Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell for the Ryanair Baggage <SNIP>, options?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No I read the check out clearly. The baggage was after both flights were detailed no mention it was anything but return as it was listed with the seats which were certainly for a return trip.
    It was not listed with the cabin baggage which was itemized on both flights.

Just booked return flights to Faro on Ryanair, had to book bags both ways, spectate clicks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Seems the OP issue is the fact by making a mistake and not adding in bags correctly he is being charged over 60% more to now add them in within seconds of booking

It is his fault logically but at the same time a typical corporate response by Ryanair. It is disproportionate.

I’d suggest to balance this off by saying both sides could do better to prevent this happening.

Dam even charging 10% more for a genuine mistake. But 60% more? Sure recently ryanair started allowing amendments to the
    name of the flight booking if it was spelt wrong within the first 24hours - for free. Wouldn’t really be a stretch to add consistency and make any amendment free such as adding bags. After all, you are paying them more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

flexcon wrote: »
    Seems the OP issue is the fact by making a mistake and not adding in bags correctly he is being charged over 60% more to now add them in within seconds of booking

It is his fault logically but at the same time a typical corporate response by Ryanair. It is disproportionate.

I’d suggest to balance this off by saying both sides could do better to prevent this happening.

Dam even charging 10% more for a genuine mistake. But 60% more? Sure recently ryanair started allowing amendments to the
    name of the flight booking if it was spelt wrong within the first 24hours - for free. Wouldn’t really be a stretch to add consistency and make any amendment free such as adding bags. After all, you are paying them more money.

Generally Ryanair discount checked bags prices when making the booking, they are trying to incentivize you to buy the checked baggage.

476560.PNG

The price the OP is now being quoted is the standard price of a checked bag, just no longer with the initial booking discount. These prices are clearly stated on their website.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

Also when you go to add checked baggage as part of the booking, the site automatically adds the return baggage, see below:

476561.PNG

Where as if you don't choose this, you are still given the option to add the return baggage before continuing:

476562.PNG

Also Ryanair treat their return bookings as separate legs, therefore if you check in 2 bags on the way out only, at the checkout you are shown 2 bags.

476563.PNG

But if you check the bags in for the return journey then it shows as 4 bags:

476565.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ASOT wrote: »
    How is the below difficult to follow? It's your own fault get over it.

Nonsense. Once an extra bag is selected outward it should automatically be selected homeward. Unless you’re a drug mule it’s likely your coming back with at least as many bars as you went out with.

Lots of people won’t be paying that much attention at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Generally Ryanair discount checked bags prices when making the booking, they are trying to incentivize you to buy the checked baggage.

The price the OP is now being quoted is the standard price of a checked bag, just no longer with the initial booking discount. These prices are clearly stated on their website.

The price is totally arbitrary so there’s no discount, it’s actually a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

If you book on an ap it’s not very user friendly

Their www is clearer

Nonsense. Once an extra bag is selected outward it should automatically be selected homeward. Unless you’re a drug mule it’s likely your coming back with at least as many bars as you went out with.

See my post above, it is automatically selected. I went through the process many times before and did it just there again.

The price is totally arbitrary so there’s no discount, it’s actually a penalty.

The price is clearly stated in their fee's table. €40 is not bad for checked baggage. I'm flying with Aer Lingus this summer and they are charging me €50 for checked baggage. Ryanair's prices are similar to Aer Lingus, not pulled out of their backside.

476566.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That's one I was checking 5, so there was 30 options on a page, I just clicked 3 under my name and hit continue. All looked perfectly normal until after I paid.
    Check out page was something like this..

dublin - rome
    5 carry on
    leaves at 6am

rome- dublin
    5 carry on
    leaves at 7am

5 x checked bags
    5 x reserved seats

Total: 789

Fill in your payment below.

Hit Confirm & Pay

+++++++++++++++++++++

Confirmation sceen

dublin - rome
    5 x checked bags

rome - dublin

No bags

Then it went into what was on the final payment screen like above.

It was the first thing that hit you once you paid.

Hold on... It says on the confirmation screen, rome-dublin. NO BAGS.

What don't you understand about that statement.??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hold on... It says on the confirmation screen, rome-dublin. NO BAGS.

What don't you understand about that statement.??

You've paid at that stage. It doesn't say no bags you see an image of bags now moved up to the flight details but it's not on the page where you commit to pay. They move the location of where the bags are listed there now up with each flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

You've paid at that stage. It doesn't say no bags you see an image of bags now moved up to the flight details but it's not on the page where you commit to pay. They move the location of where the bags are listed there now up with each flight.

We keep getting back to this point that you expect them to correct your mistake. And that somehow it's a scam when they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

If your booking flights one thing you should definitely be doing is paying attention, the poster above you has shown it's clear as day how the bags are added.

Regarding the bags been automatically selected I'd agreed that's the most logical thing as that's what happens with most Airlines but with ryanair it's technically two single journeys so it doesn't happen. Which is why they make it very clear your only selecting a bag for one leg.

worded wrote: »
    If you book on an ap it’s not very user friendly

Their www is clearer

It's fairly clear on the app aswell in fairness.

troyzer wrote: »
    We keep getting back to this point that you expect them to correct your mistake. And that somehow it's a scam when they don't?

You don't get that there's anything underhanded going on. If you look at the commit and pay page there is no mistake, bags are clearly down there with the seats. The seats are assumed return the bags are underneath so you assume the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Whilst I feel for the the OP, most of us who have flown budget have been stung by so called 'unfair' charges at some point. What alot of peeps seem unwilling to accept is that this is exactly how the game is played in the airline world.
    • In order to get 'cheap seats', often which are sold at a loss by a budget airline, you need to play by the rules. 'Break the rules' and expect to open your purse/wallet.
    • If you are concerned about 'breaking the rules', then pay for a full service airline on a fully flexible ticket and have peace of mind. Also expect to open your purse/wallet.
    Simples.

You don't get that there's anything underhanded going on. If you look at the commit and pay page there is no mistake, bags are clearly down there with the seats. The seats are assumed return the bags are underneath so you assume the same.

Bags are not the same as seats. You need a seat both ways, you don't need a bag both ways.

When I was living in the UK doing my Masters, I flew home midway through my thesis towards the end of it and brought home two suit cases full of my stuff. I then flew back without my cases, just some hand luggage with enough clothes for the last week or two.

Equally, I've also gone on trips to London where I stack up on ****e for Christmas. I'll go out without a case and come back with one.

There are lots of reasons why you would only have a case on one flight.

Which is why booking a case for a return flight (and remember, Ryanair operates point to point. There is actually no such thing as a return flight. It has the appearance of a return flight but it isn't one) counts as 25kg case X 2.

You keep ignoring the fact that you made a mistake. Accept you made a mistake and then we can debate whether or not Ryanair should have pointed it out or gave you a grace period to modify the booking.

If you keep refusing to accept that the mistake initially lay with yourself then this thread is pointless.

I'd admitted ages ago I made a mistake at the baggage screen but not at the checkout screen. The bags were listed down with the seats not with the flights.
    The bags then moved up to the flights once you paid. So when reviewing my order before committing to pay Rynair deliberately places the bags down with the seats to make it appear they were return as well. The only bags listed on the checkout screen with the flights were the carry on bag.

I'd admitted ages ago I made a mistake at the baggage screen but not at the checkout screen. The bags were listed down with the seats not with the flights.
    The bags then moved up to the flights once you paid. So when reviewing my order before committing to pay Rynair deliberately places the bags down with the seats to make it appear they were return as well. The only bags listed on the checkout screen with the flights were the carry on bag.

Right.

So you've accepted that you made a mistake. Fine.

As mentioned already, low cost carriers function by having incredibly strict rules. Deviate slightly and you'll get rinsed. Everyone knows this going in. Ryanair are not trying to trip you up. Had you paid attention, you wouldn't be here. But they are a low cost carrier and they're not going to go out of their way to deprive themselves of income when somebody doesn't know how booking a flight with them works.

All I can tell is that it's obvious to me looking at that booking page that you haven't got enough bags. Bags are not automatically return. A bag on a flight to Rome and a flight back again is two bags. Everyone knows (or should know) this.

Ryanair exists to maximise choice. Your base fare includes almost nothing and you can add stuff on top of that if you want. A lot of airlines wouldn't give you the option to pick a bag for only one leg, Ryanair does. You've fallen foul of this but for someone like me, I get to save money. And that's what Ryanair is all about.

Aer Lingus doesn't charge you for selecting seats, Ryanair does. However, the extra ancillary revenue allows Ryanair to make the base fare cheaper. Meaning that if you don't care where you're seating, it's cheaper. If you know EXACTLY what you want and are careful, Ryanair is cheaper. If you don't know how to book a flight properly (i.e. you) then a legacy airline will hold your hand through the process. But it'll charge you more money.

Did you have your seats assigned for both legs or just outward journey?

Did you have your seats assigned for both legs or just outward journey?

I assume so don't really care at this stage if Rynair would like to put my kids beside a stranger and I get some piece and quite there more than welcome to.
    From memeory I think it forced you to pick the seats for the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Something similar happened recently to me OP, except I ended up with checked bags for both passengers instead of one. I had no recollection of selecting the 20kg bag for the second passenger, and the summary before payment was unclear, possibly intentionally so... My lesson was you've to double check at every stage of the process, not just the end. It does seem to happen to people a lot so they could probably improve the clarity of the final booking page if they were so inclined.

ASOT wrote: »
    It's fairly clear on the app aswell in fairness.
    Is that for one passenger or all actually?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is that for one passenger or all actually?

That was for one, but if you have more than one passenger you get a list of passengers and go in and do them individually.

I'm usually tasked with booking flights for my group of mates it a pain in the hole, have to triple check everything.

Cheers! Still don't have a clue where I went wrong...

TheChizler wrote: »
    Something similar happened recently to me OP, except I ended up with checked bags for both passengers instead of one. I had no recollection of selecting the 20kg bag for the second passenger, and the summary before payment was unclear, possibly intentionally so... My lesson was you've to double check at every stage of the process, not just the end. It does seem to happen to people a lot so they could probably improve the clarity of the final booking page if they were so inclined.

The final booking summary should match the confirmation on the next page. They've deliberately fudged it so you will make the mistake. This isn't just a sloppy web developer. It's designed to extract more money out of people on top of the bags they know they'll be bringing back.
    One poster says it's good for him but he's the exception rather than the rule.

The final booking summary should match the confirmation on the next page. They've deliberately fudged it so you will make the mistake. This isn't just a sloppy web developer. It's designed to extract more money out of people on top of the bags they know they'll be bringing back.
    One poster says it's good for him but he's the exception rather than the rule.

You already made the mistake. They didn't make you only select bags one way.

They don't know you're bringing them back. I might be the exception but I'm also the target market. People who understand Ryanair's business model and play by the rules.

You already made the mistake. They didn't make you only select bags one way.

They don't know you're bringing them back. I might be the exception but I'm also the target market. People who understand Ryanair's business model and play by the rules.

You don't get it. That's fine but stop making them out to be some kind of customer focused company only interested in your demographic.
    It's a ****ty business practice. They didn't play but the rules when they switched how the information was displayed between checkout and confirmation.
    I understand their model but extortion is never ok in my book if it's done deceitfully.

You don't get it. That's fine but stop making them out to be some kind of customer focused company only interested in your demographic.
    It's a ****ty business practice. They didn't play but the rules when they switched how the information was displayed between checkout and confirmation.
    I understand their model but extortion is never ok in my book if it's done deceitfully.

I never said they were a customer focused company. They're a company focused on making money by enticing people with their low prices. Those low prices are only possible with all of the ancillary extras.

It's not a ****ty business practice. It's what they and all other low cost airlines do. If you don't like it, go with a legacy airline. You have a choice here. You are choosing the low cost airline but want the frills of a legacy carrier.

It's not rocket science. RTFI and you'll be fine.

There is no extortion, scam or deceit. There's just an annoyed customer who wasn't paying attention.

old.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Customer was trying to avail of this discounted bag. Customer misunderstood what what they were presented with on the website and made a mistake. Within a few seconds, customer then tries to add the same bags but are now over 60% more expensive....than 1 minute ago.

In this scenario its interesting to note:

The demand isn't so high that suddenly in that minute the price of everything went up. He/She checks the flight and the flight and bags are still the same price.

Normally you can simply cancel an order (Say with Sky, or any other online order that has a product) and get a refund and place a new order with the correct details.) Ryanair is a service though so yeah...don't get that option!

Not sure why this part is entirely relevant. The OP acknowledged the mistake, they are questioning the mentality to penalising them by making a mistake - yet trying to rectify immediately.

wassie wrote: »
    Whilst I feel for the the OP, most of us who have flown budget have been stung by so called 'unfair' charges at some point. What alot of peeps seem unwilling to accept is that this is exactly how the game is played in the airline world.
    • In order to get 'cheap seats', often which are sold at a loss by a budget airline, you need to play by the rules. 'Break the rules' and expect to open your purse/wallet.
    • If you are concerned about 'breaking the rules', then pay for a full service airline on a fully flexible ticket and have peace of mind. Also expect to open your purse/wallet.
    Simples.

On this point - What rules did the OP break?

In most scenarios where you make a mistake you have the option to rectify this if there is no major burden on the seller.

Ryanair allow you to go back and change the name on the original booking within 24 hours. That is FREE.
    however, by your logic - if that option wasn't there, and the OP came on here and said "They misspelled the name and Ryanair want €115 to change the name 30 seconds after booking" you're consistent answer would be the same right? play by the rules?

And yet - They offer this to all customers for FREE. Why not extend that to all parts of your booking?

Just keep remembering the customer always wanted this "discounted" offer.
    Right.

So you've accepted that you made a mistake. Fine.

As mentioned already, low cost carriers function by having incredibly strict rules. Deviate slightly and you'll get rinsed. Everyone knows this going in. Ryanair are not trying to trip you up. Had you paid attention, you wouldn't be here. But they are a low cost carrier and they're not going to go out of their way to deprive themselves of income when somebody doesn't know how booking a flight with them works.

All I can tell is that it's obvious to me looking at that booking page that you haven't got enough bags. Bags are not automatically return. A bag on a flight to Rome and a flight back again is two bags. Everyone knows (or should know) this.

Ryanair exists to maximise choice. Your base fare includes almost nothing and you can add stuff on top of that if you want. A lot of airlines wouldn't give you the option to pick a bag for only one leg, Ryanair does. You've fallen foul of this but for someone like me, I get to save money. And that's what Ryanair is all about.

Aer Lingus doesn't charge you for selecting seats, Ryanair does. However, the extra ancillary revenue allows Ryanair to make the base fare cheaper. Meaning that if you don't care where you're seating, it's cheaper. If you know EXACTLY what you want and are careful, Ryanair is cheaper. If you don't know how to book a flight properly (i.e. you) then a legacy airline will hold your hand through the process. But it'll charge you more money.

All of these points I honestly think are fair. One angle annoys me though is this:

If I call up and buy a MacBook Pro from Apple and a few minutes later I have to call back as I forgot to add in the "Additional" charging cable to my order and the agent says - no problem, that will be another 60% on what it was" then two things can happen.

1) I laugh and ask for the original discounted bundle price otherwise I am cancelling the order
    2) I cancel the order and simply replace the same order but with the discounted price

Scenario 2

I go on Skys website and take the broadband tv and phone package for €50 a month. once installed I notice how my phone line isn't active.
    I call sky and they tell me I never selected to keep my landline number, instead I have VOIP. They refuse to do anything since it is my mistake but are willing to give me my landline back for for an extra 60% of what their offer was.

In this scenario ago I made a mistake and can send it all back and start new again.

With Airlines, you do not have any option or leeway for mistakes. We get that. But in this case the OP always wanted the bags, and they misinterpreted what the website was telling them.

I work in IT networking(although not directly dealing with software in this area), and I can tell you this much - By adding a function to change either the name on a ticket, or add a BTB or ancillary service by a customer going online themselves and changing what they wanted - costs nothing. There is no cost to this except the original coding and database setup, which I happen to know Ryanair have.

Lastly - by charging customers €55 when they forget to checkin in is another example, it's justification is there.
    Ryanair have an added cost by you turning up and taking an extra 3 mins for a checkin girl to check you in. They also like to know their fuel loads and approx passengers they have. They DO NOT want you turn up within checking in. It is a operational decision.

But this - This scenario from OP is nonsense. It costs nothing and unfortunately there is not even a 24 hour cooling period to add what you wanted due to a silly mistake.

Will I fly with Ryanair again? God yeah. I am not Ryanair bashing - I am just taking part in this thread as a devils advocate.

• Advertisement

I made a complaint to Ryanair about the checkout page and the way it's layed out. They are saying the cost of the bags went up because there's an infant on board, yesterday they said the cost went up as baggage costs fluctuate.
    I've called out both as nonsense waiting for the 3rd reason now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement