Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction on Brexit thread.

Options
  • 28-03-2019 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Dear CMods/Admin.

I received an infraction this morning by the moderator ancapailldorcha for posting a fairly innocuous post that linked to a tweet. Which can be seen here.

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1111012021565304832?s=19

I was told the tweet wasn't constructive. (So that's infraction territory? Really?)

Have asked the moderator to reconsider, refusal, and told to take it to appeal.

The thread is littered and I mean littered with links to tweets, many of them serious, but also many of them satirical, many funny (yet no sanctions) and in that sense I thought the one I posted was on topic and funny.

I pointed this out to the moderator via pm and requested that the infraction was unwarranted (imo) and asked to reconsider.

I got a reply stating that he doesn't follow the thread very closely (I highly dispute this, he's among the top posters in every Brexit thread) and I should have reported the tweets.

The question I have, is why would I report a tweet if I was unaware the tweets were breaking any rules:confused:

So, here I am in the DRP requesting the post and sanction be reconsidered following on from our PM exchange.

Regards J.D

Edit.
    Ps I don't know how the emoji on the title got there, and don't seem to be able to remove it (if it matters at all)

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've removed the post from a third party there - only OP and Cmod/Admin may post in the thread unless anyone else is invited to do so. For what it's worth, the link is working fine here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109799112&postcount=4718

Great laugh......

Is it considered constructive though? Sanctionable?

Guys...... One week and no response:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi, I don’t know how this slipped through the net, but I’ll ask a CMod to look at it aSAP.

dudara wrote: »
    Hi, I don’t know how this slipped through the net, but I’ll ask a CMod to look at it aSAP.

I suspected it might have Dudara, no panic, just want some clarity to it.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hey Johnny,

I'll take a look at this today /this evening and try to resolve this as soon as possible.

Neyite wrote: »
    Hey Johnny,

I'll take a look at this today /this evening and try to resolve this as soon as possible.

No sweat Neyite. Thanks.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Johnny, do you have any pm exchanges with the mod? If so, could you forward them on to me, thanks.

<snip>
    Jesus Christ, we are constantly told not to bring other people in to our DRP, as their behaviour has no bearing on our case.

Also, because I've been on the site since 06, this mod wants to seemingly bring my entire history into this:confused:

As for derogatory comments? The tweet wasn't penned by me, and as already stated, the thread is littered with tweets.

This is some farce. I have screenshot this post for future reference.

Admin note

I have deleted the quoted post as I understand it was made in the open forum in error. However the contents are noted, and are available for consideration in the context of this dispute

Thanks

Beasty

Neyite wrote: »
    Johnny, do you have any pm exchanges with the mod? If so, could you forward them on to me, thanks.

Sent them on to you Neyite.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Johnny, I've reviewed this and firstly I must apologise that it's taken me longer than I anticipated as I got busy in real life over the weekend and yesterday and I know you've been patient already given that there was already a delay in it being reviewed. So I'm sorry about that.

I'll be honest, the Brexit thread is far too fast moving for me to keep up with so I wouldn't be as familiar as you what other posters are posting, but if there are things getting posted that contravene the charter or thread notes by a mod then they shouldn't be and should also be actioned. So I'm afraid I can't accept that as a reason why your infraction should be lifted.

The next point of debate was whether the tweet was within the guidelines of the thread. I'm not seeing how it was. It was an expletive-ridden rant that really didn't offer any observations or opinion on Brexit that was worthy of discussion for the thread within the charter rules. I would class it as an amusing rant rather than something that adds to the discussion.

It was the eighth Brexit thread. And in the first post of the current one there was a mod note about what kind of tweets were acceptable and what aren't. In addition, there have been 12 separate mod notesacross all the threads about links/tweets and pointing posters to the standard expected.

ACD's accidental post didn't factor in my decision in this instance. When I'm looking at a DRP my preliminary focus is on determining whether the poster broke a rule or not and whether or not that rule was clearly visible on the forum or in the thread to all posters. In this case I found both to be true. I will look at a previous record or accounts at that point when there may seem to be ambiguity on either of those tests but in this instance I didn't need to get that far. The rules were clearly displayed and repeated, and what you posted contravened one of those.

So, I'm sorry to say that I'll be upholding the infraction.

That's no problem Neyite, this can be marked as resolved.

I will add though, that the Freudian Slip made by the mod in question made for a very interesting insight as to what exactly exactly goes on behind the scenes.

I know you say it didn't influence your decision, but I got a clear glimpse of a moderator trying to drag up my previous accounts held on the site (seriously, how far back does your historic interactions on the site be taken into account?) To be used against me - and further, mention another poster, and what would have been said if he or she made such a post, that essentially (in my mind) is placing posters on 'sides'.

Not really surprised if I'm honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement