Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a mini PC with Windows 10? After set up, it's so slow and barely usable...

Options
  • 29-03-2019 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Any advice welcome CPU usage at 70-100pc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

anything .. specs ad build information be useful
    could be windows updates or windows defendor running updates in the backround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

glomar wrote: »
    anything .. specs ad build information be useful
    could be windows updates or windows defendor running updates in the backround

Sure, see below:

Fanless Mini PC,Intel x5-Z8350 HD Graphics Desktop Computer,Windows 10 64-bit,DDR3L 2GB/32GB eMMC/4K/Built-in WiFi/BT 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

entry level proc .. storage not great either .
    any bloatware installed or did you do a vanila instalation ?

glomar wrote: »
    entry level proc .. storage not great either .
    any bloatware installed or did you do a vanila instalation ?

Didn't install anything yet, just downloaded Chrome...it's even lagging when opening a new tab or clicking out of an application...

your 32gb emmc is very likely already mostly full, and certainly one or two windows updates will fill it

this limits the amount of virtual ram available to run things, as well as the updates manager messing things up in the background by constantly seeing that youre not up to date and generally being a pain

there are things you can do, but short answer is that they would all be temp fixes and you simply need a bigger hard drive for your OS

if the emmc is hardwired in that adds complication to this as the damned thing can be hard to remove as default windows drive even after cloning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

That's a very weak processor. Would you consider using a Linux distro you could test out a distro from USB pen.

that cpu is dire, no two ways about it.

a low-level android phone is more powerful.

not surprised that it's at such a high utilisation.

your 32gb emmc is very likely already mostly full, and certainly one or two windows updates will fill it

this limits the amount of virtual ram available to run things, as well as the updates manager messing things up in the background by constantly seeing that youre not up to date and generally being a pain

there are things you can do, but short answer is that they would all be temp fixes and you simply need a bigger hard drive for your OS

if the emmc is hardwired in that adds complication to this as the damned thing can be hard to remove as default windows drive even after cloning.

So I should just return it and get something faster? Ant recommendations. Need something that can browse fast and stream Netflix, Sports etc easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's the same spec as my 3yr old netbook Lenovo 100. To start run Windows 10 32bit not 64. Takes less space and less ram.

Mine runs ok but it's only good for basic office and web stuff. Can play full hd video etc.

Can you install a add or more ram? You might not be able. What's the name or model of the pc.

It's a Wintel Pro from Amazon. If I can't even browse fast then it's no use to me..

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    So I should just return it and get something faster? Ant recommendations. Need something that can browse fast and stream Netflix, Sports etc easily.

yes, return it.

buy one with a cpu like...

a celeron n4100, n5000 or a pentium 4415u or a core i3 will do.

avoid celeron 4200, despite number it's older and less powerful.

if you buy a barebones one with just the cpu you can add ram and an ssd cheaper yourself.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Beelink-Gemini-N41-Gemini-Lake-N4100-6GB-128GB-Windows-10-Mini-PC-412379.html

even the cheaper option on that page is ok but better to have 6gb ram and 128gb ssd.

for 212 euro it's not bad. I'd go for that one. the 6gb will give you more leeway for multitasking in windows or even just having a lot of browser tabs open and 128gb ssd gives you more room and a lot faster than emmc memory

1 week delivery from any of the European warehouses

for streaming and etc the processor imo isnt the limiter

i run my media pc setup off something quite similar (N3700) and theres no issues

the lack of space available in the OS drive is the limiter based on my own very similar experience with the above

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What did you buy if for? Whats the primary purpose?

for streaming and etc the processor imo isnt the limiter

i run my media pc setup off something quite similar (N3700) and theres no issues

the lack of space available in the OS drive is the limiter based on my own very similar experience with the above

even that is over 50% more powerful than the atom.

Bought it on Amazon for basic browsing and Netflix etc but don't want to be waiting 10 seconds for a new tab.

glasso wrote: »
    even that is over 50% more powerful than the atom.

fair enough i didn't have ability off hand to do direct comparison

OP you def need a bigger hard drive, minimum 50gb for OS imo

as everyone else is noting, several grades higher of processor prob wise also

Bought it on Amazon for basic browsing and Netflix etc but don't want to be waiting 10 seconds for a new tab.

if you can stretch to the 212 euro that I linked on geekbuying that will do the job.

the n4100 cpu is decent enough
    6gb ram for comfortable running
    128gb fast ssd to give you enough space
    hdmi 2 will allow 4k output

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Windows 10 64-bit,DDR3L 2GB/32GB eMMC/4K/Built-in WiFi/BT 4.0
    2GBs of RAM is min spec for Windows 64bit.

Also, there's been a few updates lately. It'll use up all your resources whilst it updates itself.

I'd be tempted to stick to a stick like Roku for Netflix and use the phone for browsing (can probably cast to the TV as well if need be)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Price of an Android box, running windows. Recipe for disaster.

Double-Triple the budget or drop the "mini" idea.

• Advertisement

Oh and for extra fun it seems theres a rake of chinese spyware preinstalled. Wonderful.

ED E wrote: »
    Oh and for extra fun it seems theres a rake of chinese spyware preinstalled. Wonderful.

on what?

glasso wrote: »
    on what?

The device the OP bought, going by what an amazon user found with MBAM.

yeah that one for £90 that the OP got is a false economy with poverty specs that don't cut it for any use really.

Beelink are a decent enough brand for stuff like this as far as it goes.

Just double checked (price too cheap) and it doesn't have a valid W10 licence (you have to buy it) - so you could end with a dead box anyway

I've another machine with 4gb of and a n3550 not much difference between that and the atom when using them.

If it's too slow as others have said send it back and get faster one with a mainstem CPU.

I find them fine but I'd never use them as my main pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's a low spec but should still run a browser easily.
    If you have only windows 10 and chrome installed, even 32gb would still have a fair bit of space remaining.

Check how much space is left on the storage drive first.
    Failing that do a complete clean install of windows.

If that fails, bring it back

Mines has about 16gb free with 32 bit Windows installed. 64bit takes up more space though. I must check the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The processor is seriously low-end. Though it shouldn't be pegged at 100% usage either - possibly the device needs to be updated and downloading the updates is eating into the CPU.

It should be grand for light browsing and video playback.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any recommendations for Sky Go etc. Just want something fast for browsing and streaming. No gaming or work at all.

Advertisement