Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Abbyleix ?

Options
  • 28-03-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, so i have recently bought a house with my partner in Abbyleix. We are both from kildare ,on the dublin side. We chose to buy here because of the house price 171,000 compared with 300,000 where we are from. I work in lucan 1 hour and 5 minutes ia going to take me to commute. I am worried about the commute to and from work. Does anyone have any advice for me or have they done this themself? Also if your from abbyleix can you tell me about nice things to do or places to visit. Any tips on how to settle in a new place would be much appreciated too. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Kellym65 wrote: »
    Hi all, so i have recently bought a house with my partner in Abbyleix. We are both from kildare ,on the dublin side. We chose to buy here because of the house price 171,000 compared with 300,000 where we are from. I work in lucan 1 hour and 5 minutes ia going to take me to commute. I am worried about the commute to and from work. Does anyone have any advice for me or have they done this themself? Also if your from abbyleix can you tell me about nice things to do or places to visit. Any tips on how to settle in a new place would be much appreciated too. Thanks in advance :)
    Abbeyleix is a nice little place. Nothing really to do there though. Portlaoise is the nearest place to you, about 12 minutes away. Nearly always speed vans on the road to Portlaoise. What’s your worry about the commute? 12 minutes, then onto the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kellym65

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Abbeyleix is a nice little place. Nothing really to do there though. Portlaoise is the nearest place to you, about 12 minutes away. Nearly always speed vans on the road to Portlaoise. What’s your worry about the commute? 12 minutes, then onto the motorway.

Hey thanks so much for the reply. Thanks for warning me.about the speed vans. Thats true about the commute, my commute atm is 20 mins to work so i suppose its the longer distance that worries me. And seeing what others thought about commutting for an hour 5 mins from abbyleix to lucan. I take from your comment you dont think its too bad?

Hey thanks so much for the reply. Thanks for warning me.about the speed vans. Thats true about the commute, my commute atm is 20 mins to work so i suppose its the longer distance that worries me. And seeing what others thought about commutting for an hour 5 mins from abbyleix to lucan. I take from your comment you dont think its too bad?

Well I’m not a big fan of driving to Dublin, at the best of times. But I always found Lucan handy. It’s probably the easiest place to get to. Plus, the journey will be made a lot easier when the extra lanes will be open on the motorway soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Forgive me for saying, but why buy the house there if the commute bothers you that much? I get that it’s way cheaper and all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well I’m not a big fan of driving to Dublin, at the best of times. But I always found Lucan handy. It’s probably the easiest place to get to. Plus, the journey will be made a lot easier when the extra lanes will be open on the motorway soon.

Is Lucan that handy from the N7? Not really I would have thought. Handier from the N4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lucan is not that handy from N7. Suppose it depends on the timing of the commute. The N7 is a car park most mornings from junction 7 or 8 in all the way to the M50.

When I go to Lucan, I take the road for Newcastle. I never get stuck in traffic. It’s about 50mins from Portlaoise

I often got stuck there at Adamstown and all the way along that road to Supervalu.

road_high wrote: »
    Forgive me for saying, but why buy the house there if the commute bothers you that much? I get that it’s way cheaper and all

Hey yeah i have obviously thought about the commute before buying and guessed it was doable. Now that i am getting ready to move in i am worried about the drive. I commuted from college for 6 years and 1 and half each way and i managed so im sure il manage here too. I put this post up to get a feel for what other peoples commute times were and how they managed.

anewme wrote: »
    Lucan is not that handy from N7. Suppose it depends on the timing of the commute. The N7 is a car park most mornings from junction 7 or 8 in all the way to the M50.

Hey, id be leaving abbyleix at 7, i start work at 9.00 Am do you think at 7 the traffic would br bad on the n7?

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I often got stuck there at Adamstown and all the way along that road to Supervalu.

What time would that be at?

When I go to Lucan, I take the road for Newcastle. I never get stuck in traffic. It’s about 50mins from Portlaoise

What time would you be usually on the n7 at?

Do you know when the extra lanes are due to be finished? Would you come off the n7 onto the m50 or would you go through newcastle?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hey yeah i have obviously thought about the commute before buying and guessed it was doable. Now that i am getting ready to move in i am worried about the drive. I commuted from college for 6 years and 1 and half each way and i managed so im sure il manage here too. I put this post up to get a feel for what other peoples commute times were and how they managed.

Are there any public transport options you can get. There’s a great train and bus service from Portlaoise. Won’t go directly to Lucan but perhaps you can get off close like Adamstown or some place.

Do you know when the extra lanes are due to be finished? Would you come off the n7 onto the m50 or would you go through newcastle?

Come off at Newcastle defo.

Or come off where Airmotive was. Suppose it depends what part of Lucan where you have to get to.

I work near Liffey Valley and take the M50- one little thing stops it and it’s grudlick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

I'm from just outside Monasterevin. Now and then I have to travel to Citywest for meetings and it takes an hour on a good morning. 15 minutes to reach junction 14 and then about 40 minutes to reach Citywest. That would be without any breakdowns or accidents.

The other thing to consider is the fuel cost. Abbeyleix to Lucan is about 100km. That will be about 6 litres of fuel each way on average. That's €100 a week.

Certainly in the short term it can be done, but I'd be always on the lookout for a job closer to home and Abbeyleix is a good commuter option for Kilkenny, Portlaoise, Carlow and probably as far as Naas. A combination between high fuel and time on the road would prevent me from doing this for any length of time.

As for meeting people. Always plenty of groups in these areas, especially in Portlaoise. Toastmasters would be my own first call as you both meet people and learn speaking techniques which can assist in looking for new job.

What time would that be at?

From about 8.30.

Hey, id be leaving abbyleix at 7, i start work at 9.00 Am do you think at 7 the traffic would br bad on the n7?

You would be better off leaving at that time to be fair.

I left house at about 6.30am the other day to go to a gym class near Newcastle. Was shocked at the amount of traffic on N7 from J 7 even at that hour.

I’ve no idea. I’d say early next year at a guess.
    As for times, if you avoid school traffic I’d say you’d be fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

I’ve no idea. I’d say early next year at a guess.
    As for times, if you avoid school traffic I’d say you’d be fine

In 4 weeks we've been told.
    The entire project including Sallins bypass will be finished by October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Posted this on the thread you have in C&T OP.. it'll take you 90 mins minimum at that hour I reckon.

You'll be dealing with the logjam that is the M7 most days, as well as the M50/surrounding areas, or you could come off the M7 earlier and go via Maynooth and the M4 (which also is regularly backed up)
    I do a similar (but slightly shorter) trip to what you're proposing and it's easily an hour most days - any accidents and you could be crawling for an hour extra :(

I also wouldn't put too much faith in those roadworks making a huge difference. The N7 is often at a standstill at Kill inbound. All the extra lane will do is get people there faster.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, but an hour is extremely optimistic - for wht you're suggesting, 90 mins+ would be a better estimate IMO

Advertisement