Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell for the Ryanair Baggage <SNIP>, options?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Ryanair after receiving the above complaint.
    ryanair-hq5_3019350a.jpg?imwidth=1400

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I made a complaint to Ryanair about the checkout page and the way it's layed out. They are saying the cost of the bags went up because there's an infant on board, yesterday they said the cost went up as baggage costs fluctuate.
    I've called out both as nonsense waiting for the 3rd reason now.

They don’t want to offend you.

I made a complaint to Ryanair about the checkout page and the way it's layed out. They are saying the cost of the bags went up because there's an infant on board, yesterday they said the cost went up as baggage costs fluctuate.
    I've called out both as nonsense waiting for the 3rd reason now.

I really don’t get your problem. You messed up the booking. Lots of others have done so too. They just learned from their mistake and moved on. Life’s too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Pay close attention next time.

Yes a budget airline is going to be misleading and try get money out of you on the sly.

You get what you pay for.

Get over it

They can increase the cost of baggage as much as they like. You had plenty of opportunity to get it at a discounted price at the initial booking but you missed that. Tough luck. It costs extra when you add bags later on.

Ps good luck complaining to Ryanair hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

.....try get money out of you on the sly.

IMO its not sly. Everyone knows what ryanair are about. it doesn't take you by surprise.

OP made a small mistake and it cost a few bob to resolve. Ryanair made a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

IMO its not sly. Everyone knows what ryanair are about. it doesn't take you by surprise.

OP made a small mistake and it cost a few bob to resolve. Ryanair made a few bob.

The checkout page doesn't match the confirmation page, if they weren't beibng sly they'd match each other. The bags are bundled with the seats that don't say rerturn so you assume there return as well.
    How people are standing up for these thieves is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

The checkout page doesn't match the confirmation page, if they weren't beibng sly they'd match each other. The bags are bundled with the seats that don't say rerturn so you assume there return as well.

This was your mistake. Despite them explictly showing you on the bag selection screen that you had to select bags for each flight, you then picked them for outbound only and assumed they'd give you them return for free.

Your mistake. They're not thieves. You just can't read.

You’ll be glad to hear that they’ve reverted to the two carry on bags so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

troyzer wrote:
    This was your mistake. Despite them explictly showing you on the bag selection screen that you had to select bags for each flight, you then picked them for outbound only and assumed they'd give you them return for free.

I think it's unfair to have to try and make sure that you book baggage both ways when you are booking a return flight. Surely the default should be that it's booked both ways on a return flight and if you only intend to bring extra luggage one way that you have to go find and remove the way you don't want them.

troyzer wrote: »

I could read the checkout page clear as day.

That's not my mistake, that's them taking advantage of a chance to gouge someone looking forward to going on holidays by fudging how information is displayed before you pay.

What part of that can't you understand. The checkout page should be clear which it appears to be until you checkout.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to have to try and make sure that you book baggage both ways when you are booking a return flight. Surely the default should be that it's booked both ways on a return flight and if you only intend to bring extra luggage one way that you have to go find and remove the way you don't want them.

Ryanair don't do return flights. They operate point to point. They will give you the option of the same seat as part of the same booking out of convinience (you need a seat) but everything else is per flight including checked bag, onboard bag, priority queue, security fast-track etc. This has always been the way with Ryanair. They also don't offer connecting flights for the same reason.
    I could read the checkout page clear as day.

That's not my mistake, that's them taking advantage of a chance to gouge someone looking forward to going on holidays by fudging how information is displayed before you pay.

What part of that can't you understand. The checkout page should be clear which it appears to be until you checkout.

You didn't read the baggage page. It would have clearly said ZERO bags for the return journey. You ASSUMED you'd get the return leg for free. That's your fault. You're just annoyed they didn't make your mistake obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ryaniar is a point to point operator, even though your booking a "return" flight it's two separate one way journeys. That's why they clearly show when adding a bag you have to add it for both flights. I agree that it should add both legs by default but this is how Ryanair has always done it, so either remember to do it or book with another operator are the options.

Ryanair don't do return flights.

You didn't read the baggage page. It would have clearly said ZERO bags for the return journey. You ASSUMED you'd get the return leg for free. That's your fault. You're just annoyed they didn't make your mistake obvious.

First option one way or return, you don't book one leg completely then go back and book the return leg. It's booked from the start as a return flight.

I read the order page before paying, the bags are down with the seats while the carry on bags are up with the flights both ways.

It's deliberately misleading as they present it correctly on the order page but then change it on the confirmation page. You know they've screwed you the minute you pay.

If they weren't into screwing you they wouldn't up the charges for the mistake.

I don't know how you can stand there and say it's normal for 5 people to take out checked bags and take none on the way home. There the only airline they make the assumption people take no bags home.

It you can't see the deceit in what's happened you blind.

First option one way or return, you don't book one leg completely then go back and book the return leg. It's booked from the start as a return flight.

I read the order page before paying, the bags are down with the seats while the carry on bags are up with the flights both ways.

It's deliberately misleading as they present it correctly on the order page but then change it on the confirmation page. You know they've screwed you the minute you pay.

If they weren't into screwing you they wouldn't up the charges for the mistake.

I don't know how you can stand there and say it's normal for 5 people to take out checked bags and take none on the way home. There the only airline they make the assumption people take no bags home.

It you can't see the deceit in what's happened you blind.

It isn't a return flight. Ryanair only offer point to point. They let you book it as a return for the sake of convinience but it is not a return flight. There are benefits as well as drawbacks to this from a consumer perspective. For example, you can cancel one leg without cancelling the other if you need to extend/shorten your trip. You can't do this with a legacy airline, they will make you cancel the entire booking. Ryanair has operated this way since the very beginning.

I don't know why you can't just accept that you made a mistake. Ryanair may have profited from that mistake but they wouldn't have if you hadn't made it. There's no point complaining about them. Everyone knows this is what they do. If you don't like it, book it with someone else.

I didn't make a mistake the checkout page clearly had the bags down with the seats.
    Why can't you admit I was presented with misleading information on the checkout page.

I didn't make a mistake the checkout page clearly had the bags down with the seats.
    Why can't you admit I was presented with misleading information on the checkout page.

You did make a mistake. You only picked bags at the outbound stage.

You weren't misled. You picked X number of bags and you got X number of bags.

I accept that maybe you didn't know how Ryanair operates when it comes to being point to point. But ultimately that's not their fault. It's your fault.

None of this would be an issue if you had correctly selected the number of bags you wanted earlier on.

None of this would be an issue if they didn't mislead on the payment page, you know that page before you pay the one that gives a full breakdown of what your paying for.
    If the bags were one way it should have been shown there instead they didn't present it until after checkout.
    You don't get that something underhanded went on between the checkout and confirmation page. Forget about the baggage page that was a few steps before that. You didn't need to go back and check your bags were correct as they were presented along with the seats in a deliberate format to mislead a consumer.

They might as well of put a big ha ha gotcha sign on the confirmation page as it's the first thing you see at the top of the page after paying.

None of this would be an issue if they didn't mislead on the payment page, you know that page before you pay the one that gives a full breakdown of what your paying for.
    If the bags were one way it should have been shown there instead they didn't present it until after checkout.
    You don't get that something underhanded went on between the checkout and confirmation page. Forget about the baggage page that was a few steps before that. You didn't need to go back and check your bags were correct as they were presented along with the seats in a deliberate format to mislead a consumer.

They might as well of put a big ha ha gotcha sign on the confirmation page as it's the first thing you see at the top of the page after paying.

I'm getting bored with this now. You keep ignoring the fact that this started with your mistake and had you not made the mistake, you'd have been fine.

I'm getting bored with this now. You keep ignoring the fact that this started with your mistake and had you not made the mistake, you'd have been fine.

You don't get it. I'd love to give you a misleading pro forma invoice and see how you like it once you've paid and don't get what was on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

troyzer wrote:
    Poor you getting bored.
    The man admits he made a mistake but feels like Ryanair are at fault too and he has a good point imo.

• Advertisement

Poor you getting bored.
    The man admits he made a mistake but feels like Ryanair are at fault too and he has a good point imo.

He refuses to accept the fact that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for his mistake. His mistake is the problem, not Ryanair. He wants us all to get in a tiffy because Ryanair isn't all warm and fuzzy, as if that's some kind of revelation.

He refuses to accept the fact that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for his mistake. His mistake is the problem, not Ryanair. He wants us all to get in a tiffy because Ryanair isn't all warm and fuzzy, as if that's some kind of revelation.

For the final time the checkout page is designed in way to trick you into thinking everything is ok. That's not my mistake. If I was presented with the information in an honest manner this wouldn't have happened.
    If I treated my customers with such contempt I wouldn't have a busineses. It's ok in your book though as it's Ryanair.
    It's an anti consumer practice I don't know how you don't get that.

For the final time the checkout page is designed in way to trick you into thinking everything is ok. That's not my mistake. If I was presented with the information in an honest manner this wouldn't have happened.
    If I treated my customers with such contempt I wouldn't have a busineses. It's ok in your book though as it's Ryanair.
    It's an anti consumer practice I don't know how you don't get that.

No, it isn't. It tells you how many bags you have booked. You didn't book enough.

One person on a plane with a bag both ways is counting as 2 bags. That much is obvious from the bag selection screen. You just didn't pay attention.

Of course Ryanair treats you with contempt. It's Ryanair. Why are you shocked at this? It's not anti-consumer, it's anti-people-who-can't-RTFI.

I have never had a problem with Ryanair, loads of people haven't. Because I know they do things a certain way. If you stick the rules, you can fly to Athens for €10. If you don't, then you're going to pay three times as much on baggage. This is so old news that I think it was first written in **** on a cave wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op. The website allows you to book flight one way or return, and book in bags for both flights, you booked bags one way. An example of how this has worked for us recently, my wife and daughter went to London shopping recently, they booked in one bag on the way over, two on the way back (second bag for shopping was inside the checked bag on way over). I didn’t book both bags going over, nor would I expect to be charged for 2 just because there would be 2 on the return flight.

This was your error, the website is clearly laid out so you can book bags for each flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Ah here OP are you still denying that you messed up your booking?

And then you're telling other posters that they don't get it. With respect, you're the one who couldn't understand Ryanair's fairly simply booking process, not the posters who correctly pointed out that you are wrong.

The final order screen before paying is wrong. What part of that do none of you understand. It's 100% misleading.
    You keep referring to the bag screen, that's not the page you check before paying for your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

The final order screen before paying is wrong. What part of that do none of you understand. It's 100% misleading.
    You keep referring to the bag screen, that's not the page you check before paying for your order.

Right everyone, that's it settled - OP who messed up their booking is correct and the rest of us who haven't had any issues are all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Flogging a dead horse here lads I'm done, op book with another airline in future or you know just actually pay attention when booking. Enjoy the holiday.

Right everyone, that's it settled - OP who messed up their booking is correct and the rest of us who haven't had any issues are all wrong.

Pretty much as your all ignoring the issue with the checkout screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

"I don't know how you can stand there and say it's normal for 5 people to take out checked bags and take none on the way home. There the only airline they make the assumption people take no bags home."

Its very normal, we travel as a family of 3, we never bring checked bags outbound, but 2 of us would have checked bags coming home (gifts, acohol, cigs etc). Its a very normal practice.

I honestly do not understand what the OP is not getting here. Its easy ti ensure you have bags on each leg of a journey. Its very handy not having to book bags on each leg, its consumer friendly and user friendly.

What an utterly pointless 6 pages of repetitiveness trying to explain a simple concept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement