Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pretentious Movies

Comments

Call me by your name.

yep - and if the young lad was a girl of the same age would have been shot down as a pedo movie.

Mulholland Drive I would also agree with - bullsh1t premise imo.

Lost in translation - no, good movie.

Birdman - over-rated certainly, not necessarily pretentious.

The Nicolas Cage movie where he played twin brothers was a bit "arty". Adaption. But not fully arsey.

Black Swan - pretentious twaddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

glasso wrote: »
    yep - and if the young lad was a girl of the same age would have been shot down as a pedo movie.
    What? No it wouldn't have. The age of consent in Italy is 14. Nothing wrong with a 24 year old and a 17 year old. "A pedo movie" would have to involve a sexual attraction to prepubescent individuals, which Call Me By Your Name does not have.

What? No it wouldn't have. The age of consent in Italy is 14. Nothing wrong with a 24 year old and a 17 year old. "A pedo movie" would have to involve a sexual attraction to prepubescent individuals, which Call Me By Your Name does not have.

Armie hammer easily looked over 30 in the film and the other guy young so it looked like a 32 year old and a 15 year old imo.

Uncomfortable stuff and as a said if it similar but hetro there would have been outcry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

Interstellar. Visual effects were great but felt like I was being talked-down to for the whole film. Very up its own arse.

Armie hammer easily looked over 30 in the film and the other guy young so it looked like a 32 year old and a 15 year old imo.

Uncomfortable stuff and as a said if it similar but hetro there would have been outcry.
    I really don't think so. There's been plenty of heterosexual plots with age gaps. A seven year gap when both are over the age of consent isn't going to cause moral outrage to any huge degree.

Ultimately, it depends on the actual plot and if the acts are legal, regardless of small age gaps and genders involved.

I really don't think so. There's been plenty of heterosexual plots with age gaps. A seven year gap when both are over the age of consent isn't going to cause moral outrage to any huge degree.

Ultimately, it depends on the actual plot and if the acts are legal, regardless of small age gaps and genders involved.

But it didn't look like a 7 year age gap whatever the book was about.

I'd agree with the opinion expressed in this Gay site

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.queerty.com/karamo-brown-thinks-call-name-problematic-fck-20181215/amp
    “I know we’re calling [Oliver] a college student, but it looks like a grown man having sex with a little boy,” he added. “And for me, I just was not OK with that. And I was like, ‘Why are we pretending like this is OK in any sense, fashion, or form?’”

He continues: “If that was an older man or a perceived college student who looked that much older with a 16 or 17-year-old girl, we would have all had a hissy fit. We would have recognized that this is a problem. But for some reason, because it was two men, we’re just like, ‘Oh, well, this is just exploration.’”

So you have a problem with the casting then? Not the story? If it was a "heterosexual film", the actors would be different and possibly look much closer to their character's ages of 24 and 17.

It was a Summer in the early 80s in Italy, where the age of consent is 14. Modern eyes looking at it and getting outraged is just something those types of people do.

It does not matter what "something looks like", it matters what is, especially when you're labelling something as a "pedo movie".

So you have a problem with the casting then? Not the story? If it was a "heterosexual film", the actors would be different and possibly look much closer to their character's ages of 24 and 17.

It was a Summer in the early 80s in Italy, where the age of consent is 14. Modern eyes looking at it and getting outraged is just something those types of people do.

It does not matter what "something looks like", it matters what is, especially when you're labelling something as a "pedo movie".

yes 24 / 17 is ok but film is not like that. the film is not the book.

call it casting or whatever but it comes across like a borderline Kevin Spacey / Anthony Rapp situation.

it doesn't matter what the age of consent was in 1980s Italy. exploitative at best.

older guy looks over 30 and the younger guy 15/16 - much like the first incident that came out about Spacey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

If you need a pen and paper to keep track of the plot in usual suspects, you're out of your depth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

limnam wrote: »
    If you need a pen and paper to keep track of the plot in usual suspects, you're out of your depth.

Or if you don't think it's a total cop out movie you are similarly out of your depth.

I bet you think the Godfather is good too?

• Advertisement

Sure.

I should hang my head in shame. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

See this post has more in common with pretentiousness than a lot of the movies listed.

adox wrote: »
    See this post has more in common with pretentiousness than a lot of the movies listed.

Dissing the Godfather always gets people's backs up. I've no idea why except maybe people arent sure if they like it but they know they have to like it or risk other people's scorn.

To pretend to like a movie you didnt understand is the very height of pretentiousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dissing the Godfather always gets people's backs up. I've no idea why except maybe people arent sure if they like it but they know they have to like it or risk other people's scorn.

To pretend to like a movie you didnt understand is the very height of pretentiousness.

You missed the point completely. It’s nothing to do with dissing The Godfather.

Also I’ve no idea where you got the idea that people pretend to like it or didn’t understand it.

adox wrote: »
    Also I’ve no idea where you got the idea that people pretend to like it or didn’t understand it.

I got the idea from years and years of listening to people's reaction to it.

Family guy did it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnwE_Oy5WI

The only hard thing to understand is your logic.

Someone points out it was odd that a film critique required pen and paper to keep track of the plot in Usual Suspects from there to guessing someone you don't know likes godfather because people pretend to like it....

:confused::confused:

limnam wrote:
    Someone points out it was odd that a film critique required pen and paper to keep track of the plot in Usual Suspects from there to guessing someone you don't know likes godfather because people pretend to like it....

limnam wrote:
    The only hard thing to understand is your logic.

You should've kept out of it basically.
    Trying to look like a clever clogs was your undoing.

You should've kept out of it basically.
    Trying to look like a clever clogs was your undoing.

Sound.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ravn

Neon demon
    7 psychopaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The thin red line - 2 + hours of Malickian masturbation over swaying grass, disguised as a war film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Mulholland Drive I would also agree with - bullsh1t premise imo.

Lost in translation - no, good movie.

Birdman - over-rated certainly, not necessarily pretentious.

The Nicolas Cage movie where he played twin brothers was a bit "arty". Adaption. But not fully arsey.

Black Swan - pretentious twaddle.

Had forgotten about Black Swan, 100% agree, left the cinema furious, it was pretentious and bad.

Lost in translation was beautifully shot, and had a great cast with good performances, but imo totally pretentious and smarmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Only God Forgives is the most pretentious movie by the worlds most pretentious director.

Funnily enough I hate Drive for the same reason but liked Only God Forgives as I was prepared for it! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've always found the relationship in Lost in Translation and how its written very unpretentious. Unlike something like Before Sunrise where the two main characters engage in long conversations about philosophy while drinking espressos and walking around Vienna, Murray and Johansson barely speak in Lost in Translation and when they do talk it's about very ordinary stuff. But maybe it's the fact that they aren't having pretentious conversations about life and relationships that makes it pretentious? A lot of the films mentioned in this thread are notable for their lack of dialogue or having long silences, so maybe that's what many people mean by "pretentious".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Arrival ( with Amy Adams)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's one on TV at this very moment....Interstellar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Arrival ( with Amy Adams)

Don't agree with you Arrival is a classic!
    Two that stick out for me are
    The English Patient & Barton Fink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'Synecdoche, New York'. A film so far up its own hole it deserted a narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Don't agree with you Arrival is a classic!
    Two that stick out for me are
    The English Patient & Barton Fink

Arrival is the most gratuitously liberal movie ever made, dreadful

Fink is classic coen brothers, darkly comic and sly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

The thin red line - 2 + hours of Malickian masturbation over swaying grass, disguised as a war film.

I was going to post this one, it must be in the top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes.....but..the push for the hill scene with nick nolte blasting down the orders over the phone is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Arrival is the most gratuitously liberal movie ever made, dreadful

Gratuitously liberal? Are you sure you understand what the word gratuitous means? Because I'm not sure you do.

How exactly was Arrival gratuitously liberal? Mankind working together was integral to the plot. Like it was literally the entire point. There was nothing gratuitous about it.

The fact that you consider "not blowing each other up" as liberal is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, was going to post about 'The Thin Red Line'.

Far, far, too many hick 20 something's waxing lyrical about the nature of evil and war, as if they're all WWII Siegfried Sassoon's or Wilfred Owen's.

It's a shame, because when the voice overs stop, there's actually a decent film in there. It just gets ruined by the silly voice overs. We don't need to hear what grunts are thinking to know that war is shit.

I'd love to see a cut with all of the VO's removed.

Call me by your name.

That's what I immediately thought of. That speech by the father designed solely for getting an Oscar was some of the most pretentious stuff I've ever seen. Awful movie.

As to Birdman, it somehow pulls it off. I think it's because it's self-aware. I don't know. Great movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Lost in Translation.
    Yeah never got the love for that film, some oul peadophile manages to score a young wan ... fuxake like..

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

That's what I immediately thought of. That speech by the father designed solely for getting an Oscar was some of the most pretentious stuff I've ever seen. Awful movie.

Well the monologue is pretty much taken directly from the novel, so I doubt the author had Oscar noms on his mind when he wrote the book years ago :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

American Beauty is incredibly pretentious. I love it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Truly awful film. Ponderous, meandering and an overall hugely unsatisfying experience.

Great soundtrack though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, was going to post about 'The Thin Red Line'.

Far, far, too many hick 20 something's waxing lyrical about the nature of evil and war, as if they're all WWII Siegfried Sassoon's or Wilfred Owen's.

It's a shame, because when the voice overs stop, there's actually a decent film in there. It just gets ruined by the silly voice overs. We don't need to hear what grunts are thinking to know that war is shit.

I'd love to see a cut with all of the VO's removed.
    You sure do love to repeat yourself, about The Thin Red Line.

4th February 2016:
    Having Southern hick grunt 20 year olds, with barely the education to string a coherrent sentence together wax lyrical about the nature of man, nature and cruelty fits the bill.

1st October 2018:
    I'd like to see him recut it without those terrible voiceovers.

Hey, it's just my frank opinion!

:pac:

But, wait til I tell you about the Thin Red Line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least he's consistent to be fair. Not sure what you hope to achieve by trawling through his posts. Thin Red Line is a good but flawed film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Thin Red Line is a good film but the book is much better. What were we saying about pretentiousness again?

At least he's consistent to be fair. Not sure what you hope to achieve by trawling through his posts.
    Like most internet forum posts, I hope to achieve nothing...I just thought it was funny. I didn't "trawl" through his posts, I just remembered the "wax lyrical" line, and the bit about Southern hicks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Thin Red Line had the misfortune to be released the same year as Saving Private Ryan which totally redefined people's perceptions of cinematic realism, mostly for the worse. War was shaky cam, waves of blood, body parts falling from the sky, desaturated colour timing and other hyper-stylised techniques used to disguise the fact that the script was a tribute to US war propaganda movies. Only Spielberg could have pulled it off.

Anyway isn't most of Malick's poetic sounding voice-overs grounded in Christian theology? I don't think you need a liberal arts degree to have those kind of thoughts. Sunday school and reading books would be enough. Whether someone would have those thoughts in a war scenario is another matter but unlike Saving Private Ryan it's not claiming to depict reality.

At least he's consistent to be fair. Not sure what you hope to achieve by trawling through his posts. Thin Red Line is a good but flawed film.

Ah thanks TF. :D

In fairness, I probably do bang on about it and Frank is right.

Still though...I really would love to see a cut without all of that shite.

If I was any good at using Adobe Premiere or After Effects, I do it myself.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The Thin Red Line is a good film but the book is much better.

Very true. But Jones's books have failed to travel well to the screen.

Ah thanks TF. :D

In fairness, I probably do bang on about it and Frank is right.

Still though...I really would love to see a cut without all of that shite.

If I was any good at using Adobe Premiere or After Effects, I do it myself.

They should just release a Nick Nolte version where he is in every scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Very true. But Jones's books have failed to travel well to the screen.

Is From Here to Eternity not worth a go?
    I haven't seen it but thought it was a well regarded film.

They should just release a Nick Nolte version where he is in every scene

And his only line should be "Nuthin's stoppin' us, it's high ground by nightfall!"

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Is From Here to Eternity not worth a go?
    I haven't seen it but thought it was a well regarded film.

It's worth a watch for Sinatra and Borgnine. But, it's not really a good movie. It's stuck with a clunky romance and it never gets out of second gear. It was also hampered by the Hays code, so it's all very safe.

I was never really a fan of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Two I've had the misfortune to watch in the past couple of months:

The Revenant
    Neon Demon

Advertisement