Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with return of deposit

Options
  • 28-03-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

So I have moved out of my rented property and the (large, 'professional', well known) landlord is refusing to return my deposit until I provide proof from my energy provider that I have closed my account, a copy of the final bill and proof pf payment. I had my move out inspection a few days ago, and there were no issues (arguably, the property was cleaner than when I took it on). Despite my view that this is unlawful and completely at odds with GDPR they are insistent on receiving the information and I suspect they are more than aware that raising a dispute over this with RTB will take up to 16 weeks. I have asked that they provide me with details of the legislation which allows them to withhold my deposit pending receipt of the above details, however they keep dodging the question - does anyone know if I am right or if they are right?

It's not as simple as just giving them what they want, as my energy supplier states it can take up to 10 days to produce the final bill and close the account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Absolutely none of their business, just open the dispute now and then you can close it if you get the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

amcalester wrote: »
    Absolutely none of their business, just open the dispute now and then you can close it if you get the deposit back.
    It is absolutely the landlord business to know if tenant has paid the utility bills as stated in the tenancy agreement. I had a tenant whose tenancy was terminated at the RTB because (among a lot of other ... he was doing) he was hiding that he was not paying the electricity bills (even though he was paying rent). When the electricity provider called me to say that they were cutting supply in a month time if outstanding bill of almost 600 eur was not going to be paid (and to reconnect I had to pay the fees) I started the dispute. The OP would be well advised to negotiate a partial return of the deposit now and the remaining part (a reconnection fee is approximately 100 eur) can be paid when the OP proves he/she has paid the last bill.

Forgot to say, the GPDR does not apply in this case since the showing of the data is necessary to comply with a business obligation. Let's please not abuse GPDR. I also suggest the OP to read Section 16(a)(ii) of the RTA 2004-2016:
    "(ii) where the lease or tenancy agreement provides that any charges or taxes are payable by the tenant, pay those charges or taxes in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement (unless provision to that effect in the lease or tenancy agreement is unlawful or contravenes any other enactment),"

GGTrek wrote: »
    It is absolutely the landlord business to know if tenant has paid the utility bills as stated in the tenancy agreement. I had a tenant whose tenancy was terminated at the RTB because (among a lot of other ... he was doing) he was hiding that he was not paying the electricity bills (even though he was paying rent). When the electricity provider called me to say that they were cutting supply in a month time if outstanding bill of almost 600 eur was not going to be paid (and to reconnect I had to pay the fees) I started the dispute. The OP would be well advised to negotiate a partial return of the deposit now and the remaining part (a reconnection fee is approximately 100 eur) can be paid when the OP proves he/she has paid the last bill.

Forgot to say, the GPDR does not apply in this case since the showing of the data is necessary to comply with a business obligation. Let's please not abuse GPDR. I also suggest the OP to read Section 16(a)(ii) of the RTA 2004-2016:
    "(ii) where the lease or tenancy agreement provides that any charges or taxes are payable by the tenant, pay those charges or taxes in accordance with the lease or tenancy agreement (unless provision to that effect in the lease or tenancy agreement is unlawful or contravenes any other enactment),"

That applies to charges owed to the landlord, gas or electricity isn't a charge and is none of the landlords business if it is paid or not.

The debt owed by the tenant isn't recoverable from the landlord, it might make life a bit more difficult for him/her but that's it.

And no harm in seeing that the RTB have to say
    If the tenant owes money for utility bills, such as gas or electricity, and the utility bill is in the landlord’s name, the landlord may withhold part or all of the deposit to cover these costs. The tenant should always retain a copy of the bills to ensure that payment is applicable to what is being owed

Unless the bills are in the landlord's name then the deposit should be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kcdiom wrote: »
    So I have moved out of my rented property and the (large, 'professional', well known) landlord is refusing to return my deposit until I provide proof from my energy provider that I have closed my account, a copy of the final bill and proof pf payment.

Either you paid the bill or you didn't. Why can the account not be transferred into the landlords name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The landlord is not entitled to this information if the bill was in your name.

Open a dispute.

• Advertisement

Either you paid the bill or you didn't. Why can the account not be transferred into the landlords name?

You cannot transfer a bill into someone elses name. You can only close your own account.

....... wrote: »
    You cannot transfer a bill into someone elses name. You can only close your own account.
    transferring of accounts happens all the time. Usually on the final inspection the meters are read and the suppliers are contacted by phone with the current reading and the name of the new account holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This is an issue because the Utility company will try get any amounts outstanding from the LL if they can't get it from the tenant.

The LL won't be able to turn back on the supply unless its settled.

There's been lots of threads about the supply changing the account to a different person (LL) without their consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I am in credit on my electricity account with BG, as of this date I have no bill to pay because there has not yet been a bill generated. BG are telling me this will take 10 days (presumably working days, so 2 weeks). The meter readings were provided by the LL as I had no access to the meter boxes, and then submitted to BG by me. They will not confirm in writing that the account has been closed in my name until the bill is generated, however its in my name, not the LLs.

The LL needs to take on the account, I can't just transfer it into their name even though I have provided their details to BG, along with my forwarding address which the LL also has. I was unaware that there is any possibility the utility company could chase the LL for bills outstanding in my name rather than theirs (again, there is not yet a bill as they have not produced it).

Open a dispute.

I opened a dispute a few minutes ago. It's very irritating because I just want my deposit back and have never had an issue paying my bills so wouldn't start now!

• Advertisement

transferring of accounts happens all the time. Usually on the final inspection the meters are read and the suppliers are contacted by phone with the current reading and the name of the new account holder.

Yes - when it is initiated by the person wanting to take ownership of the account.

But you cant transfer the account into someone elses name - otherwise everyone would be at that and making someone liable for an outstanding bill.

Open a dispute.
    I quoted the law, it is a tenant obligation to pay its utility bills if written in the lease and I got a termination notice validated at the RTB because a tenant was not paying utility bills in his name. If it is written in the lease the OP will have to present some way of showing that he/she has paid the bills (since there are definitely liabilities for the LL if the OP does not pay even if in the OP name!). The only matter that can be argued is the amount of deposit that should be already returned to the OP. The OP should request a partial refund of deposit now and the full balance when he/she provides proof of payment, without hiding behing GPDR BS that does not apply in this case.

Opening an RTB dispute will be a huge waste of time for the OP and the LL, of course you risk nothing suggesting this course of action, so it is very easy for you.

I opened a dispute a few minutes ago. It's very irritating because I just want my deposit back and have never had an issue paying my bills so wouldn't start now!
    You will definitely learn a few things then.

Yes - when it is initiated by the person wanting to take ownership of the account.

But you cant transfer the account into someone elses name - otherwise everyone would be at that and making someone liable for an outstanding bill.

It is done all of the time. Utility companies put the landlords name o the account and send bills. If the LL read the meter they should accept the account from the reading they gave. They will be liable until they get a new tenant.

I quoted the law, it is a tenant obligation to pay its utility bills if written in the lease and I got a termination notice validated at the RTB because a tenant was not paying utility bills in his name. If it is written in the lease the OP will have to present some way of showing that he/she has paid the bills (since there are definitely liabilities for the LL if the OP does not pay even if in the OP name!). The only matter that can be argued is the amount of deposit that should be already returned to the OP. The OP should request a partial refund of deposit now and the full balance when he/she provides proof of payment, without hiding behing GPDR BS that does not apply in this case.

Opening an RTB dispute will be a huge waste of time for the OP and the LL, of course you risk nothing suggesting this course of action, so it is very easy for you.

The reason I mentioned GDPR is because the LL has already had issues with data breaches so I am not convinced that the data I submit will be held correctly.

They are refusing to return any part of my (2.5k) deposit until I can produce evidence I have settled the final bill which has not been produced. As I'm in credit on my account, its even more irritating.

(since there are definitely liabilities for the LL if the OP does not pay even if in the OP name!).

Nope - the electricity provider cannot make you liable for a tenants bill.

Nope - the electricity provider cannot make you liable for a tenants bill.

They don't make the landlord liable but they ofte refuse to re-connect if they are not paid.

The reason I mentioned GDPR is because the LL has already had issues with data breaches so I am not convinced that the data I submit will be held correctly.

They are refusing to return any part of my (2.5k) deposit until I can produce evidence I have settled the final bill which has not been produced. As I'm in credit on my account, its even more irritating.

Why cant you produce evidence with and data you do not wish the LL to see blacked out?

What is on the final bill that you feel is a GDPR risk?

Why cant you produce evidence with and data you do not wish the LL to see blacked out?

What is on the final bill that you feel is a GDPR risk?

Because the energy supplier wont produce the bill for almost 2 weeks. Irrespective of this my main issue is their refusal to return any part of my deposit without meeting their requirement to produce a copy of the final bill and proof its been paid. The GDPR issue is basically that I don't believe they are entitled to that data, and I cannot prove or disprove that.

You quoted a law, but it's doesnt apply here.

The RTB are very clear, landlord cannot withhold deposit unless the bills are in his name.

You having a termination notice upheld is irrelevant to a discussion about a deposit.

• Advertisement

Why is the o/p complaining anyway? The landlord will be ordered to pay him extra for failure to promptly return his deposit.

Why is the o/p complaining anyway? The landlord will be ordered to pay him extra for failure to promptly return his deposit.

Thats kind of an obtuse comment.

The OP is complaining because the LL is illegally withholding their money.

Thats kind of an obtuse comment.

The OP is complaining because the LL is illegally withholding their money.

Yes, and the o/p is going to get the money plus damages. Happy days.

Eh because it's my money and I want it back? I'm not looking for extra.

Because the energy supplier wont produce the bill for almost 2 weeks. Irrespective of this my main issue is their refusal to return any part of my deposit without meeting their requirement to produce a copy of the final bill and proof its been paid. The GDPR issue is basically that I don't believe they are entitled to that data, and I cannot prove or disprove that.

So the LL wants you to produce a bill you dont have before they give you back a deposit that they are not entitled to withhold.

Its this kind of behaviour that gives LLs a bad name.

You will get your money, Im sorry that you have to be treated like to this get it though.

Yes, and the o/p is going to get the money plus damages. Happy days.

With a gap where he or she has not got the money at all.

Are you really so obtuse that you cannot see the issue here?

Or are you just trolling for lolz?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Am I missing something here?

Produce the closing statement, you get your deposit back, but refuse to produce it, open a dispute, wait for months for a ruling, then maybe get your money back. Op, the solution would seem obvious to most.

With a gap where he or she has not got the money at all.

Are you really so obtuse that you cannot see the issue here?

Or are you just trolling for lolz?

The o/p should look on it as an investment.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

Produce the closing statement, you get your deposit back, but refuse to produce it, open a dispute, wait for months for a ruling, then maybe get your money back. Op, the solution would seem obvious to most.

The OP doesnt have the closing statement and wont for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

The o/p should look on it as an investment.

Grow up please.

Enforced investing? What planet are you on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement