Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused bikes in the shed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

I have a Gintane in System U livery from 1987 I think.
    Dura Ace chainset feom pre quick release pedals. The axel is about 20mm spanner I think.
    Rest of the parts were mixed bag and well worn.
    Not sure what it might be worth.

Have a Gios Torino frame too that was burnt in a fire. It was stripped and primed but that's far as I got. Some lovely detail underneath the bottom bracket.

What size is the Gios frame? Just frame or frame and forks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I still have the remnants of my Aravis Tourer in the shed. I keep saying I'll use it to learn how to build one up but have not got around to it yet.

Also have my Croix de Fer which was left in work for a year. Taken home, used for a while and then left back in the shed due to the seized seatpost saga.

Lastly, have a Tour de Fer frame that's been sitting in my parents attic for quite some time now. I have everything required to build it now, I'm just a bit lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Having re-read this post it really sounds like one of those "sorry but that's bull***t" stories. That being said here you go:

Having a chat with a neighbor a couple of years ago and they were clearing out the shed after their father had passed away young enough due to heart issues. The father was big into cycling but none of the sons/daughters were and none had the first clue about bikes. So she tells me they found a couple of bikes in his shed and do I want them. They were going in a skip if I didn't take them and a couple of them look old! Now as the house was in Drogheda and I live in Wicklow I said sure send me on some pics and I'll tell you if they are worth saving.

I immediately told her under no circumstances are they to go in a skip and they are to sell them. Again they persisted on me taking them but I just couldn't do that to them. I got in contact with his old cycling club and they sold the bikes off with the money going to the care ward where we spent his final days. I'm not going to say the total they sold for but among them was...

Cervelo R5
    Battaglin SR replica
    A raleigh banana :)
    Vitus 979

In the interest of honesty I will say that I did accept quite a few of his bike tools including a park tool kit and in return made my own donation to the medial unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Our garden shed is quite full. 4 hybrid bikes for the kids and a fifth I use for commuting. All those are under active use, though my daughter doesn't use hers very often.

One "winter" bike kind of, an aluminium road bike I bought second hand. I was told it was 54 cm - which would be a decent fit for me, it is actually 58cm or possibly even more. Funny thing is the guy who sold it to me was my size so perhaps similar had befallen him. That bike is rarely used but my tallest child does use it occassionally, and there is a friend of mine who has borrowed it once or twice. I used it regularly for several years though, so i got my money's worth out of it.

One specialized mountain bike that was originally bought for my eldest son, but he has moved on to a hybrid. I keep intending to sell that on. i see it is €500 new:

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/specialized-pitch-650b-2019-mountain-bike-EV306346?1=-1&esvt=55262-GOIEE6406824&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1385768-1&esvwa=NISO_Mountain%20Bikes_Specialized_2019_Normal&esvwc=IE_Shopping_PR_Bikes_Mountain%20Bikes&esvcrea=320148788329&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-342786717021&esvo=EV306346-M-RDBK&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIzlBRDzARIsABgXqV_yMGZo0kIelNag-VNdRdT3OXWGLqkd1GbhVGyKF1CEfajiDGMQfxsaApyEEALw_wcB

finally my good road bike is too precious for the shed and is kept upstairs and indoors in the warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

I've a Giant TCR aluminium frame (from the Team Once Era) built up as a TT bike with a mix of campy and shimano parts and 9 speed carbon neuvation tubs stored in the basement in case i ever decide to dabble in tri's again.

Also have my pride and joy TCR built with 9 speed dura ace (also from Team Once era) hanging up in the shed as I rarely cycle at the moment. It's a bare anodized frame, so no paint and an engraved once man on one of the tubes. However, the joy it brings just looking at it is worth it to keep it there for whenever I do find a few free hours and a nice sunny day. I bought it in 2004 or 2005 for £750 from a guy in London while visiting my brother for a weekend. Brother was driving back to Ireland a week or two later and was staying over-night in Liverpool, he was so paranoid about getting me my new steed back in one piece he smuggled it into the hotel rather than leave it locked in the car overnight. Best cycling purchase I ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not very exotic, but I have an old Dawes Fox with Huret shifters hanging up on a roof tie in the shed.
    I "might" get around to restoring it some year soon..... !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I have a "Jupiter" mountain bike (shimano gears) that is my snow / bad weather bike. It's generally in the shed, bought it for 20 quid off a mate who was moving to Switzerland.

Other than that from Spring to late Autumn I'm on a Giant defy composite 2 every day in and out of town and during the worst of the weather all the bicycles are locked up and on a motorbike instead.

(yes I'm a fair weather cyclist please don't hate me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Have a few bikes in the shed but none are unused. Some used a lot more often than others.

Ridley Carbon - winter commuter and long spin bike
    4 steel bikes
    80s Basso SLX with Dura-ace down tube shifters. Best shifting bike I've ever owned.
    80s Marastoni with C-Record. Can be seen on classic rendevouz site.
    70s Masi previously owned by a former pro - now deceased. He finished 3rd in '67 World Champs alongside Merckx and Janssen.
    80s Pug with 94 Record. My summer commuter.
    2 steel frames, one is a Carlton from the 50s.
    1 crappy mountain bike for going to town or the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Have a giant peloton 7000 sitting in the shed. My brother did the ROK with it a few years back and I adopted it as a commuter for college then. Its patiently waiting for a revival

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

One old Cilo frame bought many years ago and ridden into the ground. I kept it under the impression it may be worth something. I was wrong!

1 unknown brand unpainted steel frame. Used to a fixie. Used to be ridden occasionaly. Now dismantled.

1 Viner colombus steel frame in the process of being rebuilt. Lovely Dura ace wheel set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I have a Gintane in System U livery from 1987 I think.
    Dura Ace chainset feom pre quick release pedals. The axel is about 20mm spanner I think.
    Rest of the parts were mixed bag and well worn.
    Not sure what it might be worth.

Have a Gios Torino frame too that was burnt in a fire. It was stripped and primed but that's far as I got. Some lovely detail underneath the bottom bracket.

Would be interested in the Gitane if you ever decide to sell.

We get the odd 'barn find' in when old bikes are being dropped in for recycling; a 1980 Colnago Sprint with Campagnolo Victory groupset, old Raleigh racers..and a 1973 Flandria that my sister pulled out of a skip, complete with first gen Dura Ace from 1973/74!

The problem with a lot of them is people Googling, recognising the name as the same as what they have, and thinking they're worth top dollar when they need 100s of euro spent to restore them....just look at Adverts or Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

8valve wrote: »
    The problem with a lot of them is people Googling, recognising the name as the same as what they have, and thinking they're worth top dollar when they need 100s of euro spent to restore them....just look at Adverts or Donedeal.

Yeah. I remember the guy looking for a couple hundred for some rusty pos Raleigh that looked like he’d pulled it out of a swamp.

Have been on the lookout for an Ilkeston 753 for awhile but too stingy to pay top dollar. I’d bet very few made it to this country. Come up regularly enough in UK and EU sites but prices have been driven sky high due to one keen collector’s blog activities and a few restorers looking to profit.

hesker wrote: »
    Yeah. I remember the guy looking for a couple hundred for some rusty pos Raleigh that looked like he’d pulled it out of a swamp.

Have been on the lookout for an Ilkeston 753 for awhile but too stingy to pay top dollar. I’d bet very few made it to this country. Come up regularly enough in UK and EU sites but prices have been driven sky high due to one keen collector’s blog activities and a few restorers looking to profit.

Watch out for ads for bikes made with Reynolds 501, that the seller claims were used in the 'Tour De France'...!! Lot of genuine enthusiasts out there; lot of chancers as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not exactly the gold that this thread looks to be seeking out. I have a recently enough retired 2015 Cube Peloton SL. Ultegra derailleurs and everything else 105s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

C3PO wrote: »
    I have 8 bikes in the garage! The most bizarre thing about them is that the amount of use they get is inversely proportional to their cost .... go figure!

Thats funny.

I have one bike thats worth a good deal more than the others. It is so comprehensively locked that I rarely take it out, its too much hassle!

Conversely, my cheapest bike - the raggedy old trek with a child seat on it - was stolen last year; and that was such a disruption as I had been using it nearly every day. I figured that because it wasnt worth much, that I didnt need to be so careful with it. Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

have a 2017 Kona Paddy Wagon in the shed, moved out of town due to crippling rent and I don't use it at all in the 'burbs...

not sure whether to sell it or not.. no idea if I'll ever really use it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Miklos wrote: »
    I also have a Kona Paddy Wagon that I used to use a lot but haven't sat on it in about half a year I'd say. I'll probably dust it off again for some summertime jaunts with the wife.

second on the Paddy Wagon, love it but don't use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

guym wrote: »
    What size is the Gios frame? Just frame or frame and forks?

Will have to double check. Think it's 23.5inche. Fork also. I have all the parts that were omit. I must gather it all together. Might take a few pics of it. Shimano 600 and deore parts but it would look special restored properly.

Advertisement