-versa?

I've got back into (early morning) running recently (5km) after a few years and am finding my lower back taking a bit of a strain from it...not pain or injury just kind of tired I guess. On the days that I'm squatting or deadlifting (no running on the day or next day) I'm always a bit concerned whether my lower back is recovered enough from the running.

I don't remember it being so much of an issue in the past, but then again being in my late 40s probably plays its part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Cole wrote: »
    A question for any powerlifters who also run. How do you plan your lifting (squats/DLs) around your running or vice-versa?

I've got back into (early morning) running recently (5km) after a few years and am finding my lower back taking a bit of a strain from it...not pain or injury just kind of tired I guess. On the days that I'm squatting or deadlifting (no running on the day or next day) I'm always a bit concerned whether my lower back is recovered enough from the running.

I don't remember it being so much of an issue in the past, but then again being in my late 40s probably plays its part.

Some useful tips here that might be helpful - https://powerliftingtechnique.com/powerlifting-and-running/
    • Keep Runs And Training Sessions On Separate Days
    • Avoid Endurance Runs Within 24 Hours Of A Squat Workout
    • Aim For 6 Hours Between Sessions If You Must Run and Train The Same Day
    • Always Strength Train First If You Must Train And Run The Same Day
    • Have At Least 1 Full Rest Day A Week
    • Train For Running With Moderate-Intensity Workouts When Possible
    • Eat To Accommodate Increased Activity
    • Recognize Signs Of Overtraining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im doing something similar, I jog ~5k twice a week , ideally after doing squats/DL. I find if I do the running first then I find an excuse not to do the other. I am hoping that after a while the 5K will just become routine so will be less stress on the body

Im finding I need to be more careful now, so making mobility a priority, I'd use the logic that everything is connected so a weakness in one place could cause an issue somewhere else, so come up with a suite of mobility oriented exercises to build in during the week. I have started doing exercises like Jefferson Curls, Asian squats and others. When the gyms reopen Ill be using the hip thrust machine which helped with running. Something Im going to start including is running backwards.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thanks for the replies Patsy and silverharp. I used to run a lot more than 5km in the past and lift too...but not as heavy as I do now, so I guess it's natural for the lower back (in particular imo) to need a bit more recovery/care with my renewed running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Thanks for the replies Patsy and silverharp. I used to run a lot more than 5km in the past and lift too...but not as heavy as I do now, so I guess it's natural for the lower back (in particular imo) to need a bit more recovery/care with my renewed running.

On mobile so can't link stuff easily but depending how reddit familiar you are it may be useful to have a snoop at u/sumodadlifts profile. He does his own programming and does a lot of running and heavy lifting. Deadlifts over 700lbs and benches over 400 and has run a 16 something 5k I think. Also done the deadlift 600 and run 6 miles thing I believe. So there may be some stuff you can adapt from his training to help yours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Not sure I would compete enough or focus on my competition lifts to the extent I'd consider myself a powerlifter, but for what it's worth...

Assuming your goal is to feel more athletic, improve recovery between sets, maybe get leaner etc (All valid reasons..):-

I do an upper / lower split , four days a week. Two max effort days with assistance and accessories, and two dynamic / volume days with assistance and accessories.

If I want to 'run' on a lower body day then I do my main lift and back-offs, my assistance lift, and then I do the 'run'.

So for example yesterday I worked up to a heavy single on front squat, then 3x3 front squat at 85%, then assistance was 3x5 RDL, then I did the 'run'.

I say 'run' because for a variety of reasons (Time efficiency, recovery, athletic carryover) I prefer to do a protocol like push a prowler/dogsled or do a series of runs/sprints rather than do an intermediate distance run of any kind. Yesterday I pushed a sled for 8 rounds, 1 minute recovery between them. I have a friend who does the same programming as me and he prefers to do sprints.

I do this once per week, if the weather is nice I might do it twice.

The alternative to doing it this way is that in lieu of the 'run' I do my full accessories... Might be something like 3-4 sets of DB lunges, 3-4 sets of a back exercise, calf raises etc. If I had access to machines it would be machine work.

Recovery considerations: If you're 40+ (like me) then yeah I drop out the accessories as outlined. I also think that if you're training 4 days a week it's better to consolidate the 'run' on one of those days rather than putting it on a seperate day, that will not help matters, you're better keeping your rest days as actual rest days unless you're really doing a mild recovery type run where it's about the music and the scenery.

There's a bazillion articles out there that can be linked to, but I take it you're looking for person experience.

On mobile so can't link stuff easily but depending how reddit familiar you are it may be useful to have a snoop at u/sumodadlifts profile. He does his own programming and does a lot of running and heavy lifting. Deadlifts over 700lbs and benches over 400 and has run a 16 something 5k I think. Also done the deadlift 600 and run 6 miles thing I believe. So there may be some stuff you can adapt from his training to help yours.

Cheers...I'll have a look

Not sure I would compete enough or focus on my competition lifts to the extent I'd consider myself a powerlifter, but for what it's worth...

Assuming your goal is to feel more athletic, improve recovery between sets, maybe get leaner etc (All valid reasons..):-

I do an upper / lower split , four days a week. Two max effort days with assistance and accessories, and two dynamic / volume days with assistance and accessories.

If I want to 'run' on a lower body day then I do my main lift and back-offs, my assistance lift, and then I do the 'run'.

So for example yesterday I worked up to a heavy single on front squat, then 3x3 front squat at 85%, then assistance was 3x5 RDL, then I did the 'run'.

I say 'run' because for a variety of reasons (Time efficiency, recovery, athletic carryover) I prefer to do a protocol like push a prowler/dogsled or do a series of runs/sprints rather than do an intermediate distance run of any kind. Yesterday I pushed a sled for 8 rounds, 1 minute recovery between them. I have a friend who does the same programming as me and he prefers to do sprints.

I do this once per week, if the weather is nice I might do it twice.

The alternative to doing it this way is that in lieu of the 'run' I do my full accessories... Might be something like 3-4 sets of DB lunges, 3-4 sets of a back exercise, calf raises etc. If I had access to machines it would be machine work.

Recovery considerations: If you're 40+ (like me) then yeah I drop out the accessories as outlined. I also think that if you're training 4 days a week it's better to consolidate the 'run' on one of those days rather than putting it on a seperate day, that will not help matters, you're better keeping your rest days as actual rest days unless you're really doing a mild recovery type run where it's about the music and the scenery.

There's a bazillion articles out there that can be linked to, but I take it you're looking for person experience.

Thanks for the detail. No problem, I'm not really a powerlifter either...just try to train like one! I've been doing a similar upper/lower split for years, but I've been using the (slightly modified) 531 BBB programme in more recent times. I got back into the running to try to drop a bit of body fat and am enjoying it again.

I'm an early morning runner, so I run on upper day mornings and my mid week 'rest day', with the weekend as two days of full rest, apart from walks. I used to do some of those accessories like lunges, but I've dropped them now...too much for my legs.

A lot of trial and error I think. Cheers for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

First decide what your goal is - do you care more about the running or the lifting? Once you know that, it’s just a matter of using the minimum effective dose of the less important one.

I’m on a break from running at the moment as my lifting volume is at its highest (subbed for walks), but even before that I found that just one run a week was enough for me to slowly improve at running, without it affecting my lifts.

The fact your lower back is giving you issues might be an indication that you just need to do less for now.

Advertisement