Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell for the Ryanair Baggage <SNIP>, options?

Options
  • 28-03-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe it, checked over everything 3 times before paying.

Added bags for my trip all looked fine. Paid my money and then it came back with the full breakdown after paying. Bags were only for the way out.

Contacted their customer care and they said I can now add bags through my boking but guess what there now a lot more expensive.

I paid by credit card anything I can do, as there's nothing they will do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

What's the scam? I don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pay for them on the way back (or throw your bags out when you get there, I guess...) - or pay vastly vastly more at checkin.

They are not responsible for your inattentiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L1011 wrote: »

The website is completely misleading, you don't know you've only added for the way out until after you've paid. The price has also nearly doubled as you didn't add them when booking as there was no option from what I could figure out. I was actually watching for this.

The website is completely misleading, you don't know you've only added for the way out until after you've paid. The price has also nearly doubled as you didn't add them when booking as there was no option from what I could figure out. I was actually watching for this.

It couldn't be more obvious.

sef_zpsw2x3lajk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Obviously not watching well enough, there is no scam and this is entirely on you unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Ahh..

L1011 wrote: »
    Pay for them on the way back (or throw your bags out when you get there, I guess...) - or pay vastly vastly more at checkin.

Can you use your mod powers and delete this thread. Tks

Obviously not watching well enough, there is no scam and this is entirely on you unfortunately.

The scam is the price going up and not stating what bags are booked where before checkout. They know this catches people out why do it otherwise. I've seen people going ballistic at airports over it.
    How many families fly out with a load of booked baggage and fly home with none.

The scam is the price going up and not stating what bags are booked where before checkout. They know this catches people out why do it otherwise. I've seen people going ballistic at airports over it.

I just showed you the page. It couldn't be more obvious. The problem is that people just think that if you book it one way, you get it return. That's their fault for being incapable of RTFI.

(Reading the ****ing instructions)

troyzer wrote: »
    I just showed you the page. It couldn't be more obvious. The problem is that people just think that if you book it one way, you get it return. That's their fault for being incapable of RTFI.

(Reading the ****ing instructions)

Before you pay it's all itimised. Flights, Bags, Seat extras. Once you pay it then shows only bags for flight out.
    I'm talking about the payment screen then the confirmation screen they didn't contain the same information.

• Advertisement

Before you pay it's all itimised. Flights, Bags, Seat extras. Once you pay it then shows only bags for flight out.
    I'm talking about the payment screen then the confirmation screen they didn't contain the same information.

When you selected the bag, it gave you the price and the option for selecting a size of bag and on which flight. You would have made the conscious decision to only select the bag for the outbound flight.

Had you paid attention, you would have also noticed that in this case (it might depend on the route) the price was €25 per bag each way. €25 + €25 is €50. So when the total baggage price was only €25, did you not realise you only had one leg booked?

You only selected the outbound flight. It's your fault. It's not a scam. Ryanair has a lot of anti-consumer practices but not catering for people who don't pay attention isn't one of them.

Take the hit and pay up. It's your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm afraid you'll have to take your beating on this one OP.
    Sure, it's not a nice surprise to get and I feel sorry for you and the many others that fall foul of it but the instructions are pretty clear when booking and it certainly couldn't be considered a scam.

When you selected the bag, it gave you the price and the option for selecting a size of bag and on which flight. You would have made the conscious decision to only select the bag for the outbound flight.

Had you paid attention, you would have also noticed that in this case (it might depend on the route) the price was €25 per bag each way. €25 + €25 is €50. So when the total baggage price was only €25, did you not realise you only had one leg booked?

You only selected the outbound flight. It's your fault. It's not a scam. Ryanair has a lot of anti-consumer practices but not catering for people who don't pay attention isn't one of them.

Take the hit and pay up. It's your mistake.

It was 3 bags so €75, once I got to the confirmation paid page it then stated only for flights out. On the payment page it just said 3x20kg bags and 4 by reserved seats under it.
    So ok I screwed up as it was not mentioned before I paid on the breakdown of extras but then coming backs and looking for €120 for the same 3 bags to come home is a scam.

It was 3 bags so €75, once I got to the confirmation paid page it then stated only for flights out. On the payment page it just said 3x20kg bags and 4 by reserved seats under it.
    So ok I screwed up as it was not mentioned before I paid on the breakdown of extras but then coming backs and looking for €120 for the same 3 bags to come home is a scam.

You didn't pay attention when adding the bags. That's the real problem here. I agree with you that you have to forensically examine everything when booking with Ryanair but you didn't do it properly in this case.

You're only really talking about €45. You'll spend that on the breakfast in the airport. Just chalk it up and now you'll never make the mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in all honesty I have travelled quite often with a checked bag one way and not the other so the choosing of bags per leg is a great feature

If they were to pester you with a reminder to ask if you were really sure you only wanted a bag one way, I'd also find that an unnecessary pain.

As an example of why you'd want checked luggage one way would be maybe bringing a box of gifts one way and obviously then not back with you, bringing a bag or box for a mate or family the other end whether personal stuff or something bulky - anything from football kits to bags of hurleys to a food mixer - even once met a friend at the airport baggage belt transporting a chainsaw one way to her relatives!

just because youre going on a standard holiday with a bunch of swimsuits in a bag to a resort hotel that you "obviously" want to bring back with you, doesnt mean the rest of us are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Added bags for my trip all looked fine. Paid my money and then it came back with the full breakdown after paying. Bags were only for the way out.

Where's the scam?

I understand your point. It's the screen as your paying. It's broken down in such a way that you don't know your after missing the return leg
    It shows both flights in and out then under it is the extras. 3 X checked bags and 4 reserved seats.
    They could easily have put the 3 bags on the details on the flights out and then nothing on the return one then I would have copped it before paying and ammended it and paid the €75.
    It presented in a way to deliberately mislead someone before paying on the final checkout then gouge them by upping the price when the mistake is clear as day on the confirmation payment screen.
    They should both be the same. It's trickery.

I understand your point. It's the screen as your paying. It's broken down in such a way that you don't know your after missing the return leg
    It shows both flights in and out then under it is the extras. 3 X checked bags and 4 reserved seats.
    They could easily have put the 3 bags on the details on the flights out and then nothing on the return one then I would have copped it before paying and ammended it and paid the €75.
    It presented in a way to deliberately mislead someone before paying on the final checkout then gouge them by upping the price when the mistake is clear as day on the confirmation payment screen.

Just to clarify. You're annoyed that Ryanair aren't highlighting that you didn't pay attention and made a mistake?

It might even be the case that Ryanair is quite happy for you to make this mistake. But it is still your mistake. One which could have been avoided by selecting the bags you wanted.

It's not trickery. It's lack of attention on your behalf.

Did you miss the bit about the price nearly doubling and unclear checkout screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Trickery might be too strong a word. They could definitely do a better job of letting people know they have mismatched baggage allowance, I'd wager the majority of bookings with bags have the same bags inbound and outbound. Ryanair have no problem badgering people when it's in their interest. I don't think they've actively designed this to trick people, just that it's badly done and probably at the bottom of a list of more important (to them) things they could be working on.

• Advertisement

Well then be fair about it and not increase the price. When you pick your seats it asks do you want the same ones on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Well then be fair about it and not increase the price. When you pick your seats it asks do you want the same ones on the way back.

Were you a drunk monkey at the time of booking? Ah, to be fair it's annoying but it's not a scam. It could as you say mention the bags on the way back as they do for the seats but live and learn or... you could get wasted on the flight and abuse the airline staff about the bag scam, see how that goes down :)
    Enjoy your trip!

it is a bit sh1t to be sure that they have changed the policy to charge you more after the initial booking for the same thing.

it usen't be that way and was a dick move.

Ryanair have definitely employed psychologists to break down everything about the process of booking and taking a flight and sought to put a charge on anything that could in any way be considered a benefit / advantage in the mind of the consumer.

now with the effective charge for a carry on bag the price you see in the results is no longer the price you will pay.

unless you're travelling with small man-bag! or a handbag and nothing else.

except for this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you use your mod powers and delete this thread. Tks

We don't tend to delete threads unless they're specifically sensitive or defamatory in some way. In this case, I'm happy to close it if that's what you'd like

And can we please refrain from throwing the word "scam" around casually? It's a serious accusation to make against an organisation.

dudara

It's deceitful. The checkout isn't accurate. It looks like you've just bought X then it turns out you haven't.
    I'd say fair enough if they didn't charge extra when you realise what's happened a few seconds later.
    Checkout shows your trip and the extras listed like bags, you assume like the seats it's for both ways. Only when you pay is the first few lines there that show the bags are one way.

Just went through aer Lingus check out....

This is when your selecting...

"Pricing is per passenger, each way. The maximum allowance per bag is 70lbs / 32kgs"

That's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's deceitful. The checkout isn't accurate. It looks like you've just bought X then it turns out you haven't.
    I'd say fair enough if they didn't charge extra when you realise what's happened a few seconds later.
    Checkout shows your trip and the extras listed like bags, you assume like the seats it's for both ways. Only when you pay is the first few lines there that show the bags are one way.

Just went through aer Lingus check out....

This is when your selecting...

"Pricing is per passenger, each way. The maximum allowance per bag is 70lbs / 32kgs"

That's the way it should be.

How is the below difficult to follow? It's your own fault get over it.
    It couldn't be more obvious.

sef_zpsw2x3lajk.png

That's one I was checking 5, so there was 30 options on a page, I just clicked 3 under my name and hit continue. All looked perfectly normal until after I paid.
    Check out page was something like this..

dublin - rome
    5 carry on
    leaves at 6am

rome- dublin
    5 carry on
    leaves at 7am

5 x checked bags
    5 x reserved seats

Total: 789

Fill in your payment below.

Hit Confirm & Pay

+++++++++++++++++++++

Confirmation sceen

dublin - rome
    5 x checked bags

rome - dublin

No bags

Then it went into what was on the final payment screen like above.

It was the first thing that hit you once you paid.

That's one I was checking 5, so there was 30 options on a page, I just clicked 3 under my name and hit continue. All looked perfectly normal until after I paid.
    Check out page was something like this..

dublin - rome
    5 carry on
    leaves at 6am

rome- dublin
    5 carry on
    leaves at 7am

5 x checked bags
    5 x reserved seats

Total: 789

Fill in your payment below.

Hit Confirm & Pay

+++++++++++++++++++++

Confirmation sceen

dublin - rome
    5 x checked bags

rome - dublin

No bags

Then it went into what was on the final payment screen like above.

It was the first thing that hit you once you paid.

Can we just establish two things? That we agree on?

1) You made the mistake. It's your fault.

2) You're annoyed that Ryanair didn't make it obvious that you had made a mistake.

Is this basically it?

Can we just establish two things? That we agree on?

1) You made the mistake. It's your fault.

2) You're annoyed that Ryanair didn't make it obvious that you had made a mistake.

Is this basically it?

No I read the check out clearly. The baggage was after both flights were detailed no mention it was anything but return as it was listed with the seats which were certainly for a return trip.
    It was not listed with the cabin baggage which was itemized on both flights.

• Advertisement

No I read the check out clearly. The baggage was after both flights were detailed no mention it was anything but return as it was listed with the seats which were certainly for a return trip.
    It was not listed with the cabin baggage which was itemized on both flights.

Right. But had you selected the number of bags you wanted properly from the beginning, none of this would matter.

It's YOUR fault you selected the wrong number of bags. You're just annoyed that Ryanair didn't point out that you selected the wrong number of bags.

It doesn't matter how clearly you read the check out. You read the bag selection page wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement