Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - Round 2 – Bahrain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Shout out to Norris as well today, great result for him. And Albon who got his first points. F1 has plenty of talent coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's a funny one, normally you're first podium would be something great to remember but you can see how disappointed Leclerc was. Rightfully so too.

Again great from Lewis in the drivers room with the encouragement. I would love Leclerc to bounce back and win the next one, I'd say he'd go nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

skipper_G wrote: »
    Shout out to Norris as well today, great result for him. And Albon who got his first points. F1 has plenty of talent coming through

Been impressed with Norris myself, seems like an old head on young shoulders. Good to see Mclaren not being terrible aswell.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's a funny one, normally you're first podium would be something great to remember but you can see how disappointed Leclerc was. Rightfully so too.

Again great from Lewis in the drivers room with the encouragement. I would love Leclerc to bounce back and win the next one, I'd say he'd go nuts!

Be great to see him win his home race in Monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

What a race, enthralled from start to finish. Gutten for Le Clerc, very cruel, but he'll have plenty more cracks at the top spot very soon. You could see how gutted he was, yet so mature about it. If I were Vettel, I'd be getting slightly worried about now...I feel there's a shift coming at Ferrari.

Absolute 'mare for Renault, a 'mare for Ricciardo too. He must be starting to wonder now what the hell he's done. McLaren looking so much better, though certain tracks flatter certain cars, so it remains to be seen if it's a real improvement or temporary. Would have expected more from Kubica too, he needs to start reeling his rookie team mate in prontola.

If anyone wants more motorsports today

Moto GP on BT Sport 2 around 6.30
    Nascar on Eir Sport 2 around 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Inviere wrote: »
    What a race, enthralled from start to finish. Gutten for Le Clerc, very cruel, but he'll have plenty more cracks at the top spot very soon. You could see how gutted he was, yet so mature about it. If I were Vettel, I'd be getting slightly worried about now...I feel there's a shift coming at Ferrari.

Absolute 'mare for Renault, a 'mare for Ricciardo too. He must be starting to wonder now what the hell he's done. McLaren looking so much better, though certain tracks flatter certain cars, so it remains to be seen if it's a real improvement or temporary. Would have expected more from Kubica too, he needs to start reeling his rookie team mate in prontola.
    Norris might be, but Sainz was running behind the Williams for quite a while before also parking in the garage. I think it's nip and tuck between them.

flazio wrote: »
    Norris might be, but Sainz was running behind the Williams for quite a while before also parking in the garage. I think it's nip and tuck between them.

Sainz was unfortunate that Verstappen used him to get around turn 4. Lost alot of time getting back to the pits and probably had damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sainz had contact with Verstappen, which ruined his race. Regardless, the car looks to be performing a lot stronger than it has been for the last few seasons. I'm hoping it's not track dependant, and that was true pace they showed today.

Can't see Gasly lasting the season at Red Bull either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kvyat will replace Gasly before season end.

If Leclerc keeps up this level it will put Ferrari in a pickle for 2020.

Shamelessly stole this:

Lack of reliability from Renault costs Red Bull a podium...some things never change

xvitkybt6hp21.jpg

Renault & VDG also had this exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Sainz was unfortunate that Verstappen used him to get around turn 4. Lost alot of time getting back to the pits and probably had damage.

He did have damage. Verstappen should have got a penalty for that. Delighted he did not get third place and that Charles got it and to stand on the podium even if it was not the step he should have been on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Faugheen wrote:
    This is so hard to watch. LeClerc was easily the best driver out there today and has had the win (and podium) stolen from him for reasons completely beyond their control.

How can you claim that? Mechanical failures are part of the game. Hamilton drove a superbly judged race and his victory was fully deserved. The winner is the best driver on the day.

chicorytip wrote: »
    How can you claim that? Mechanical failures are part of the game. Hamilton drove a superbly judged race and his victory was fully deserved. The winner is the best driver on the day.

The best driver whos car doesnt fail I assume you mean?

Hamilton "superbly judged race" was not gunna win but for Leclercs misfortune?

• Advertisement

No one can say for sure if Leclerc would have won had his engine not failed.
    His engine did fail and he was very fortunate to finish on the podium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

Soon much going on , lots of entertainment .

Unlucky for Charles , these thing happen his wins will come.

Thought Riccardo was in for a good race but Renault do not seem to know what to do, poor strategy. The cars are running much closer year . Going for one stops very very risky .

Haas way under performed.

Good Toro got points again . Should be higher up I feel , as in both cars in the last too point positions .

I am gonna say I felt Vettel actually did the team job today.unless there is radio chat that says different I don't think it was bottling it . He defended brilliantly the previous lap , just great driving form both him and lewis . Looking at replays the car just goes from him , there doesn't even seem to be any rear wheel spin or very little to go form .

Honda/Redbull have a ways to go they are third best but need more from the car and more from Gasly

Hope for more of the same in China .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I've a feeling even after 2 races Ricciardo realises he has fcuked up joining Renault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I've a feeling even after 2 races Ricciardo realises he has fcuked up joining Renault.
    He's done an Alonso, took a chance in leaving a team that's not good enough to win a championship to join a team that probably have promised a lot.

Shame Sainz clashed with Verstappen and Norris had an off at the start, McLaren could have a had a good haul of points. Hard to know where they stand. The midfield pack is very tight.

Vettels a lost cause at this stage. How many mistakes has he made when under pressure. Alonso would probably have got Ferrari over the line and won a championship if had of stuck it out and had the cars Vettel has had.

Norris has impressed so far. Poor Russell got the worst car of the rookies.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Even Hamilton admits he got lucky today and that Mercedes have a lot of work to do. You can deserve the win but get lucky in the process. Hamilton drove a great race today.

LeClerc didn't win the race for reasons beyond his control. He was cruising up until that point. He was the best driver today. The best driver doesn't always win the race. This has happened to Hamilton as well.

I don't know why you feel the need to get so defensive with me. It's not an outrageous thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I found it rather amusing the way the commentators were going on and on about how great China usually is, and then dropped in the bit about it only being on the f1 channel :D With the way f1 is gone the last 5 or so years we’re not going to get two great races back to back. I’ll probably only do highlights for China but even if I do watch the full thing I won’t be subscribing to sky f1!

Faugheen wrote:
    I don't know why you feel the need to get so defensive with me. It's not an outrageous thing to say.

Not at all. That's not my intention. Your opinion is valid. I disagree with it. That's all.

OSI wrote: »
    How Vettel had the stones to win 4 titles I'll never know. He's shown time and again over the past couple of seasons that he has a ridiculously fragile mind for a racing driver at the front.

It may be a case of that confidence, at times over confidence, the younger drivers have. We see it now. Most think they're the best and unstoppable, and that mentality can help leaps and bounds for a driver.

I'm not saying he doesn't have it still but he was care free when he came in as the young star and has struggled as one of the older guards who are meant to have a wise head on their shoulders.

Like you said he's made many mistakes of late, Lewis played him perfectly today, he was too concerned over defending and retaking the position to even worry or prepare himself for the wind around the corner. Seemed with the comments Lewis made he was aiming to use it, came in prepared and noted the flag he could see blowing to indicate it. Now you wouldn't expect a four time champion to slip up like that but it can happen.

It's still way to early to rule him out of winning his fifth title mins you. Car seems fast this year, but he will need to cut out the mistakes.

How Leclerc does will either spurn him on our like before stump him. Maybe it was the setup or track but Leclerc looked miles better this week.

Although I'm a Leclerc and Ricciardo fan I would like to see Vettel back to his best, mainly due to the Hamilton rivalry and the fan reactions that comes with that.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Even Hamilton admits he got lucky today and that Mercedes have a lot of work to do. You can deserve the win but get lucky in the process. Hamilton drove a great race today.

LeClerc didn't win the race for reasons beyond his control. He was cruising up until that point. He was the best driver today. The best driver doesn't always win the race. This has happened to Hamilton as well.

I don't see how anyone can claim Leclerc wasn't the best driver today. Like you said Hamilton pretty much said as much, and the viewers poll reflected it too.

I hope not. They should have had both cars in the points today.

I think the goal sold to him was next year they will be competitive. I reckon he may believe a seat in Mercedes or Ferrari will be open by his third year and hoping he has a chance of it. But I doubt that will happen.

Really hope he can have some success this year with a Renault. After the Netflix doc a podium finish would be brilliant to see the interaction between Cyril and Horner.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Ricciardo should be worrying about his team-mate before thinking about a potential seat in Ferrari or Mercedes.

Hulkenburg completely outclassed him today, and is being written off far too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think Ricciardo should be worrying about his team-mate before thinking about a potential seat in Ferrari or Mercedes.

Hulkenburg completely outclassed him today, and is being written off far too quickly.

RIC was given a dud strategy which compromised him badly

If Leclerc emerges as the better driver Seb wont be in a Ferrari next year. Ferrari dont have a driver waiting in the wings so wouldn't suprise me if Hul/Ric actually got the gig beside Leclerc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Leclerc emerges as the better driver Seb wont be in a Ferrari next year. Ferrari dont have a driver waiting in the wings so wouldn't suprise me if Hul/Ric actually got the gig beside Leclerc.

Oh, but in the wings today I saw Mick Schumacher. Well maybe he'll have to do a year in Alfa....

The young lads are impressing. Norris did a fine job today.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Oh, but in the wings today I saw Mick Schumacher. Well maybe he'll have to do a year in Alfa....

The young lads are impressing. Norris did a fine job today.

Really impressed by Norris! Youngest grid in donkeys and some exciting drivers for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Rubbish, Ricciardo outqualified Hulk and kept ahead in the first stint, his race fell apart because he was eking out the laps on dead tires trying for a 1 stop when all the others had fresh rubber. It was a bad strategy to spend a whole race nursing tyres, especially for a driver like Danny who is so good at wheel to wheel racing.

As for him regretting the move, he has made it clear that he didn't expect to be competitive in 2019, that it would be 20 or even 21 before Renault expected to be capable of providing a front running car.

I would say that unless Red Bull turn the season around and give Max a championship winning car he will not be too bothered, he was less than happy with RB seeming to be favouring Max and also there was a money issue.

Switching from a team like RB for a promise of future performance in a midfield team is always a gamble, it isn't going to be decided in 2 races if it was a good or bad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Oh god so disappointed for Charles. Fierce impressed with Lewis. So gracious with LeClerc after the race and very humble in his interview on C4. He really has matured so much over the last couple of years.

It looks like it's going to be a cracking season.......on C4 highlights:(

astrofluff wrote: »

He has to do well in F2 first, he wasn't bad today, first race and all but he will need to up his performance over the year before he deserves a F1 drive on more than his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Vic_08 wrote: »
    He has to do well in F2 first, he wasn't bad today, first race and all but he will need to up his performance over the year before he deserves a F1 drive on more than his name.

exactly . too many drivers came up too fast and couldnt cope .

Not at all. That's not my intention. Your opinion is valid. I disagree with it. That's all.

There's opinions and there's talking sh!t.

According to you Hamilton was the best driver today, LeClerc is anodyne and boring and not star quality, Grosjean blocking the racing line in qualy was not dangerous, Chandhook should be replaced by Kravitz, and all Charlie Whiting did was safety inspections and flag waving.

Vic_08 wrote:

Vic_08 wrote:
    According to you Hamilton was the best driver today, LeClerc is anodyne and boring and not star quality, Grosjean blocking the racing line in qualy was not dangerous, Chandhook should be replaced by Kravitz, and all Charlie Whiting did was safety inspections and flag waving.

I may not agree with your opinion but I will defend your right to hold it. I expect you to afford me the same courtesy.

Vic_08 wrote: »

Dont forget Grosjean deserved to replace Kimi at Ferrari instead of Leclerc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well after watching the race highlights tonight on Channel 4+1; my level of respect for LeClerc has gone way way higher after he did a brilliant performance at Bahrain all weekend. It's such a shame that he didn't win it to cap it off in front of his new fans. He is a fantastic driver who deserves great things coming to him. He thoroughly deserved to be today's winner instead of Hamilton. Although; Hamilton showed real class afterwards with giving kind words & commiserations to LeClerc when the race was over as it was a very nice gesture. It was a great race. I thought it was anti-climatic to see it conclude with a SC. I would have preferred to see things a little more favourable with LeClerc getting the win & achieving the fair result that he wanted. But it wasn't meant to be for today.

I saw the stuff with Vettel with his error with Hamilton. It was bizarre stuff altogether. He was a good 34 seconds behind Hamilton when he finished the race tonight. That kind of outcome is very unlike Vettel. He is usually not that far behind Hamilton when he was up against him last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Sainz had a puncture after clash with Verstappen. Felt he should have taken a leaf out of Hamilton's book and been more cautious of Max, who ruined his race there and then. Would have been nice for the two newbies to give McL a double points finish. Seemed an exciting race despite the highlights making it impossible to follow tyre strategy... F u Bernie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »

Giovinazzi is the next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Harika wrote: »
    Giovinazzi is the next in line.

I hope not

I saw the stuff with Vettel with his error with Hamilton. It was bizarre stuff altogether. He was a good 34 seconds behind Hamilton when he finished the race tonight. That kind of outcome is very unlike Vettel. He is usually not that far behind Hamilton when he was up against him last season.

Suppose a combination of an extra pit stop (around 23 seconds), the couple of seconds from the spin, and didn't he damage under the car when the front wing went under him?

Disaster really for Vettel to end it. didn't see his post race interviews but may be interesting to see how he handle the questions.

Apparently Ricciardo had the same issue that Sainz had in Australia.

Something very wrong with Renault engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Was a decent race. Poor LeClerc was unfortunate, but, he'll learn from it no doubt. I got to see most of it on Sky 1.
    Does anyone know what races will be on Sky 1 for the rest of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Was a decent race. Poor LeClerc was unfortunate, but, he'll learn from it no doubt. I got to see most of it on Sky 1.
    Does anyone know what races will be on Sky 1 for the rest of the season?

It's not pre announced like which races were live on Channel 4. You just have to watch the schedules.

It's not pre announced like which races were live on Channel 4. You just have to watch the schedules.

They had a red button promt on sky q to subscribe to there f1 channel so maybe they will only show a few races on Sky 1.

From F1 point of view they should encourage them to keep it on sky one. Otherwise they will loose bucket loads of viewers over next few years. Basic sky package isn't too bad if bundles with broadband but paying extra for sky sports and then extra for HD doubles the price and not value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Suppose a combination of an extra pit stop (around 23 seconds), the couple of seconds from the spin, and didn't he damage under the car when the front wing went under him?

Disaster really for Vettel to end it. didn't see his post race interviews but may be interesting to see how he handle the questions.

The Italian press were critical of Vettel after Australia, can imagine the reaction is going to be apoplectic this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I saw the stuff with Vettel with his error with Hamilton. It was bizarre stuff altogether.

The aftermath of the spin was quite bizarre indeed and it's weird that nobody talks about it - a relatively fresh rear tire delaminated and literally threw a chunk of itself out after a single spin and a front one suffered a puncture in the process. Let's remember - at no point the cars made any contact, so a simple spin, at low speed no less (F1 cars exit that corner at around 150-160kph in normal conditions, considering they were battling, the speed was most likely lower) destroyed at least two tires. I don't think I had ever seen it in 30+ years of F1, even when drivers like Mansell and Alesi recovered from spins by lighting up the rears before the car even came to a stop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Sebastian-Vettel-22-700x367.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement