Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused bikes in the shed?

Options
  • 29-03-2019 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Recently had a chat to someone about how many people must have track bikes gathering dust in their sheds after moving away from the sport. Then we bother realised we had "winter bikes" doing the same. Just thought it might make for an interesting topic... the odd barn find is a great thing in the car world, but those who keep cars rusting away and planning to get to them someday are not celebrated as much. Does the same exist in the bike world?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking to someone about a year ago who has a damaged mercian pro in the attic. he damaged it when he was 25 (i think a chainstay got bent) and he's now 60, but did not realise mercian pro themselves will be able to fix it. he was sensible enough not to bin the bike, anyway,
    i haven't seen him since, so don't know if he followed up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I've a CAAD9 made in USA barely used that i've been shipping around from flat to flat while living in the UK and now to Dublin. Even got some cobwebs and rusty screws now. Not sure that would qualify as a "barn find" though. I'm sure there are plenty of Raleigh winners out there buried away too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

hoganj wrote: »
    I've a CAAD9 made in USA barely used that i've been shipping around from flat to flat while living in the UK and now to Dublin. Even got some cobwebs and rusty screws now. Not sure that would qualify as a "barn find" though. I'm sure there are plenty of Raleigh winners out there buried away too!

Saeco?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have 8 bikes in the garage! The most bizarre thing about them is that the amount of use they get is inversely proportional to their cost .... go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've a winter bike in the shed that gets used a good 5 months a year, I can't see myself digging it out til late September now except maybe to give it a good clean now.

I also have a Kona Paddy Wagon that I used to use a lot but haven't sat on it in about half a year I'd say. I'll probably dust it off again for some summertime jaunts with the wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Saeco?

Unfortunately not, just a jet black one. I quite like the look of this Saeco: http://community.vintagecannondale.com/attachments/ima1-jpg.1750/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was talking to an acquaintance a few weeks ago. He doesn't cycle but had a skip and was clearing out a garage in a relatives house who was a keen cyclist. He said it was full of bike parts, many of them new and still in boxes and would I have use for them.
    What sort of parts I asked.
    Stuff like chain rings, cranks, wheel hubs, brakes, levers, pedals he said.
    Any idea of brands I asked.
    Dura?........is that a brand?
    Dura Ace?
    Yes, that's it. All Dura Ace stuff. :eek:
    Yea, I might have a look I responded playing it down. :cool:
    I told him not to put anything else into the skip until I got over.

Unfortunately, he did a bit of Googling since our conversation and met me with a wry smile last night in the pub. He putting them up on Ebay. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I was only contemplating this during week....in the context of making space for a new bike....:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a bike that's not used, that i keep meaning to sell, it's a 10 year old ridley aluminium frame with 15 year old kit on it (5500 105 i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

There are hundreds of entry level Treks and Giants etc. out there gathering dust and rust. All Claris and Sora components with no name wheels and half inflated tyres. I don't think you could give away a Claris crankset if you tried selling it. You'd be very fortunate (as above) to find something with Dura ace on it lying around unused for a few years.

Anybody who needs a winter bike, has one at this stage, built up with 105 or equivalent. There's no real market for ex bike to works bikes, hence they end up corroding away in timber sheds or under a tarpaulin out the back. The only use for many of them will be scrap metal, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I pop my clogs you're all welcome to have a ferret round the lair for any decent stuff that's been festering there for a while....

(BTW that is not an invitation to hire a hitman)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beasty wrote: »
    When I pop my clogs you're all welcome to have a ferret round the lair for any decent stuff that's been festering there for a while....

(BTW that is not an invitation to hire a hitman)

I don't think I'd waste money hiring a hitman, I am far more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a Cube 29er hardtail that hasn’t moved in the last 12 months. I used to use it during winter but haven’t done this year. I keep the chain oiled and take it for a spin around the house to make sure the gears all work ok every now and then.

I use my winter bike all year round when it’s wet and my good bike only gets out when it’s dry (which isn’t too often in Donegal!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i have a bike that's not used, that i keep meaning to sell, it's a 10 year old ridley aluminium frame with 15 year old kit on it (5500 105 i think).
    Put it away in the attic or somewhere dry. It will be a bit of a novelty in 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

velo.2010 wrote: »

Anybody who needs a winter bike, has one at this stage, built up with 105 or equivalent. There's no real market for ex bike to works bikes, hence they end up corroding away in timber sheds or under a tarpaulin out the back. The only use for many of them will be scrap metal, sadly.

I've kept 2 bikes long term in wooden sheds, still in excellent condition and not a trace of rust.

Put it away in the attic or somewhere dry. It will be a bit of a novelty in 20 years time.
    funny enough, this is one of the reasons it's still in good nick, it spent years in an attic.
    it's a little big for me now, i was more easily able to ride it when i was young and flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've got an unused Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc in my garage for the last year, impulse buy that I never got around to using and in hindsight never needed

that's not quite what Harrybelafonte had in mind when he started the thread, i suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hurrache wrote: »
    I've kept 2 bikes long term in wooden sheds, still in excellent condition and not a trace of rust.
    I was juxtaposing people adequately storing bikes they no longer use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

A 58cm cbt italia Columbus sl road frame which I rode for years but now is in the shed with rusty chrome and gathering dust. As its really too big for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

If anyone’s got an old track bike please PM me before you think of putting it in a skip.

TGD wrote: »
    If anyone’s got an old track bike please PM me before you think of putting it in a skip.

Took words right out of my mouth. Lol. I know of a carbon track bike going on at the mo if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I have a Gintane in System U livery from 1987 I think.
    Dura Ace chainset feom pre quick release pedals. The axel is about 20mm spanner I think.
    Rest of the parts were mixed bag and well worn.
    Not sure what it might be worth.

Have a Gios Torino frame too that was burnt in a fire. It was stripped and primed but that's far as I got. Some lovely detail underneath the bottom bracket.

Gios Torino is life defining desire frame

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Took words right out of my mouth. Lol. I know of a carbon track bike going on at the mo if interested.

Thanks, but more interested in a nice steel one (unless the carbon is Small and cheap!)

TGD wrote: »
    Thanks, but more interested in a nice steel one (unless the carbon is Small and cheap!)

Nope. Good price, but not small. Proper small steel track bikes not easy to find. Fixies are though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Gios Torino is life defining desire frame

Are you into restoration?

Are you into restoration?

No. Neither patience nor time tbh. I did strip a nice Benotto before to redo but discovered it had been badly revealed when I got it down to bare metal. Never touched it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I've got an unused Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc in my garage for the last year, impulse buy that I never got around to using and in hindsight never needed
    PM me if you are interested in selling this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ckeego wrote: »
    PM me if you are interested in selling this!!!
    I live abroad I'm afraid so probably wouldn't bother shipping / bringing it home. I've three road bikes when I only really need two so will make a call on which to get rid of / give to my brother over the summer

Advertisement