Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turnover crate and in-lamb ewes

• 28-03-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just looking for peoples experiences on using a turnover crate on in-lamb ewes, mainly at what stage if any is it safe to do so.
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi guys,
    Just looking for peoples experiences on using a turnover crate on in-lamb ewes, mainly at what stage if any is it safe to do so.
    Many thanks in advance.

I'd avoid the last 4 weeks definitely and prefer not to at all for the last 6 weeks. A ewe with foot problems, I'd prefer to put them sitting to have a look rather than use the crate from 6 weeks pre lambing, I don't think the stress would do any harm but I'd still prefer to avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd avoid the last 4 weeks definitely and prefer not to at all for the last 6 weeks. A ewe with foot problems, I'd prefer to put them sitting to have a look rather than use the crate from 6 weeks pre lambing, I don't think the stress would do any harm but I'd still prefer to avoid it.

I'd only give them an antibiotic for lameness in the last six weeks., I wouldn't hassle them.
    Advice now is not to pare feet at any time.........that's my excuse anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd only give them an antibiotic for lameness in the last six weeks., I wouldn't hassle them.
    Advice now is not to pare feet at any time.........that's my excuse anyway

I find it easier to give them a one way trip to the factory instead of a foot pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

I find it easier to give them a one way trip to the factory instead of a foot pairing.

And them in lamb🥺🥺🥺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    And them in lamb🥺🥺🥺

Fair enough. Fix them up with alamycn spray, cull tag and send to factory in the autumn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement