Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sacked whilst handing in notice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In my last employed role which I left 5 years ago I was approached by another firm in the same town. With 6 months of very casual negotiations I agreed to join after Christmas and I handed in my 2 months notice (had been there 2 years).

I had sincerely hoped and expected to be put on Gardening Leave for November and December which would have been a lovely break but oh no I had to work out my leave purely because my employer could not find anyone to replace me.

I was able to use the time to flagrantly breach my contract by taking existing contacts with me to my new role...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nah. If you are still under probation it doesn't matter. The employer will just come up with some BS anyway.

And if you are not on probation? They can't fire you because you fired them, which is what you do when you resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

He was in a senior sysadmin role. That's one of the few positions that can wipe a company permanently off the map or do serious damage at least.
    It's common enough to see immediate action on roles like these once notice is handed in.
    It's unpleasant but a reality of working life.

The fact that he was there such a short time would mean he wasn't in a position to have stood up a huge amount of stuff that would need handovers, but at the same time would still have a lot of access to systems and accounts, best to terminate immediately.

From my point of view I'd have approached it differently and just explained that he can go on gardening leave. Wished him the best and that'd be that.
    Company gets peace of mind and he gets a paid break.

Advertisement