Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a house and want to reconnect supply

Options
  • 29-03-2019 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought a house and it seems that they disconnected their electricity supply last August. I want to reconnect it but I'm having some difficulty. I called Electric Ireland and filled out the online form but I only received 1 email back a few days ago and nothing since. I'm wondering if you can help me? I received the following but they never replied to me afterwards:

Just contacting you in regarding your online application to register Electricity with us Electric Ireland.
    On review of your MPRN the previous customer registered at this property closed their account on 28th August 2018.
    As we cannot have a gap in consumption we cannot register your account from 23rd March 2019 until liability for this period is accepted from the home owner or letting agent.
    If you are renting the property please advise the letting agent or landlord contact will need to be made to Electric Ireland to accept liability before your account can be registered.
    Alternatively if you are the owner of the property can you please advise if you wish to accept liability from the above date?

I emailed back that I accept liability, but can you just clarify what it is liability for? Because it wasn't clear in the email and I want to make sure. I can PM you the tracking number included in the email and the MPRN. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kaji wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a house and it seems that they disconnected their electricity supply last August. I want to reconnect it but I'm having some difficulty. I called Electric Ireland and filled out the online form but I only received 1 email back a few days ago and nothing since. I'm wondering if you can help me? I received the following but they never replied to me afterwards:

Just contacting you in regarding your online application to register Electricity with us Electric Ireland.
    On review of your MPRN the previous customer registered at this property closed their account on 28th August 2018.
    As we cannot have a gap in consumption we cannot register your account from 23rd March 2019 until liability for this period is accepted from the home owner or letting agent.
    If you are renting the property please advise the letting agent or landlord contact will need to be made to Electric Ireland to accept liability before your account can be registered.
    Alternatively if you are the owner of the property can you please advise if you wish to accept liability from the above date?

I emailed back that I accept liability, but can you just clarify what it is liability for? Because it wasn't clear in the email and I want to make sure. I can PM you the tracking number included in the email and the MPRN. Thanks

There's a bill for line rental Ect, and probably a bill for disconnection / reconnection...
    Pay it, and argue later... (it's an expensive pain in the hole having no electricity)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi kaji,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

The email team requires a number of working days for response - we can advise sooner here in the Social Media department.

As Markcheese says, liability is for standing charges to keep the supply switched on before it was disconnected (if applicable) and also the fee of €79.45 to reconnect it.

We require the MPRN to advise more specifically, if you private message it to us, also confirming the address and your full name.

Thanks again,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks to the both of you. I'll send you a pm with my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sounds like you are being blackmailed into paying someone elses bill. I'd raise a complaint and then follow up with the regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi my3cents,

When an account is closed and there is no registration for some time, subsequent standing charges accrued before the next registration (and the reconnection fee if applicable) are not in any customer's name, so it is necessary for someone to take ownership of these costs through registration back-dated to the point that the previous account was closed. This is a standard process, and ownership is usually taken by the the property owner or agency, whomever agrees to it.

If there were a bill in someone else's name due to non closure of their account though, only the account-holder would be deemed liable for payment of this balance. The next party to register may be asked for proof of purchase or tenancy before they can be registered (depending on the amount of the balance due) however the balance would not be transferred to them for payment.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement