Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Metal restoration process for a classic car

Options
  • 29-03-2019 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My father is at the early stages of restoring a classic car and I am looking for some information and guidance to ensure the job is done to the best standard possible. He is experienced in terms of welding and general cutting/repairs so this is not an issue - it is more a case of finding out the best approach and products to use throughout the process.

The car has various types of rust issues around the body. For example there are a number of rust holes in the floors, the bottom of the boot door is rusty, the panel where the boot door sits has some rust and there is surface rust around various panels on the outer body.

The rust holes in the floors will be cut out and a new piece of metal welded in. Should the new piece of metal and the metal of the car be treated with a rust converter such as that made by Wurth prior to the piece being welded in? Is it also okay/possible to sand down these rust converters or weld over them without losing their effectiveness?

As regards the boot door, I have seen this kind of rust repaired by competent fabricators and it would be difficult if not impossible to obtain a replacement. Can anyone recommend someone in Munster who could repair the boot door?

As regards the panel where the boot door sits, the rust here is only minor and it is not structural. As an alternative to welding (which can lead to further rust in future), would some form of cold weld/glue product be suitable for bonding the new pieces of metal to the car?

The surface rust is around various outer body panels. Would it be okay to rub these down until fresh metal is reached, treat with a rust converter and then build back up with fillers/high build primer as required?

Finally, the repairs will all be taking place over a period of 1-2 years, so what is the best thing to do with the metal for the period between each repair and final paint being applied in order to prevent fresh rust? Should the surface (post repairs) be coated in rust converter and then in red oxide?

The goal with this project is to eliminate all rust and ensure no rust appears again for as long as possible. I would appreciate recommendations for any of the products required as I know each one acts differently and has different requirements.

Many thanks for any assistance that can be provided.

Comments

Advertisement