Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    Hi

Bag work would be typically anaerobic. The point of the bag and heavier gloves is that you just more power and energy. Most people let loose on a bag would typically head off at a tempo they can hold for 2-3 mins. Not 20-40mins steady.

Shadow boxing on the other hand is more aerobic. Intensity and tempo is little and not fatiguing at all. Should be able to hold that for a long time. Although the purpose is typically technical rather than cardio.

Skipping can be any intensity. But depends on ability and the tempo you find comfortable.
    clears that up

Strength athletes (especially powerlifters) often viewed cardio as being a gainz destroyer and avoid any form of cardio outright, and it's a trap I fell into myself. Trends come and go, but current cardio trend for strength athletes is simply walking. 30-60 minutes a day at an average pace is light on the joints and just aerobic enough to help aid conditioning.

Anecdotally, I can vouch for trying to get out walking as complementing strength work. It might seem boring at first, but stick on some headphones while listening to a podcast every day has made lifting easier. And I do it at a different time of day to gym work. No more being out of breath after warmup sets @ <50%.

If 10 mins on a bike/rowing machine bores you, just find something similar that you think you will enjoy. Getting fresh air while doing so is a bonus.

Nice one. I often do 10,000 steps a day and lots of stairs as a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Strength athletes (especially powerlifters) often viewed cardio as being a gainz destroyer and avoid any form of cardio outright, and it's a trap I fell into myself. Trends come and go, but current cardio trend for strength athletes is simply walking. 30-60 minutes a day at an average pace is light on the joints and just aerobic enough to help aid conditioning.

Anecdotally, I can vouch for trying to get out walking as complementing strength work. It might seem boring at first, but stick on some headphones while listening to a podcast every day has made lifting easier. And I do it at a different time of day to gym work. No more being out of breath after warmup sets @ <50%.

If 10 mins on a bike/rowing machine bores you, just find something similar that you think you will enjoy. Getting fresh air while doing so is a bonus.
    Exactly right

Most people spend their days trying to cure their lack of consistency with intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

On training days, I usually try eat more calories to maintain and increase muscle mass.

I train 4 days per week, early in the morning before breakfast.

I'm not struggling for energy when training.

Should I change to eating more the day before training? And less the day before a rest day? Or does it make any difference at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just two quick questions. I've just started going to the gym near my house here. I got a programme from one of the staff here which I've been doing for about 3 weeks now. It's mainly focused on my arms and shoulders. I'm getting a tad bored of it and was thinking of changing my routine. Are there any particularly good sites for this?

Also, everyone at this place seems to shower while wearing shorts. From my own limited experience, I always thought men at gyms would shower naked. Not a problem now but come winter, I might need to shower there because of the weather.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

colm_c wrote: »
    On training days, I usually try eat more calories to maintain and increase muscle mass.

I train 4 days per week, early in the morning before breakfast.

I'm not struggling for energy when training.

Should I change to eating more the day before training? And less the day before a rest day? Or does it make any difference at all?

Keep doing what you're doing. You've said there's no reason to change it.

Just two quick questions. I've just started going to the gym near my house here. I got a programme from one of the staff here which I've been doing for about 3 weeks now. It's mainly focused on my arms and shoulders. I'm getting a tad bored of it and was thinking of changing my routine. Are there any particularly good sites for this?

Also, everyone at this place seems to shower while wearing shorts. From my own limited experience, I always thought men at gyms would shower naked. Not a problem now but come winter, I might need to shower there because of the weather.

What sort of time do you have to train, ie per session and how many times a week?

I would think it odd that guys shower in their shorts. It's a bit mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What sort of time do you have to train, ie per session and how many times a week?

At the minute, about an 45-60 minutes 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday & Friday). I go before breakfast as the place would probably be swamped in the evenings.
    I would think it odd that guys shower in their shorts. It's a bit mental.

I only was in there twice. Don't want a reputation for looking at the lads while they shower!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

People showering in shorts is definitely weird.

There are many decent programs for a beginner that target the whole body. How often can you train? Is there someone at the gym who can teach you to squat and deadlift? How is your hip and shoulder mobility and do you have any pre existing injuries to take into account?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    People showering in shorts is definitely weird.

I thought so. Don't know how common it is. I wouldn't want a reputation as the lad who watches men shower.
    There are many decent programs for a beginner that target the whole body. How often can you train? Is there someone at the gym who can teach you to squat and deadlift? How is your hip and shoulder mobility and do you have any pre existing injuries to take into account?

Thanks!

I've no injuries, thankfully.

There is indeed plenty of info. The gym employee I spoke to said to be very careful about getting info online but there seem to be close to no staff which seems to be a regular occurrence here in London. I did do a session with a PT years ago so I know a bit about form (not throwing weights, lining up my arm so my wrists aren't taking the strain, that sort of thing).

I think my shoulder mobility is ok. My left side seems less flexible than my right. Never looked at my hip mobility before.

I've been going thrice a week for the past few weeks before work. I can usually do around 45-60 minutes. I don't know if that's enough. I've never done serious squats and I see deadlifts as a shortcut to serious back issues. I think I'd prefer the machines for legwork though I do know they are inefficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought so. Don't know how common it is. I wouldn't want a reputation as the lad who watches men shower.

Thanks!

There is indeed plenty of info. The gym employee I spoke to said to be very careful about getting info online but there seem to be close to no staff which seems to be a regular occurrence here in London. I did do a session with a PT years ago so I know a bit about form (not throwing weights, lining up my arm so my wrists aren't taking the strain, that sort of thing).

I think my shoulder mobility is ok. My left side seems less flexible than my right. Never looked at my hip mobility before.

I've been going thrice a week for the past few weeks before work. I can usually do around 45-60 minutes. I don't know if that's enough. I've never done serious squats and I see deadlifts as a shortcut to serious back issues. I think I'd prefer the machines for legwork though I do know they are inefficient.

If you think deadlifting is bad for your back, and machines are the way to go, then You need another appointment with a PT. Preferably one that’s introduce squatting and deadlifting to your training regime

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If you think deadlifting is bad for your back, and machines are the way to go, then You need another appointment with a PT. Preferably one that’s introduce squatting and deadlifting to your training regime

I don't think deadlifting is bad for my back, I'm saying that I don't want to risk getting injured from doing it.

Thanks!

Deadlifts are very good for your back, massive core engagement. I would consider getting a few sessions with a PT who will teach you the big lifts correctly. There is an abundance of bad advice online, this might be bad advice in fact :) , but if you pick something tried and tested like starting strength it's a good start.

Work with a PT on the lifts and identifying any mobility issues. If you go too heavy too early you'll reinforce bad movement patterns.

Last question: If I give you decent advice, can I call some a cnut on the politics forum once for free?

they/them/theirs

I don't think deadlifting is bad for my back, I'm saying that I don't want to risk getting injured from doing it.

I appreciate where you're coming from but invest some time and effort in doing it right and don't load it up too heavy and you would benefit a lot from it as a hip hinge exercise.

Deadlifts are very good for your back, massive core engagement. I would consider getting a few sessions with a PT who will teach you the big lifts correctly. There is an abundance of bad advice online, this might be bad advice in fact :) , but if you pick something tried and tested like starting strength it's a good start.

Work with a PT on the lifts and identifying any mobility issues. If you go too heavy too early you'll reinforce bad movement patterns.

I'd like to think I could filter some of it out! Otherwise, this is really good, thanks.
    Last question: If I give you decent advice, can I call some a cnut on the politics forum once for free?

Just the once, mind!

I appreciate where you're coming from but invest some time and effort in doing it right and don't load it up too heavy and you would benefit a lot from it as a hip hinge exercise.

Thanks. I googled it once and found this at one stage:

deadlift-fear-1.jpg

Not sure how it engages the hamstrings though. Same for squats as well. They look like exercises which prioritise the glutes and quads along with the core and lower back.

Would there be any issue using gym showers if there are kids around?

My current activity goal is two good runs a week, and two gym days for weights.

I've alternated between three different 3 day splits for the last 18 months, all based on dumbells and bodyweight. I now have compressed those 3 days splits into 2 in order to facilitate my two days in the gym.

I'm quite happy with this and am feeling good. Which I guess should be the bottom line.

But I'm thinking that I've never done any barbell work, deadlifts, squats, rows etc and am wondering could my two days in the gym be even more effective moving onto these exercises.

My feeling is that doing barbell work right requires a three day minimum, so maybe I could just leave that for the winter?

Having a shower in the gym showers is not going to see you end up on a sex offenders register.

You won't get a reputation from showering in the showers.

Also, hamstrings are engaged in hip extension (standing up straight). Glutes too.

The most i got injured was off a fly machine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you try a cable version of a dead lift you can certainly feel the hamstrings and glutes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    if you try a cable version of a dead lift you can certainly feel the hamstrings and glutes

If you try any version of it and do it properly you will feel the hamstrings and glutes.

If you don't, it's not the choice of equipment thats the problem but the execution of the movememt

bluewolf wrote: »
    The most i got injured was off a fly machine

Did it look like this?

fly1.jpg

ancapailldorcha, download the app Jefit and either use one of their plans or one of the user ones. If your gym doesn't have the equipment, switch out the exercise for something it does have.

For exercises that could hurt you, check online I guess. For deadlift / squat, I'm starting with dumbbell squats which are less risky than using a bar since they're by your side instead of you needing to reach forward. I'll move to the bar when I feel more flexible and strong.

And showering in shorts? Bizarre world that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you try any version of it and do it properly you will feel the hamstrings and glutes.

If you don't, it's not the choice of equipment thats the problem but the execution of the movememt

no doubt, more that you have the time to notice that you feel it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

For exercises that could hurt you, check online I guess. For deadlift / squat, I'm starting with dumbbell squats which are less risky than using a bar since they're by your side instead of you needing to reach forward. I'll move to the bar when I feel more flexible and strong.

And showering in shorts? Bizarre world that.

An empty bar is 20kg. I don’t see any risk in squatting an empty bar. If anything, I think its safer. Not sure what you mean by reaching forward. With a deadlift, reach down and pull.

silverharp wrote: »

Why would you do a cable deadlift?

If you feel a difference between it and a barbell deadlift then you’re doing something different.

they/them/theirs

An empty bar is 20kg. I don’t see any risk in squatting an empty bar. If anything, I think its safer. Not sure what you mean by reaching forward. With a deadlift, reach down and pull.

Your hands are further forward than if you have dumbbells at your sides. My research has told me that that is less risky for your back.

I'd never thought the empty bar was that heavy. I used to berate myself for only being able to put smaller weights on it years ago.

Your hands are further forward than if you have dumbbells at your sides. My research has told me that that is less risky for your back.

The difference isn't going to change the week of risk of you keep the weight appropriate and work on getting the movement pattern correct.

Conscious that this might sound smart arsey on text, it isn't, but given that you won't be pushing the weight, spend your time researching how to do a barbell deadlift properly as opposed to looking up less risky variations unless there is a genuine reason to.

Not everyone has to deadlift - and this is probably topical given the Joe Rogan's podcast with Robert Oberst recently - but context is important. You don't need to be pushing the weight so far where you increase the risk beyond what is appropriate for you and your goals.

It's a great movement and a movement pattern that people should get stronger at but getting stronger doesn't mean you have to risk injury.

• Advertisement

The difference isn't going to change the week of risk of you keep the weight appropriate and work on getting the movement pattern correct.

Conscious that this might sound smart arsey on text, it isn't, but given that you won't be pushing the weight, spend your time researching how to do a barbell deadlift properly as opposed to looking up less risky variations unless there is a genuine reason to.

Not everyone has to deadlift - and this is probably topical given the Joe Rogan's podcast with Robert Oberst recently - but context is important. You don't need to be pushing the weight so far where you increase the risk beyond what is appropriate for you and your goals.

It's a great movement and a movement pattern that people should get stronger at but getting stronger doesn't mean you have to risk injury.

I said I'll move to the bar in the future. For now, dumbbell squatting does me fine and let's me only go down as far as I feel comfortable with. Deadlifting can come later.

For anyone who wants tips from the record holder, Eddie Hall just uploaded a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NyJPgBUREw

Advertisement