Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Study tips for theory test

• 28-03-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Ive had to reschedule my theory test twice now as I just cant remember the amount of information required for the theory test, even simple things like garda hand signals, choosing correct lanes, speed limits on different roads, anything about anti lock braking systems, tire pressure or anything related to the functioning of a car goes out of my head straight away.

Ive never been good at retaining information through studying a book, I learn through being hands on - its the only way I remember anything and I find studying for the theory test so incredibly boring and tedious it's making it that much harder to remember anything.. I can remember the meanings of most of the road signs but thats only because theyre visual and practical, I see them all the time and see how they are used by other drivers, the only ones im struggling to remember are the bus lanes/counter flow etc.
    Its very important that I learn to drive as I need a car for work but just cant seem to get this information to stick in my head. I have done countless mock theory tests and have failed most of them.

Can anyone please give me some study tips. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You want a practical way to do it, the mock tests are the way. If you cant get it, you kneed to figure out why. It's a system designed for everyone to work from, regardless of any other skills.

Why don't you understand lane usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You want a practical way to do it, the mock tests are the way. If you cant get it, you kneed to figure out why. It's a system designed for everyone to work from, regardless of any other skills.

Why don't you understand lane usage?

Its not though, its just like the book, the only difference is youre picking an answer from multiple choices, it still involves retaining words rather than physically doing the activity and learning as you go through experience of driving/road using. I learn by doing and being hands on.
    Ive no experience of road using at all, its not that I dont understand the lane usage im just finding it difficult to remember everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Mock tests would be the best way to cover the breadth of the material.

For things you're finding really hard to remember, one thing that might help is to try and find out the rationale behind them (e.g., correct lane usage in different scenarios). It helps to know the why.

Also, I would recommend watching videos of commentary drives and lessons by ADIs on YouTube. They may not cover a lot of the theory directly but you might pick up a thing or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

zepman wrote: »

For things you're finding really hard to remember, one thing that might help is to try and find out the rationale behind them (e.g., correct lane usage in different scenarios). It helps to know the why.

Also, I would recommend watching videos of commentary drives and lessons by ADIs on YouTube. They may not cover a lot of the theory directly but you might pick up a thing or two.

Thanks, yes thats it, I need to know the 'why' for it to stick. I pass all the common sense questions but theres also allot of questions relating to the gear box, brakes, engine ect and I haven't got a breeze as ive no knowledge about cars at all. I chose practical/assignment based undergrad and master courses for this reason, I hate studying/memorizing random facts and information, particularly when its this boring and will be forgotten within a week of sitting the test - it feels pointless as I wont really grasp all these rules until I use them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thanks, yes thats it, I need to know the 'why' for it to stick. I pass all the common sense questions but theres also allot of questions relating to the gear box, brakes, engine ect and I haven't got a breeze as ive no knowledge about cars at all. I chose practical/assignment based undergrad and master courses for this reason, I hate studying/memorizing random facts and information, particularly when its this boring and will be forgotten within a week of sitting the test - it feels pointless as I wont really grasp all these rules until I use them.

This really is the wrong attitutde to have when it comes to driving. There's nothing you're told, that is irrelevant and forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

zepman wrote: »

Like any topic on YouTube there are some truly awful videos from some ADIs. Beware of what you watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Like any topic on YouTube there are some truly awful videos from some ADIs. Beware of what you watch.

Fair point. The onus is on the learner to take every bit of information with a pinch of salt, and confirm that it aligns with the rules of the road.

I found Dane Tyghe's videos extremely helpful. I also watched commentary drives by some UK ADI's but only with the view of understanding how to deal with various traffic situations, while being mindful of some rules being different.

However, I was watching the videos while preparing for my recent driving test. As I said earlier, for the theory test, the videos may only be helpful to the extent of making one or two things about the rules clear.

Advertisement