Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook - message recall failure - from different mailbox

Options
  • 29-03-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭

I sent a few emails to a list of recipients (all individuals).
    Due to an error I did a 'recall' to get most of them back so that I could send the mail again when fixed.

One of the "message recall failure" messages I got has come from a mailbox that I didn't send the email to :confused:

Thoughts? Delegated email of some sort?
    To clarify - internal network with e.g. 1000 email addresses, sent to 100 email addresses. Message recall failure received from one of the other 900.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This is tricky situation you got yourself into, there appear to be to many variables to match for this to work at all.

Don't take my word for it... could be an alias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This is tricky situation you got yourself into, there appear to be to many variables to match for this to work at all.

Don't take my word for it... could be an alias.

Nothing worrying for me here smuggler, just talking about a generic email with no sensitive information on it - just had couple of typos so recalled and resent.
    Not following what you mean by "tricky situation"? Edited first post to clarify situation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Nothing worrying for me here smuggler, just talking about a generic email with no sensitive information on it - just had couple of typos so recalled and resent.
    Not following what you mean by "tricky situation"?
    Well... if no "sensitive" info there you grand, however, as you probably know, "recall" works only within same domain, outlook, etc. , etc. This where there is no guaranty it would work at all. Even in ideal situation, where your original message was recalled/replaced, there is still way for recipient to read "original" message without notifying you about it. See this

Re message reporting returning from other address than it was send to i think alias could potentially explain, as message actually being delivered to mailbox that you not even had clue about.

If this could be confirmed, it would potentially indicate flaw in outlook/exchange ability masking real mail address as alias intend to do..similar to situation where if you going to reply to message that was send to your alias, you have ensure to change "from" as it will do from default account, exposing real recipient.

Advertisement